IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Acai Berry Scam?

PalmGuyWC

I keep getting these adds on the web for "free" Acai Berry for a trial, in the pill form. After filling out the order with my name, address, etc. you scroll further down and they want your credit card info. I'm wondering if this is a scam just to get my credit card info. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering where I can find this stuff locally, and if it has all the magical property promised?

Dick

Richard Douglas

I keep getting these adds on the web for "free" Acai Berry for a trial, in the pill form. After filling out the order with my name, address, etc. you scroll further down and they want your credit card info. I'm wondering if this is a scam just to get my credit card info. Anyone have any experience with this? I'm wondering where I can find this stuff locally, and if it has all the magical property promised?

Dick

The best form is Amazon Thunder, go on e-bay, and you can purchase it for two dollars less a bottle, than what a distributor pays for it, I was a distributor, but now it's apparent why I'm not, the puree is the best, but about 32.00 a liter, Ed

P.S. nothing is higher in anti-oxidants!

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

It is a scam. Run away, far far away. A 'free sample' of this stuff 'Extreme Acai Berry' showed up in my mail although I had not ordered it. I don't know how these people got my cc info. It came with a note that the free trial bottle would be followed with monthly shippments of more of these pills unless I cancelled. There was no answer at the phone # given and the next month there was a charge on my card for $80.00. I did a google search and discovered this was a scam. I called my cc customer service and they had to close my account and give me a new #. They confirmed that it was an unauthorized charge and credited my account but it was still a pain in the arse.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

Thanks guys,

I figgured it was a ripoff, but now they have my name and address, but not my CC number.

A while back someone sent in some pictures of how this stuff is prepared, and it looked like very primitive conditions. I'm wondering if this stuff is pasteurized or if that would kill some of the benificial effects.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Thanks guys,

I figgured it was a ripoff, but now they have my name and address, but not my CC number.

A while back someone sent in some pictures of how this stuff is prepared, and it looked like very primitive conditions. I'm wondering if this stuff is pasteurized or if that would kill some of the benificial effects.

Dick

Maybe we could produce the magical 'Butia Miracle Juice'! Mix a little with apple juice (the acai juice is a minor component as it is blended with other fruit juices and lots of sugar) and we might have a winner!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

The best form is Amazon Thunder, go on e-bay, and you can purchase it for two dollars less a bottle, than what a distributor pays for it, I was a distributor, but now it's apparent why I'm not, the puree is the best, but about 32.00 a liter, Ed

Ed-

I think I read that dried tart cherries are actually higher in antioxidants?

Cherry-graphic.jpg

Never sure who to believe on this stuff though :mrlooney:

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

It is a scam. Run away, far far away. A 'free sample' of this stuff 'Extreme Acai Berry' showed up in my mail although I had not ordered it. I don't know how these people got my cc info. It came with a note that the free trial bottle would be followed with monthly shippments of more of these pills unless I cancelled. There was no answer at the phone # given and the next month there was a charge on my card for $80.00. I did a google search and discovered this was a scam. I called my cc customer service and they had to close my account and give me a new #. They confirmed that it was an unauthorized charge and credited my account but it was still a pain in the arse.

See...stuff like this is what can ruin something that might actually be good.

Now...I have no idea on how true the health benefits are for acai, but even if it really was a miracle fruit, there is so much junk surrounding how these types of things are distributed, that it overshadows the actual product and makes the average Joe very skeptical.

Larry 

John,

I've often wondered what nutritional value is in Butia fruit. They are rather sour, so they must be loaded with vitiman C, and who knows, what else. The problem would be how to extract some juice. They are boiled down to make Butia jelly, but that would probabably kill a lot of the nutrition. I suppose they could be soaked and ferminted, but who know what kind of brew that would make, probably diarrhea express.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Thanks guys,

Dick

Maybe we could produce the magical 'Butia Miracle Juice'! Mix a little with apple juice (the acai juice is a minor component as it is blended with other fruit juices and lots of sugar) and we might have a winner!

No, other brands like Mon Avi are blended, Amazon thunder, is 100% puree of Acai fruit, but I can't tell you if it's clean, but heating it would screw it up, to say the least, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Larry,

I'll put dried tart cherries on my shopping list. Sounds good in cereal. Actually, any kind of fresh fruit is good for us, and not many of us eat enough. I had mango and banana mixed for breakfast yesterday, and very tastey.

