IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

New Dypsis and other unseen species

Utopia Palms

Great! New stuff!!!

South Florida, USA

Mild sub tropical climate - USDA Zone 10

26.9 deg. North latitude

Altitude (5.1 M)  

Winter avg. temp (15.6 C)

Summer avg. temp (28.1 C)

Yearly Rainfall approx. (1270 mm)

• 2 weeks later...
One more photo.. :rolleyes: This one is Orania lauterbacchiana.

Clayton, this is what Ho'omaluhia has labled as O. lauderbachiana. Obviously a different palm. Any ideas as to what it is? Thanks. Love the pics, keep 'em coming man!

Hi Matt,

Sorry it’s taken some time to answer you back..! It does not look like any of the Orania’s from PNG..! Possibly it’s one from the Philippines..? :hmm:

Ps I will list some more photos soon, I have just been a little too busy at the moment..! :)

Regards,

Clayton

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

Ok here are a few more photos this one is from northeastern India,

Areca nagensis

post-592-1233735069_thumb.jpg

Arenga wightii

Also from India.

post-592-1233735192_thumb.jpg

Pinanga dicksonii.

Another Indian species, Hey Kris I hope you like these.!! :)

post-592-1233735316_thumb.jpg

post-592-1233735374_thumb.jpg

post-592-1233735427_thumb.jpg

Back to Borneo with one of the most sort after licualas besides mapu,

Licuala cordata :drool:

post-592-1233735547_thumb.jpg

post-592-1233735620_thumb.jpg

Pinanga aristata

post-592-1233735902_thumb.jpg

And a new species of Licuala sp. from Rawan, also from Borneo this species was only just discovered a few months ago.

post-592-1233736215_thumb.jpg

Now I will go back on to some Dypsis, this is "Possibly" a very rare form of the broad leaf thiryana..?

Note the divided leaf, which looks very similar to the broad leaf type thiryana palm that this palm is growing in the same locality.

Also note the inflorescence in the second photo, which is also very similar to the broad leaf thiryana type palms inflorescence, but has a little longer Rachilla..!

post-592-1233736553_thumb.jpg

post-592-1233736812_thumb.jpg

So "Possibly" this is a very rare form of the broad leaf thiryana?? :hmm: this form/species is a clumping species that grows to just over 2m tall but these last reaming 3 plants could be quite old which would explain their size, which is also taller than the other species growing in the same locality.

There are only 3 clumps (plants) left of this form/species in habitat, that is it..! :rage: The collectors spent two days in this locality and checked every plant their and their is no more of this form/species! The inflorescence looks to be almost identical as the species that it's growing side by side with, which is the form listed as the broad leaf thiryana, more work is needed to see if this is just a form of this other species or in fact a new species. What ever the case this form/species looks to be critically endangered and is now only represented by these last 3 reaming plants in habitat. The local villagers have no use for this species, as these are no good for the use in making blow-pipes, (which many of these understory species are used for) also they are now cutting timber in this area so the future for this form/species does not look good at all.!! : ( :angry:

Dypsis sp thiryana broad leaf form this form comes from the same locality, I just thought I would add these photo so you all could see the similarities, so the first photo is of the same species as the photos above the next two photos are of the broad leaf thiryana type plant and one of the inflorescence of this species. :rolleyes:

Thats all for tonight more photos soon,

Regards

Clayton.

post-592-1233737891_thumb.jpg

post-592-1233738074_thumb.jpg

post-592-1233738738_thumb.jpg

Wow Clayton you just added about a dozen palms to my "must-have-but-will-probably-never-attain" list.

The Pinangas are particularly interesting. Does the Pinanga Cleistantha keep the mottling even when the palm is old already?

I only have Pinanga Maculata and there is heavy mottling in new leaves and eventually fade. And now that the palm is beginning to trunk-- even the mottling in the new leaves is a lot less conspicuous. Is this true for all Pinangas?

Gene

Manila, Philippines

53 feet above sea level - inland

Hot and dry in summer, humid and sticky monsoon season, perfect weather Christmas time

http://freakofnaturezzz.blogspot.com/

• 2 years later...

A photo-rich topic, and "must-see" for Licuala fans! There's even a post of a mature, seeding Lavoixia macrocarpa! drool.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Ok Here are some more great photos..! :drool:

Here is a form of what I think to be Dypsis "catatiana" this species seems to have quite a few different forms even in the same locality you can see two different forms growing together, this form looks very similar to Dypsis simianensis, (I must say this is a very nice form) but as you can see the inflorescence looks too short..? And the leaf also looks like it's too deeply cut to be Dypsis simianensis..? Also the seed shape of this species is more like a Dypsis catatiana form than Dypsis simianensis but both seeds are quite simular to each other from what I can gather, simianensis seed is more rounded at the ends where catatiana seeds comes to a point at one end, but it's still very hard to tell!! :huh:

As this species has so many different localities each locality can have a different form I think a more appropriate name of this species should have been Dypsis variabilis, although there seems to be quite a few of these Dypsis that can have more than one form and look like another species.

A good example of this is Dypsis bosseri this species can also look like a few other species as well, I will list some photos of a few different forms of these after these habitat photos of mine.

I will also list few more forms of Dypsis catatiana from Philip's photos from his Madagascar trip with John after this post.

For those that received seeds of this species as Dypsis catatiana there was another species mixed in with this seed unfortunately the seed was identical so there was no way of telling that there was this second species in with this seed and I have only just found out that the two species were mixed in under the same name (Dypsis catatiana). The good news is that it looks like this other species is possibly a New species..!

It's simular to Dypsis tenuissima but looks to be a slightly larger form, and is slightly different in it's appearance, I'm still waiting to hear back from John on what he thinks about this species. :hmm:

So here are the photos of what I think is possibly a Dypsis catatiana form and for those that received seed of this species, please note that the seedlings look like they have a bluish tinge to them to tell the difference between this one compared to the other species.

I wonder which the "latest" tennuisima is?

So shoot me for this bump too....haha

Plus, I forgot how cool this thread is!!

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 6 months later...

Nice bump, always nice to have a place to visit, Im thinking hard already for an excuse....... I do have a brother somewhere out there hmmmmm. Wow some nice things coming out of the wide world of palms.

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Just went through this whole thread again, man, those Licualas are really dreamy.. :drool:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

• 9 months later...