IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cold air headed for Florida midweek

SubTropicRay

The airports readings are usually not that representative of the area as a whole, especially during radiational cooling nights.

Yes....many times the same thing holds true over here in Tampa Bay area. So many times the airports are showing temps that are several degrees warmer than other stations not all that far away. I can see this in Orlando this morning as there are a good number of stations reading upper 20's, while the airports are showing low 30's.

8 or 9 times out of 10, the Tampa AP reads higher than my yard (which I would not expect), and 10 out of 10 times the Clearwater/St Pete AP and Albert Whitted APs read higher than me (which I would absolutely expect).

Edited by spockvr6

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Ihear ya. Weather underground has 34786 at 25f, but it says magnolia springs pws. Magnolia springs is around jax. airport says 33f. I'm usually warmer than the airport. The same thermometer that is part of my pool system says 38fyesturday it said 34f at this time. So is it warmer then yesturday? or is my thermometr just way off all the time. Fawn has apopka well north of me at 26f.

The airports readings are usually not that representative of the area as a whole, especially during radiational cooling nights.

Yes....many times the same thing holds true over here in Tampa Bay area. So many times the airports are showing temps that are several degrees warmer than other stations not all that far away. I can see this in Orlando this morning as there are a good number of stations reading upper 20's, while the airports are showing low 30's.

8 or 9 times out of 10, the Tampa AP reads higher than my yard (which I would not expect), and 10 out of 10 times the Clearwater/St Pete AP and Albert Whitted APs read higher than me (which I would absolutely expect).

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Ihear ya. Weather underground has 34786 at 25f, but it says magnolia springs pws. Magnolia springs is around jax. airport says 33f. I'm usually warmer than the airport. The same thermometer that is part of my pool system says 38fyesturday it said 34f at this time. So is it warmer then yesturday? or is my thermometr just way off all the time. Fawn has apopka well north of me at 26f.

Yeah...sometimes you have to look closely at what station is being "assigned" to a zipcode.

In the case of 34786, the closest station is indeed the Magnolia Springs one (looks like it is just south of Ocoee), but it does seem to be reading a "cold hole" at 25F, as some other stations within a few miles are 3-5F warmer.

Larry 

With light out now, went to check how things look. Light frost on cars, roof, and grass, so definitely the coldest snap down here this year. Coooold out there!

Royal Palm Beach, FL.

USDA Zone 10A/10B Subtropical

26.7 degrees N. latitude

10 miles West of West Palm Beach and the ocean

Avg. yearly rainfall 58 inches

:cool:

Just barely above a freeze here in 34689....33.5F at 715AM.

post-200-1232625765_thumb.png

Larry 

With light out now, went to check how things look. Light frost on cars, roof, and grass, so definitely the coldest snap down here this year. Coooold out there!

Just went outside and did the same here.......frost on rooftops and grass (for those yards that have it :mrlooney: ) and some light frost on some palm leaves. There will be some damage from this one.

Larry 

29.4 with heavy frost, took a quick walk outside and I see a lot of frozen plants.

Edited by Tampa Scott

29.4 with heavy frost, took a quick walk outside and I see a lot of frozen plants.

Scott-

My indicators will be my Travellers Trees....will be curious to see how they look once it warms back up. They look OK now (none of that whitish freeze dried look like I saw last January), but well see.

Larry 

34F here at 7AM but the ice train was everywhere overnight including St. Pete. St. Pete was in the upper 30's to near 40F and the frost was widespread.

Tampa's airport temps have warmed over the years. Either that or the jet exhaust is around at the exact moment the temp readings are taken. The low at the airport was 36F.

Start planting some oaks Larry.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Light ground frost in Pompano Beach, east of turnpike, w/o I-95. Nothing on cars, roofs from what I can see.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Guest LeftCoastAngler

I can't water my plants down, the hose is clogged w/ I'm guessing frozen water! :(

I've got frost everywhere aswell... Just dropped the daughter off at school, and lawns and vehicle tops are covered with it...

31.8F and warming now! :) Bottom'd out @ 29.1F just before sunrise @06:45

~LCA.

One more night of this crap, then it looks like we are in the clear for the time being!

Larry 

Well if anyone had told me I would thrilled at my low last night two weeks ago, I would have said they were crazy!

