IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

'Blue Daze' or Evolvulus glomeratus

Al in Kona

Evolvulus glomeratus, better known here as 'Blue Daze' or 'Hawaiian Blue Eyes' makes a very nice low ground cover with attractive true blue flowers. Once established it can be quite drought tolerant. After a few years it can become a bit "overgrown" (still looks OK though). That's when I cut it way back (using my hedge trimmer) removing most of the green growth and leaving only stubby stems inches above the ground. It then grows back more beautiful than ever after that severe haircut. Here are two pics of it growing in the garden . . .

post-90-1231364886_thumb.jpg

post-90-1231365417_thumb.jpg

Hawaii Island (Big Island), leeward coast, 19 degrees N. latitude, south Kona mauka at approx. 380m (1,250 ft.) and about 1.6 km (1-mile) upslope from ocean.

No record of a hurricane passing over this island (yet!).  

Summer maximum rainfall - variable averaging 900-1150mm (35-45") - Perfect drainage on black volcanic rocky soil.  

Nice sunsets!

Al,

I remember when this plant came around, maybe 15 years or so here in South Florida. Practically every nursery jumped on it and because they root so easy, there were millions of these starting to show up. But after a few years, we started to notice that they really don't thrive here because of all our rains and humidity in the summer. They seem to hold up about 3 years on average in the landscape and then just kind of fizzle out. I like them alot, and although I don't grow them, I think they still have their place in the landscape. Full sun areas and very little water.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Like Jeff said, in FL it grows well for a year or 2 then gets ratty and dies out. Usually it is grown as an annual or short lived perennial. Wonder if it has a short lifespan in habit according to GRIN it is native from southern Brazil to northeastern Argentina, Paraguay, and Uruguay so you would think it would grow better in FL.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

This plant was used as a ground cover in my entire front yard when I first bought my property. They did get ratty looking. I read they bloomed on new wood. For three years I'd have to cut them way back and within 4-6 weeks they would come back fine. I tired of them and eventually removed them.

Still love the color though.

Bren in South St. Pete Florida