IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sea Grape/Cocoloba uvifera

bubba

Tiki had a good question about Sea Grapes on South Ocean that look bad at this time of year.I looked closely driving in and the Sea Grapes that look bad are the very large one's right on the Ocean. Smaller trees or even larger trees nearby are unscathed.The only culprit I can come up with is the dry wind that accompanies cold fronts.This would explain why the Sea Grapes most exposed to the Ocean are effected but one's close-by but not in the wind are green. I would say this is nearly an annual event.No freeze is necessary,just dry winds.I have estimated the low temperature here in the low 40'sF.Here are Post Freeze green Sea Grapes near the Breaker's:

Picture417.jpg

Picture418.jpg

What you look for is what is looking

Bubba-

I noticed the same thing down on PB, and that was before the cold front. It looks to me like the ones right at the beach were just salt burned?

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Larry, That is another possibility. It happens nearly every year at this time when it gets dryer.

My large sea grape trunk does the same thing, the bark peels off of it. I suspect it's because of their high rate of growth. Annually without fail, my sea grape starts dumping leaves like mad until March or April. I noticed last night that the leaves are starting to take on that orange cast. The leaf war is about to begin. :rage:

Bren in South St. Pete Florida

Could it just be a seasonal reaction triggered by shorter days. A rest period.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks for the info I was a bit confused when I saw them so burned up and the cocos looked fine. They just did not have the leaves dropping they looked burned. I think the dry air as you mentioned is the culprit.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

My large sea grape trunk does the same thing, the bark peels off of it. I suspect it's because of their high rate of growth. Annually without fail, my sea grape starts dumping leaves like mad until March or April. I noticed last night that the leaves are starting to take on that orange cast. The leaf war is about to begin. :rage:

Sounds like a Live Oak, lol.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Those Louisiana Live Oaks are mind blowers.Oak Alley comes to mind and that is just for the Tourist!I am sure you could show us a few.

I know that my seagrapes are very sensitive to drying winds. Just turns the affected leaves white. Saying that, I have absolutley no growth of these from January through April. Then they wake up. The hot, dry Santa Anas do a real number on some of the older leaves.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Epic, These things get gigantic and take-up large areas if left to their own devices. They are attractive when they are taken care of and not allowed to free-range.I am glad you found this thing and my picture was not wobbly.

Epic, These things get gigantic and take-up large areas if left to their own devices. They are attractive when they are taken care of and not allowed to free-range.I am glad you found this thing and my picture was not wobbly.

I planted a couple of 3 gallon sea grapes about 3 years ago and they are now large shrubs. I planted them near the house never expecting to get as large as they have. There are a couple of branches that are 12' high resting against the house. Thankfully, the rest of the plants have not gotten that high. They fruit pretty well in the summer and actually taste pretty good. Not too fleshy, but sweet all the same. Here's a pic of one.

post-71-1233421384_thumb.jpg

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

That is a perfect size. In California, I am sure it will remain manageable like Melaluecas,Brazilian Peppers and others that become unruly in Florida as they take over the place. Great picture and specimen.

That is a perfect size. In California, I am sure it will remain manageable like Melaluecas,Brazilian Peppers and others that become unruly in Florida as they take over the place. Great picture and specimen.

Probably. Bu, I still need to cut it back every summer because mine is also a rambler and needs to be kept in check.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I had a good number of seagrapes in my yard and I yanked them all before they got unruly! These can be truly impressive trees given enough room, but my yard just doesnt have the space for it (and the leaf litter is a bit messy).

Ive seen them used as hedges and kept trimmed, but IMO they never look as good as when they are allowed to grow as nature intended.

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

I had a good number of seagrapes in my yard and I yanked them all before they got unruly! These can be truly impressive trees given enough room, but my yard just doesnt have the space for it (and the leaf litter is a bit messy).

Ive seen them used as hedges and kept trimmed, but IMO they never look as good as when they are allowed to grow as nature intended.

Very true. The only Florida plant that grows to tree like proportions that I like better than a sea grape tree is a Clusia Rosea or the Autograph tree. They do not do well here at all. I am stuck growing other Clusias....which are nice.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I had to drive up the hill into town (Lake Placid, Florida) today to retrieve mail from my P.O. box. The two photos below are of a sea grape growing near a vacant lot. I took both photos using zoom from the shoulder of the road. I can see no apparent winter time damage.

2485670460042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Same sea grape using more zoom:

2516656750042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

The below sea grape belongs to a friend of mine that lives on the north shore of Lake Pearl. As such, he enjoys a far warmer nighttime temperature (in winter) than I do only 3 miles away. I have two sea grapes that are totally fried, compared to his with no damage. I've grown many sea grapes from seed I collected from my friend's tree.

2664986020042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

• 2 years later...

Not sure what you've heard about Maleleucas and Brazilian Pepper trees not becoming unruly in CA. They can become huge trees and Brazilian Pepper trees pop up everywhere and are very difficult to eradicate here in s. California! Their root system is like a Ficus.

• Like 1

Not sure what you've heard about Maleleucas and Brazilian Pepper trees not becoming unruly in CA. They can become huge trees and Brazilian Pepper trees pop up everywhere and are very difficult to eradicate here in s. California! Their root system is like a Ficus.

Well, I term the the comparisons of invasive species as "Pestilence Braggadocio" :lol:

I mean no offense nor do I offer any diminishment to your post, but it follows a set path where we all have a tendency to embellish our own misery... and by way of observation, we in Florida seem to do that a lot...and not without reason or president.....we seem to lead the nation in exotic invasives.

AKA, my MOSQUITOES are worse than yours......

Seems we compare everything..success, and failure, both equally.....

Rusty

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Well, I term the the comparisons of invasive species as "Pestilence Braggadocio" :lol:

I mean no offense nor do I offer any diminishment to your post, but it follows a set path where we all have a tendency to embellish our own misery... and by way of observation, we in Florida seem to do that a lot...and not without reason or president.....we seem to lead the nation in exotic invasives.

AKA, my MOSQUITOES are worse than yours......

Seems we compare everything..success, and failure, both equally.....

Rusty

Rusty:

That's very funny! :lol:

So glad we don't have the Florida mosquito problem (in San Diego). Where I'm from in Hawai'i the mosquitoes are horrible, also. There's plenty here, however, I don't have to walk through huge clouds of them.