I bottomed out at 29.4F, warmer than the night before, but still two nights below freezing. It will be a third if they have tonight right? :hmm:

I will have damage, as I saw damage from the first night. But I don't think I will loose anything which would not have been the case if the forecasts as of 6:00 PM had developed, mid 20's. Palms would have certainly died if we had reached the temps they forecasted! :winkie:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

One more night of this crap, then it looks like we are in the clear for the time being!

Still expecting cold there tonight? Supposed to be in low 50s here tonight.

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

The tarp was worth the effort... Had a themometer outside and one inside and the air was 36/40 respectively. I'm sure the Vershaffeltia will show some spotting over the next couple days as they always do. The biggest loss I can see is my 2 leaf Cytostachys seedlings, most of them are yellowed out and don't look great and a couple have already moved on to palm heaven. :crying: I think they were just too small for this kind of weather...

Still expecting cold there tonight? Supposed to be in low 50s here tonight.

Yes...one more night up here......supposed to be milder than the past two nights, but still possible 30's.

Larry 

34F here at 7AM but the ice train was everywhere overnight including St. Pete. St. Pete was in the upper 30's to near 40F and the frost was widespread.

Tampa's airport temps have warmed over the years.

I have so much stuff in my yard, that things seemed to be protected from frost, with the exception of a few things out back I think. Even the house roof wasnt frosted I guess because of all the tall palms around it. The other houses down the street had white roofs!

But, this picture says 1000 words!

post-200-1232629842_thumb.jpg

post-200-1232629851_thumb.jpg

Larry 

The low here at Leu Gardens was 31F. We use a Davis Vantage Pro2 station and it logs every 15 minutes. Check out what the temperatures did last night;

3:00AM- 32.7F

3:15- 31.5

3:30- 31.1

3:45- 31.9

4:00- 32.7

4:15- 33.1

4:30- 33.0

4:45- 32.8

5:00- 32.8

5:15- 32.4

5:30- 32.6

6:00- 32.8

6:15- 31.9

6:30- 32.2

6:45- 32.1

7:00- 32.3

now its almost 9AM and its up to 40F

The night before the low was 32F and now 31F, much beter than they were prediciting

I had frost at my house when I left around 8AM. I live about 6 miles north of downtown. My heliconia and banana leaves looked like they will have some burn but at least they weren't already droopy and melted. My 20ft Archontophoenix cunninghamiana looked like there will be some burn, probably frost damage, as it was dripping water since it was getting the sun. The 5ft Hyophorbe indica and Cocos looked alright so far as did the Dypsis decaryi. I rent a house so don't have much planted out.

Driving in to work, the bananas and traveler's trees in yards looked mostly fine. I'm sure there will be some burn but they didn't already have that melted look.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

hope everyone had minimum damage due to this cold snap woke up Early at 7am was at 37.2 was slowly raising

with some light frost nothing major and i hose down all the palms with the hose to get the frost off as long your above 32

then you can. hopeful this is the last of this crap and enough of it this year :mrlooney:

Regards

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

Looks like the urban heat island helps again in Orlando, OIA dropped to 31 and went back up a bit, and the exec. airport hasn't even hit freezing. A far cry from mid 20s. The airports readings are usually not that representative of the area as a whole, especially during radiational cooling nights. Also looks like the temps at alot of the personal weather stations in the area are on the rise.

Yeah, I noticed that Orlando Exec (Sanford, right?) is two degrees warmer than Coral Springs in Western Broward, now sitting at 31F. Looks like Orlando may be better off than farther south.

Ken,

Orlando Exec Airport is just east of downtown, its that regional airport across from Fashion Square Mall. The Intl airport in sanford is Sanford-Orlando Intl, not to be confused with OIA

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

We use a Davis Vantage Pro2 station and it logs every 15 minutes.

Nice station! I also use a Davis. They are so much better than the Oregon Scientific ones I used before.

Since I dont mind having larger datalogs, I grab data every 1-2 seconds with my Davis.

Larry 

Archbold Biological Station in south Highlands County logged 15 degrees, just two degrees shy of their all-time record (on two occassions) of 13 degrees, the last time being Jan. 5, 2001!

