IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Yet Another Dypsis Mystery

Daryl

I posted a couple of photos of this in another thread, but got no responses so...

Any ideas what this could be?

It is being grown in N. Queensland somewhere, and is shipped down to S.Queensland nurseries. It is labeled as D.lastelliana

However, it looks quite different to the other 'forms' of D.lastelliana I've seen. Could it possibly be another species altogether?

As you can see from the photos it has a maroon spear and petioles, as well as maroon rachis, veins, midribs, and reigns on new growth. It seems to get more colourful as it gets older. The young leaflets do look like those of D.lastelliana so I can see where the labeled name comes from.

It is quite a quick growing palm too, faster than D.lastelliana.

Any other Aussies picked this one up locally or know of it? Clayton, Bill, Michael, Wal, Tyrone, Matt?, Ari, Anyone???

post-42-1231035663_thumb.jpg

post-42-1231035805_thumb.jpg

post-42-1231035890_thumb.jpg

post-42-1231035921_thumb.jpg

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Not sure what it is Daryl.

Could be a hybrid Leptocheilos X lastelliana or Decaryii mix.

Michael Ferreira

Bermuda-Humid(77% ave), Subtropical Zone 11, no frost

Warm Season: (May-November): Max/Min 81F/73F

Cool Season: (Dec-Apr): Max/Min 70F/62F

Record High: 94F

Record Low: 43F

Rain: 55 inches per year with no dry/wet season

Hi Daryl

I have'nt seen or purchased one of them yet!! where did you find the palm pictued?. It looks to be in the lastelliana/leptocheilos group, hopefully it is not a hybrid.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

Hi Daryl

I have'nt seen or purchased one of them yet!! where did you find the palm pictued?. It looks to be in the lastelliana/leptocheilos group, hopefully it is not a hybrid.

Matt, I hope it isn't a hybrid too! I got it from Andy Green at Palms Unlimited.

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Don't know it Daryl.

Any more Andy ?

Yep, okay, I'll have one.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hmm.

To quote a singer:

"I don't know much" and, to quote another, relating to that palm:

"I think I want ya!"

etc.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Very pretty, Daryl... I have to check whether I have anything remotely similar... Very unlikely, I think... but you never know in my shadehouse :rolleyes: . Besides, people have given me stuff that I have no idea what they are...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hmm, Doesn't quite look like my big red, but could be growing condition differences.. I like it!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Ho Daryl! Happy New Year! Must have missed your previous thread. Don't think I have seen this one before. In the past few years quite a few odd 'rednecks' have been coming in from Madagascar and one of the main problems seems to be lack of photos of adult plants. Clayton is doing his best with some of his. I have seen many of Alfred's amazing pics in Mad including one of a large 'lastelliana' looking palm with a white crownshaft topped by red tomentum....and many other strange reds. A good find... Daryl!

Cheers! Bill.

I don't have that one Daryl. I did buy 4 little seedlings labeled as D lastelliana that look like your leaflet arrangement but without the red spear. It did have little black lines down it's petioles so I'm thinking D sp black mealy bug, but who knows what they may turn into. To me they didn't look like D lastelliana. I don't know what you have there Daryl, but, I'd love to have one taht's for sure.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Hi Daryl

Here is one possible species that it might be it looks to be a form of Dypsis lastelliana but has a very small crownshaft, it also had this red new petiole as a juvenile and looks to be a good match for your palm except this one was quite Slow growing..!! If you would like to find out more about this one Mike has this species growing in his yard and I think that Bill collected it…? You would have to ask Mike I bet he has some better photos of it when it was younger as well.

Regards,

Clayton.

post-592-1231167312_thumb.jpg

post-592-1231167379_thumb.jpg

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Hi Daryl

Here is one possible species that it might be it looks to be a form of Dypsis lastelliana but has a very small crownshaft, it also had this red new petiole as a juvenile and looks to be a good match for your palm except this one was quite Slow growing..!! If you would like to find out more about this one Mike has this species growing in his yard and I think that Bill collected it…? You would have to ask Mike I bet he has some better photos of it when it was younger as well.

Regards,

Clayton.

Is this the one you are writing about?! These two palms are about 14-15 yrs old and a bit more like a leptocheilos group plant. Trunks are 3m and one is in seed. This seed is very large...22x20mm...when compared with other rednecks....although the infructescence is quite short. Of the 100 seeds received only 5 germinated although 120 seed weevils emerged! The coll zone is Mandritsara. A very beautiful and neat palm!

Attached 4 pics.

Cheers! Bill.

post-844-1231205206_thumb.jpg

post-844-1231205256_thumb.jpg

post-844-1231205307_thumb.jpg

Hi Daryl

Regards,

Clayton.

Is this the one you are writing about?! These two palms are about 14-15 yrs old and a bit more like a leptocheilos group plant. Trunks are 3m and one is in seed. This seed is very large...22x20mm...when compared with other rednecks....although the infructescence is quite short. Of the 100 seeds received only 5 germinated although 120 seed weevils emerged! The coll zone is Mandritsara. A very beautiful and neat palm!

Attached 4 pics.

Cheers! Bill.

and the original pic of the palm in habitat...courtesy of Alfred.

post-844-1231205649_thumb.jpg

Bill, thats a beautiful palm!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hi Daryl

Regards,

Clayton.

Attached 4 pics.

Cheers! Bill.

Hi Bill and Daryl,

Mikes not the best at the moment and his also having computer problems,

So I will post a little info for him until he gets back on line.