Dick

Richard Douglas

John,

I've often wondered what nutritional value is in Butia fruit. They are rather sour, so they must be loaded with vitiman C, and who knows, what else. The problem would be how to extract some juice. They are boiled down to make Butia jelly, but that would probabably kill a lot of the nutrition. I suppose they could be soaked and ferminted, but who know what kind of brew that would make, probably diarrhea express.

Dick

Dick,

There is a very mature Butia at Morgan's nursery (in Antioch) that I harvested a bit of fruit from this summer. The fruit was not in any way bitter and tasted of apples.I enjoyed it quite a bit and it inspired me to grow one in my yard......yes, I can wait. I have free access to theseeds, if I want them next year, or whenever another crop is ripe, they would rather have me pick them than have their help clean them up after they fall. According to the manager, the help there sits under the tree and has them for snacks while they are on break.

I would guess that maceration followed by extraction of the juice in a sterile environment would produce some juice, but it propabably would need pasteurization, just as the acai juice probably is as well.

In summary, I liked the taste of the ripe fruit, not real sweet, but sweet nonetheless...maybe it was the result of a cross-pollination.

John

John Case

Brentwood CA

I heard about this scam on some radio program the other day. People were getting signed into some sort of "monthly club" just because they wanted to try a sample. Lots of complaints filed with BBB.

Run indeed. If you want to try the stuff, buy it at a store, NOT online!

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

I eat about all the Pindo fruit off my tree every year, which is between 500 and 800, I sold over 600 seeds last year ( Pindo ), the easiest way to clean the seeds, is with your teeth, but here in FL, with proper care, they are not sour, but rather sweet, with a tart tast, Ed

post-3109-1232296368_thumb.jpg

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Edric,

That looks like particularly large fruit on your tree. I guess I didn't mean to say "sour" but tart. The fruit seems to differ in taste from tree to tree. Some are sweeter and more suculent than others. I can only eat so many at a time as they are rather tart. I have a friend who comes over, a non palm person, and he gulps them down. I've had the jelly before and it was rather nondescript to me.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Any concerns about loss of vitamins by cooking may be avoided by making freezer jam. The flavor of fresh Butia fruit suggests ascorbic acid [Vitamin C]. There are a lot of distinctive flavors [ e. g., peach, banana, and others] in various strains of Butia which all disappear when cooked but are maintained in freezer jam.

merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

I did some research awhile back and the Acai berry is very high in anti-oxidents! I guess it depends on who you get it from. My wife and i drink the juice and my wife is taking the diet pills! She has lost 6lbs in one month! I never buy anything online becuse i had the same experience as a fellow poster but w/ reaserching Government grants. The juice is fantastic tasting and yes, it is mixed for your drinking and nutritional pleasure. My suggestion is for you to find someone like my wife and i but local to you and sign up under them. We don't get billed unless we order a bottle, they have been on the up and up!

Aviod the internet scams! Sign up w/ someone you know and trust!

My sister-in-law is a vegitarian and a health freak and she is the one who turned us on to it, she has been drinking it for about a year now.

On another note, i have made jelly from the Butia seeds and it was good!! I also have made jelly from the Loquat tree, that was pretty good too!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Edric,

That looks like particularly large fruit on your tree. I guess I didn't mean to say "sour" but tart. The fruit seems to differ in taste from tree to tree. Some are sweeter and more suculent than others. I can only eat so many at a time as they are rather tart. I have a friend who comes over, a non palm person, and he gulps them down. I've had the jelly before and it was rather nondescript to me.

Dick

The way I acquired the tree is, in 1993 a girlfriend said to me, do you like Pindos, she then went on to tell me of this very, very old Pindo palm tree, down on the government property, ( the Cape ), they had already demolished all the houses that were built in the 1800's, but in front of where this one old house stood, there was this very old, very tall tree, all the fruit was ripe, we shook the tree, down came the fruit, and it was great, I went back a year later, at the same time of year, and my heart was broken, the tree was dear, and had been for some time, I looked around a little, and noticed a tiny seedling, at the Northeast base of the tree, I got something out of my truck, can't remember what, dug it up, and hurried home with it, the rest is history, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Mark and all,

Theres a large psychological compoent to overeating that herbals and pills cant address. I didnt believe the ads on Hooodia but saw the 60 minutes on it.

