IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Butia Capitata - Crack the nut (seed)

palmen

I cracked open a butia seed, I found three seeds inside. Is it possible to germinate 3 separate individuals from them, or is it better to just plant the hole nut?

small pic.

post-1681-1230682468_thumb.jpg

01436.gif

yes you can get three seperate seedlings by cracking them like this.

The only problem I encountered doing this,was they seemed to be more suseptable(sp) to rot,and damping off!

Plus you have to be careful not to crush /damage the embryo.

Edited by gsn
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

yes you can get three seperate seedlings by cracking themn like this.

The only problem I encountered doing this,was they seemed to be more suseptable(sp) to rot,and damping off!

Thank you. Will this give me quicker germination?

01436.gif

I don't know a lot about germination after you crack them open, but if I had a whole bunch of Butia seeds to crack open I would eat some. They're actually quite good, tastes a little bit like coconut. That's what the people in Uruguay did when I spent some time down there.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

I forgot to add I didn't just crack them open. I seperated them, so I had three individual embryos.

They look kinda little Hersey Kisses when seperated! :blink:

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

I forgot to add I didn't just crack them open. I seperated them, so I had three individual embryos.

Yes thats how I interpreted your first post:) They indeed look like Hersey Kisses chocolate :P Did you get easier/faster germination by doing this? And to Xerarch, I didn't find them very tasteful :mrlooney:

01436.gif

Yes thats how I interpreted your first post:) They indeed look like Hersey Kisses chocolate :P Did you get easier/faster germination by doing this? And to Xerarch, I didn't find them very tasteful :mrlooney:

Yes, you will get much faster germination w/ this method! BUT,,,, you should coat them w/ a fungiside like Mancozeb, which is what i use. Also, do not use much water when doing this, keep the potting medium SLIGHTLY damp and use heat and bingo!!! Be sure and use a well-draining potting mix to sow these guys in and you can grow them in that same medium untill you bump them up.

Good luck!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Sorry you didn't like them :( , the ones I ate were very fresh. I don't know if that made a difference or not.

Corpus Christi, TX, near salt water, zone 9b/10a! Except when it isn't and everything gets nuked.

Yes, you will get much faster germination w/ this method! BUT,,,, you should coat them w/ a fungiside like Mancozeb, which is what i use. Also, do not use much water when doing this, keep the potting medium SLIGHTLY damp and use heat and bingo!!! Be sure and use a well-draining potting mix to sow these guys in and you can grow them in that same medium untill you bump them up.

Good luck!

Mark,

is there a clever way to crack them without crushing the embryo?

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Johnathan,

I don't have a whole lot of experience w/ cracking them open. I had allways used a hammer and tapped lightly, but you still lose some in the process. I just usually sow them and wait. But i have tried it and if you don't damage the endocarp/embryo, then you'll get results within a month! Hopefully someone will chime in and give you a better way to crack them open.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Mark,

is there a clever way to crack them without crushing the embryo?

Cheers,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

The easiest and safest way I found to crack them is with a regular size pair of pliers.

With the jaws closed there is an small opening in the center of the pliers jaws. Place the seed in that opening with the jaws of the pliers open. Then gently begin to squeeze,usually the outside of the seed will crack, and it is like a little built in safeguard, as the when the tips of the pliers jaws meet ,you can't go any further,so you don't crush the seed.

Good luck!

Scott

Titusville, FL

USDA Zone COLD

Thanks Guys,

I might give it a go on just a few.

The first time I germinated B. capitata, they came up within about 8 weeks, so I've been spoiled forever - I've got 3 other species of Butia seed at the moment, but its been months, and the waitings killing me!

Cheers,

Jonathan

South Arm, Tasmania, Australia - 42° South

Mild oceanic climate, with coastal exposure.

Summer: 12°C (53°F) average min, to 21°C (70°F) average daily max. Up to 40°C (104°F max) rarely.

Winter: 6°C (43°F) average min, to 13°C (55°F) average daily max. Down to 0°C (32°F) occasionally, some light frost.

Letting the nut dry out slightly so you can hear the individual seed rattling around will add to your success rate when cracking. This was a tip from Merrill Wilcox and has proved very helpfull.

I also use a hammer for cracking. I like to wrap the seeds in a towel while wacking them.

This seems to allow you to control the force of the blow.

Initially I use less force when cracking and increase it until the seed cracks.

You do damage some seed, but if your attempting to crack several hundred seed, this seems to be the quickest way.

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

• 1 year later...

Another refinement is to drill a hole that will almost hide the seed in a good hardwood board [hickory, locust] and strike it a good sharp blow w/ a hammer.

Best Wishes,

merrill

Edited by merrill

merrill, North Central Florida

Can you crack open a Jubaea seed like this to improve its germination ratio? Or it doesn't work with Jubaeas like that?

Can you crack open a Jubaea seed like this to improve its germination ratio? Or it doesn't work with Jubaeas like that?

You can, but it's risky. What you gain in extra sprouted seeds you can also lose when fungus attacks the emerging sinker around the exit point on the seed. When jubaea seeds are cracked, the endocarp can impact on the endosperm, also causing tiny scratches which will attract fungus spores.

If you want to go to the trouble of cracking them open, here's a list of things you can do to follow up:

Use sterilized (i.e. microwave treated) "sterile" medium such as coir, perlite, sand or vermiculite.

Use sterilized (pre-boiled) water to moisten the mix.

Check them EVERY day, and have a spray bottle handy with sterile water to "jet wash" any troublesome seeds when they sprout.

Move them around in the medium - i.e. don't let them rest in the same spot.

Segregate any that are attacked by fungus and put them in fresh, sterile medium .

I hope this helps!

• 2 years later...

I am currently trying the nut cracking method with Butia odorata. The success report to come soon! Wish me luck!

:winkie:

If you have access to a workshop vise, use it to slowly apply pressure until the nut cracks,.. there is no risk of excessive force, as with a hammer.

San Francisco, California

That's what I've done in the past Darold, and it works great. I've had good luck with quick germination of Jubaea and Parajubaea this way.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 3 weeks later...

My Butia endos are getting bigger and bigger... Isn't that kinda strange? They still look healthy, but no germination yet!