IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

On Set w/ MattyB

MattyB

I worked 2 days on a low budget pilot last week so I thought I'd share some pics. The plot basically consists of a guy who inherits 2 million dollars from his grandmother. The only stipulation for getting the money is that he needs to become completely eco-friendly. The conflict is that he's a beer drinkin, monster truck drivin', non recyclin', lazy American man! I play his best friend. It's a lead role for me, and even if the show never gets picked up, it'll be a nice credit for my resume and great footage for my reel. I work 2 more days next week so I'll continue the pix after that. Here's what we shot last week:

GG-003.jpg

Sound tech, Hanna and Director of Photography, Roman doing some official setting up. I was drinking coffee and yelling at extras like the arrogant actor I am. :angry:

GG-004.jpg

The first of the Kraft services snacks arrives. A good sign. Low budget can be anywhere in the range from: A guy with a camcorder to several hundred thousand dollars. You just never know sometimes. Although I knew the director has lots of large credits so that was promissing.

GG-005.jpg

Lighting dude/grip guy checking out his thingymibobber stuff.

GG-006.jpg

Paul came over last night so we had some cleaning up to do before shooting. :lol: This scene was shot in a house in Venice, CA. Prop guys setting up the beer pyrimid or beer-a-mid as I refer to it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

GG-007.jpg

In the opening scene, my friends girfriend, destroys my beer-a-mid with a swift karate chop! The prop dude had to set this thing up approximately 20 times. :mrlooney:

GG-008.jpg

Director Henning Winkelmann checking out his shot as the beer-a-mid gets rebuilt once again. We're shooting on high quality digital cameras. Maybe HD, I'm not sure exactly.

GG-009.jpg

Actor Tanya, who plays China my girlfriend, jumping in for a quick pic. Her hands move fast. :bemused:

GG-010.jpg

More setting up. The camera man is just lounging.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-011.jpg

I'm not sure exactly what this guy's job was. He was funny though.

GG-013.jpg

Henning & Roman deciding how to set up the camera.

GG-014.jpg

Rory who's the star.

Elizabeth who's his girlfriend.

Tanya who's my girlfriend.

GG-015.jpg

Rory hard at work

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-016.jpg

Junk food jumbalaya. We did have lunch served, that was nice. If you like pizza!!!!

GG-017.jpg

And here I am being the redneck that Jeff Searle taught me to be.

GG-019.jpg

I always wondered how you spell "monstor". :blink:

GG-020.jpg

End of shoot day 1. This is David Westberg, my manager. He's a super great guy and is letting me crash at his house while were shooting in LA. I'm very greatful of people like David and all the palm talk people who've opened their homes or have offered to let me stay with them while I work on stuff in LA. It's the only way I can do this thing and still live in San Diego.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-021.jpg

David's dog Scout!

GG-022.jpg

She's a pigmy Labrador Retriever and super cute!

GG-023.jpg

Awwwwww!

GG-025.jpg

Next day. Lunch at In N Out Burger. Ya'll on the east coast are missing out! The chick in the foreground isn't with us but I harassed her anyways.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-027.jpg

We shot this day in La Habra very close to Dave's house on Lambert at a monstor truck dealership! This was my dream sequence where I fantasize about having 2 million dollars, and buying a bunch of trucks.

GG-029.jpg

Look familiar Dave?

GG-030.jpg

GG-031.jpg

Here you go Kris, I thought you'd like this one! :drool:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-032.jpg

They had some sand rails too. Basically beefed up dune buggies with huge V8 engines in them.

GG-033.jpg

GG-035.jpg

GG-036.jpg

Me getting mic'd up. Looks naughty so don't tell Jen.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-037.jpg

Hey bebe wanna wrastle?

GG-039.jpg

GG-040.jpg

Assistant Director

GG-041.jpg

John Godley played the dealership owner and the hot chick, forgot her name because I was looking at her rubber pants when we were introduced, played my butler. She carried an umbrella and a tray of burgers around while I jumped around buying cars and asking for crazy modificatons like built in beer taps.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-042.jpg

Seriously, you needed a 4 foot ladder to get in.