I bought a pound of the powder ( how would I know it was real I know) and bunch of the plants( whcih I could tell)

I grew them up -- plants are hard to grow but they and the powder stifle the appetite -- just not as much as the claims .

The problem is you arent hungry but you still want the food-- as part of the problem is compulsion.

Best regarards,

Ed

Ed-

Cherry-graphic.jpg

I think that "tart cherries" is a euphemism for acerola "cherry" (Malphigia glabra), which is extremely high in vitamin C.

Somehow I doubt that regular sour cherry (Prunus cerasus) is that high in anti-oxidant power.

I could be wrong...

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Ed-

Cherry-graphic.jpg

I think that "tart cherries" is a euphemism for acerola "cherry" (Malphigia glabra), which is extremely high in vitamin C.

Somehow I doubt that regular sour cherry (Prunus cerasus) is that high in anti-oxidant power.

I could be wrong...

The tart cherries referenced above are Montmorency.

Larry 

Mark and all,

Theres a large psychological compoent to overeating that herbals and pills cant address. I didnt believe the ads on Hooodia but saw the 60 minutes on it.

I bought a pound of the powder ( how would I know it was real I know) and bunch of the plants( whcih I could tell)

I grew them up -- plants are hard to grow but they and the powder stifle the appetite -- just not as much as the claims .

The problem is you arent hungry but you still want the food-- as part of the problem is compulsion.

Best regarards,

Ed

Hello Ed,

We drink the Mona. Vie juice for the anti-oxadents and the other benefits. My wife takes the Acai vitamin suppliment

to lose weight, and to keep her healthy. Her problem is sweets, expecially late at night, so any weight loss is a good thing!!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Hello everyone,

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or anger Mona Vie distributors, but last October my neighbor coaxed me into attending one of her Mona Vie parties where they served 2 oz. samples. I had an allergic reaction to the stuff, Brillo-in-the-throat sensation, swallowing problems, aggravation of my asthma. The reaction carried over into the next day when I flew to Germany.

I don't know which of the 19 "juices" did it to me and I have not had food allergies before though I do have severe respiratory allergies. I don't know if the reaction came from impurities in the "sludge" mixed in with the juices. But in any case I will never go near that stuff again. Just a cautionary tale for anyone who is prone to allergic reactions, esp. to food. Be very careful and have your meds close by.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

John,

Dick

I have found that most whole food stores that sell frozen Acai or concentrated juice (for a high price I might add) usually have added quite a bit of sugar or other juices of some kind. I bet fresh Acai, when properly made, is actually good, Don and Gileno have mentioned this before and they live in Acai country.

On the topic of palm wine, I had some made from Butia seed. If you are sanitary about it (i.e. not picking up seeds on the ground and using them) and know what you are doing, it is actually a good drink. These people had it perfected though, I could imagine a first time brewer would be quite disappointed.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

And if you are into the tart cherries you can buy tart cherry juice concentrate from cherry groves in the Midwest. You can buy it in up to 1/2 gallons and cheaper that health food stores. The stuff is thick as corn syrup and will not freeze. I mix a Tbsp or so in orange or pineapple juice and it's great. Or you can mix it with plain water or club soda. Stuff was recommended to me by my husband's hand therapist as a way to ease pain from polymyalgia rheumatica. Can't say it does that but I like it anyway.

Meg

Florida

This topic comes up about twice a year it seems. I personally know two people that live near me that make 'sick" amounts of money every month by selling this stuff. They collect a certain percentage from what others beneath them sell.

My wife who is an RN in the hospital, has told me that for the most part, the medical community does not believe in this stuff, nor support it's findings.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff, I didn't want to say it before, but I will now. Just two words: Ponzi Scheme

Meg

Florida

This whole claim of anti-oxidants as a way improve health (by reducing free radicals???) has always been a mystery to me. I understand the terms, but not in a biochemical context.

Does anyone know the way the claimed mechanism is supposed to work?

In this economy, I'll take anything that is free! :rolleyes:

John Case

Brentwood CA

Hello everyone,

I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or anger Mona Vie distributors, but last October my neighbor coaxed me into attending one of her Mona Vie parties where they served 2 oz. samples. I had an allergic reaction to the stuff, Brillo-in-the-throat sensation, swallowing problems, aggravation of my asthma. The reaction carried over into the next day when I flew to Germany.