I only had light patchy frost, but my low was 28 degrees around 5:30 A.M., but that was closer to the house in a more protected area. Out in the open yard it may have well been in the mid 20s. As of now most of my palms look okay, but the jury will be out until at least this afternoon.

If in fact my palms aren't too damage, I think it may be because of the light frost and the fact that the night before low was 31.3, giving the palms at least sometime to acclimate slightly. This could be wishful thinking. Time will tell.

Mad about palms

Archbold Biological Station in south Highlands County logged 15 degrees, just two degrees shy of their all-time record (on two occassions) of 13 degrees, the last time being Jan. 5, 2001!

Holy crap!!

Isn't Highland Co big Citrus area? That's got to hurt.

Hope your palms are OK Walt.

_____

I just noticed I read the info for OIA wrong, it dropped to 29F

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

The low here at Leu Gardens was 31F. We use a Davis Vantage Pro2 station and it logs every 15 minutes. Check out what the temperatures did last night;

3:00AM- 32.7F

3:15- 31.5

3:30- 31.1

3:45- 31.9

4:00- 32.7

4:15- 33.1

4:30- 33.0

4:45- 32.8

5:00- 32.8

5:15- 32.4

5:30- 32.6

6:00- 32.8

6:15- 31.9

6:30- 32.2

6:45- 32.1

7:00- 32.3

now its almost 9AM and its up to 40F

The night before the low was 32F and now 31F, much beter than they were prediciting

I had frost at my house when I left around 8AM. I live about 6 miles north of downtown. My heliconia and banana leaves looked like they will have some burn but at least they weren't already droopy and melted. My 20ft Archontophoenix cunninghamiana looked like there will be some burn, probably frost damage, as it was dripping water since it was getting the sun. The 5ft Hyophorbe indica and Cocos looked alright so far as did the Dypsis decaryi. I rent a house so don't have much planted out.

Driving in to work, the bananas and traveler's trees in yards looked mostly fine. I'm sure there will be some burn but they didn't already have that melted look.

Eric--

Lots of cold hours there, but at least not very low temps. I'll bet you'll be in pretty good shape. Got as cold in Western Broward (Coral Springs) at 31F.

Thanks for airport info. Got to figure Sanford was considerably colder than downtown Orlando.

_____

The tarp was worth the effort... Had a themometer outside and one inside and the air was 36/40 respectively. I'm sure the Vershaffeltia will show some spotting over the next couple days as they always do. The biggest loss I can see is my 2 leaf Cytostachys seedlings, most of them are yellowed out and don't look great and a couple have already moved on to palm heaven. :crying: I think they were just too small for this kind of weather...

QUOTE -PiousPalms @ Jan 21 2009, 01:18 PM

I did watch the Barnum and Bailey trains pass by going north the other day.... Hmmmmm? wink.gif

Thanks Matt, I'm always unsure when the weather acts up, it's totally out of my control angry.gif

Bill- That tent I suspect will keep it 3-5 degrees warmer than the outside temp. The humidity inside will help thats sure. You could use my trick of some halogen lights in there for some heat.

Good luck everyone!

See? Told you so.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

For a reference, my mom said her low near Sedona, AZ (3000 ft level) was only 49F this morning!!

_____

Quick summary around the state----

Jacksonville (Craig) - 17F

Jacksonville - 21F

St Augustine - 26F

Orlando - 30F

Melbourne - 28F

West Palm Beach - 36F

Fort Lauderdale - 41F

Miami - 44F

Key West - 50F

Tarpon Springs - 34F

Tarpon Springs (my house) - 33.5F

Tampa - 34F

Tampa Vandenberg - 24F (NEW RECORD)

McDill AFB (Tampa) - 30F

Clearwater - 36F

St Petersburg (Albert Whitted) - 42F

Fort Myers - 33F

Pine Island (St James City) - 39F

Larry 

Eric--

Is the Leu Davis VantagePro on wunderground? I was looking last night on wundermap and didn't see a station at the gardens. You (and everyone else with one) should get registered and upload to wunderground, that wundermap is incredibly helpful in looking at variations in temp across areas! I'm amazed at my own station and the differences between our downtown location near the river and the cold-spot airport six miles inland. Obviously there are similar (and even more incredible) variations across Florida. I was seeing readings from 24-40 in areas around central Florida, over short distances.

