IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Warm season, Southern Hemisphere

Tyrone

I just thought I'd start a weather topic that is about the warm season in the Southern Hemisphere, but if your up in the North, feel free to take part too.

We just had the warmest night so far of 23C after a day of 31C, but no thunderstorms mentioned actually came. They are predicting a humid 30C today, and at 8.30am it's already past 28C. I watered like mad last night, so things will start to get into overdrive in the garden with this. My little R oleracea is now about as tall as me and is pushing about 3cm of spear a day. Going at this rate it will have pushed 7 or 8 new leaves by the time winter arrives.

This isn't bad weather for us this early in the season. Last year was dismall with temps around 20C, nights around 8C, cloudy and rainy at this same time in Oct. This year will be a real quality palm growing season I think.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

As posted in another thread, heres the data from my weather station for October 2006 thus far.  I am at 28.192N / 82.7557W.

Sorry its in Fahrenheit :(

DATE MONTH MAX TEMPERATURE MIN TEMPERATURE

1 October 86.7 65.1

2 October 90.7 67.8

3 October 89.2 70.9

4 October 89.1 70.3

5 October 89.6 68.5

6 October 86 67.5

7 October 86.9 68

8 October 82.2 66.9

9 October 77.9 61.9

10 October 80.6 61.9

11 October 83.7 64.6

12 October 85.1 69.8

13 October 85.1 65.7

14 October 80.8 65.8

15 October 83.5 61

16 October 85.3 67.1

17 October 84.6 70.9

18 October 88 73.4

19 October 87.4 73.4

20 October   87.4 73

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

As usual our Spring weather is crazy. Last week we had 37c and 36c maximums two days running, followed by only 17c several days later.

Thursday was 30c, yesterday 29c and today just 16c after a strong southerly change.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Frost-free within 20 km of coast

Here is the days forecast for Brazil, also down south.  Although locally here in Amazonas we are going into our winter season, which is the rainy season the country as a whole is going into summer.  

BrazilforecastOct21.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Hi Guys

Been good here: Lots of rain, warm to hot humid days and nights havent touched below 19c for a good while. Palms are growing great guns!

Cheers

Dennis

post-35-1161762511_thumb.jpg

Sub-tropical

Summer rainfall 1200mm

Annual average temp 21c

30 South

I'm totally envious of your weather Dennis. You are really quite tropical in Durban.

Is that one of the Verschafeltia's you had mentioned  a while back planting against a wall area. Looks good.

My sucesses this last cold season, were a protected Areca catechu, an Areca vestiara which is kicking on in the warmth now, a protected Satakentia, and some J altifrons in my greenhouse. The catechu and Satakentia will be unprotected next winter, so that will test them, but I think they'll be OK. I like giving things the best treatment early on, but after that they're on there own. I plan to try a Carpoxylon this winter with some assistance from plastic. My large H indica is probably going to successfully flower this summer, I can see that it is "pregnant" at the moment with a bulge forming rapidly under the crownshaft. Some fresh locally grown seed should be awesome for germination.

regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

hm, your winter (that's what we call the season when it is meant to be cold) has just finished and you already report temps warmer than our summer temps.

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.

Temps are good here but no rain, very dry, very sad.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Snow is forecast down to 600-700m on the Great Divide tomorrow in the south.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

It got to 30C today. Retics been going a lot.

It's 29C and humid tomorrow, and now it's hot and muggy inside at 9pm. Nothing below 24C for the next week, mainly mid twenties. Very stable weather.

Dennis, nice pic of the indica. If you can find one try a Satakentia again. I think you may have had a dud. Mine although covered thru winter, pushed a spear, opened it, and was pushing a second before I pulled the cover off. I watered it every few days so that the plastic sweated a great deal. I don't think these want to dry out at all in winter, cos where they come from it rains all year round from cold fronts in winter to monsoonal activity in summer. The winter weather on the Ryukyus is around 14C min to 18-20C during the day and moist, so my thoughts that if they dry out in winter they could be history. A friend of mine put his little satakentias at about 4 leaf stage into a rock pebble garden bed arrangement that gets a few hours of fullsun in winter and although they yellowed a bit, they bulked up really stumpy and are taking full warm sun at the moment here in Perth. My friend likes torturing his palms and he gets some surprising results like with his Calyptrocalyx which he treated exactly the same. It lived and grew thru winter!!

Anyway if you can find a Satakentia, grab it, it should grow for you, you must have had a dud I think.

regards

Tyrone

It's 32C at the moment and too hot to work outside. It looks like a big thunderstorm cell is heading my way according to the radar. Summer is definitely here.

