IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"Complete" List of Palm Genus and their species

cagary

I found this website that lists "every" palm Genus and when you click on the + next to the genus name, "all" the accepted species pop up.

It does seem pretty complete. For example, it lists not only Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana, but also

Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana subsp. ghiesbreghtiana

Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana subsp. glauca

Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana subsp. hondurensis

Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana subsp. spicigera

Man, who knew there were 4 sub species of Calyptrogyne ghiesbreghtiana!

And 131 Pinanaga species!

Anyway, do you see any that they are missing?

http://www.usa.species2000.org/browse_taxa...ted_taxon=43786

Gary,

It's a nice site, but not up-to-date. Just two examples:

Tahina is missing - it was described a year ago (Jan 2008)

Veillonia is still shown. Was lumped in under Cyphophoenix.

Based on these two, there must be others that are either missing or (more likely) shown under an old name.

I always check the Kew site and what I like about it is that it's very up-to-date and also shows synonyms (name no longer accepted).

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Gary,

It's a nice site, but not up-to-date. Just two examples:

Tahina is missing - it was described a year ago (Jan 2008)

Veillonia is still shown. Was lumped in under Cyphophoenix.

Based on these two, there must be others that are either missing or (more likely) shown under an old name.

I always check the Kew site and what I like about it is that it's very up-to-date and also shows synonyms (name no longer accepted).

Bo-Göran

Bo,

Thanks for your reply. Where is the Kew site?

Gary

Gary,

I was just checking the link in the Share-a-Site forum, but for some reason it didn't work. I'll type it in manually and bump the thread and hopefully that'll work.

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

OK, that worked great! I find it useful to just type in the genus name because that way you get ALL species names, current ones as well as synonyms. Names in bold are valid names. Not bold are synonyms.

Nice historical reference if nothing else. Thanks for sharing.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B