IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Everything Palms in the Bay Area!!!

kylecawazafla

I just spent 8 days in the city by the Bay. It is a wonderful city with so much to do and to see. It's also filled with nice people and lots and lots of tourists. During my stay I got to hang out with old friends, see the Golden Gate Park, The Lakeside Park Palmetum in Oakland, CA (opposite San Francisco, but right on the bay), and also Darold Petty's AMAZING palm collection. He knows so much about palms in cloudforest climates and has an eclectic and fascinating collection. He was able to host me with only a few hours notice too, so I am very thankful for that. I was pleasantly surprised by how mild it was during the coldest time of the year! It seems like every part of the Bay Area has a distinct microclimate. The temperature could range from 63 F to 45 F within a few miles (given a 2,571 ft elevation change), and although most days started off foggy, by Sunset I was rewarded with clear skies! Well for starters, here is a picture taken by your host with ancient Phoenix Canariensis in the background in Golden Gate Park. My fingers are crossed that I don't have to resize all of them.

post-305-1230942782_thumb.jpg

I'm always up for learning new things!

Jubaea chilensis across from the San Francisoc's Conservatory of Flowers.

post-305-1230943071_thumb.jpg

I think this is an Ensete ventricosum also opposite the Conservatory of Flowers.

post-305-1230943171_thumb.jpg

Jubaea chilensis across from the San Francisoc's Conservatory of Flowers.

Kyle,

What a big fatty! That palm has to be at least 50-75 years old? More pics, please.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The next few are from a tree fern forest. It's mostly comprised of Dicksonia antarctica with a few Cycathea species. The undergrowth had some nice Gunnera insignis, but they weren't looking too good since they were entering their dormancy period. Even though all of them looked healthy, and there was a multitude of them, it didn't look like they were producing any offspring. Does anyone know why??

Unfortunately I have a bad camera so I have to take them on a high quality setting to get just an OK photo, so I must resize all of them.

post-305-1230944370_thumb.jpg

Jeff, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jubaea is over 100 years old. I'm guessing it was planted around the same time as the Conservatory which was first built in 1878-1879.

post-305-1230944524_thumb.jpg

Metrosideros excelsa. It's surprising to see a "Banyan" tree thriving and actually Banyaning (Wicomb 11) in a temperate climate!

post-305-1230944743_thumb.jpg

Ficus macrophylla. So far, all of the photos have been taken in Golden Gate Park which is right next to the 51 degree Pacific Ocean, which heavily modifies the climate. The farther east you go, the more extreme the temperatures get, and the more heat you get as well. In the East Bay, which is about 7 miles from the ocean, there are much larger Ficus macrophylla.

post-305-1230945262_thumb.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri with Metrosideros excelsa aerial root reaching down. I included myself in the photo just so you could see how big these palms are!

post-305-1230945612_thumb.jpg

Rhopalostylis sapida. These palms seem much larger in person.

post-305-1230945696_thumb.jpg

JUANIA AUSTRALIS!!!! These palms help prove San Francisco's unique climate.

post-305-1230946194_thumb.jpg

Ceroxylon vogelianum. I've seen this one before. It hasn't grown much.

post-305-1230946497_thumb.jpg

Interesting Euterpe with pink petioles! Anyone want to take a stab at it?? I think Darold Petty knows about it's origin.

post-305-1230946639_thumb.jpg