Bill I don’t think the one you have listed is the same as the one Mike got from you, the one I listed the photos of, although it looks very nice, from the habitat photo to the ones you have listed growing at your place there is a big difference, they sure look much better at your place or growing in a tropical environment, than that one out in the open on that hill…! From the photo from Alfred, with a seed the size that you have described you would think this species was more related to Lastelliana than leptocheilos, don’t you think..?

The one in Mikes garden he said you sold him as Dypsis sp “secretii” and that as a young plant it had a very red petiole some times with a purplish tinge to the new petiole before it opened, also the leaves had a little glaucous sheen to them, also note how compact the leaves are and the very small crownshaft, I hope I got all of this right but once Mikes computer is working he will list some better photos of this species and some more information about this palm, and yes it was very slow growing it reminds me of something that Jeff Marcus also has growing in his garden which is a little larger than Mikes but also has this small compact crownshaft.

But once again that one you have listed is a very nice form, it looks like you might have set some seed this time..? :hmm:

Regards,

Clayton.

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Hi Guys,

Hey Daryl here's some pictures for you to check out you'll see some changes over

time with this Palm.

A couple of those are to do with colouration,like the colour on the spear, leaf margins

and also the mid rib (that purplish tinge) will disappear as your plant gets older,

and when young, the new leaf also has a beautiful blueish/green (glaucous sheen)

colouration to it for quite sometime.

I got this Palm from Bill Beattie who possibly got seeds via Alfred on one of Bill's

trips to Madagascar, the name attached was D"secretii" I've even got picture's on

my Old computer of Tag and plant when they first where put in the ground but

I've yet to take those pic's plus many more and transfer them onto another hard drive.

IMO this palm is closer to D lastelliana, but a very dwarf and compact form at that

and is not that close to D leptocheilos, well thats my view, I've found this palm to be

very slow, but at any age a great looker.

I'll get some up to date pic's so you can see what she looks like now, just gotta get

my camera back to do so.

Regards Mikey.

post-657-1231898846_thumb.jpg

post-657-1231898886_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

More........ :)

post-657-1231899084_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Hi Mikey, that pic looks familiar.

Where's the camera ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

:)

post-657-1231900113_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

mikeys still having trouble with his putor ,, more pics to come later

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hi Wal,

Having computer hassles had to log off cos it was frezzing on me

let see how it goes now.

I posted the pic's B4, late 07 or early 08 few new ones in there

here's some more..........

post-657-1231903143_thumb.jpg

post-657-1231903235_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

and more ............. hey Wal the camera is at the Ex wife's place

last pic's for now.

Regards Mikey. :)

post-657-1231903946_thumb.jpg

post-657-1231904080_thumb.jpg

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

and more ............. hey Wal the camera is at the Ex wife's place

last pic's for now.

Regards Mikey. :)

Are you saying it's now an ex camera ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal,

:( No it was a Birthday present from the Family, I Let her use it she's OK.

I've had it back and I have given it to her to use a few times now.

Wish it here more offen,

Hey Daryl what do ya think.

Mikey......

Edited by calyptrocalyx&licuala freck

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Know how you feel mister premiership seaeagle, I have a left arm and left hand, right arm and digital camera. How bad were the floods near you Mikey ? I heard your yard copped some water.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Mikey, yes the colouration looks almost identical. It would be good to see some recent photos. My young plants at home don't seen too slow growing however. How slow is yours compared to a regular lastelliana?

regards,

Daryl

Hi Wal,

Go the Mighty Sea Eagles, I'm sure we'll have another great year in 09 as well,

Yeah I had the SES around here sand bagging my back door cos the lowest room

in the house had two inches (at least) of water running through it.

Man did it make a mess, and all the streets around home had two foot of water

which blocked us off. The creek next to my neighbors place became a river

there place is a bit lower than here so they had it Bad, with there office and shed

getting flooded and they had to pump alot out .

In our Close there was three and a half foot of running water, in other words

it was at the top of my drive way (should have put the croc trap out) you know what the

area around here looks like just hope that we don't get rain like that for a while

it's been years since I've seen it bucket down like that, (I mean at least 15 years).

Hi Daryl,

If I was to compare this palm to ya normal lastelliana it grows at two thirds the speed

I'd say, mine is about nine years old maybe a little older.

At first I also thought it was a pretty good grower, well then I put it in the ground

and then she slowed down heaps maybe they might like it a little cooler I guess

time will tell. I'm hoping that my Daughter isn't using the Camera this weekend

if not I'll get some pic's for you to see (Hey Michael did you take any shots while

you were here yesterday) BTW my palm was half the size of yours when I planted it

and as I said before she's a beauty at any age thats for sure............

Cheers Guys,

Regards Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Hi Mikey,

The flood sounds serious. I hope everything is back to normal now.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Mikey,

Hi Ari,

It was a bad one thats fo sure, the N/Hood still smells a bit, BUT one thing we are having hassles

with at the moment are Croc's and Snakes after the Flood.... Who needs Road kill when you can catch it Fresh

but they're a hassle because they can bite when there alive...

Regards, MIKEY

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Hi Mikey,

Hi Ari,

It was a bad one thats fo sure, the N/Hood still smells a bit, BUT one thing we are having hassles

with at the moment are Croc's and Snakes after the Flood.... Who needs Road kill when you can catch it Fresh

but they're a hassle because they can bite when there alive...

Regards, MIKEY

Way to go Mikey, you know your stuff by the sounds, live snakes and crocs bite, roger that. My n/hood smells but it has nothing to do with flooding, too many kiwis :lol:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 1 year later...

Any updates here Daryl? Or anyone else for that matter?