IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Trachycarpus wagnerianus

freakypalmguy

27F and many hours and nights at or below freezing with many mornings with short periods of light frost. Obviously no damage, just figured I would put it here for any newbies. This one should take mid teens no problem.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

T. wagnerianus/fortunei

two weeks with moderate freezes and heavy frost between -4°C/25°F and -6°C/21°F and one night with -8.5°C/17°F and days of only 0°C/4°C (32°F/39°F)...exept some fissures in some leaves no serieus damage....(only with T. wagnerianus, T. fortunei no damage)

• 11 months later...

Lows in the teens and twenties (°F) for the past few weeks with highs in the 30's (°F), lows past two days 2°F and 4°F with highs in the low to mid 20's (°F)... other than about 1-2mm of burning on the leaf tips, no visible damage whatsoever. Palm has been sprayed with FreezePruf.

• 1 month later...

Juni Perez,

I'm interested to know more about your palm(s). Any other protection besides the Freezepruf? I'm over in the Buffalo area and plan on planting my various Trachycarpus seedlings outside once they've gained some decent size. Have you had issues with moisture damage over the winters? Thanks!

• 1 month later...

The Waggie again on March 8th, 2010.

It's been up in the 40's daytime this past week, night time lows in the upper 20's to low 30's.

I was due to reapply FreezePruf last month but did not. Leaves are showing winterburn, but I don't think anything serious. I'm more concerned with rot and fungus since it's kind of wet & cold out there now that we're hitting 50°F. Praying for lots of sun! = )

post-3338-12681373111555_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Low of 14F. 14 days straight of below freezing temps. 50% overhead protection. ~30 Plants in pots (3gal to 15gal) had no damage.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 9 months later...

My Waggie Palm again, February 17th, 2011. (same tree pictured above on 03-09-2010).

No protection other than FreezePruf (I've been applying it on schedule this winter, last winter I skipped an application and the leaf tips got ugly).

We were down to -5°F a couple of nights last month, which is the lowest this season, but there was plenty of snowcover over the palm, so it's only fair to count that as protection as well.

post-3338-062827400 1297981830_thumb.jpg

There is no leaf damage to the new leaves grown this past summer... the leaves with the missing/damaged tips are from last winter.

This would be this tree's 4th winter.

Edited by Juni Perez

• 5 months later...

This is the same Waggie as of this month. It's ready for its fifth winter. I have been away, so none of my palms have been watered to make up for this summer's drought. There is 3-month slow-release fertilizer inground though.

post-3338-060091600 1312985094_thumb.jpg

Plenty of new leaves this summer. Gotta love this guy.

• 2 months later...

Ready for winter… sprayed with FreezePruf and will add extra mulch as it gets colder. Let's hope this winter isn't as bad as the previous one.

post-3338-024202500 1320281981_thumb.jpg

Lowest so far this season: 28°F *insert cackle here*

Edited by Juni Perez

have several waggies and fortuneis for years. Last two winters where very cold.Normal winters we have -1 celsius or -2 C for one or two nights last winters we had daytemps of -6 C and nights -10 C with lots of snow for 3 months..no damage at all. I know people in holland they had -21 C they had severe leave burn..

post-1108-067917600 1320404072_thumb.jpg

post-1108-077111400 1320404099_thumb.jpg

Edited by Texeltropics

Very impressive Esther, these palms must get to a point of cold and just shut down, then switch back on when it gets the right temp, I dunno, just thinking out loud, I wonder if I'll retire next week or not, we'll see.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal

The palms are protected by the snow. The snow forms an isolating layer and protect the leaves against the cold.

You can better have snow and frost then only the frost. When there is only heavy frost the palms will fold the leave slips to minimize the surface to counter the evaporation....the same thing you see by phoenix canariensis in periods off heavy drought.