IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Aussie summer weather reports

Tyrone

Down here in Drybart we finally had some rain - hooray!

A nice thunderstorm dropped 25mm on us last night, which is near miraculous for bone dry and sandy South Arm, where I live.

Mind you, it only penetrated the sand about 25mm, as most of it ran off in the first downpour.

Hopefully the runoff will recharge our ground water and reduce the salt levels a bit.

A couple of my Liv. australis were sitting in a puddle 100mm deep this morning - they'll be loving it!

Fingers crossed for some backup to really soak in.

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Well the weather's had a temporary change here today. Very high humidity and cloud cover with cooler 27C temps and very sticky. Great growing weather. Rain for the next coupla days, then some rain further on next week, then a predicted bone dry March.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

It's been raining almost every day here too. Too much really. Everything is really soggy...can't mow because it's too boggy. Palms are lovin' it though!

Ari, I can't even cross the creek, and it is so muddy over there, I will never be able to put a bobcat on it!

Daryl

That is why I love our block.... hardly got any standing water.... so a few hours of sun, and the mower is back in operation. Every single non-rainy hour, Scott is on it!! Otherwise it will get out of control pretty quick....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Another bad fire day is forecast for tommorrow.

There are lots of fires still burning and we will get very strong winds.

No rain for several months in Melbourne itself.

Theer are lots of towns in the forest that have not been burned.

Its not looking good.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

I hope everything doesn't get out of control again Chris.

It's been cool with low twenties here the last couple of days, and we've had about 10mm of rain. Back to 30C tomorrow then 35C and Sunday is in the thirties with a tropical thunderstorm. Back to summer again.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Another bad fire day is forecast for tommorrow.

There are lots of fires still burning and we will get very strong winds.

No rain for several months in Melbourne itself.

Theer are lots of towns in the forest that have not been burned.

Its not looking good.

Fortunately it seems the fire scare was just that.......

Seems its a rare coincidence of factors that causes the fire storms every 30 or so years.

chris.oz

Last day of summer tomorrow for us, early autumn is when I usually see the palms and bamboo have a surge of growth, I'm confident that will occur again.

Good luck to the northern hemi sphericals for the upcoming growing seasons.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Yes, goodbye summer. Autumn still produces strong growth with not so harsh temps and a bit more rainfall and humidity. March is warmer on average than December over here. Thunderstorms this arvo after a 35C max, then 34C tomorrow and thunderstorms. By mid to late March we'll feel the temps and dewpoints drop with cooler nights, and the weather will be pleasant for a few months, then will commence the slide into that most dreaded season, Winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes, goodbye summer. Autumn still produces strong growth with not so harsh temps and a bit more rainfall and humidity. March is warmer on average than December over here. Thunderstorms this arvo after a 35C max, then 34C tomorrow and thunderstorms. By mid to late March we'll feel the temps and dewpoints drop with cooler nights, and the weather will be pleasant for a few months, then will commence the slide into that most dreaded season, Winter.

Best regards

Tyrone

Overnight temperatures are already down . I caught my wife turning on the heater last week. Trying to stay as green as possible and save money we try to delay it.

chris.oz

Wow Chris. Melbourne is just so extreme. Early in the month you were getting 48C weather, and later on in the month, heater weather!!!!! I noticed on the Melbourne forecast that you'll have a 33C day and then 18C the next during this week sometime.

We got to 37C today and then we had some thundery showers. The heat from the sun was enormous today. I was doing a bit of tropical landscaping at a house in South Perth, and when the sun came out behind the thundery clouds I almost felt like falling over dazed. I got the job finished and then it came down with a bit of deep rolling thunder. I've got the air con on now, and tomorrow it's more thundery rain and 31C then the dewpoints and temps drop to more autumn like weather. The synoptic situation is more like autumn after that with a high pressure system of 1034 hPa parking in the bight with strong easterlies over here, and more southerlies on the east coast.

Best regards

Tyrone

Florida is entering the spring drought/wildfire season. The rapid decline of house prices might possibly create some new incentives for arson.

We are somewhat blessed in that it's nearly impossible for summer temperatures to exceed 35 C (95 F), and along the coast, highs are normally 30-32. It's the opposite situation--sudden desiccating winter cold due to air moving directly from Alberta--that gives us trouble. Another winter factor is distance from the ocean. I'm just far enough inland (4 miles, 6.5 km) for enough cooling to be able to grow a few varieties of camellia. Can't do that nearer the beach. Perth must have modest temperature fluctuations compared to Adelaide and Melbourne.

For what it's worth, the portion of California around Los Angeles recently received enough winter rain (mediterranean climate) to possibly yield spectacular fields of native annual flowers at Antelope Valley and other locales. I'm not aware that Perth's mediterranean climate is accompanied by anything like California's amazing flower fields.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Hopefully we still have the 'storm' weather for another 2 months. Last year, the dry was a month early... someone flicked a switch in April, instead of 1st of May. Darwin is another extreme... from hot and humid and wet, to dry and cool the next. The dry is the most pleasant time of the year for people - that is why we are full of southeners in the dry... not so much for plants. Time to get my vegie patch established and my irrigation fixed. Hopefully it won't be a long and dry one this year...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Dave, Perth can have it's share of temp fluctuations, but not that of Melbourne. Melbourne is known for it's "4 season in one day" weather. If only they got winter a bit more with the rain lately, so they're really 3 seasons in one day. I think the difference is Perth is a good 800km futher north and on the west coast. Perth will get warm winds from the N and E, and humid cooler weather from the west and south, so the extra humidity tends to prevent too much temp fluctuation etc. Melbourne seems to be in an area where winds can swing from any direction rather quickly. Northerlies can be super heated in summer, so the temps can fluctuate wildly depending on wind direction, as the southerlies etc will be significantly cooler. Also being at 38S Melbourne is not far from the "roaring forties" which race around the globe.

As far as wildflowers are concerned, Perth gets 3 times the rainfall of LA, and West Oz is known as the "Wildflower state". The hills around Perth and the South West up to about the 26th parralel light up with massive wildflowers displays in late winter and spring. Tourists come over from all over the world and the country to see them. Coach tour companies are set up for this event. WA is probably very similar to So Cal in many ways.

Best regards

Tyrone

Yes Melbourne is quite changeable. Now we are getting warnings that the northerlies will reach gusts of 150 km/hr next Tuesday, and then a 120 degree wind shift with winds of similar strength. Fires are still burning and there has been no rain, so even though it will only be 35 C we may be in for some more fires, and given that on that bad Saturday the winds weer only up to 100 km/hr, it looks bad again.

Lets see what happens.

chris.oz

150kph!!!!!!! For those thinking in imperial terms that's around 94mph!!!!

I certainly hope the winds aren't that bad Chris. A bushfire with 150kph northerlies would be another inferno. I really hope it's not going to be that bad. :(

My thoughts will be with you over there.

Best regards

Tyrone

I certainly hope the winds aren't that bad Chris. A bushfire with 150kph northerlies would be another inferno. I really hope it's not going to be that bad. :(

Best regards

Tyrone

They are recommending evacuation this afternoon. This is a major operation, and if you have never been to the the Dandenongs just go to say Belgrave, Tecoma, Emerald on Google earth .. there are 100s of houses in there and there are other places like Eltham, Mt Evelyn etc etc the list goes on.

chris.oz

Best regards

Tyrone

They are recommending evacuation this afternoon. This is a major operation, and if you have never been to the the Dandenongs just go to say Belgrave, Tecoma, Emerald on Google earth .. there are 100s of houses in there and there are other places like Eltham, Mt Evelyn etc etc the list goes on.

chris.oz

Chris, are they evacuating Gembrook and all the way the down to Belgrave as far as Ferntree Gully? My rellies live in Gembrook. :( Has the Bunyip fire taken off again???

Best regards

Tyrone

Chris, keep us up to date with what's happening over there. There are thousands of homes in that area of the Dandenongs. I remember not far from Emerald there were houses built on the side of hills, almost like tree houses in heavily timbered areas. They won't stand a chance in a fire.

regards

Tyrone

WA is probably very similar to So Cal in many ways.

Tyrone

Except it's 100 times larger, with 100 times more wildflowers, 100 times prettier. :winkie:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

No fires to speak of, low temps , high RH. 120 km winds, but luckily nothing major this time.

Residents all gone home !

CHRIS

chris.oz