IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Winter-Protection"  (not for the average person)

BobbyinNY

Ok, everyone......

I'm almost finished..... My wife is seriously ready to send me to the looney bin... she broke down last weekend and said..."Ok, we'll move...lol"

First,  15ft P. Elegans... I had to shorten this because it was too top-heavy... but you get the idea...

post-57-1161190628_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

P. Roebelleni...

post-57-1161190678_thumb.jpg

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

inside the domehouse...

post-57-1161190700_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

biosphere

post-57-1161190791_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Inside the Biosphere.......

post-57-1161190978_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

banana

post-57-1161191000_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

banana

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Wow I am going to show your post to my wife that way she doesn't think I am too crazy!!!  Love what you are doing actually...I would like to see a clearer pic of your P. elegans.

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

Wow I am going to show your post to my wife that way she doesn't think I am too crazy!!!  Love what you are doing actually...I would like to see a clearer pic of your P. elegans.

here's a clear pic........

post-57-1161195067_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

As impressed as I am with your efforts, I think you would find it in your own best interest to REALLY go all out. :D  If your wife is questioning your sanity at this point, and even (remotely) considering the possibility of moving, just think of the possibilities if you were to plant a dozen tall tropical palms in your garden, and what you would have to do in order to protect those palms. That would definitely convince her that you're WAY beyond help and a move to a warmer location is the ONLY option!! :cool:

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Well Robert, if I was a betting man I'd be wagering on the  P. Elegans not making it through. I hope I'm wrong, if you pull this off you will have my utmost admiration.

Love the  Biosphere!

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Bobby,

You probably have your neighbors thinking their losing it.  Their probably asking themselves if they really live in New York when they see your yard.

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Bobby,

Very nice constructions, that's a huge one for the P. elegans, i think he's bigger then my protection for the phoenix that i have here.

But may i ask why you start so early with the protection ? I don't start with it when the give no frosty nights ... Last year i think i build my constructions in the end of november.

But after all, great job !

Southwest

Well Robert, if I was a betting man I'd be wagering on the  P. Elegans not making it through. I hope I'm wrong, if you pull this off you will have my utmost admiration.

Love the  Biosphere!

Doug,

I know it's gonna be a tough one, but there will be a small space heater in there to keep it above 40f at  night... I'm not looking to keep this thing growing like the stuff in my biosphere, just to keep it alive till next spring

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

You probably have your neighbors thinking their losing it.  Their probably asking themselves if they really live in New York when they see your yard.

Don

Yeah, Don.... everyone loves it.. that is, everyone except the old B@#ch next door who's called the town on me 2x - mostly for the parties I have on my deck.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

Very nice constructions, that's a huge one for the P. elegans, i think he's bigger then my protection for the phoenix that i have here.

But may i ask why you start so early with the protection ? I don't start with it when the give no frosty nights ... Last year i think i build my constructions in the end of november.

But after all, great job !

Because in November we start getting ALOT of Rain and I'm really busy with alot of other things and don't have the time. I'd rather be prepared early.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

I'll never complain about Southern California again.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

simply put, you rock. what material do you use to cover your domes?

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

simply put, you rock. what material do you use to cover your domes?

The (2) that I have in the backyard, I bought from ACF Greenhouses and it comes with a Polyethelene "Gro-tek" fabric..    The other one I built myself for the P. Elegans... that fabric is 6-mil poly that I bought from home depot and it comes in rolls that you can cut.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Good luck Bobby and I hope you have a mild winter!!!! I will never complain about covering my palms with a sheet for a few nights a year again...

I know you will let us know how it goes.....and again GOOD LUCK.... and your work looks great!!!!

Phoenix Area, Arizona USA

Low Desert...... Zone 9b

Jan ave 66 high and 40 low

July ave 105 high and 80 low

About 4 to 8 frost a year...ave yearly min temp about 27F

About 8 inches of rain a year.

Low Desert

Phoenix.gif

Cool Mtn climate at 7,000'

Parks.gif

Bobby!

YOU are my hero!!!!!!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow Bobby, I used to think i was the "palmscraper" construction guy when i lived in MD, but dude, you have me beat hands down!!!!! :D

You outta paint NG2 on the side of those contraptions....No Guts, No GLory!

Btw, if you are heating those monsters, make sure you keep the air moving for moisture control.

Anyway, here is what i used to go through a few years ago........

Good luck with all your trees!

post-110-1161211014_thumb.jpg

Rusty Bell

Pine Island - the Ex-Pat part of Lee County, Fl , USA

Zone 10b, life in the subs!...except when it isn't....

