IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Floridians....Heads Up

epicure3

I get this email about once a week since, unlike other weather blogs, there is usually some stuff for us west coasters. I got this today. Doesn't mention freeze but I thought I should post it nonetheless. This is from WeatherAmerica.

With any neutral to negatively tilted storm undergoing rapid deepening, a cold pool over Canada can be tapped and dislocated. This appears to be the case with the February 1 - 3 system, as the numerical models show a strong cAk vortex and aligned trough stretching from Quebec into Florida early in the new week. High winds may accompany the disturbance in its north and west quadrants, accenting chill factors and allowing for quick southward delivery of the Arctic values. Three of the forecast model choices (OpGFS, OpECMWF, GFS ensembles) support a far below normal surface temperature array as far south as the Florida Keys by February 4.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

I get this email about once a week since, unlike other weather blogs, there is usually some stuff for us west coasters. I got this today. Doesn't mention freeze but I thought I should post it nonetheless. This is from WeatherAmerica.

With any neutral to negatively tilted storm undergoing rapid deepening, a cold pool over Canada can be tapped and dislocated. This appears to be the case with the February 1 - 3 system, as the numerical models show a strong cAk vortex and aligned trough stretching from Quebec into Florida early in the new week. High winds may accompany the disturbance in its north and west quadrants, accenting chill factors and allowing for quick southward delivery of the Arctic values. Three of the forecast model choices (OpGFS, OpECMWF, GFS ensembles) support a far below normal surface temperature array as far south as the Florida Keys by February 4.

Thanks for the "heads up" John. These winter 2008-09 "cold fronts" have been inconsistant at best, and hardly moisture-laden at all. (I would gladly take a few cool fronts if we'd also get some rain down this far south.) Here in South Florida, we're going to be in record shattering drought territory again in '09. Tempertaures this far south are supposed to be in the lower 40's after the cold front's passage. My own area's palms/tropicals won't be in any serious danger, but I guess, from Tampa across to Orlando, and on east to Daytona Beach there probably will be temps. in the 20's. :unsure: Arrghhhhh!

These are always quickly "repaired" by warm springs but the hot and dry summers will be the real killer as we grow so many of Madagascar-NE Australia-Carribean Basin palms. These palms just don't "cotton to" drought all that much but what can one do? Replant, spend $400.00 a month on water (like I do), or just hope that a few weather "surprises" in future days are good ones!

We "here" appreciate your report, (and reports like yours). Being prepaired IS always beneficial in horticulture, am I not correct, Epi! :winkie:

Your friend,

Pablo

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Yes...this next blast is due to arrive tomorrow. So far, forecasts are only showing ~40F for the lows though.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Not good. Some of the worst freezes have historically happened during the first 10 days in February. Tampa's last Feb freeze was on Feb. 5, 1996......25 degrees at TIA.

The CPC's maps backs up the potentially cold scenario. One unusual thing I see is the warm weather from the plains to the NE where the cold weather would originate. It doesn't appear that south Florida escapes this one Pablo. 20's for me mean 30's for you.

CPC 6-10 day long range

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

It's pouring here right now. Is rain a good or bad thing with the impending cold ready to drop on us ? 50% chance tomorrow too. Here in St. Pete I am looking at a supposed low of 44

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

The situation next week will be a low pressure system forming in the Gulf of Mexico and then moving NE across the NE metro areas as a nor'easter.

It will be a similar setup to the 1993 superstorm but probably not nearly as severe or intense. Still, it has the potential to deliver a rush of cold air south into Florida with very gusty winds. Just how cold remains to be seen. We're still almost a week away so we need a few days to iron-out the details.

There may be impressive snowfall into the Deep South with this system along with coastal flooding along the Atlantic seaboard. Stay tuned...

Man not again man i am getting tired of this crap LOL any how i just saw NOAA forecast discussion and

they talk about the nature coast they are not sure if there will be a freeze or not if we have a event like of 89

i am done with palms all this cold weather worrying about this and that takes out the hobby glued to the computer its starting to taking its toll.

anyhow here 's my forecast zone i dropped accuweather.

