IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Naughty Bamboo and a Nasty little Rash!

AJQ

I was tidying up the garden yesterday, tyeing back some of my Bamboos with the Green gardeners cord/string as the Phyllostachys Bisettii was starting to hide one of my Arenga Engleri's.

I know that the Arenga is toxic so was careful not to get too close and worked around it. Obviously not careful enough, as this morning I am covered in itchy Rashes over my wrists forearms and calfs. ( It's still warm enough to wear shorts here) And I thought those fronds were dead!

On a positive note, I had a similar problem with my Chamaedorea Radicalis vs my Pseudosasa Japonica, which was also starting to take over and hide the Palm. Bit more of a radical decision here, was to dig up the clump and bring it forward a couple of feet to the front of the raised bed.

Certainly seems like a good decision now, as it has grown quite well, recovering from its sun burn a couple of years back and it looks better at the front of the bed.

Some of the roots from the Boo were quite large and had penetrated through the clump of the Palm, so they had to be cut off.

At least I think they were Boo Roots!  ???

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

Andy,

It must be an allergic reaction. I work around Arenga engleri often and plant lots of them in client's yards and I've never had a problem with them. The fruit, on the other hand, is rich in oxalates which are very irritating to the skin.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Hi there Jim,

I have also have had similar rash from a Caryota mitis a while ago, allthough it was a smaller palm indoors in its pot and it was nowhere near as bad.

I hear that the sap is Toxic from both of these Palms.

Regards Andy.

Bangor, Norin Iron Zone 9a Min temp normally around -3 Degrees C, rarely -6C. Only 2 x -2.0C so far, verging on 9b this year. No snow or Frost this Winter. Several just subzero's this year, lets hope it stays this way. Normally around 5C to 10C + in winter, with lots of wind & rain. Summers usually better, 20C to 25 C occasionally 25C to 28C, also quite humid being a coastal town

bamboo hair (i have no idea the correct terminology) is a really great irritant, couldve been from the bamboo????

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

Could be the Bamboo, never thought of that.

Jacarandas? 3 Carked it, 1 survived and is doing quite well.

Strangely though, it was the 3 planted in the ground that didn't make it. The one in the pot and in the coldest location survived.

I shall keep it in a pot now as long as I can before planting it out. We had a very long winter here, wasn't particularly cold though, in fact it was quite mild but there were very few days with clear blue skies and sunshine.

They were always late to start off in the late spring.

That coupled with an early Snow Storm early last November started the winter off very early.

They would not normally lose their foliage untill January or February.

Regards Andy.

Actually now I have had a wee think about it, I have tied up these Boos in the past with nothing untoward happening??. I also have transplanted them form a different site a couple years ago too and again nothing, No rashes at all back then either.

All things being equal, probably is the Arenga as the culprit.

Regards Andy.