It's just the opposite over here, Tyrone; cool and very windy. There are some bushfires in the Blue Mountains, not helped by these cool but strong southerlies.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

It's been weird weather over here. Weather has been warm into the low 30's C, but today was windy, and  cloudy with thunderstorms in the mid twenties, with a tropical depression coming down the coast. The trend for the next few days is this low to hang around off the coast with unsettled showers and storms for the next week. Good growing weather.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, back to 17c maximum on Thursday. Could be the coldest November day for a while.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

November has been averaging around 15-16min to 26-27C max. Glorious. Yesterday was 34C and today they're forecasting 34C. Tomorrow 30C and rain. We've been getting a fair amount of humidity too. The highest if seen on the humdiity meter in the last few days was over 90% at night.

Crap: Hail,  temps close to a June minimum. Still not a lot of rain.

chris.oz

Bayside Melbourne 38 deg S. Winter Minimum 0 C over past 6 years

Yippee, the drought is over.

Today according to the records for Port Macquarie a low of 8C is the record to beat for Nov, its now 9C in my backyard and raining.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

I feel for you guys in the SE with all that southerly wind crap and cold fronts. You are reliving the west coast a year ago. When you were having 40C plus temps we were getting rain and SW cold fronts and temps in the low twenties. We really didn't get summer last year. This year in the west is a copy of the east coast a year ago. The temps night and day have been consistent and warm with an abundance of humidity and everything is going great in the garden. We're expected to get 36C next Thursday. If it gets that warm and no more this summer I'll be happy, but somehow I think we'll get an abundance of 40C days which I'm not looking forward too.

I noticed Brisbane last night had dewpoints around 20C but when I clicked on the BOM this morning the dewpoint had dropped to neg 5C. What's with that??? Real crap that is. I hope the east gets some serious warm rain soon.

regards

Tyrone

Sydney had it's coldest november day in 101 years today...looked pretty cold on the news.

It's not too bad here in southern QLD..days are still OK, but the cool clear sky last night and tonight have put our minimums down to 12C. Luckily these cold blasts lose their intensity once they travel this far north of Antarctica.

My main concern has been the supercells we have been hit with in the last week...three direct hits on my place...good for rain, luckily the hail fell just south of me...others weren't so lucky.

Don't you just love storm season...

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Daryl, yes, 8.3c degrees was the lowest November temp sine 1903. The max of 15c was unusually cold too, though a long way above the 12c recorded in November about 20 years ago.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

I thought it was safe to but my 2 bottles out in the garden  for the summer. Our area recorded lows that potentially will kill them.   I will have to wait and see when I get back.

chris.oz

It's not a pretty picture here at the moment with uncontained fires burning in the Blue Mountains and hot and windy weather forecast for the next two days. One of the problems is that last week's cold spell drove out any moist air, and none has been able to leak back in from the Coral/Tasman seas.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

Certainly our weather do not take its normal path.- This past week we had another record.-

In the mountains of here there was temperatures of 36º C. and a snow with -2º C in the same week of november (spring).-

EXTREMELY DRY, DESERTIC.- Plants suffering the lack of rains.-

Where are the rains??  Are up there? Read that theres dry in Australia, so where is rainning? Where are our argentine november clouds?

The overnight minimum in Sydney was an amazing 26.7c and today's max was 38c. There's a nice southerly change blowing outside now and the temperature has tumbled , but unfortunately no rain to speak of.

The fires are still out of control, but amazingly no property is threatened.

Philip Wright

Sydney southern suburbs

One sign of changing climate is the invasion of a range of types of cockroaches which were unheard of in Melbourne until recently.  They are every where in our garden now,  and clearly now survive winter,  whereas the may not have in the past.

Our weather is dry and a bit cool................for this time of year,  but we are getting lots of sun each day !

chris.oz

• 3 weeks later...

It's about 41C here at the moment and I'm inside with the air con on. It's too hot to do anything outside. I've been watering lots. We're meant to have high humidity for the next few days. Tonight will be 21C min and tomorrow will be 33C and humid. If I can keep things from burning, there are a lot of growth degrees in this weather.

Tyrone

The last few days have reminded me of Cairns. Mins around 22-23C, max's in the low 30's dewpoints around 21C and thunderstorms with the odd shower. Clouds and overcast with almost no wind. Very muggy. Great growing weather. Palms think they're in Hawaii :)

Tyrone