TWC

FRI 30 44

sat 31 42

tues 2/3= 43

wed 2/4= 44

thurs 2/5=46

NOAA

Fri 30= 43

sat 31= 44

Tues 2/3= 45

Wed 2/4= 49

Thurs 2/5= n/a

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Falcon,

Okay I will bite.

How do the temps you are forecasted for even reconcile with an event of 1989 proportions?

Was that(1989) in the NOAA discussion regarding next week?

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Fortunately, NWS is predicting above-freezing weather for Friday and Saturday nights, after a wet Thursday night and Friday.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Not good. Some of the worst freezes have historically happened during the first 10 days in February. Tampa's last Feb freeze was on Feb. 5, 1996......25 degrees at TIA.

The CPC's maps backs up the potentially cold scenario. One unusual thing I see is the warm weather from the plains to the NE where the cold weather would originate. It doesn't appear that south Florida escapes this one Pablo. 20's for me mean 30's for you.

CPC 6-10 day long range

Ughh! Well, at least I have a 65 F. lake right at my NW corner of the property; that'll save the back yard. I'll bring in the "tenderest" fortunately containerized palms! Boo!

To quote "Sit 'N Sleep": "You're Killin' Me, Larry!" This is probably Epi's fault! :winkie:

Pablo

CPC 6-10 day long range

Ughh! Well, at least I have a 65 F. lake right at my NW corner of the property; that'll save the back yard. I'll bring in the "tenderest" fortunately containerized palms! Boo!

To quote "Sit 'N Sleep": "You're Killin' Me, Larry!" This is probably Epi's fault! :winkie:

Pablo

PS: So this AccuWeather Prof. Range is bogus???

Currently

76Tonight

65Tomorrow

74/48Saturday

65/53Sunday

72/61Monday

78/58Tuesday

71/46Wednesday

66/51Thursday

69/55Friday

70/62Saturday

72/65Sunday

76/66Monday

78/60Tuesday

78/53Wednesday

69/51Thursday

68/56Friday

I AM confused now!

Pablito

What most of those private weather outlets do (AccuWx and The Weather Channel) is simply re-package the model output from one (usually the GFS) model when they compile their 10 or 15-day forecasts. There's usually not much, if any, actual forecasting in those numbers. So take them with a grain of salt. They are only good for about 3 days out.

Edited by jasons

What most of those private weather outlets do (AccuWx and The Weather Channel) is simply re-package the model output from one (usually the GFS) model when they compile their 10 or 15-day forecasts. There's usually not much, if any, actual forecasting in those numbers. So take them with a grain of salt. They are only good for about 3 days out.

Jasons,

And that is being overly generous saying they are only good for 3 days out? :lol:

But whether it be the private weather outlets, or the NWS predicting temps even the night before, usually they have at least a 3 or 4 degree margin of error one way or the other!

I take even the night before with a grain of SALT! :winkie:

just sayin!

But when someone brings up 1989 it makes palm people sit up and take notice,or at least it did me .As that was the last freeze we all seem to set the bar at!

And if they didn't at least think those temps were a possibility ,the year 1989 should not even be mentioned in weather forecast for Florida,as far as I'm concerned!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

NWS is suggesting 32 degrees in Orlando Tuesday night. Certainly looks like some interesting weather between now and then. This weekend's Gardenfest sale in Vero Beach may have trouble with cool windy weather.