Oh my..

Is there going to be some sort of heating system in place? Looks great, now I gotta start thinking of a Coconut up here in norther california.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

Bobby, time to move south.

I personally draw the line with any type of protection that takes more than 5 minutes (such as wrapping palm).  You've got everyone on here beat I am sure.

I agree with Bill, you're a champion. You do your thing in life, that's what it's about, turning passion into reality against the odds, and as long as the wife holds in there (I'm sure she will, God bless you dear) and you're not hurting anybody (the lady next door is jealous she doesn't have company) you will have joined the human race, making ongoing statements about love of this planet.

I'd only consider moving if you do start losing palms in bulk.

Here's an idea, as long as the pocket is deep enough, grab some conifers in pots and place them around the palm super domes/covers. For aesthetics.

Good luck this winter Bobby of New York.

ps: How about a mini movie for the fans.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

The P. elegans looks great.  How long have you had it?

Karel Castro

Burbank, CA (San Fernando Valley)

A proud owner of many potted palms :)

I'm now thinking of covering my entire garden for the winter, which would be easier for me than what Bobby has had to do, because my garden is so small.

Well done Bobby, I hope your efforts prove successful.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Oh my..

Is there going to be some sort of heating system in place? Looks great, now I gotta start thinking of a Coconut up here in norther california.

Yeah, I will have a small 1500-watt space heater... Palmy, you should definitely try a cocos up there in Orinda... You may get some cold temps, but I'm sure you don't get the wet, dampness like we do..

The P. elegans looks great.  How long have you had it

Thanks, Karel... I've had it since the beginning of May, 2006

I'm now thinking of covering my entire garden for the winter, which would be easier for me than what Bobby has had to do, because my garden is so small.

Well done Bobby, I hope your efforts prove successful.

Thanks, Corey.... I guess time will tell... I know this is going to cost me a fortune this year, but, by next year at this time, I hope to transplant them all somewhere warm where they can grow without any protection. I've convinced my wife to move south, now it's just a matter of how FAR south..

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby your low NY temps beat my low W.Sussex temps easy and I will never complain ever again.

So we have just had an overnight gale - yeah - but it was at least mild.

The palms normally get time to ripen up before winter strikes.

Regardez

Jon

Juan

Great effort Bobby, and good luck with those.  Do you used any outdoor rated thermostaticly controlled 110v switches to control your heaters, or are they built in?  I am looking for something to control my rope lighting.   I tried searching for them,  but get tired of weeding through standard household thermostats.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

(BobbyinNY @ Oct. 19 2006,14:45)

I've convinced my wife to move south, now it's just a matter of how FAR south..

I reckon Brazil is your best bet, probably a little further than you were thinking though.

]

Corey Lucas-Divers

Dorset, UK

Ave Jul High 72F/22C (91F/33C Max)

Ave Jul Low 52F/11C (45F/7C Min)

Ave Jan High 46F/8C (59F/15C Max)

Ave Jan Low 34F/1C (21F/-6C Min)

Ave Rain 736mm pa

Wow Bobby!

My wife would have a cow if I pull the same "palm protection" as you did.  She's already complaining that I care more for my palms than her.  Hmmm... I probably move south before I spend the $, time, and engergy. :D .   You are quite the handyman Bobby!  Good luck with the palms through the winter.  If successful, maybe NASA may ask you to help them with their biosphere research. :P

Very cool set up Bobby.  Your protection scheme has gotten more elaborate than last year.  I only remember you talking about one heated structure then.  I'm sure you are looking forward to moving South.

It will be a bit sad though to the forum though.  I'll bet when people on this forum talk to their friends about stretching zones and winter protection, a lot of conversations start with "There's this guy in New York that...".

Steve Johnson

Northeast of Atlanta, GA  

Zone 7b

Perfect weather for humans, borderline for palms

Bobby: Well, there you go again!

I love it! That is determination and the mark of a true palm fanatic, i.e., to go to those kinds of protection measures (especially for the solitare palms).

I look forward to watching this experiment, and I'm pulling for you/palms. Are you also going to protect the queen palm? I can't recall if it's still in a pot or planted in the ground.

Walt

Mad about palms

Great effort Bobby, and good luck with those.  Do you used any outdoor rated thermostaticly controlled 110v switches to control your heaters, or are they built in?  I am looking for something to control my rope lighting.   I tried searching for them,  but get tired of weeding through standard household thermostats.

no, Iwan... I'm looking around for those 110v outdoor thermostats also... THe heater has 3 settings, but I would really like it to be thermostatically controlled instead.

