IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Winter-Protection"  (not for the average person)

BobbyinNY

I have my  eye set on SE florida, my wife has a lot of family down there and it would be nice to be close to family during the holidays to say the least...I have been reading these posts (which are a bit off the topic of extreme winter protection) and I am a bit disturbed by the premiums for home insurance.. I just bought a new house in Ruskin and the yearly premium was 1100 USD through some no name insurance company. Insurance is a joke, we all know that. They try their hardest not to help in times of need, it hurts their profits. I would be better off insuring myself as my house really isn't worth all that much anyway. Sincerely, I would rather take my chances with nature and fix my damn shinlges out of my own pocket after a hurricane. If this premium were to double or even triple it would be disasterous to my way of life. By the way Bobby, I am convinced (after a trip to Hawaii even), that Miami is the best winter protection out there. I think all your heart desires (with the exception of the great lipstick palm and other ULTRA tropical palms) will grow there. Miami has more consistent rainfall than most of Hawaii (by the way, most of Hawaii is quite arid..this was a surprise to me) and is certainly warmer than socal. Bobby, I don't know what your line of work is, but Miami is the most metropolitan area of FL. You WILL take a pay cut coming down here, but you should be able to find a job and be able to maintain your current standard of living (in miami).

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Bobby,

I remember that very well.  You should see 595 at rush hour coming East in the morning now.  It is a mess more frequently than not.  I always figured there were two sorts of people in Broward County, those living East and those living West, I was always the East group.  I figured if you didn't live close to the beach, why live in South Florida.  I am not one for tract developments either.  Although the homes East are normally smaller there is more atmosphere.   For me Fort Lauderdale is still the best city in the area.  It is not too big, has a good cosmopolitian mix, and is still in the USA.  I worked for years in Miami and have a lot of friends there.  But, I can't really say Miami is in the USA.  It is just close.  Since I already live in Latin America I sort of like going to the States when in Florida, so aside from going down to have lunch with my friends at a cuban restaurant near the airport I tend to stay in Fort Lauderdale.

My first wife, Brazilian mother of my kids, always complains when I am there that every time I come back I seem more relaxed.  The pace in South Florida has picked up a lot, and I guess she is right.  I am tuned into the way things move in the humid tropics, and if you move too fast, you don't get anything done.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bobby,

I remember that very well.  You should see 595 at rush hour coming East in the morning now.  It is a mess more frequently than not.  I always figured there were two sorts of people in Broward County, those living East and those living West, I was always the East group.  I figured if you didn't live close to the beach, why live in South Florida.  I am not one for tract developments either.  Although the homes East are normally smaller there is more atmosphere.   For me Fort Lauderdale is still the best city in the area.  It is not too big, has a good cosmopolitian mix, and is still in the USA.  I worked for years in Miami and have a lot of friends there.  But, I can't really say Miami is in the USA.  It is just close.  Since I already live in Latin America I sort of like going to the States when in Florida, so aside from going down to have lunch with my friends at a cuban restaurant near the airport I tend to stay in Fort Lauderdale.

My first wife, Brazilian mother of my kids, always complains when I am there that every time I come back I seem more relaxed.  The pace in South Florida has picked up a lot, and I guess she is right.  I am tuned into the way things move in the humid tropics, and if you move too fast, you don't get anything done.

dk

Don, I share your sentiment EXACTLY... When I moved down there not knowing the area, I was immediately steered to one  of the many new developments that were just built west of 441 and, being from NY, thought... WOW.. what a deal... a 2-bdrm condo, brand new for $750/month.... in NY that would've cost $2000.00.  Then you have to deal with the "condo commies" and all those damn rules, and you're 1/2 hour from the beach. If I move back it'll definitely be close to the ocean and not in a "development". Although I'd never be able to afford one of those houses around Las Olas, that's more of the feel I'm looking for.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Bobby,

I had a similar experience.  We moved from San Francisco and had a real estate agent who tried his best to sell us on a town house or similar in Margate or west of Universtiy.  We eventually found the house we bought on our own, it was not as nice in many respects, but was in the right place.   I never regretted not going west.

I think that moving frm where you are to SFL you could still do ok in an older neighborhood.  Hollywood and Pompano have some nice areas as well.    I really liked where my house was in Fort Lauderdale, everything was close.   I was just off of Federal Highway and it has really developed and is a great commercial area now.  The bad part was driving to Miami, but then there are always trade offs.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Bobby,

I had a similar experience.  We moved from San Francisco and had a real estate agent who tried his best to sell us on a town house or similar in Margate or west of Universtiy.  We eventually found the house we bought on our own, it was not as nice in many respects, but was in the right place.   I never regretted not going west.

