IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Santa Ana

MattyB

Well, it's bloody dry here the last two days.  Luckily we haven't had the high winds along with it.  Here's some local relative humidities for our area yesterday.  The temp number represents how much warmer it was yesterday vs. tuesday.

14% Carlsbad +13F degrees

19% Downtown SD +12F

17% Imperial Beach +11F

10% Oceanside +15F

14% Otay Mesa +15F

12% Miramar +14F

12% Clairemont +20F

09% Ramona +18F

07% Alpine +18F

18% El Cajon +17F

16% Escondido +15F

13% Fallbrook +15F

18% Julian +10F

12% Campo +11F

11% Laguna +6F

With RH's between 10% & 20% how's your palms look?  I'm watering every morning.  The more I pay attention to the weather, the more I appreciate how darn dry it actually is compared to normal....or other places.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

(MattyB @ Oct. 20 2006,18:16)

The more I pay attention to the weather, the more I appreciate how darn dry it actually is compared to normal....or other places.

Especially here - it's been so humid lately, it's like re-living August. Fuuunnnnn............. I'm looking forward to the "cooler" air next week - finally, maybe a good hair day!!!

Dangerous humidities/dew points [12%/26 dew]. Thankfully winds have been insignificant except in Cajon & Tejon passes.

Warm & quite dry:

NoCal :

San Francisco : 80/57

San Jose : 83/59

SoCal :

Santa Barbara : 87/53

Los Angeles : 90/63

Palm Springs : 93/60

San Diego : 80/59

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

It's pretty dry here in Granada Hills too. Although we had HUGE winds, 55+ a few days ago. Yuck!

Today was:

Temp: 84/58 F.

Humdity: 25%

Winds: 6MPH

:)

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Winds are essentially neutral though they will likely kickup again overnight.  Warm and quite dry means increasing irrigation  :(

San Fransisco : 82/58

San Jose : 85/53

Los Angeles : 89/60 / San Fernando valley : 96

San Diego : 74/58

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Well it's warm today but extremely windy. I notice that the reports do not accurately report the strength of our winds here as I live just at the base of a mountain pass, and it's extreme.

The Roebs, Rivularis', Bamboo, Washy's are all bending back and forth - but Bismarckia doesn't move that much.

It just opened up a new frond in time for the winds, and it's so stabile in even the highest wind gusts. GO BIZZIE! :D

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

4:00pm PST Thursday:  The skies have turned completely grey/brown and the sun is dim and orange.  A huge fire burning near the Palm Springs area is about 90 miles away (as the crow flies) and the Santa Ana winds are blowing the smoke and ash our way.  The fire was started by arsonists who knew that the dry and windy conditions would be favorable for a fire to get out of control quickly.  They have subsequently murdered 4 fire fighters, 4000 acres, and countless wildlife so far.  A$$holes! :angry:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I've been listening to this on the news. It's so sad - and now that someone started it?!?!?!

I sure hope they catch them.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

A psychopathic person no doubt   :o

It is scary today.  Strong winds with below 0 dew points and single digit humidity.   :o  :o

LA  : 87/59  

Windy areas will stay in the 60's overnight but calm sheltered inland : 40's  Frost warning in upper Mohave/Palmdale    :P   Tomorrow will be hot.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Oct. 26 2006,21:18)

Strong winds with below 0 dew points and single digit humidity.   :o  :o

I thought it was dry here when my station logged this as Ive never logged a dewpoint this low---

Minimum dew point: +26.4 °F at 07:55:00 on 24 October

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Oct. 26 2006,21:24)

Minimum dew point: +26.4 °F at 07:55:00 on 24 October

What.... here?!  Bleah  :P

But happ's single-digit humidity really sounds bad.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(MattyB @ Oct. 26 2006,18:50)

4:00pm PST Thursday:  The skies have turned completely grey/brown and the sun is dim and orange.  A huge fire burning near the Palm Springs area is about 90 miles away (as the crow flies) and the Santa Ana winds are blowing the smoke and ash our way.  The fire was started by arsonists who knew that the dry and windy conditions would be favorable for a fire to get out of control quickly.  They have subsequently murdered 4 fire fighters, 400 acres, and countless wildlife so far.  A$$holes! :angry:

This is horrible news - I saw some of it on tv tonight and it was just awful - people's homes burning down, people leaving, knowing they'd probably have nothing to come home to.

But the worst was the deaths of the firefighters.  It sure is murder, and I hope they catch the sicko who started it.

Matty, from your descriptions, it sounds as if you're very close to the fire.  I certainly hope this isn't the case.

Thoughts and prayers to all who are in the area - what a nightmare it must be.