For what its worth, here are the guesses for Central Florida. The next few days look cold but above freezing (except for the West coast):

Accuweather

Tampa

Jan 30 34F

Jan 31 30F

Orlando

Jan 30 38F

Jan 31 37F

Melbourne

Jan 30 40F

Jan 31 37F

NWS

Tampa

Jan 30 37F

Jan 31 40F

Orlando

Jan 30 37F

Jan 31 36F

Melbourne

Jan 30 39F

Jan 31 41F

Weather Underground

Tampa

Jan 30 31F

Jan 31 31F

Orlando

Jan 30 36F

Jan 31 36F

Melbourne

Jan 30 38

Jan 31 40

The guesses for next week do look a bit more grim, especially for my neck of the woods:

Accuweather

Tampa

Feb 3 29F

Orlando

Feb 3 29F

Melbourne

Feb 3 32F

NWS

Tampa

Feb 3 38F

Orlando

Feb 3 30F

Melbourne

Feb 3 34F

Weather Underground

Tampa

Feb 3 34F

Orlando

Feb 3 29F

Melbourne

Feb 3 34F

I'm looking forward to spring.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Tuesday night also looks windy, so dessication is likely to be a problem.

FWIW There are some certain weather outlets that scream 1989 almost every single winter at some point - and it has yet to happened since, well, 1989.

Those events are very, very rare and everything has to be aligned perfectly for something like that to happen.

While - yes- we'll need to keep a watch on the weather next week and there may be another freeze threat in Florida, I don't see anything on the horizon that resembles 1989.

The situation next week will be a low pressure system forming in the Gulf of Mexico and then moving NE across the NE metro areas as a nor'easter.

It will be a similar setup to the 1993 superstorm but probably not nearly as severe or intense.

Let's hope not! March of '93... once was enough.

Scott said:

the year 1989 should not even be mentioned in weather forecast for Florida,as far as I'm concerned!

Hehe yeah. And we could say the same for '93. Anyway, so far I think our worst lows are forecast to stay in the low 40's. But there's time for that to deteriorate, isn't there :hmm:

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

I have some stuff already protected for a freeze tonight, even though weather underground is the only one predicting sub 32 temps (nws is next lowest at 36), so hopefully I'll luck out so I don't lose the unprotected stuff.

How bad was March '93? It was MARCH for crying out loud. If its going to be like this for two more months, I'm going to have to throw in the towel soon, because protecting 20 some palms two nights each week takes a lot of time.

Well the yard will be changing this spring; many of the 10a palms will be moved underneath the small amount of canopy, which will become crowded, and the open areas (80% of the yard) will be dedicated to sub-9b palms, as I originally intended.

It would be nice if there could be heat plants or something north of us that could produce steam or something to produce cloudcover to trap heat over the city during the night. Something like that could raise temps 10+F. I know it would be possible on a large scale, just like when there are large fires the smoke often travels for hundreds or even thousands of miles. Never gonna happen though.

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

out so I don't lose the unprotected stuff.

How bad was March '93? It was MARCH for crying out loud. If its going to be like this for two more months, I'm going to have to throw in the towel soon, because protecting 20 some palms two nights each week takes a lot of time.

Surgeon, the superstorm of March '93 wasn't a freeze event for the Tampa Bay area. It was a wind event, with some reports of 80+mph. But the tornados... ! On the beaches, in places whole houses washed out from storm surge, and in Deckle Beach there were 17 people killed. Across the state, there were 40+ deaths. We had driven from Pinellas over to Orlando after that storm and it looked like a bulldozed had gone across the state, with billboards, trees, sheds blown down.

The media called it the "No-Name Storm" because it hit like a hurricane. Very scary night here, and worse because some tv stations (like the one we were watching!) didn't forecast it - it was one h*lluva nasty surprise. Even the Weather Channel admitted they "dropped the ball" on the situation in FL.

I'm hoping this upcoming week will be winter's last gasp. I notice that the forecast has already gone downhill a bit - this morning NWS has issued a freeze warning for Pasco and inland Hillsborough, and they hadn't mentioned that yesterday morning.

Sick of winter! So Ray - where are these bargains on Pine Island??