I think that moving frm where you are to SFL you could still do ok in an older neighborhood.  Hollywood and Pompano have some nice areas as well.    I really liked where my house was in Fort Lauderdale, everything was close.   I was just off of Federal Highway and it has really developed and is a great commercial area now.  The bad part was driving to Miami, but then there are always trade offs.

dk

hahahaha.. Margate.. that's where all the "Blue-Hairs" live.... All those old people in the BIGGEST Cadillac or Lincoln they can buy driving to the early-bird specials at 4pm..lol....

But, yeah... I like the older houses with more character. My good friend lives right by Atlantic & Federal in Pompano in a very nice area - but even his house is worth 1/2 million now... it's ridiculous how expensive it's gotten down there. That's why if we move to FL, it'll probably be way north - my wife would never agree to South Florida becuase she wants a little change of seasons.. We're checking out St. Augustine in December. It looks very pretty there and I love the "Spanish Style" houses alot.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Ruskin (and others),

I don't think Bobby is looking at Hawaii as an option, but let me just add a few minor comments. Yes, most of Hawaii is pretty arid, but one of the many great things about Hawaii is the ability to pick an area with unique climate and environment (and you're still going to be VERY close to areas with other weather types - Hawaii is unique among all the 50 states in this respect).

If you like it dry and sunny, you pick the leeward (dry) side of ANY of the islands (and yes, these areas are for the most part definitely arid). If you want it wet and lush (but still with many sunny days!) you pick the windward side of any of the islands, such as the Kaneohe area on Oahu, Hana on Maui or Hilo side on the Big Island. SoFL certainly has more concistent rainfall than any of the leeward, or "in-between" areas in Hawaii, but falls far short compared to the windward sides, which all have concistent rainfall throughout the year. This is not the case in FL. An "in between" area would be, for instance, Honolulu/Waikiki, which is not as dry as the arid parts of the Waianae coast but certainly with much less rain than the windward side, just 20 minutes away!

And just to give you an idea if how local the weather here can be, the town of Waimea up north here on the Big Island has only about 6000 inhabitants. But there is a distinct wet part and a distinct dry part in this little town. It's always an amazing experience when you drive thru the town and it's nice and sunny in the western part and then after a mile, or two, there are all sorts of interesting cloud formations with frequent rain! Waimea is at the 2700 ft elevation.

And Don,

I think we touched on this before, but you moved to SoFL about the same time we did. We moved there in July 79 and lived at 5975 NW 28th St in Sunrise for the first couple of years (two blocks S of Oakland Park Blvd), and then we moved to Coral Springs.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

"I don't think Bobby is looking at Hawaii as an option"

Not with the cost of housing in HI I'm sure he's not. I have looked from time to time and all I can say is ouch!

I do like the lava flow maps though to help you choose a safer area. :D

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Again, as with the weather, there are many different areas here, and especially here on the Big Island there are VAST differences in cost. Without going into details, all I can say is that when it comes to insurance and property taxes we are paying a FRACTION of the numbers that are being thrown around for Florida above. There are areas on the Hilo side of the Big Island where real estate is downright cheap compared to ANY part of SoCal or FL.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Bobby, don't forget about Pine Island, especially the area called Bookelia.  Very good climate, near Sanibel and even though prices have gone up still a good deal. A mix of old Florida and...

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

Although I've lived in Florida for 6 years, I've never experienced a hurricane, but I'm going through a very MILD taste of one right now... Winds out of the SE gusting to 70mph.. I feel like I'm getting blown away.....

Picture taken 10 mins ago..

post-57-1162042167_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

• 2 weeks later...

Bobby,

Your are by far the "Coco Nuttiest" guy in "The Bunch"! Keep us posted on the outcome. I am going "gonzo" this year with the palms in my yard since I am traveling a lot (duel citizenship between New Mexico and "The Republic of California") :D . Last year, only a few burn marks on the Med. Fan fronds. No damage at all on the Trachy. God bless global warming!

Good Luck!

Doug

Los Angeles, California

Avg July: Sunny, 72F

Avg January: Sunny, 72F

Coldest Ever Recorded: Sunny, 72F

Ave Annual Precip: Sunny, 72F

:cool:

Bobby, I'd vote for the wet side of Big Island, the best palm climate for the lowest housing cost.  California and Florida are too congested and too expensive! Both states will surely suffer large price increases for water in the years ahead as well.

San Francisco, California

Bo,

You are right.  I moved to Fort Lauderdale in 1980.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Bobby,

I think that airplanes are a wonderful way to change seasons.  That way you can go enjoy the cold and then come home and forget it.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg

Bobby,

I think that airplanes are a wonderful way to change seasons.  That way you can go enjoy the cold and then come home and forget it.

dk

Totally agree with you, Don.... Now all I need to do is convince the MRS...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

That is the hard part.  But, hopefully reason will prevail.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

82331.gif

amazonas2.jpg