IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Attalea dubia

buffy

My A. dubia is still chugging along. Probably still worth a try in 9a which is better than any other Attalea I know of!

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 6 months later...

can winstand heat waves in full sun??? this climate area gets neat 44 degrees of drought heat for near a couple of weeks every summer... lower temp -1 -2 for around a couple of hours 5 to 6 nights per winter... i get no frost damage on phoenix roebellini, bismarckia , some spots some years in syagrus coronata... can also grow coccothrinax crinita

This guy is a turd. It went into the winter with pinnate fronds. I protected it with blankets and radiant heat. I forgot one night and the fronds were smoked. Spear pull soon after. Death confirmed yesterday.

But I did discover something interesting I didn't know. Attalea dubia has an underground heel. I wonder how many other palms have heels that simply stay underground.

Is one of the reasons it croaked not i was protected with blankets and radiant heat and suddenly left unprotected ? How cold it was that night Buffy?

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

My A. dubia is still chugging along. Probably still worth a try in 9a which is better than any other Attalea I know of!

Very promising....what was your lowest temps since you planted?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Hmm, probably around 20-22. Im not sure if it experienced that low as the planting location is good and protected (under an oak and near the house surrounded by concrete). I threw a pillow case over it but Im not sure if that actually did anything. No damage from my recollection.

Its just started to go pinnate so you can see how slow it grows in this climate

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

• 2 years later...

Just wanted to provide an update. Ultimately, this palm, at least the seeds sold to me as Attalea dubia, are not very cold hardy. Freeze damage begins at around 28F. By the time you get to the lower 20s, it's just smoked. It's not a promising choice except in 9B and up. I've tried several Attalea, and they all seem to act about the same. It was a good long trial, but I'm willing to walk away from it. 

• Upvote 1

Longview, Texas :: Record Low: -5F, Feb. 16, 2021 :: Borderline 8A/8B :: '06-'07: 18F / '07-'08: 21F / '08-'09: 21F / '09-'10: 14F / '10-'11: 15F / '11-'12: 24F / '12-'13: 23F / '13-'14: 15F / '14-'15: 20F / '15-'16: 27F / '16-'17: 15F / '17-'18: 8F / '18-'19: 23F / '19-'20: 19F / '20-'21: -5F / '21-'22: 20F / '22-'23: 6F