St. Pete

I got up this morning to rumblings lows could drop to 34F in Cape Coral on Wednesday. Tomorrow I'm going to Goodwill to buy up bedsheets to cover palms. They did a good job protecting palms from frost last week. Tips are singed here & there but otherwise most look great. Of course, the potted sensitives get cooped up inside. They hate that - like caging wild animals. Newspaper says these training cold fronts are indicative of a "normal" winter. Bring back the abnormal.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

I got up this morning to rumblings lows could drop to 34F in Cape Coral on Wednesday. Tomorrow I'm going to Goodwill to buy up bedsheets to cover palms. They did a good job protecting palms from frost last week. Tips are singed here & there but otherwise most look great. Of course, the potted sensitives get cooped up inside. They hate that - like caging wild animals. Newspaper says these training cold fronts are indicative of a "normal" winter. Bring back the abnormal.

Meg,

At least they are waiting until next Tuesday night for you?

My forecast here in Titusville for tonight is 34F with FROST according to the NWS!

As far as this being a normal winter,I have an observation. What I don't remember for a really long time, is the duraration of these events,even if no record cold is being set.

It seems that these events are of a longer duration than we have previously experienced here in Florida. Three days durning the last cold spell. Two days durning this event. I hit 38.1F last night ,and I'm predicted colder tonight. Next week starting Tuesday according to the forecast/guesses I have three nights in the low to mid 30's?

I have to beleive this will be a record median cold temp winter for most of central Florida this year. If not record cold median temp, it will be a lower mean cold temp over this winter than we have experienced for some years!

Seems in previous winters ,at least here in central Florida it would be one night of freezing cold temps,then would rebound quickly. I know there were years where this wasn't the case,but normal in my mind means 1 night of cold,and then a fairly solid rebound of temps the next night. Excepting that date pre 1990 ,that we all would rather forget about!

All I can say at this point is this is getting real OLD!

Good luck everyone!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Meg,

At least they are waiting until next Tuesday night for you?

My forecast here in Titusville for tonight is 34F with FROST according to the NWS!

As far as this being a normal winter,I have an observation. What I don't remember for a really long time, is the duraration of these events,even if no record cold is being set.

It seems that these events are of a longer duration than we have previously experienced here in Florida. Three days durning the last cold spell. Two days durning this event. I hit 38.1F last night ,and I'm predicted colder tonight. Next week starting Tuesday according to the forecast/guesses I have three nights in the low to mid 30's?

I have to beleive this will be a record median cold temp winter for most of central Florida this year. If not record cold median temp, it will be a lower mean cold temp over this winter than we have experienced for some years!

Seems in previous winters ,at least here in central Florida it would be one night of freezing cold temps,then would rebound quickly. I know there were years where this wasn't the case,but normal in my mind means 1 night of cold,and then a fairly solid rebound of temps the next night. Excepting that date pre 1990 ,that we all would rather forget about!

All I can say at this point is this is getting real OLD!

Good luck everyone!

Meg is saying that the newspapers report that this is normal. I guess if you've lived in C. Fla for 10 years or less, this would not be normal.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Epi,

I have lived in central Florida for almost 50 years! :winkie:

That is why I highlighted the newspaper quote in bold!

Maybe I just never noticed before I started planting zone 10 palms,but it sure seems different this year?

Like I said, I will be very surprised if our median low temp for the winter is not close to a record, or definately below average, at least since that date I refuse to mention 20 years ago. I am speaking about Brevard county,east central Florida.

November was probably,by itself 8 to 10 degrees below our average mean low temp!

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

I will be very surprised if our median low temp for the winter is not close to a record, or definately below average, at least since that date I refuse to mention 20 years ago. I am speaking about Brevard county,east central Florida.

November was probably,by itself 8 to 10 degrees below our average mean low temp!

It probably was. Over here, one week in November they said we were running 8 - 16 degrees below normal. Quite a cool November. And though, so far, no freeze, it's definitely been a cooler than normal winter overall.

St. Pete

Newspaper says these training cold fronts are indicative of a "normal" winter. Bring back the abnormal.

