IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia X Parajubaea

ghar41

The weather was not very cooperative but I spent an hour or so visiting with Dick and touring his incredible garden.

The first palm is his Butia X Parajubaea. This rare hybrid has been fast growing.

post-376-1231040499_thumb.jpg

post-376-1231040530_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

It really is a beauty. Add the fact its hybrid vigor...and no doubt this is a tremendously sought after hybrid.

post-376-1231040836_thumb.jpg

post-376-1231040900_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Dick and my lovely assistant give scale to the plant. I'll let him take over from here on the details....I know it's only been in the ground a short period of time.

post-376-1231041051_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Glenn, thanks for posting these great shots of a beautiful hybrid... I have a small one and can't wait to see it be this size! Again thanks for the shots. Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

WOW, what a beauty!

I can't wait until spring arrives and I can mine in the ground.

Dick,

I saved the most of all the pictures that I have found of this hybrid and find that yours is the most similar to the father

shown on this picture:

http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?ac...st&id=44844

Marcel

Edited by maesy

Thanks again to Glenn for sloshing around in the rain to get some photos. The above Butia X Parajubaea (cocoides) was planted about 3 years ago and this is it's 3rd winter. It was a 5 gal. size when planted. It has taken 23.5F with no damage. There are reports that this hybrid has taken much lower temps. with no foliage damage. It's my favorite hybrid palm and also one of the fastest growing. In the summer the emerging fronds grow about 1" in a 24 hour period and it has 4 or 5 fronds emerging at different stages of growth. It even grows some with our chilly winter nights.

As you can see the base of the petioles are covered with a thick fiber like Parajubaea, and the petioles have no thorns. The base of the trunk is about basketball size and the trunk continues to expand. I think this is going to be a large palm with a thick trunk. It's being cold tested right now, as it's 27F, our coldest temp. of the year.

Marcel, you are correct. The picture you posted of Darold Petty's P. cocoides is the daddy of my hybrid, and all the others that are of any size.

Dick

Richard Douglas

That has really grown Dick, it appears like it has more than doubled it's size since the las time a pic was posted, probably triple.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Matt,

You are right, this palm almost doubles in size each growing season. I can only expect it will speed up as the trunk expands. At its present rate of growth, I expect it will bloom in 2 or 3 years.

I'm sure this will be a subject for Patrick to experiment on. At first it will have to be determined if it's sterile with a controlled polonization, and then to see if it's receptive to pollens from other species. I can see Patrick trying Syagrus, XButajubaea, Parajubaea and Jubaea, and God knows what else.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Richard,

I know that you have recently had temperatures in the 20's. How well do you expect this palm to do in weather like that? Did you protect it at all?

What is the lowest temperature that it has seen so far? Any damage from cold from years past??

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Hey Rick,

In the winter of '07 it got down to 23.5 F and unprotected the palm suffered no damage. I have heard reports of down to 18 F and even 14 F with no damage. Only time and that cold blask from Alaska will tell.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hello Dick,

You had pm'd me asking for a pick of mine,, well here it is!! I don't think mine is as tall as yours, mine is about 8-9ft.

Beer for scale!!!! :lol:

post-518-1231272786_thumb.jpg

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Very nice Mark. It has also grown a bunch since the last shot. How many years in the ground and from what size is yours?

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Thank you Mark,

It's a wonderful very clear picture.

Just unbelievable how fast they grow in your hot climes.

Mine will have to go through hard times if the winters of the coming years are like the one we are having right now.

For about ten days the main part of western Europe has been frozen. Below zero, day and night!

My lows so far went down to 16°F and has never been higher than 28°F at daytime.

This afternoon was 25°F!

Central Germany gets the whole cold spell from Russia with temperatures down to -4°F!

The weather forecast is announcing that it still goes on like that for another week.

Back to topic.

It is really very coconut look alike with those shining leaves.

I wonder how it will grow in my clime.

Marcel.