GG-043.jpg

GG-044.jpg

GG-045.jpg

Peter, the wardrobe dude for scale.

OK that's it for now. I'll post some more pics after next weeks 2 shoot days. Chow! or whatever they say.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That suped up dune buggy is pretty cool---only in America :lol:

Good luck with the pilot. Your current president is going to focus on environmental issues and alternative sources of energy-- so the show has added relevance.

What other redneck tips did Jeff Searle give you?? :lol::mrlooney::blink:

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

Matty,

WOW, I didn't think I was such an influence on ya. :lol: I hope you do well with your part and a step closer to stardom.

Now, can you send me some acting advice over my way? I recently sent off my 5th, 3 minute audio tape and application a few weeks ago and just went to a casting call to give a 2 minute tape to be on Survivor. The odds are tremendously against me! :rage: Can you throw me a tip or two? Any connections with the director? :)

On a serious note, good luck.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

GG-036.jpg

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

GG-036.jpg

Well, I have to say, she doesn't exactly have a look of thrill on her face. LOL. It is more like how much do I get paid to do this stuff.

Bet she'd make a great matron at the womens' prison . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

GG-036.jpg

Well, I have to say, she doesn't exactly have a look of thrill on her face. LOL. It is more like how much do I get paid to do this stuff.

Bet she'd make a great matron at the womens' prison . . . .

Oh Dave, now I am truly ROFLMAO.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yeah, Matty that does look familiar (not the chick feeling you up, or the one in the rubber pants) but the place is so La Habra . . . . .

Hmm. West of Harbor.

Ride my bike past there on many a wild night . . . .

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Yeah, Matty that does look familiar (not the chick feeling you up, or the one in the rubber pants) but the place is so La Habra . . . . .

Hmm. West of Harbor.

Oh Dave, you need to come to the south. Live a little, why don't cha.

Another pilot Matty ? let's hope this one stays afloat, it has the right theme to be of interest.

now about your girlfriend in the show, look, just pm me for advice there, I think I can help. :evil:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Now, can you send me some acting advice over my way? I recently sent off my 5th, 3 minute audio tape and application a few weeks ago and just went to a casting call to give a 2 minute tape to be on Survivor. The odds are tremendously against me! :rage: Can you throw me a tip or two? Any connections with the director? :)

Jeff - Good luck on getting on "Survivor" . I know that that show is pretty close to your heart. I would be fun to watch someone from the board on the show.

With all your palm hunting exploits you should have pretty good credentials for the show.

Any chance the next location will be Madagascar???

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

GG-039.jpg

Matty- How'd you sneak the artsy fartsy pic of mic girl and you in?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Good luck with the show, Matt. We're all waiting patiently for you to become an overnight success. B)

"Oh, yeah, Matt Bradford, I knew him when he created Menambe Levaka and grew palms. Yeah, I bought some palms from him, but that was before he became famous." :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Thanks for the support guys and gals. Dave, it was just a couple of blocks east of Harbor, in between the Home Depot and IN N OUT.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty,

Break a leg as they say in the biz! Hope it works out and we can all I knew you when.

Jeff,

Good luck with your Survivor try-out. Had no idea you were so interested to be on the show. If I ever was picked I would make sure I got voted off early so I could spend some quality time at the nice hotel in some exotic location!

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

Thanks for the support guys and gals. Dave, it was just a couple of blocks east of Harbor, in between the Home Depot and IN N OUT.

Well, dang, my poor ole brain must be getting fried! (Like an In - & Out burger!)

I remember that blue car, it's hard to forget.

Keep us posted! We're all rooting for ya!

SERIOIUSLY! :)

Hmm. West of Harbor.

Oh Dave, you need to come to the south. Live a little, why don't cha.

OH, YEAH, WHEN THE CHANCE ARISES . . . .

Good luck Matty!