I had one other thought,

I agree these training fronts are indicative of a normal winter, in Kanas, Iowa,and the midwest, and such! :lol: I naturally don't mean the extreme cold temps from there,but that fronts continually march through. But it seems more have picked an eastern southern route this year, than I can recall in recent memory!Cold fronts usually loose most of there punch by the time they reach us. Maybe the the reporter who wrote that newspaper story is a recent transplant from Minnesota,so he thought this was NORMAL! :floor:

Sunny,

Your area, in and around Tampa,St. Pete, and some areas of south Florida(alot coastal) are about the only ones in Florida that can still claim it hasn't frozen yet this year! :winkie::)

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Epi,

I have lived in central Florida for almost 50 years! :winkie:

That is why I highlighted the newspaper quote in bold!

Maybe I just never noticed before I started planting zone 10 palms,but it sure seems different this year?

Like I said, I will be very surprised if our median low temp for the winter is not close to a record, or definately below average, at least since that date I refuse to mention 20 years ago. I am speaking about Brevard county,east central Florida.

I agree that this winter has been NUTS! These fronts one after the other like this is surely not something I recall happening since Ive been here (only ~15 years). The thing is, unless we really get blasted next week, the absolute lows Ive logged wont be that bad. But, the number of cold nights has been astounding.

Larry 

Its too late for me to say this winter hasn't been so bad, because I've already hit 30 and had frost on at least four nights. Now Weather underground is calling for 25 wednesday night with probable freezes the night before and the night after as well.

I dug up seven more palms today (which will be stored inside a spare bedroom until spring), including the carpies you gave me Larry. Those actually looked the best among the ones I pulled out, but it only took about as much time to dig each palm up as it normally takes to protect it for ONE NIGHT- and so far I've had to protect on four nights with three more forcast within the next 5 days, so it was a no-brainer. It would really have helped if I had more canopy.

Edited by surgeon83

Zone 10B, starting 07/01/2013

Its too late for me to say this winter hasn't been so bad, because I've already hit 30 and had frost on at least four nights. Now Weather underground is calling for 25 wednesday night with probable freezes the night before and the night after as well.

I dug up seven more palms today (which will be stored inside a spare bedroom until spring), including the carpies you gave me Larry. Those actually looked the best among the ones I pulled out, but it only took about as much time to dig each palm up as it normally takes to protect it for ONE NIGHT- and so far I've had to protect on four nights with three more forcast within the next 5 days, so it was a no-brainer. It would really have helped if I had more canopy.

And I am sitting here west and way far north of you looking at a low of only 36. This has been a pattern for the last few cold fronts. Unbelievable.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

this winter is crazy and extremes of temperates. it seems it just keeps on going like a circle without ends

I think this chilly/cold weather is taken a toll on allot of people with its effect and damaging effects on plants

just hope this is the last of what mother nature has to throw at us is there a link to this events thats happening.

There was a volcano that erupted in the summer 08 in Alaska that threw dust and sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere

there where Forest fires in Canada wondering if thats causing this chilly/cold weather to happen to be pushed down to

Florida any ideas? There has to be a Answer just wish we can fix cold weather. :mrlooney:

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

this winter is crazy and extremes of temperates. it seems it just keeps on going like a circle without ends

I think this chilly/cold weather is taken a toll on allot of people with its effect and damaging effects on plants

just hope this is the last of what mother nature has to throw at us is there a link to this events thats happening.

There was a volcano that erupted in the summer 08 in Alaska that threw dust and sulfur dioxide into the atmosphere

there where Forest fires in Canada wondering if thats causing this chilly/cold weather to happen to be pushed down to

Florida any ideas? There has to be a Answer just wish we can fix cold weather. :mrlooney:

My guess is that it is not the volcanoes or forest fires that are doing it (despite what the National Enquirer says). It is simply the PNA+ and the MJO that is shoveling all the cold your way. You will probably end up with another 10+ years of warm winters after this weird one.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I believe it is a perfectly natural cycle - recall that the 80's were actually much worse, especially '83, '85 & the infamous winter of '89 & the rolling blackouts. (Imagine telling a Northerner, yeah - our electric company ran out of power because the temps hit the mid-20's. ) There was a time in the mid-60s that was at least that bad.