Very nice Mark. It has also grown a bunch since the last shot. How many years in the ground and from what size is yours?

Thanks Matt,

I planted it in 2004 i think (give a year or two) at a two gallon size. I put it in the ground as quickly as possable and staked it off so it would'nt be lawnmower food!!!! It has grown very quickly but it is a step behind a Mule palm that i planted across from it. I did this to rank it's growth rate. It is slower than the Mule but it grows all year long so it allmost catches the Mule, but not quite! If you want, i'll take a pic of the Mule palm that was planted at the same time and was the same size.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

It resembles Parajubaea much more than Butia... The only thing tipping me off that it isn't all Parajubaea is less of a twist in the fronds, more flattened. Zero recurve as far as I can see from the photos too. The result is more Coco-like than either parents.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Crap.... NOW I WANT ONE!

And I am running out of room in my yard... I guess it would look good in the center of my front yard..... wonder where I might purchase one....or two or three? ( I bet a mature triple would look dynomite! )

jeff

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

Thank you Mark,

It's a wonderful very clear picture.

Just unbelievable how fast they grow in your hot climes.

Mine will have to go through hard times if the winters of the coming years are like the one we are having right now.

For about ten days the main part of western Europe has been frozen. Below zero, day and night!

My lows so far went down to 16°F and has never been higher than 28°F at daytime.

This afternoon was 25°F!

Central Germany gets the whole cold spell from Russia with temperatures down to -4°F!

The weather forecast is announcing that it still goes on like that for another week.

Back to topic.

It is really very coconut look alike with those shining leaves.

I wonder how it will grow in my clime.

Marcel.

Hello Marcel,

Your weather is probably too cold for a BXP. Do you have a Butia growing there? I would say that a temp reading of

0 degrees would deffinatly kill it! What palms are you growing outside??

Jeff, you will not be dissapointed w/ this hybrid!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Mark,

I'm going to plant mine at a very good protected place.

We did not have temperatures below 14°F here at my house for the last 5 years, and when a cold spell should come in, I will have to give my best and protect as good as I can.

I grow Chamaerops humilis, different Trachycarpus fortunei, Sabal minor, Jubaea chiliensis, chamaedorea radicalis(the first winter)

and lots of other exotics like fics, camelias,Albizia julibrissin, etc.

I'm also going to plant out a Butia eriospatha in spring.

Marcel

Jeff,

You might be able to purchase a Butia X Parajubaea from Patrick Schafer, as I think he's the only guy who has them. You might want to think about one tree because they are very expensive and I think they will grow to be a big palm. It is definately a stand alone palm. His E-mail address is: PLS@Hughes.net This is not the eaisest cocoid hybrid to do, and the demand is very high for this palm. Another nice hybrid to consider is Butia X Jubaea X (Syagrus).

Marcel,

If you can grow Chamaerops, then your could probably grow the Butia X Parajubaea. There are reports they have taken down to 10C. (14F).

Dick

Richard Douglas

Woops,

I ment to say -10 C. Sorry. I don't think in metric.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I marked the emerging frond of Butia X Parajubaea about 5 days ago. It's growth has come to a complete halt, as it's been quite chilly in N. Calif. I don't think I've had two days above 60F since before Christmas, and the nightly lows have been hovering right around 32 F (0 C ) give or take a few degrees. Night time temps. should remain the same, but lower 70's are forcast for the next few days. It will be interesting to see if this promotes any growth.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dick and my lovely assistant give scale to the plant. I'll let him take over from here on the details....I know it's only been in the ground a short period of time.

I saw it in July and it's grown +30% since then!

Jason Dewees

Inner Sunset District

San Francisco, California

Sunset zone 17

USDA zone 10a

21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April

Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.

Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C

Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C

40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

I marked the emerging frond of Butia X Parajubaea about 5 days ago. It's growth has come to a complete halt, as it's been quite chilly in N. Calif. I don't think I've had two days above 60F since before Christmas, and the nightly lows have been hovering right around 32 F (0 C ) give or take a few degrees. Night time temps. should remain the same, but lower 70's are forcast for the next few days. It will be interesting to see if this promotes any growth.