I don't know which of the 19 "juices" did it to me and I have not had food allergies before though I do have severe respiratory allergies. I don't know if the reaction came from impurities in the "sludge" mixed in with the juices. But in any case I will never go near that stuff again. Just a cautionary tale for anyone who is prone to allergic reactions, esp. to food. Be very careful and have your meds close by.

I'll say it again, Mona Vie, has a bunch of other crap added to it, it tastes great, but not any where near pure Acai juice, try Amazon thunder, if you ever try another, in the puree form, I wish I could afford it, on e-bay for 30.00 a bottle, no one else probably likes the taste though, it's unusual tasting, but is 100% Acai fruit, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

If you want to get tons of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants then simply grow your own healthy food if you have the room. I'm growing satsuma, blood orange, chandler pumello, loquat, lemon, bananas, butia capitata, and pear. In the near future I'm planting figs, blueberry, blackberry, cherimoya (on it's way now in the mail), kiwi, and paw paw trees (Asimina) which produce one of the healthiest fruits on the planet. There is no substitute for fresh fruits and vegetables. No gimmick concauction can ever match what nature already provides us. And if you are putting the effort into growing all this stuff then surely you will harvest it and put to use.

Fordoche, LA

USDA zone 8b

National Arbor Day zone 9

AHS zone 9

Sunset zone 28

Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

Dick:

Watch out for scams, but the berries and the juice made from them are delicious, and if they're good for ya, well, yahoo, run around the block . . . . .

I think Robek juice sells a mixture of pineapple and acai, which is just great.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

If you want to get tons of vitamins, minerals and antioxidants then simply grow your own healthy food if you have the room. I'm growing satsuma, blood orange, chandler pumello, loquat, lemon, bananas, butia capitata, and pear. In the near future I'm planting figs, blueberry, blackberry, cherimoya (on it's way now in the mail), kiwi, and paw paw trees (Asimina) which produce one of the healthiest fruits on the planet. There is no substitute for fresh fruits and vegetables. No gimmick concauction can ever match what nature already provides us. And if you are putting the effort into growing all this stuff then surely you will harvest it and put to use.

Looks like you and I are on the same path. I love walking out and being able to eat straight from my trees almost any time of year.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

On the same idea as this topic.....

Does anyone here know anything about Isagenix? Its a nutritional program that a friend of mine told me about. Im not sure if its legit good quality stuff or not?

Larry 

Mark quote:

I did some research awhile back and the Acai berry is very high in anti-oxidents! I guess it depends on who you get it from.

Mark, yes Acai is a very high anti-oxident juice but as you said the quality or purity of it depends on who or where you get it from. If you got the climate for it why not grow your own? The Acai berry (palm fruit) comes from two very beautiful ornamental palms: : Euterpe oleracea and Euterpe precatoria.

As I see it, the only way the medical community would support or believe in Acai is if some pharmacitical company

came up with a drug of some kind that had similar properties as the Acai. Then it would be OK for them to make "sick" amounts of money off of it.

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

A guy I knew - I'll call him Jimmy Subprime - lost his job, got into the mortgage lending business, bought a nursery, and was peddling this crap through his website; I believe its main benefit is providing charlatans another avenue for their chicanery...

I get by with a little help from my fronds

It is interesting how this subject comes up from time to time. I posted a series of pictures of my local Açai guy making what is know here as açai wine. But, it is really just squeezed pulp with water added. The consistancy is about like a thin milk shake. I do not add any sugar too it. But, most people here do. The important thing is to have a clean operation to process the berries. They need to be soaked in hot water before squeezed to soften the pulp. Since I plan on having at least 50 E. precatoria trees growing on my lot I should have enough berries during some times of the year to make my own. The pastureized pulp that is exported to make the drinks in the USA and elsewhere is heated upon processing.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Mark quote:

I did some research awhile back and the Acai berry is very high in anti-oxidents! I guess it depends on who you get it from.

Mark, yes Acai is a very high anti-oxident juice but as you said the quality or purity of it depends on who or where you get it from. If you got the climate for it why not grow your own? The Acai berry (palm fruit) comes from two very beautiful ornamental palms: : Euterpe oleracea and Euterpe precatoria.