I do think that in the years since the '89, the amount of construction and build-out experienced by Pinellas has created an urban heat effect that, in some small way, counteracts the pattern of Arctic chills. It's possible that this year could have been worse, had we not experienced the building boom and increased air traffic at the St. Pete/Clw Airport. We'll see what the coming years bring.

As for "fixing" the cold weather - In a way, that's what happens when you enhance your microclimate by planting tree canopy, having a heated pool, or even having stone or concrete walls, like a courtyard. (The stone stores up heat during the day and releases it at night.)

Epicure wrote:

I got this today. Doesn't mention freeze but I thought I should post it nonetheless. This is from WeatherAmerica.

Larry Cosgrove's letter? Wow, I'd forgotten about that - I used to get it when I was on a different IP which I dumped as it was so messed up, but I don't get his letter on this provider. His tropical analyses were very good.

And heads-up again - looks as if Wednesday night's low has dropped once more, from 41 to 38. grr.

St. Pete

I'm sick of the cold:

.LONG TERM (WEDNESDAY NIGHT-SUNDAY)...HIGH PRESSURE ESTABLISHES

OVER THE STATE WHILE COLD AIR ADVECTION CONTINUES THROUGH THE

BEGINNING OF THE LONG TERM AS AN ARCTIC BLAST KEEPS COLD

CONDITIONS THROUGH THE END OF THE WORK WEEK. BY THURSDAY MORNING

WINDS WILL CALM DOWN AND SKIES WILL BECOME CLEAR...SETTING UP THE

STAGE FOR STRONG SFC RADIATIONAL COOLING TO TAKE PLACE.

TEMPERATURES WILL DROP SIGNIFICANTLY AND REGISTER SOME OF THE

LOWEST VALUES OF THE SEASON. MOST OF THE NATURE COAST WILL

EXPERIENCE HARD FREEZE CONDITIONS...EXCEPT FOR LOCATIONS NEAR THE

COASTLINE. LATEST MOS GUIDANCE FOR BROOKSVILLE BRINGS MORNING LOWS

INTO THE UPPER TEENS...AND LOWER TO MID 20S ELSEWHERE FROM LEVY

SOUTHWARD DOWN TO NORTHERN PASCO COUNTY. FOR MUCH OF HILLSBOROUGH

AND EXTENDING ALL THE WAY DOWN TO HIGHLANDS COUNTY EXPECT LOWS IN

THE MID TO UPPER 20S...EXCEPT WESTERN AREAS OF THE COASTAL

COUNTIES WHERE TEMPS SHOULD REMAIN ABOVE FREEZING. HIGHS ON

THURSDAY WILL REMAIN COOL WITH AFTERNOON HIGHS HOVERING THE MID TO

UPPER 50S...WITH LOWER 60S DOWN IN CHARLOTTE AND LEE COUNTIES.

Jon

Brooksville, FL 9a

If this is a NORMAL Florida winter,I'm with Meg bring back ABNORMAL.

Another front of these proportions ,less than 10 days after the last one, with a somewhat milder one (mid 30's here) inbetween those?

If this comes to pass,palms that squeaked by with damage but survived, will surely not like being scorched yet again! :rage:

FREEZE OUTLOOK

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL

535 AM EST MON FEB 2 2009

FLZ063-066-067-070-071-073-030500-

GLADES-HENDRY-INLAND PALM BEACH-INLAND COLLIER-INLAND BROWARD-

INLAND MIAMI DADE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PALMDALE...MOORE HAVEN...CLEWISTON...

LA BELLE...BIG CYPRESS SEMINOLE RESERVATION...PAHOKEE...

