IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

California Highs

John Case

This question is for the real meteorologists on the board (and of course those who want to take on the other obvious meaning of the title)......

Why do these large high pressure systems sit over the state for such extended periods?

What is the mechanism for their creation/destruction?

Are they occurring more or less frequently?

Anytthing else that is informative or helpful in understanding?

and yes, I understand the hot air that is emitted from Sacramento, gentlemen, no need to enhanve that part of my understanding.....

Thanks!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

My understanding is that it has something to do with an a rex or omega block, either downstream or up. At any rate, the high can't be dislodged when you have this setup. Happ can probably explain this better than I can.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

My understanding is that it has something to do with an a rex or omega block, either downstream or up. At any rate, the high can't be dislodged when you have this setup. Happ can probably explain this better than I can.

This discussion has already gotten beyond me. I do not know what a rex or omega block is.......

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

As a "back yard" weather watcher, and from past experience, here is my 2 cents. About every other year a big high moves over the West and we get unusually warm weather, but these usually occur in Feb. or March. It's very unusual for us to get this so early in Jan. This is good and bad, as we get no rain, but warmer temps. during the most critical time of the year as far as cold is concerned.

I've just watched my temp. climb from 40F to 47.7 before daylight as a Diablo wind kicks in. The temp. is still climbing. I'm expecting the 70's today although the forcast was for the 60's.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I am not a meteorologist but contribute weather data to the NWS & have been recording observations since 1980. Probably palm growers\ gardeners are "mini-meteorologists" more than the average person due to our obvious connection to mother nature.

Last summer it appeared that LA NINA-lite conditions would remain due to neutral conditions in the tropical Pacific. La Nina conditions generally mean dry winters with occasional north Pacific storms that are cold & brief. There have been no zonal storms that tap the subtropical jet stream this winter. Weather systems are pushed north or south of California due to semi-permanent blocking that seem to develop during LA Nina influence. The actual science involves multiple factors [Madden-Julian & Pacific Decadal oscillations, etc] that historically characterize a climate of dry winters w/ long periods of off-shore wind.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

[Madden-Julian & Pacific Decadal oscillations, etc] that historically characterize a climate of dry winters w/ long periods of off-shore wind.

Wow, John Madden is a busy guy. Must have a weather station out of his motor home on his way to NFL games. :lol:

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

[Madden-Julian & Pacific Decadal oscillations, etc] that historically characterize a climate of dry winters w/ long periods of off-shore wind.

Wow, John Madden is a busy guy. Must have a weather station out of his motor home on his way to NFL games. :lol:

:P Don't you wish the Super Bowl was in San Diego instead of Tampa? All that revenue\ $ :mrlooney:

Actually the Madden-Julian wave brings California tropical rainfall.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Two thoughts about these Santa Ana "highs":

I'm watering, every 2-3 days. Last night I was in the jacuzzi and there was zero water vapor, not even right at the water surface. My lawn is a decent guage, and it's looking quite sad. It's hitting 80F again almost every day.

Does anyone else struggle with allergy issues during these patterns? I only take Zyrtec when I really need to, and this month I'm going through the stuff.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Two thoughts about these Santa Ana "highs":

I'm watering, every 2-3 days. Last night I was in the jacuzzi and there was zero water vapor, not even right at the water surface. My lawn is a decent guage, and it's looking quite sad. It's hitting 80F again almost every day.

Does anyone else struggle with allergy issues during these patterns? I only take Zyrtec when I really need to, and this month I'm going through the stuff.

I'm right there with you Terry. My allergies have been kicking my butt lately. I take Claritin and it helps a bit, but when I get real bad I take Benadryl at night before I go to bed. It helps me sleep and really seams to help the next day. Almost like it has some healing quality to it. I won't take it during the day or I won't get off the couch.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Yea, this weather is getting a little old. Bone dry 70's-80's is killing both my sinuses and my tropical palms. I would be ok with a few cool, moist days....so would my veitchias and hyophorbes.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Big ocean. Mountains. Air flow.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Yeah, I know, take the good with the bad. That quote above would be just fine......in the Hawaiian Islands. :D

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Yeah, I know, take the good with the bad. That quote above would be just fine......in the Hawaiian Islands. :D

You are right. I left out big cold continent on the other side of the mountains. lol.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages