IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

A PALM OASIS RIGHT UNDER OUR NOSES

sur4z

nice to see garden sculpture that compliments the palms--this sure fits the bill imo.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

here is another...

CIMG0912.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Now to continue the journey towards the more obscure and arcane of Palmography:

Picture579.jpg

Picture580.jpg

Well,it is nothing but a Belizian Rat Tail.I could not find this Specimen in any Palm Literature. And the strange journey continues...

You piqued my curiosity with this one, so I looked it up. Definitely a current name, and --where is Metalfan when we need her?-- another common name for this palm is Vampire Palm! :lol:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/42899/

It seems to me Florida has gazillions of obscure but special palm gardens. You could do a PRA there every weekend and not run out of destinations for years.

Bubba, is that really your mashed car??? How does this fit into the sculpture garden? You lost me somewhere. But the Licuala are cool, always love those orbicular leaves. :) (More fun to say than 'round'.) Ask MattyB if the Guardians are flashing gang signs.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana is pollinated by bats. I've tried these as seedlings, but they all shocked very quickly. Some amazing palms on show here.

here are a few more from my wanderings...

CIMG0910.jpg

copernicia alba

CIMG0911.jpg

pseudophoenix sargentii (i think)

CIMG0913.jpg

syagrus coronata

CIMG0914.jpg

sabal mexicana

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

And the journey continues... I apologize for off-topic car mashy-mashy but Pedro and I had a Gentleman's Agreement that Bubba would have no pictorials and he shoots my dirty mug with broken foot and swollen feautures. Beyond that I am a Tangent,one broken thought after the next.Enough and onto the germane at hand....Some more Licuala Booty:

Picture539.jpg

Followed by a Cuban Palm that I wonder if it is correctly identified because all Palm Literature suggests a swollen belly that of which I see no evidence:

Picture563.jpg

What you look for is what is looking

As so identified:

Picture564.jpg

More to come and the Game has barely started!

The roots definitely look like a G. princeps. Check out plate 416 in the ECP and you will see several on a cliff with no bulge.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

And the strange journey continues with more of the obscure:

Picture518.jpg

None other than:

Picture519.jpg

Thank you John for your concern.

the journey continues...

CIMG0916.jpg

pritchardia thurstonii

CIMG0919.jpg

not an ant but a spider

CIMG0921.jpg

can you guess what this caged beauty is??

• Upvote 1

--Avett Bros

can't take you anywhere...

--Avett Bros

let's see if someone can identify this beauty.

CIMG0925.jpg

--Avett Bros

here are a few more from the Ann Norton sculpture garden...

CIMG0929.jpg

pritchardia aylmer robinsonii

CIMG0930.jpg

lantania verschaffeltii

--Avett Bros

Pedro,That would not be a juvenile Borassus aethiopum/Black Rhun Palm or are you just throwing us a curve-ball?

This is for Epic even though he is probably out at Torrey looking for Andy Williams:

Picture577.jpg

Picture578.jpg

• Upvote 1

A very old and tall Neodypsis leptocheilos taken from two views because it was covered up:

Picture529.jpg

The Palm to the right is a very old Bismarck but the Teddy Bear is in the middle of alot of vegetation.Accordingly,I took a straight shot of it's trunk at eye level:

Picture535.jpg

More to come....

Pedro,That would not be a juvenile Borassus aethiopum/Black Rhun Palm or are you just throwing us a curve-ball?

that would be a big 10/4 little bubby...i mean buddy.

--Avett Bros

CIMG0914.jpg

sabal mexicana

Nice pictorial guys! some cool palms ive never heard of before.

that ain't no Sabal mexicana....looks more like a yapa (large leaf form)

or maybe a mauritiformis?

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Pedro, I heard your curve-ball was very slow.What did they say about your fast ball?

...and when you get tired of counting palms you can sit and count stars.

CIMG0928.jpg

--Avett Bros

thanks for the sculpture pic.some of the best ive seen.

still curious about the history.i didnt see anything on that yet but pardon me if i missed it,just grabbing quick glimpses between work here.

anyways,fantastic thread! :)

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

This is great stuff and I hope there's more!!!

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

Dewd, Pedro provided a link somewhere but it does not include the full picture. I will try to fill in some details. Ralph Norton,a Chicago industrialist among other things,retired to West Palm Beach in 1939.In 1941 he got bored and founded the Norton Museum of Art just up the street from his house.The Norton Museum of Art has grown to a 122,500 foot facility and is world renowned.

Ralph's first wife passed in 1947 and he remarried Ann. Ann was an incredible artist/sculpturist and in 1979 she established a foundation.Ralph Norton passed in the mid-fifties but he initially acquired 150 rare palm specimens and planted them around his house in the late 1940's.Palms were another passion that he shared with Ann. I do not know where he got the first 150.(maybe Fairchild?)Ann's desire was to promote artistic growth and inspiration.Their house is the Ann Norton Sculpture Garden.You can view her studio,major artworks together with a Palm garden that now contains over 300 species.It is an incredible gift to our area and to everyone.

Dave,There will be more as we have just scratched the surface.It is great to have others interested.

Pedro, Ignore me,but I did hear your fastball was....

Wow, that sculpture

is made of brick.....

a pleasing form

both tall and thick....

Palms and art

go together, it's true.....

is the other side

a barbecue?

....seriously, those are some really cool pics.......... with the sculptures and palms it must be an awesome garden in person.

Thanks for posting the pics, guys!

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

thanks for the sculpture pic.some of the best ive seen.

still curious about the history.i didnt see anything on that yet but pardon me if i missed it,just grabbing quick glimpses between work here.

anyways,fantastic thread! :)

there is not much on the web, but maybe this site will help...

http://www.ansg.org/photos.htm

--Avett Bros

The Magical Mystery tour continues:

Picture495.jpg

This thing will lumber up and leave if you are not careful:

Picture496.jpg

How Hairy do you girls like your "Old Men":

Picture488.jpg

If you do not like this tall one,there is always another:

Picture489.jpg

Both these guys had to be 12 footers