SOUTH BAY...BELLE GLADE...WELLINGTON...LION COUNTRY SAFARI...

SOUTH COUNTY REGIONAL PARK...IMMOKALEE...

MICCOSUKEE INDIAN RESERVATION...MARKHAM PARK...HOMESTEAD...

FLORIDA CITY...REDLAND...MICCOSUKEE RESORT...KENDALE LAKES...

WEST KENDALL...COUNTRY WALK...SHARK VALLEY

535 AM EST MON FEB 2 2009

...FREEZING TEMPERATURES POSSIBLE MID TO LATE WEEK...

A STRONG COLD FRONT WILL MOVE ACROSS SOUTH FLORIDA TONIGHT.

THIS FRONT WILL USHER COOLER AND DRIER AIR INTO THE

AREA...POSSIBLY ALLOWING TEMPERATURES TO FALL TO AROUND FREEZING

BY WEDNESDAY MORNING ACROSS GLADES...HENDRY...AND INTERIOR PALM

BEACH COUNTIES.

ANOTHER EVEN STRONGER COLD FRONT WILL SWEEP ACROSS SOUTH FLORIDA

WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON. THE AIRMASS BEHIND THIS SECOND FRONT WILL BE OF

ARCTIC ORIGIN. THEREFORE...A FREEZE IS LOOKING MORE LIKELY

THURSDAY MORNING ACROSS A LARGER PORTION OF INTERIOR SOUTH FLORIDA

WITH EVEN A HARD FREEZE POSSIBLE ACROSS GLADES AND HENDRY

COUNTIES. THE COLD AIRMASS COULD LINGER THROUGH FRIDAY

MORNING...ALLOWING FOR THE POSSIBILITY OF YET ANOTHER NIGHT OF

NEAR FREEZING TEMPERATURES...MAINLY ACROSS GLADES AND HENDRY

COUNTIES.

ALL INTERESTS ACROSS THE AREA ARE URGED TO MONITOR THE LATEST

FORECASTS FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN MIAMI.

Edited by gsn

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

I sure hope this week isn't as cold as forecasted for y'all down there. I know you are sick of it - I am too. I can't remember the last time when we had dry northerly/offshore flow so consistently here in Houston. My skin can't take much more.

Sunspot activity has been among the lowest in many years. I wonder if this has anything to do with it? It seems like everywhere is expereincing a colder winter.

Pinellas Park, Florida

Just checked my temps and it looks like they adjusted my area down about 3deg lower on Thurs AM. They (NOAA) are now forecasting a hard freeze north of the lake.

Ron

Wellington, Florida

Zone 11 in my mind

Zone 10a 9a in reality

13miles West of the Atlantic in Palm Beach County

Derekjb: Sunspot activity has been among the lowest in many years. I wonder if this has anything to do with it? It seems like everywhere is experiencing a colder winter.

Hi Derekjp,

Not too sure if thats the cause Plus its not confirm if sunspots does effect climate I like to know myself

I know by reading Solar cycle 24 that the TSA went down a fraction due to inactivity of the sun this

can be a really touchie subject to get into and what solar scientist say the sun should be getting more active in few months

plus we are in a new beginning of a la Nina event which can cool the globe down most are skeptical on another la Nina event most meteorologist

are saying that an el Nino maybe in developed in 2009-2010 there's a story in (wunderground and accuweather) under the global warming blog.

then again it can be completely different that we are all over looking but for one thing I am completely over it :blink:

epicure3: My guess is that it is not the volcanoes or forest fires that are doing it (despite what the National Enquirer says). It is simply the PNA+ and the MJO that is shoveling all the cold your way. You will probably end up with another 10+ years of warm winters after this weird one.

I sure do i hope so :mrlooney:

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

Just checked my temps and it looks like they adjusted my area down about 3deg lower on Thurs AM.

Same here......the forecasts are now ranging from 30 to 34F. So, it looks like a freeze is quite possible in my area.

Larry