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Thanks David. I wish I could stop by and visit you. I'm staying just down the hill from you on Vista St., just near Fuller and Hollywood. But I'll be too busy to get a chance to. I'll hit you up sometime though. Maybe in the spring when everything is poppin'!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-036.jpg

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

GG-006.jpg

Paul came over last night so we had some cleaning up to do before shooting. :lol: This scene was shot in a house in Venice, CA. Prop guys setting up the beer pyrimid or beer-a-mid as I refer to it.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Day 3

GG-065.jpg

Shoot day three starts out at Rainbow Acres health food store in Venice, CA.

GG-066.jpg

Actor's Rory (L) and Chris (R, dat a big boy), chill out while the shots are set up. Rory and I stop in asking for directions to a hippie commune where he's supposed to meet the executor of his grandma's will.

GG-067.jpg

Deli service counter

GG-068.jpg

We did some fun bits with the dried food items. I eat some and do some spit takes....hilarity ensues.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-070.jpg

Mmmmmmm, Colon Kleen, my favorite.

GG-074.jpg

On the road to the next location. Driving up the PCH Highway 1 towards Topanga Canyon. I did some drive-by shots here. Santa Monica beach.

GG-075.jpg

Houses clinging to the cliffs.

GG-077.jpg

Support Travis Searle.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-080.jpg

And up Topanga Canyon Blvd. we go. Topanga Canyon runs up the coastal mountains above Malibu.

GG-082.jpg

The canyon walls are very steep. This spot must get super cold from all the cold air drainage.

GG-083.jpg

GG-089.jpg

Rory arrives and wonders, "where the hell are we?"

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-090.jpg

We were on a ridge line that had a view of the valley north and a view of the ocean south. Amazing!!!!!!

GG-091.jpg

Little cabin at the hippie commune.

GG-092.jpg

Looking north over the cliff.

GG-094.jpg

They are required to clear brush 200 feet down this cliff every spring. Per LAFD.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-098.jpg

They had a wind generator.

GG-100.jpg

Some cool rock formations

GG-102.jpg

view south, over Santa Monica bay looking towards Palos Verde peninsula. Hi Ashton!!!

GG-105.jpg

Hippie lady making tie dye.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-106.jpg

Eh heh heh heh, a witches brew!!!!!

GG-107.jpg

And then the fun started. They were setting up an outdoor shower for the next shot. Rory and I are supposed to walk up on a hippie chick taking a shower. Oh yeah.

GG-108.jpg

GG-115.jpg

I felt so sorry for this girl. Here she is in between takes trying to warm up. At least they had warm water for her. She wore pasties and the set was cleared for her comfort. The nudity will be implied in the show, you won't actually see anything.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-109.jpg

The drizzle cleared up a bit so I got a few shots before we left. Looking down towards Santa Monica pier.

GG-111.jpg

GG-112.jpg

Looking north towards the Valley, Thousand Oaks, Calabassas, etc..

GG-114.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

GG-118.jpg

You can see Century City and Downtown LA here.

That's all for now. To be continued next week.....rain pending.....

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Great pictures of the Big M . . . .

Yow, that is some hippie commune! How long have they been there? What are their, er, practices? :blink:

Hmm. An open-air shower? Okay, suspending disbelief . . . . It would seem that the hippies even get an enclosure. No nudity? Darn-darn-darn-darn, etc.

Don Tollefson's got a place up in that general vicinity, splendid isolation, though no city view.

And, remember, a clean colon is a happy colon! And, trust me, boys, girls and hermaphrodites, you want a happy colon . . . . .

GG-021.jpg

David's dog Scout!

GG-022.jpg

She's a pigmy Labrador Retriever and super cute!

GG-023.jpg

Awwwwww!

GG-025.jpg

Next day. Lunch at In N Out Burger. Ya'll on the east coast are missing out! The chick in the foreground isn't with us but I harassed her anyways.

joe's best burger in queens, ny is a knock off! so this coast knows.

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

I was told I'm going to be in a commercial for my company, I wonder if I should take pictures too? :huh:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!