IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bo's Orange Crush

BigFrond

Like your kingfisher avatar Clayton, that's an orange crush too. :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Clayton,

My "8 years to trunking" comment wasn't meant as a disagreement of your 10 year estimate. We both know that not all palms of the same species will grow at the same rate, not even when given exactly identical conditions. I have some D. pilulifera, planted at the same time as the one in the photo, and from the same 1G size (about 6 inches/15 cm tall at the time, give or take an inch or so!) that are not even close to trunking. But most of them HAVE started to form a trunk, so my estimate, in my specific location would be "from germination to trunking in about 8-10 years".

Incidentally, my very first "Orange crush" were 2 palms purchased in Jan. 1997, one was in a 1G and the other in a 2G pot. Amazingly, they were sold to me as Ravenea madagascariensis...! It took me a few years to figure out they were NOT Raveneas... Presumably, the seeds for these two would have to have been collected some time around 1994. After this purchase, my next Orange crush acquisition was in Oct. 1997, when I bought a bunch of 4 inch plants from Floribunda. I don't believe these could possibly have been from the same seedbatch. The second acquisition would probably be from seeds that were collected in 1996.

About the name - I think it's fairly safe to assume that "Orange crush" can now be considered to be a common name, and that Dypsis pilulifera (assuming this is indeed one and the same) will always carry this common name. Yes, there are a number of other big Dypsis palms that display a very similar orange color on the trunk/crownshaft, especially after losing an old frond, but that doesn't mean we need to add to the general Dypsis confusion by referring to those palms as "Orange crush" as well! And the name "Orange crush" (as I have pointed out before) was coined by Don Tollefson from Southern California. He and Pauleen Sullivan were touring our garden. Not sure when this happened because Don has been here a number of times, but probably about 5-6 years ago. When he saw this palm he came up with the "Orange crush" name right there on the spot! I believe Don is also responsible for a few other common names, including "Flamethrower" for Chambeyronia macrocarpa.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

And Ari I have some seedling here if you like there just over 12 months old and just starting on their 3 and 4 leaves but they are only small. :huh:

All the best,

Clayton.

Let them grow a bit... Clayton. I might ask the QLD boys to bring them up, if you have any left by then... when they come and pick up their palms - which are still doing well, BTW. I still have PLENTY to plant.. :). It never ends...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Bo,

I did not take it as a disagreement (although i did think you needed to check how long it takes to grow this species into a 1 gal plant) i just wanted to make sure everyone understood how long or should i say what to expect from this species Dypsis pilulifera, as i think their was a little miss understanding out their that these were going to grow quite fast..? Which is not the case, i hope you understand this now Bo, especially to go from a seed to a 1 gal plant in just 2 years. :hmm:

The seed was collected under quite a few different names the most common one was tsaravoasira (it is still collected under this name to day), and over quite a few years but then it just about stoped as we all had too much of this species (I could check my records to be specific here when the first ones were collected but i don't think that's necessary), and like you have found out it was sold under quite a few different names, this also adds to doubling the amount of this sp on the market, in those days you had to take a minimum of at least 10,000 seeds which was far too many for the market to handle, add to this that there were 3 or 4 people bringing in this amount seed of the same species on to the market each year and you can see why it stoped coming in for some time..!!

I "think" a 1 gal is actually equal to our 7" = 175mm or 8" = 200mm pots so this might add a little time to that calculation..? The thing is there just not a fast grower..! Especially if you’re not in the tropics. But as i have explained their are ways to grow these a little faster, and i hope this information i have given helps not just for this species.

And Bo one way or another Orange crush can and will be connected to more than just Dypsis pilulifera in the future i was just simply point this out.

But more appropriately maybe we should use its botanical name then the common name especially here on the forum..? I don't know how many people i get coming into the nursery wanting a palm they have a common name for and this palm can be a totally different palm to the one i know it as...! I can give you many examples here even for the foxtail....Ps i would know what they were talking about if they asked for Bo's Orange crush ...Just joking Bo : ) :rolleyes:

It would be great to have them come in and say i would like a Dypsis pilulifera no confusion no trying to work out what palm they are talking about...!

Ps Did you ask Jeff how long it takes to go from seed to a 1 gal in your climate with Dypsis pilulifera.....? But your estimate of 2 years does not sound right because they do not even grow that fast in Cairns, possibly 3 to 4 then we are getting the correct picture..!

With all that seed that come in years ago these Dypsis pilulifera should be quite a common palm today, it makes me wonder where all of these palms are now...? :hmm:

Clayton.

Hi Ari their are plenty here..! In another 12 months they will start to look like a good 3" plant.. I hope.!! ....Still only a very small plant though "around" 100mm high they don't really look like a normal palm at this size as they are just leaves coming out of the soil. You should try a few in the ground at this size and maybe grow a few on a little longer, to at least to a good size 6"=140mm pot they will be still be just leaves coming out of the soil but they should be a bit larger by then, so for you up there another year and half after this maybe..? :)

Regards,

Clayton.

• Upvote 2

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Thanks Clayton... I should tell Daryl to pick me up some when he sees you next. He should be able to look after them for me until he gets up here (he would probably read this anyway). I will take pics every year to update on their growth... if you want.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Clayton,

Regarding germination and growth rates for seedlings - I have checked my records. BTW, first of all, a typical 1G pot has a diameter of about 150mm and is about 180 mm deep.

The first D. pilulifera/Orange crush seedbatch that I collected here from our trees germinated around March 2007. I put them into 1G pots in July 2007, and today many of these are about 2-3 inches/5-7 cm tall. I'm hopeful that in another 6 months or so they are all going to be nice 1G size plants. That would be about 27 months after germination. HOWEVER, these seedlings have all gone thru a hard time. Apart from potting them up from a community pot to 1G pots, I have repotted them all TWICE, both times into a lighter, faster draining, mix, but they are still not happy, so I am now repotting them for a third time, into a VERY light mix (actually, I'm experimenting with a couple of different very light and fast draining mixes). If I had known two years ago what I think I know now (!!), I would have put them all in a light mix from the very beginning, and I have no doubt that they would have responded very favorably and grown twice as fast! I'll definitely try that with the next pilulifera seedbatch. And I'm convinced I can have a nice 1G size plant in 2 years from germination! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Two years for a 1 gallon? My two-leafers were moved to one gal after about year. :mrlooney: I thought they were on their merry way. BTW, one more croaked. I'm down to five. Yehhh Hawwww! :mrlooney:

• 10 years later...

Good afternoon.
I have received these Dypsis Sp orange crush and I will follow all the information I have read in this forum (faster draining mix). Any more advice with this Dypsis according to your experience? Cold resistance? Full sun or partial shade?

5b6d85da7c317.jpeg

5b6d866a317ad.jpeg

• Like 1