IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sunsets

sur4z

Here are 5-more taken from our home in South Kona, Hawaii. Enjoy!

That first shot is on fire Al. Incredible! Clouds are like signatures when you compare them worldwide, don' t you think so?

Another "Turner-esque" shot from the south coast of Spain. Across the sea on the horizon, and you land in Morocco. I took this on 7th Feb.

post-1155-12665604443273_thumb.jpg

Great shots all...keep them coming!

ss45.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

Cause lies don't need an aero plane / To chase you anywhere

--Avett Bros

Great topic - here was New Years eve from my place.

Aloha!

post-978-12669685254913_thumb.png

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

WOW Bill!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 3 weeks later...

SWEET!

wow.jpg

The weight of lies will bring you down / And follow you to every town / Cause nothin happens here

That doesn't happen there / So when you run make sure you run / To something and not away from

--Avett Bros

Bali10-1831.jpg

heres one from ubud,bali.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Bali10-2043.jpg

heres another from bali,this is at jimbaran beach.

still "warning-free."

These are a few old pictures I took in the interior of Amazonas in 2005. They were taken in the municpality of Maues some 350 kms east of Manaus. This area is really away from it all. But, people go on with their lives like everywhere.

A caboclo, the name given to the native residents of Amazonas that live in the interior of the state. This fellow stopped to talk a while as he was heading out to hunt for the night. The sunset was beautiful.

SusnetIgarapeGrandeMaues20053.jpg

SunsetIgarapeGrandemaues20052.jpg

SunsetIgarapeGrandeMaues20054.jpg

This picture was taken up the river further the evening before. This area is right in the middle of the rainforest and a very beautiful place. It is really the middle of nowhere Amazonia.

sunsetpalhao2005.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Don- Great shots!!

Here is another from my side of the world...aaah palm trees and sunsets.

wow1.jpg

--Avett Bros

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes in 1994 ... we have made this totally weird photo between sunset and an approaching thunderstorm, amongst Dresden.

Look:

Sonnenuntergang1.jpg

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

I've found that it's the sunrises that tend to go unnoticed. Being in relatively flat terrain (at least the hills are only small and undulating) my property is well placed for both sunrises and sunsets.

Sunset

post-4226-12713037286189_thumb.jpg

Sunrise

post-4226-12713037692674_thumb.jpg

Sunset

post-4226-1271303827118_thumb.jpg

Sunrise

post-4226-12713038899412_thumb.jpg

Sunset

post-4226-12713039377894_thumb.jpg

Sunrise

post-4226-12713039894916_thumb.jpg

Wet season sunset

post-4226-1271304026141_thumb.jpg

sunset pix from sanur bali.

Bali10-2448.jpg

Bali10-2452.jpg

Bali10-2458.jpg

Bali10-2464.jpg

still "warning-free."

Sunset the day after Cyclone Tomas finished its 48 hours of destruction.

post-710-12713661324372_thumb.jpg

Located on Vanua Levu near Savusavu (16degrees South) Elevation from sealevel to 30meters with average annual rainfall of 2800mm (110in) with temperature from 18 to 34C (65 to 92F).

Not as spectacular as some posted in this thread, but interesting none the less.

clouds.jpg

--Avett Bros

Sunset Maldives 2010 - before thunderstorm :drool: :drool:

IMG_0409.jpg

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

thats cool,moni! when/where can we see the rest of the pix? :drool:

still "warning-free."

:lol: :lol: I will do my best :lol: :lol:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=19557&st=0&gopid=385380&#entry385380

Edited by 8er-moni

Greetings from a litte village near Salzburg/Austria

Moni

11152.gif

USDA 5b (up to -26° C)

It is very hard for me to see, how many plants are growing around the the world, which I don't have in my collection!!!!

• 1 month later...

what more can you ask for...a sunset, a palm, and the moon.

moon.jpg

--Avett Bros

Wow, what BEAUTIFUL pictures! :) Here on the Hilo side of the Big Island we do not have the pleasure of viewing a sunset. Mauna Loa blocks same. :(

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

• 1 month later...

They just keep happening

ss2.jpg

--Avett Bros

Pedro, Your gonna burn the eyes out of your head you crazy loon!

What you look for is what is looking

I live on a hill so I barely see sunsets. Not mine but a lovely summer sunset from one of the many inlets here. We are at the most southern point of puget sound. Only thing missing is a whale.

ade2804e.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

great shot,mr.crazy.

Thanks, this one is a sunrise, different inlet here facing east. Lots of Great Photo, enjoy them all!

846cda7e.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Senor Loco- great shots coming and going...were those the only two days that it wasn't raining?

--Avett Bros

Senor Loco- great shots coming and going...were those the only two days that it wasn't raining?

Actually it raining right now, just kidding! We don't get much rain in the summer, mid June was the last time it rain in my garden. But the rainy season starts about the third week in Oct that's when we see little sun for about 6 months. It does rain in the summer out by the coast in summer more often, here's a summer pic of the rain forest here. Most people live in the rain shadows areas. Seattle gets like only 35" of rain and were I am its around 55". And, the eastern side of Washington is mostly deserts, thats where we get our local watermelons in summer.

These are large native maple trees. Around 200" of rain + yearly. In some of the more evergreen forest areas the moss can be 100 years old and over 30' long, some branches higher up can have 30 different plant on one limb. You will see more shade of green is this state than another other in the lower 48. Some of the native ferns here need so much water that they only grow in winter. Out of the seven major climates around the world, WA has 4 of them. But yeah the winter can be very grey and depressing sometimes.

efb87784.jpg

Edited by Palm crazy

Looking across the street from my back yard. There used to be two tall old remnant mauritias, now there is one. The other is a tall skeleton pole of the palm that once was there. The sun at my latitude goes down real fast so you have to act quick to get a picture. The heat is in the air.

dk

post-188-1281046118001_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Ms Putu- Great shots...keep 'em coming. Did I see Pohonkelapa in some of your other shots?

--Avett Bros

• 1 month later...

last night taken by a friend

ss20.jpg

--Avett Bros

• 3 weeks later...

Our South Kona sunset (what we see from the house) the other night (actual date: 29 Sep.'10). Three different shots of same sunset . . .

post-90-002804600 1286175499_thumb.jpg

post-90-055400200 1286175525_thumb.jpg

post-90-058452000 1286175565_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

• 4 weeks later...

Here's one taken on my phone from Kennebunkport ME...the color was much more orange than seen here but the light was a little too low for the phone camera.

ken2.jpg

--Avett Bros

• 3 weeks later...

Ho Hum

ss47.jpg

--Avett Bros