I reckon Brazil is your best bet, probably a little further than you were thinking though.

yeah, Corey... that's a little TOO far South... I think we'll stay close to the Caribbean somewhere.

Wow Bobby!

My wife would have a cow if I pull the same "palm protection" as you did.  She's already complaining that I care more for my palms than her.  Hmmm... I probably move south before I spend the $, time, and engergy.  .   You are quite the handyman Bobby!  Good luck with the palms through the winter.  If successful, maybe NASA may ask you to help them with their biosphere research.

Funny thing about women is that they want you to have a hobby, then they get jealous of it... Oh well.....

Very cool set up Bobby.  Your protection scheme has gotten more elaborate than last year.  I only remember you talking about one heated structure then.  I'm sure you are looking forward to moving South.

It will be a bit sad though to the forum though.  I'll bet when people on this forum talk to their friends about stretching zones and winter protection, a lot of conversations start with "There's this guy in New York that

awww.. thanks, Steve.... Yeah, it'll be a little sad for me too - I guess part of my fascination is having a yard that no one else does.... but that's not enough to keep me here, cause if I move down south, I want to make it a serious tropical paradise, surrounded with palms, statues & tiki huts so that it looks like something from Gilligan's Island.

Bobby: Well, there you go again!

I love it! That is determination and the mark of a true palm fanatic, i.e., to go to those kinds of protection measures (especially for the solitare palms).

I look forward to watching this experiment, and I'm pulling for you/palms. Are you also going to protect the queen palm? I can't recall if it's still in a pot or planted in the ground.

Walt

Yeah, Walt.. I think I might've gone a little overboard this year - I'll let you know once the heaters are on and the electric bills start coming in.. not looking forward to that...:( .. I plan on keeping these structures as cool as I possibly can without doing any damage to the palms... Last year I kept the one structure around 80f/65f respectively and it was a bit pricey to say the least. If I can keep these around 60/45-50f it'll save me a ton of money.

As far as the Queen... no, there's no way I could protect that - it's now almost 25ft tall... I have a guy from Connecticut who has a 40ft greenhouse that will come next week and pick it up for me.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(iwan @ Oct. 19 2006,07:53)

You could get T-stats designed to control Electric radiant ceiling heat. The hard part is finding one with a ground.  Ask Dean Ouer. (Dypsis Dean)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

For those interested, I did find a 110 line voltage thermostat with a ground from a place on the east coast. (NY or Jersey, I think). It is not rated for outdoor use, but since it should fit any standard outlet box, it shouldn't be too hard to find a suitable water tight outdoor box and make it work.

If interested in more info, PM me.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Bobby, about the palms that you're growing in containers - how long have they been potted up?  You know I totally admire how you've created a tropical oasis up north - it's amazing.  That has to be the showpiece of the neighborhood.  Love seeing the pics of your set-up.

I have a question - when you set up a container for a palm - or other tropical - for long-term use, how do you prepare it?  What medium do you use - and what about drainage?   Hope you don't mind all the ??s - I have some tropicals I'd like to keep in containers, and I want to do it right.

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

Bobby, about the palms that you're growing in containers - how long have they been potted up?  You know I totally admire how you've created a tropical oasis up north - it's amazing.  That has to be the showpiece of the neighborhood.  Love seeing the pics of your set-up.

I have a question - when you set up a container for a palm - or other tropical - for long-term use, how do you prepare it?  What medium do you use - and what about drainage?   Hope you don't mind all the ??s - I have some tropicals I'd like to keep in containers, and I want to do it right

Hi there Sunny... you can ask all the questions you like :)  

While I'm no "expert" on palm-potting I find that just keeping them in a container where they're mildly restricted works best for me - don't go too big. Let the palm outgrow the container. I use regular Miracle-Grow potting mix and I mix in about 20% perlite for extra drainage - that's the key.. I drill lots of holes in the bottom of the pots for extra drainage and I only water them when they're almost dry - then I soak them and wait for them to dry again. During the spring/summer/early fall when they're outdoors in the baking sun I don't have as much control over their watering due to rain - so this is mostly when they're inside. Now also the palms that I actually grow INDOORS (like inside my house) are treated totally different than the palms that I keep outside in the greenhouse. Indoor palms get do not get anywhere near the amount of sunlight and the conditions are much dryer so I don't water as much indoors - just mist the leaves more frequently.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS