IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Everything Palms in the Bay Area!!!

kylecawazafla

A very large Ficus elastica! At least a large one for the Bay Area!

post-305-1231034444_thumb.jpg

I'm always up for learning new things!

Cyathea cooperi again. I didn't realize I took so many tree fern photos!

post-305-1231034820_thumb.jpg

OK ok, I'll get back to posting photos of palm trees on here. Let me finish up Oakland's Lakeside Park Palmetum.

Another unknown sabal. I swear identifying Sabals in Florida and California are two separate activities. I've gotten good with IDing them in Florida, but they all look different in California.

post-305-1231034943_thumb.jpg

An overwhelming amount of palm species! I just realized that the palm in this photo is Laccospadix australisica. Another one of the "unknown" palms from earlier on in this post is a Laccospadix as well.

post-305-1231035131_thumb.jpg

View through the canopy. It looks like the tropics, but didn't feel like the tropics. lol

post-305-1231035265_thumb.jpg

Phoenix theophrasti looks like a spider reaching out of a palm frond cave.

post-305-1231035368_thumb.jpg

The circle of life is about to start over with these monocarpic Caryota urens. I think some people are monocarpic.

post-305-1231035618_thumb.jpg

Like people, Jubaea chilensis also look awkward in adolescence. :P

post-305-1231035653_thumb.jpg

some GIANT eucalyptus. I think these are E. golobus. I'm not sure though, but they're HUGE!

post-305-1231035873_thumb.jpg

These are some very confused Maple trees. Did they know it's New Year's Eve in the Northern Hemisphere??

post-305-1231035916_thumb.jpg

The last three are of Darold Petty's AMAZING garden. The amount of palm species is overwhelming, and he has many palms that I had no idea could grow in the Bay Area, such as Prestoea, Cyphophoenix, and certain Dypsis. I only took these three photos of the garden because I was too busy appreciating the palms in person! For any true palm lover, it is definitely one of the best places to see in the bay area! It has huge Parajubaeas, Rhopalostylis, Ceroxylon, Chamaerops, GEONOMA, Archontophoenix, etc... You have to see it to believe it.

The first one has a Ceroxylon parvifrons in it.

post-305-1231036142_thumb.jpg

And last, and opposite of least, the backyard with the largest Cyathea medullaris I have ever seen.

post-305-1231036229_thumb.jpg

I guess I started with a picture of me, so I'll end with one taken from the summit of Mount Tamalpais. The drive up alone has amazing views, and the summit's view goes over the entire bay area! I highly recommend the place for future tourists.

post-305-1231036383_thumb.jpg

The only problem with your wonderful pictures is that there are not more of them.

Hmm. Did you ride a bike up Mount Tam? Or take a car . . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I would need to do a lot of training to bike up Mount Tam, unfortunately my time was pressed during my entire stay in CA!! We drove up it. You hit remote countryside from suburbia in only 5 minutes by car!

I would need to do a lot of training to bike up Mount Tam, unfortunately my time was pressed during my entire stay in CA!! We drove up it. You hit remote countryside from suburbia in only 5 minutes by car!

You could probably do it!

I'd need some training to even THINK about it! :mrlooney:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.