IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Construction @ Manambe Lavaka

MattyB

[b]Making Progress

deck-005.jpg

Now were talkin'

deck-006.jpg

deck-007.jpg

deck-004.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

deck-003.jpg

deck-002.jpg

deck-001.jpg

Almost done.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Looks great, Matt, very solid looking. Did you get the construction connection from gtlevine? Is the deck material that indestructible recycled faux wood stuff?

Plant a couple of palms below; when they are grown you can step onto the deck and into the canopy. :) (Still preserving your views, of course.)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Matt,

You're making great progress! Next time I'm in San Diego I'll definitely have to stop by and enjoy the view! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Yeah Bo, we'd love to have you.

Kim, one of the companies Steve recommended refered me to Bret Shimkus GC 619-994-4573. He's been great at figuring out how to deal with all the little custom stuff that adding onto the exisiting structure entails. Also, he had experience with supporting houses on stilts before. He designed the whole idea with the 4" x 6"'s so we didn't have to use the angle supports. And yeah, it's Trex or Trek composite decking material onto all pressure treated lumber. Should last a long long time. We reused the old handrails to save money. I had them grit blasted and powder coated at R.W. Little Co. for about $800.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

We used Trex for the smaller bridge across our little canyon here, but that was only a few years ago, so too soon to tell how it'll hold up. But, looks promising.

Incidentally, can't help but have visions of the members of the PRA team practicing bungee jumping off your upper deck...! :lol:

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I just remembered that you were in one of my dreams last night Bo. I can't remember why but you were staring someone down like you were gonna fight them....cause we all know how violent you are. Wierd! :lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That's great Matty, looking good, I bet you are both thrilled.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wow, great deck!

Hmm. Let's do the hoppity-hop on the Suicide Terrace and see if it really is an improvement . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Tear out the greenhouse, put in a swimming pool and it's be perfect.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

The new deck looks great Matt . Whats your next project ? a drip irrigation system for out back !!

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

You've got it Tassie! I've got my valves in for two stations, and I just finished the hard part of trenching and burying the PVC lines under the road so I can drive over them. Gotta continue the pvc and then start adding in the flex hose and drip emitters. Exciting. I'm hoping to have 2 stations fully automated by this summer's heat: The Rainforest, and The Fruit Trees.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

It is finished...

deck-008.jpg

I got the lower deck put back together. The Kentias make it look nice.

deck-011.jpg

deck-015.jpg

I repainted the paneling while the contractor had the scaffolding still up.

deck-016.jpg

Here's a construction detail of how he decided to do the support posts. The old posts were rotted due to them sitting directly on the concrete footings. Water would pool here and wick up the grain of the wood. So he installed the posts 1" short of the footing, screwed a metal plate to the bottom of the wood to combat any moisture wicking, and dry packed a high PSI mortar underneath it to raise it up. Pretty nifty.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

deck-017.jpg

East Elevation

2546Helix-024-1.jpg

remember before...

deck-019.jpg

Here it is now.

deck-020.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

deck-021.jpg

deck-023.jpg

deck-024.jpg

Now we can sit out on the deck and enjoy the view of the weeds.

That's it! You'll see it in person if you come to our BBQ this summer. :)

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Very nice Matteo. Looks like it's ready for a parrrrrrtay.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Been there done that. Feels great to get it done and have it come out looking so nice. Good job.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Hooray!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

yer next bill

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Nice project Mat. The view is great.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

yer next bill

Just passed my insulation inspection today, Thank you. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Congratulations! Like Bill, I to have house that just does not want to get done. I promised my daughter that this year it would be done. Cheeky 7 year old wanted to know which month! The view looks great Matty. Enjoy it.

Rob

Trinidad!  Southernmost island in the Caribbean.

So many plants, So little space.

looks so much better with the scaffolding & wood pile gone!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I told him he could dump it in your driveway dewd. :evil:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

deck-016.jpg

Here's a construction detail of how he decided to do the support posts. The old posts were rotted due to them sitting directly on the concrete footings. Water would pool here and wick up the grain of the wood. So he installed the posts 1" short of the footing, screwed a metal plate to the bottom of the wood to combat any moisture wicking, and dry packed a high PSI mortar underneath it to raise it up. Pretty nifty.

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Wow! Thanks for the pic and explaination Don. So that Piquia goes directly in the concrete, no metal risers, ie Simpson/Strong Tie brackets? Must be some tough stuff to handle the moisture of the tropics effervescing through that concrete into the wood. I'd love to see more pics Don.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt,

I will send you some pictures of the project as it gets further along by PM. The wood is so dense thet it does not absorb moisture easily. There is another species, angelim vermelho that we ship to Holland for use in the water works there. They line the canals with this wood, as well as make the canal gates and infrastructure with it. They have to replace it I believe every 20 years, but that does not mean that the wood is bad. They just do it as a precaution. You find fallen trees of the durable woods scattered around the forest that could have been there for maybe 50 years or more and still not rotted. Whereas soft wood species might disappear in a year or two. I have some posts that I had on a lot of mine supporting a water tank that I pulled up because I sold the place. These are of another durable speciesm tanimbuca. I actually cut them directly from a tree. They have worm holes in them from when the tree was alive. There were termites living in colonies on the posts in the holes, but they did not eat any of the wood and the posts where they went in the ground with no concrete were fine. I am going to use them in another project later. Hardwood decking material like ipe is not as resistant for ground contact. But, in a deck it will probably last from 50 to 75 years in your climate if not longer. I believe it will outlast the composit decks like you put in, Not, that the plastic will rot, but it proabably will not be as intact as the ipe in 50 years.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

That is tremendous. Hope to see a pile of Livistonas planted this season. I wish my deck was higher, I can't see anything anymore, just blasted palm trees at every angle.

Matty, another cdee for the bbq ? I have a better guitar, voice is almost there (quit ciggies 2 years ago), new set of tunes, send me some lyrics this time.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

wal this time you gotta be there in person!!!

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

yeah a WaLP

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"