IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia x Allagoptera

edbrown_III

I have been intensely pollenating Butia x Allagoptera

I have a few seedlings but still waiting for some characteristics to hit me in the face. I had posted a putatitve one a whiel back I will repost some Butia hybrids that are precociously presenting some of these characteristics

Best regards

Ed

post-562-1231629049_thumb.jpg

post-562-1231629080_thumb.jpg

post-562-1231629115_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

While moving hybrids in the greenhouse to get some heat and winter growth I stumbled on this jewel in the middle of grouup of my hybrids

Best regards,

Ed

post-562-1231629331_thumb.jpg

post-562-1231629350_thumb.jpg

post-562-1231629373_thumb.jpg

post-562-1231629387_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

What about the other way around? Allagoptera X (Butia or Syagrus or ....)

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

What about the other way around? Allagoptera X (Butia or Syagrus or ....)

I had some crosses of these but seeds were eaten

Best regards

Ed

This garden volunteer has been posted before, presumed cross of adjacent Allogoptera and ?

2007-2-25123.jpg

2007-2-25124.jpg

I had heard folks talk about a Butia x Allagoptera cross during the first palm fest a decade or so ago. I asked on the board but never heard any reply-- This lead me to try to start crossign these species--

This could be the Allagoptera x Butia or a Allagoptera x Syagrus--- or even Polyandrococus ( now Allagoptera) .

What is interesting is the seeds -- all Allagoptera character nothing else.

Best regards and thnks for the information.

Ed Brown

--- where is the tree located ? How

• Like 1

Brad ,

One more thing do you have any more details of this tree or a contact so I could visit it?

Best regards,

Ed

Good job Ed!!!! Looks like the real deal to me!!! I can't wait to see it in ten years, WOW!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Brad ,

One more thing do you have any more details of this tree or a contact so I could visit it?

Best regards,

Ed

It's at his late father's estate in Tampa.

I was there, part of the Holy Land . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Ed,

It's in Tampa, you are welcome anytime, just PM me before you head this way. Next to it are the two original Allagoptera plants from Rio I believe, a couple of regular looking volunteers and this one. There is another similar specimen at the USF Botanical Garden that I presume was donated by my Father. This plant has set seed the past two years but the squirrels get them before I can.

This pic shows the JXB next to them. Also in the area are Butias ands Queens, etc. that were around as possible pollen sources.

IMGP1249.jpg

• Upvote 2

Hi,Brad;

Is it possible that hybrid is Arikury [s. Schizophylla] X Allagoptera? The size of the hybrid is commensurate w/ a cross with something small like Arikury.

Best Wishes,

merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Hello Merrill,

I don't remember or have record of that species in the garden and I think the cross was not actively produced by Dad. The garden log left by Roy Works when he worked with Dad presumes it is an unidentified hybrid produced by the adjacent Allagoptera arenaria.

• Upvote 1

Ed,

It's in Tampa, you are welcome anytime, just PM me before you head this way. Next to it are the two original Allagoptera plants from Rio I believe, a couple of regular looking volunteers and this one. There is another similar specimen at the USF Botanical Garden that I presume was donated by my Father. This plant has set seed the past two years but the squirrels get them before I can.

This pic shows the JXB next to them. Also in the area are Butias ands Queens, etc. that were around as possible pollen sources.

IMGP1249.jpg

Much obliged for the reply -- I will do that

Best regards

Ed

Wow, that is a cool palm, sure looks like the Butia pollinated the Allagoptera. I remember seeing that specimen.

Ed, your babies will be interesting to see what they grow into.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Allagoptera arenaria x (BxJ) ??? This is a shot of Fam. Butiinae! Uncle Attalea behind the little bastard. :)

Edited by Alberto
  • Upvote 1

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

so they do exist, i was wondering for almost two years if such a cross exist.

very, very interesting!...and beautifull.

• 2 years later...

Post an UPDATE! :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 2 years later...

Ran across this thread while looking for Allogoptera threads...........Bizarre! ...never knew such a thing existed....how bout an update on those seedlings.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Great bump. My allagoptera is just starting to bloom.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

This tree would look a lot better if the trunk was cleaned up, dead fronds were cut, and the weird inflorescence thingamabobs were removed.....is that what those are?

Mine (arenaria) has also pushed a new spathe, second consecutive year in this season, but due to low average temps it will start again to develop it next spring. On the other hand another presumably Allagoptera arenaria I have, has never bloomed this time of year and so I begin to have doubts whether it is pure arenaria (maybe mixed with leukocalyx?)

• Upvote 1

• 9 months later...

Bump......Ed?

This palm has recently been moved to the kopsick arboretum in st. Pete florida. It is in good company there and seems to have taken the move well. I will try and make that my first photo that I post!.

• Upvote 1

Hello Ed,

It would be great to see you again, but that Allogoptera hybrid is now at Kopsick Garden in St. Pete. It is on the left in this picture taken last Sunday. A JXB F2 is on the right and the Borassus they transplanted is in the background.

post-771-0-10437200-1412679788_thumb.jpg

Brad,

Much obliged I will keep trying with some of the crosses but its alot of misses and you dont know until years later what yu have --- thanks you for all the hospitality and I hope to get down to see you

Best regards

Ed

• 4 years later...

Any updates?

• 4 months later...
  • 8 months later...

How will the suposed hybrid made by Ed Brown looks now after this years?

• Like 1

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

• 3 years later...

some of these I lost ---- here is some Butia coronata that I planted in the ground   ---photos are from 2021

Buta x coronata.jpg

Buta x coronata1.jpg

Butai x coronata 2.jpg

• Like 2

I appologize I aint that organized and had to travel alot while I was working ---lost some plants to neglect when I just couldnt get to em to water weed or treat --- retired now so catching up on infrastructure repair --- weeding etc. 

• Like 1

What a shame! One of the seedlings looked promising!