Michael Norell

Rancho Mirage, California | 33°44' N 116°25' W | 287 ft | z10a | avg Jan 43/70F | Jul 78/108F avg | Weather Station KCARANCH310

previously Big Pine Key, Florida | 24°40' N 81°21' W | 4.5 ft. | z12a | Calcareous substrate | avg annual min. approx 52F | avg Jan 65/75F | Jul 83/90 | extreme min approx 41F

previously Natchez, Mississippi | 31°33' N 91°24' W | 220 ft.| z9a | Downtown/river-adjacent | Loess substrate | avg annual min. 23F | Jan 43/61F | Jul 73/93F | extreme min 2.5F (1899); previously Los Angeles, California (multiple locations)

I'll never forget going into my backyard the coldest morning of the 2007 freeze here in San Diego. The temp was 28F or 29F, I can't remember which but that feeling of cold that hit the face was really wierd, almost like a slap. I hope to not have that feeling again any time soon. Overall, it looks like things for your folks turned out to be not too bad. I hope you all keep up any reports of damage, if there was any.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

See? Told you so.

Does that mean your sending the halogens? :lol:

wait a sec, what kind of halogens? I have those super bright double halogen things on a tripod, like a work lamp thing... Do those put out a big enough amount of heat to affect temp under the tarp?

805673011311md.jpg

At 8:30 a.m. the snazzy thermometer we taped to a queen palm read 33F 1-1/4 hour after sunrise. The news last night called for freezes throughout the area and repeated the mantra, "frost, frost, frost" until I got spooked enough to take every sheet in the house to drape over most of our palms. Good thing, too, because when I went out to remove them they were coated with ice crystals. I think/hope I spared most of my in-ground palms some serious frond burns that take all growing season to go away. Now I have a new mantra, "One more night of this....."

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Tampa's Peter O'Knight Airport, which I've now found most closely resembles my low temps, bottomed out at 34F.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

my meter dropped to 24.1. The regional airport logged 18 degrees just as forcasted.

I was almost 1 degree warmer than last night 23.2. I had a big fire blazing for aove an hour in the back yard and made a big pile of coals at about 2am. i like to think it helped but didnt effect my meter readings(fron yard).

livistonas showing dark blotches on the leaves.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Eric--

Is the Leu Davis VantagePro on wunderground? I was looking last night on wundermap and didn't see a station at the gardens. You (and everyone else with one) should get registered and upload to wunderground, that wundermap is incredibly helpful in looking at variations in temp across areas! I'm amazed at my own station and the differences between our downtown location near the river and the cold-spot airport six miles inland. Obviously there are similar (and even more incredible) variations across Florida. I was seeing readings from 24-40 in areas around central Florida, over short distances.

No, its not on there but I will look into it. Didn't know about that!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Incredibly, the high here yesterday was only 49F !

Gotcha beat here Eric!

My station only logged 46F for the high! Incredible, and apparently a record!

Larry 

Frost frost and more frost :angry: The kids loved making frost balls from the cars and throwing them at each other. My yard was coated and I have splotches on alot of fronds. The banannas look like crap (no big deal) and the Plumarias leaves are wilting. The plumarias are still firm which is all that matters. When they go to mush is when it is all over. I think I'll only have some cosmetic damage.

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

Lots of frost here too - so much frost on cars that I had to scrape off the windshield in order to see to drive my daughter to school. I haven't had to scrape frost off of a windshield since 1984 when I was living in New Jersey. I had to take out 9 huge oaks this summer that had been damaged by Charley in 2004 and were dropping limbs everywhere, so I lost a lot of my canopy and frost protection. I am glad that it did not get any colder (about 30, some forecasts were for 25). Aroids are already wilting - not a big deal. Will have to wait and see on the important stuff, the palms and cycads.

Sorry for those who experienced colder temps and greater losses to their garden. Even 30 was too cold for me - blehhhhhhh!

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA

Incredibly, the high here yesterday was only 49F !

Yes, that is one thing that hurt us - I was hoping that it would get at least into the mid 50s, giving it further to go to reach 32 after dark.

With a high of 49, freezing was just too close, especially under these conditions.

Bob Johnson
Orlando, Florida, USA