Dick

Hello Dick,

I know you was wondering if my Florida grown BXP was larger than yours or not. Well, i have an idea, please send your

"lovely assistant" here and we will be able to compare!!!!! :winkie: It's the only way to compare sizes!!!! :lol:

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Hi Mark,

LOL, you are a dirty old man. I'm sure the "lovely assistant" belongs to Glenn in Modesto. She is indeed a beautiful, charming "assistant" and puts up with Glenn's palm madness. She was quite patient as we sloshed around in the rain as Glenn took pictures. They have a young son who stood with us until the end of what was not a plesant palm viewing day. He seems to know his palms and I'm sure he will be a future Palm Society member.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi Mark,

LOL, you are a dirty old man. I'm sure the "lovely assistant" belongs to Glenn in Modesto. She is indeed a beautiful, charming "assistant" and puts up with Glenn's palm madness. She was quite patient as we sloshed around in the rain as Glenn took pictures. They have a young son who stood with us until the end of what was not a plesant palm viewing day. He seems to know his palms and I'm sure he will be a future Palm Society member.

Dick

Hello Dick!!

Yes,,, I am dirty,, but i am not old, not yet anyways!!!! :lol: Unless you concider 44yrs old!!!! I do have my own "senorita" that puts up w/ my palm madness as well!! She is a Columbiana, actually my wife looks alot like your friends "assistant"!!!

Like i said your BXP looks to be a little bigger than mine, there is hope for others who live in a cooler climate than I! Apparently it prefers cooler climates!!!! Watch out Matt in Temecula, your BXP is going to skyrocket!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Mark,

Anyone less than 55 is young to me. :)

Your Butia X Parajubaea looks to be about the same size as mine. I'm following the growth of yours with interest, because we have totally different climates, and yet they seem to do fine in both. Mine really chuggs along in the summer time, but now with my chilly night temps. I can hardly detect any growth at all. It looks like you guys in Florida are about to get a winter chill. Make sure you protect the Butia X Coconut.

Dick

Richard Douglas

That is one monster palm, and it looks great. I should read these Butia hybrid threads more often.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

That is one monster palm, and it looks great. I should read these Butia hybrid threads more often.

Wal,

I know Jubaeas grow in Sydney, but is it to tropical for them to grow in Brisbane?

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 5 months later...
The weather was not very cooperative but I spent an hour or so visiting with Dick and touring his incredible garden.

The first palm is his Butia X Parajubaea. This rare hybrid has been fast growing.

Holy moly!!! I bet this one is rather cold hardy. Is this a butia or an eriospatha?

48 degrees north. Extremes 15f to 95f. Cool and Temperate Mediterranean clime.

Average July hi/Lo 72/52 - Average Jan hi/lo 45/38 - Precipitation 20 inches.

• 1 year later...

How are these Hybrids doing? The Butia X Parajubaea that is.

Erik,

Check out the thread with Caps, BUTIA X PARAJUBAEA, as it has the most current photo. The photo by Troy was taken in Sept. 2010, so the palm has grown some since then. The crown of the palm is about 20 feet across and the base of the trunk is about 2 feet in diameter.. I can't believe how fast this palm is growing. It was planted in the summer of 2006.

My other hybrids have reached the size where they should really explode with growth this summer.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Sorry people !!!

Who can tell me which Butia sp and which Parajubaea sp are the parents of this hybrid ???

many thanks guys

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

Sorry people !!!

Who can tell me which Butia sp and which Parajubaea sp are the parents of this hybrid ???

many thanks guys

Hi Pindo,

Butia Odorata (capitata) X Parajubaea cocoides.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Sorry people !!!

many thanks guys

Hi Pindo,

Butia Odorata (capitata) X Parajubaea cocoides.

Dick

Thanks Dick

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me