St. Pete

Yeah it was murder. Also people lost livestock - Horses, cattle, pets. And alot of homes were burned. A man was burned trying to evacuate his house. And this afternoon it was reported 400 people were trapped at an RV park because the fire had taken over the road out.

They're offering a $100,000 reward to capture the scum that did this! The fire chief is p*ssed!

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

I'm no where near the fire, about 100 miles away, it's just that it's so big that we're getting all the smoke blowing southwest towards our way.  It's grown to over 23,000 acres burned now with 15 firefighters dead!  The smoke cleared and pushed south of us overnight and you can see it hanging above Tijuana Mexico now.  Gonna be hot and dry today.

My Edit:  Sorry, it's 4 firefighters dead not 15.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Windy areas will stay in the 60's overnight but calm sheltered inland : 40's  Frost warning in upper Mohave/Palmdale    :P   Tomorrow will be hot.

Dead calm all day/night at my place.  I usually never even have a breath of wind during Santa Anas.  The downside was a low of 9C this morning....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Yeah, we were about 50F this morning but it's already back into the 80's

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I wish I could say I didn't get those winds! Palms would be alot happier (and me too!) :D

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(MattyB @ Oct. 27 2006,12:37)

I'm no where near the fire, about 100 miles away, it's just that it's so big that we're getting all the smoke blowing southwest towards our way.  

Thank goodness you're far away from it.  23,000 acres? Just horrible.  I sure hope no one on the forum is having to contend with it, but still, so many people are.

What a terrible tragedy.

St. Pete

(elHoagie @ Oct. 27 2006,13:34)

Dead calm all day/night at my place.  I usually never even have a breath of wind during Santa Anas.  The downside was a low of 9C this morning....

To find the wind, look at the minimums :

Getty Center : 67

Granada Hills : 68

Point Mugu : 65

Malibu : 60

Fire setters are quite sick though their thrill is watching the fire not murder.  Quite pathological and strangely related to sexual urges.   :o

Advection of bone dry air continues but canyon/pass winds will lower for a while.  Cooler marine flow next week   :D  

LA : 88/60

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

(happ @ Oct. 27 2006,20:43)

(elHoagie @ Oct. 27 2006,13:34)

To find the wind, look at the minimums :

Getty Center : 67

Granada Hills : 68

Point Mugu : 65

Malibu : 60

Ahh, but I'm going to be trading windy Granada Hills (Where I live in a continual wind tunnel) for just as windy Palmdale on Sunday for an air show at Edwards AFB. Should be fun.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

(Scott @ Oct. 28 2006,01:34)

Ahh, but I'm going to be trading windy Granada Hills (Where I live in a continual wind tunnel) for just as windy Palmdale on Sunday for an air show at Edwards AFB. Should be fun.

Scott

Granada is sunset zone 19, right?  Do you ever see frost?

Another warm night.  All the windows open with nice breeze.  72F @ 11PM   :cool:

How do you manage irrigation needs during windy periods.  Almost non-stop   :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Another cold windless night here.  I'm sitting at 13C with a dewpoint of -2C just before sunrise...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

(elHoagie @ Oct. 28 2006,09:23)

Another cold windless night here.  I'm sitting at 13C with a dewpoint of -2C just before sunrise...

What's interesting is that within 5 miles of your location the minimum was 70F in the San Rafael hills [ & other windy areas].   :P  

Santa ana  is mercifully dying down.  Sunday evening will usher in tranquil onshore breeze of moist Pacific air   :D   Containment of the Esparanza fire will occur soon   :D

LA : 90/63

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi Happ- Yeah I gotta water pretty frequently. The water bill has really shot up since I got into palms, so I'm watering every two days - except for the Rivularis. They're everyday.

Once or twice a year I guess there's frost. I've never paid attention before. But now with all these palms, you can bet I'm gonna be looking :)

It's beautiful here today, and now I'm going to Edwards for that air show.

Today in Granada Hills is:

74F/ 49F. Dew Point is 30F.

Humidity: 30%

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Big cool down today with moist marine air replacing the arid winds of the recent santa ana event.  Drop in temps were 10-15 degrees & more cooling should occur into this week.  Fire should be out soon.   :D

LA : 77/57

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Today's a real cool down also, with some marine layer in the AM giving way to hazy sunshine later:-

67° F | 51° F

Dew Point 51

Humidity 75%.

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

• 2 weeks later...

Sheesh... it was 95 at my house yesterday and 92 the day before that... very dry... definitely cools off at night though, down into the mid 50's.  I believe the heatwave is supposed to taper off today though...

AS in SA,

Santa Ana - CA.

Still a bit warm but much better than yesterday  :D  Cool down/ mild period.  

Don't see any rain in the near-future   :(

LA : 87/67

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23