IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Everything Palms in the Bay Area!!!

kylecawazafla

PARAJUBAEA COCOIDES!! I think these may be the largest in the state!!

post-305-1230954525_thumb.jpg

I'm always up for learning new things!

Hey Kyle,

This is so funny. I probably walked right past you today!....I took my family to the California Academy of Sciences in Golden Gate Park. :mrlooney:

The Howeas in front of the newly refurbished building look fantastic. I especially liked the fact that they left an open "porthole" in the solar panels above the palms...for future growth.

This picture was taken on the "living roof." The roof of the building is covered with native plant growth including 7 "hills" (a tribute to the seven hills of the city). It is noted that it is as if the museum is tucked underneath, creating a green view from above.

post-376-1230959150_thumb.jpg

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Glenn! I was actually at the GGP at the end of last week. I just got back to Seattle yesterday. It is definitely a beautiful place! I didn't manage to go into the exhibits since my time was limited.

What is this Rhapis? I'm guessing some variety of Rhapis excelsa.

I always get excited when I see CEROXYLON QUINDIUENSE!! They are amazing palms!

post-305-1230960270_thumb.jpg

Ceroxylon alpinum! These had crown rot but were treated with sulfur and made a full recovery!

post-305-1230960311_thumb.jpg

Calamus caryotoides! It's good to see another Rattan palm in cultivation, even if it's in a temperate climate!

post-305-1230960650_thumb.jpg

Nice! I was there last summer. The Golden Gate Park is very nice with all the flowers. Too bad for me the California Academy of Sciences building was not completed then. Oh well, this will give me an excuse to visit there sometime soon. The De Young Museum is pretty cool if you go up to the top to get a 360 degree view of the city. BTW, the jubes were pretty cool even though they were not fat. There were quite a few fatty rhopies sapida at the park where the Fine Arts building stood.

Hi, Kyle:

Many Thanks for this most interesting display. The Museum in Post #73 is certainly unusual! Best Wishes,

merrill

• Upvote 1

merrill, North Central Florida

Kyle, The Rhopalostylis are beautiful and I love those tree ferns, they look so prehistoric. Thanks for the photos.

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Great pics for sure!!

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Rhopalostylis baueri with Metrosideros excelsa aerial root reaching down. I included myself in the photo just so you could see how big these palms are!

WHOA Kyle! That is a fantastic palm!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Could this be Brahea nitida? or do I have them backwards?

KYLE GREAT PICTURES!

A real tour de force!

I think the palms in Nos. 82 and 83 are both B. brandeegii.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

WOW!

oUTSTANDING walk-by photo travelogue!

Drag out my crying towel for the Juanias, the Ceroxylons and the others that won't make it here . . . . .

Post more . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Kyle--

Great pics, especially Ceroxylons and Metrosideros excelsus. Probably the biggest one of the latter I have seen in CA.

SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.

'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...

_____

"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

Thank you for the compliments! Dave your play with words always entertains me! Thanks fastfeat, I now realize I've been mispelling Metrosideros excelsus this entire time :P I've never seen them banyan anywhere else in CA. Many of the ones lining the streets in San Francisco have many aerial roots too.

Unknown hybrid street tree in SF! Darold Petty says it could be a hybrid between the native madrone and a european madrone. I like their tropical look!

post-305-1231033956_thumb.jpg

What kind of tree ferns are these?? When I was a baby these ferns were about the same height and I used to think they were coconut palms. lol. These are once again in Golden Gate Park.

post-305-1231034305_thumb.jpg