As I see it, the only way the medical community would support or believe in Acai is if some pharmacitical company

came up with a drug of some kind that had similar properties as the Acai. Then it would be OK for them to make "sick" amounts of money off of it.

Hello Al,

I could'nt agree more!!! The juice that we drink is not pure Acai berry extract, because it has other qualities as well, like B12 and vitamin C and other stuff. It is mixed so it is pleasurable to drink and good for you. BTW, my wife's other sisiter is a RN as well and she loves the stuff!!! Everybody knows that drugs (good and bad)started as a household remedy or high and were derived from plants. There are many plants and herbs out there that science has'nt discovered as beneficial to man, but if and when they do,,,, they'll try and push it through the FDA!!! That way doctors can get a kickback for pushing certain drugs!!!! Everybody makes money and the consumer, (us) pays for it!!! If they don't go through the FDA, then it is snubbed!

I am not by any means trying to back up the Acai berry thing, i just am trying to make a living and doing the best i can!!! My wife and i are not trying to make "sick" money w/ this, we both have jobs and do not have the time to try!!!

Thank you Al for the info about the palms that have the fruit, i'll look into getting some of those palms!!! I have many different fruit trees here and some are very rare, i love to grow my own fruit and veggies.

I have, Orange trees, grapefruit, tangerine, olive, mango, avacado, papaya, jabotti caba, and many veggies as well!

Untill i can grow my own, i'll stick w/ what i can get!!!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

The Euterpe edulis produces pulp pretty much the same as the Euterpe precatoria and E. olearcea from what I understand. In fact in areas of southern Brazil where this tree is common they do make basically the same drink as here in Amazonia. You could grow this palm much better in colder climates and at least get a few berries to make fresh drink with.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

The Euterpe edulis produces pulp pretty much the same as the Euterpe precatoria and E. olearcea from what I understand. In fact in areas of southern Brazil where this tree is common they do make basically the same drink as here in Amazonia. You could grow this palm much better in colder climates and at least get a few berries to make fresh drink with.

dk

I am going to give these palms a try!!! I would love to grow my own!!! Do you think it will thrive here in Central Florida?

I would much rather grow it myself instead of paying for it, that way if the Acai berry is'nt what it's cracked up to be, then i'm not out anything!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

I am going to give these palms a try!!! I would love to grow my own!!! Do you think it will thrive here in Central Florida?

I would much rather grow it myself instead of paying for it, that way if the Acai berry is'nt what it's cracked up to be, then i'm not out anything!!!

Mark,

I have two ACAI PALM (Euterpe oleracea) growing in 7-gallon pots right now, they are VERY fast growers! I bought them this summer in Loxahatchee, FL when i was down there on a business trip. When i bought them they were in a 1-gallon pot, and ready to be re-potted. They are a really beautiful palm, but i admit i bought them for the miracle fruit too :mrlooney: , not for the looks. I lost 1 due to the cold weather back in Oct/Nov, but that was my own fault, as i had only re-potted 2 of the 3 i bought. I currently have the other two in the spare room facing the window at the moment. At least until this nasty cold weather goes away, im sure by this time next year I will have them in the ground. Next time i go down there i can pick one up for you if you like, and you can pick it up at my house, im only 30 ~ 45 minutes from Orlando.

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Mark,

I would try and grow the E. edulis in your area for sure. The other Euterpes from my area, that is equatorial humid tropics will grow alright until you have a cold snap. They are native to areas that are within 5 degrees each side of the equator where the minimum tempertures ever recorded have not been much under 60 F. On the other hand the E. edulis comes from Southeastern Brazil which in many areas experiences temperatures around freezing from time to time.

To make home made juice do the following:

Soak the ripe berries in warm water for about 20 minutes to loosen up the pulp.

Put them in some sort of container large enough to smash them with something maybe like a baseball bat or a large stick.

Once you have a pulpy mixture strain out seeds, skin, but let the thick pulpy juice flow through.

Add some water to thin the mixture to taste.

You can add sugar, honey or other sweeteners to improve the taste, if you like sweets. I just drink the stuff straight. It will take probably 5 or 6 years from seed to get bearing fruit trees. Well, I do not really know about the E. edulis, but for the E. precatoria and olearcea that is the case. There is a variety of E. olearcea developed by EMBRAPA the Brazilian Federal Agricultural Agency, that will fruit in 3 years from seed. But, it still would have the same clmatic restraints.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg