IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

39F out back this morning, 40.5 up front. I was worried when I saw 46F in back at like 7:30 pm.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My low was 39.9F today. It almost seems impossible for me to see below 40F if it's overcast.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Big storm spinning offshore near Oregon\California border. Lots of wind\ heavy showers [Pebble Beach should be fun today :yay: then the All Star game

VISSAT02-15-09.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Good news is that it is expected to start warming up Wednesday with a possible offshore event next weekend. I'm cold!

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

this cold we have is the fault of people in florida ! :lol: when they have the freezes they ask to send to them the warm temperatures we do this and now they dont send to us they keep it all for them. :mrlooney:

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

42.6F as a low this morning, and it occurred @ approximately midnight under clear skies. By the time I woke up it was overcast and near 50F.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

The SF Bay area has been getting almost continuous rain for the past 16 hours, and it looks like more of the same for the next two days. The front seems to have stalled, or slowed down and we are getting dumped on. The moisture is being funneled through the Bay area and 5 feet of new snow for the Sierra. Temps here have ranged from 44F to 55F. The winds forcast never really arrived at my location, only a few brief puffs.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Just as Dick says, we're getting dumped on. Time to get out the arc! I haven't seen this kind of continuous rain in a looooong time. It's good news for water deficits but I'd hate to be in any of the burn areas in the hills right now.

Temps have been in the mid 50's by day and mid 40's at night. More rain on the way too!

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

My high today was 57F. Not used to highs that low. Looking forward to more rain.

Terry,

It looks like you are about to get your wish, as doppler indicates a big glob of moisture moving into S. Calif. this morning. Another "wave" of clouds is moving through N. Calif. this morning also. I've never understood if these bands of clouds should be called fronts or waves, or pulses. It's 45.9F in Walnut Creek at 6:40 AM. It looks like the entire state of Calif. is getting rain.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Low of 47F this morning and 50F right now. The wind is starting to howl but the NWS has reduced the amount of rain expected today down to to .5"-1.0" from 0.75"-1.5".

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

My canyon is getting pounded. Rocks coming down, lots of wind-it's a great storm!

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Wind and clouds, waiting for the promised rain... Was supposed to be 1 - 3", I would get the 1" here. Now I wonder if I'll get any measurable wet.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

From the NWS this morning.

THE SOUTHERN END OF A POTENT PACIFIC STORM WILL BE WEAKENING AS IT

MOVES ACROSS SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA TODAY. THIS IS INDICATED BY THE

DEAMPLIFICATION (OR FILLING) OF THE UPPER TROUGH TODAY AND MORE

DIRECTLY IN THE DECREASING QPF FROM THE GFS AND THE NAM FOR THIS

AFTERNOON VERSUS THIS MORNING

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Lot's of rain her in Temecula. Raining steady since just before 7AM. 1/3" so far. My weeds are very happy.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Ok, it's pouring right now... :)

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

It began raining around 4:30AM w/ occasional moderately strong showers. Over an inch so far but just light rain the last few hours. Could see some thunderstorms\ hail this afternoon. Rainfall this month is now over 5 inches :P over 13 inches since start of rain year [jul-jun].

It will be nice to warm up later this week.

Lo: 48F\ 8.8C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

There is water falling from the sky....how you say? Rain?

I wonder how much snow pack we need to call this whole drought off? Come on light bulb, come on light bulb!!!! :o

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

No rain since late this morning but scattered showers are possible into Tuesday. Line of thunderstorms across Pomona into Rancho Los Serranos currently. This could end up being less of a heavy rain event for SoCal but any rain is welcome. More snow in the Sierra esp south range. Local mountains are in perfect ski conditions :mrlooney:

Minimums will be cool for a few more nights.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Low of 41.5 this morning. Still very wet out, although the rain has stopped.

Storm total = .7 inches at my house, .9 inches at the office.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I had .9 inch from the storm followed by a semi-sunny afternoon. Raining again now downtown.

Kim Cyr

I believe I picked up more rain today than I did yesterday,...or close.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

I was surprised by the amount of rain [over 0.50] overnight. Another storm is forming out over the Pacific for late this weekend but favoring Northern California per model runs. Wet soil & cold temps tonight :unsure:

NWS_LA 02-17-09

MAIN CONCERN FOR TONIGHT IS THE CLEARING TAKING PLACE CURRENTLY. THERE COULD BE A POSSIBILITY OF GROUND FOG OR FROST IN SOME LOCATIONS LATER TONIGHT. IF THINGS CLEAR OUT A BIT MORE RAPIDLY TONIGHT AND WITH NAM-WRF AND GFS MOS VALUES INDICATING DEWPOINTS IN MOST LOCATION DROPPING INTO THE MID TO UPPER THIRTIES TONIGHT...PATCHY FROST OR GROUND FOG COULD DEVELOP IN SOME OF THE LOCATIONS. POTENTIAL UPDATES WILL FOR THIS ISSUE WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR NOW.

It is still in the low 50's at 9:30PM so it may not drop too low tonight. Nice warm-up coming.

Here's another photo of snow on the San Gabriel mts.

losangeles_skyline5.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

Those are beautiful pictures of the snow shrouded mountains with downtown LA in the foreground. It's kind of frightening they discovered a fault a few years ago right through the middle of downtown. I don't want to think about it.

After 3 or 4 days of constant rain in N. Calif. the low has either petered out or moved on. It's 45F this morning, overcast and light fog. The ground in N. Calif. is saturated and the hills are green, a beautiful time of the year. We have a few days to dry out, before more rain forcast for next weekend.

I see there is a huge low out in the Pacific. Is that the next one to effect Calif. or is it to far out, and then the one further north is the one that will give us rain next weekend?

Dick

Richard Douglas

Happ,

Those are beautiful pictures of the snow shrouded mountains with downtown LA in the foreground. It's kind of frightening they discovered a fault a few years ago right through the middle of downtown. I don't want to think about it.

After 3 or 4 days of constant rain in N. Calif. the low has either petered out or moved on. It's 45F this morning, overcast and light fog. The ground in N. Calif. is saturated and the hills are green, a beautiful time of the year. We have a few days to dry out, before more rain forcast for next weekend.

I see there is a huge low out in the Pacific. Is that the next one to effect Calif. or is it to far out, and then the one further north is the one that will give us rain next weekend?

Dick

I agree with you, Dick that California is beautiful in winter B) the hills are lush green in growth. The next storm may be too far north to effect SoCal but the Bay Area should get more rain. I know it has been soggy & cold for nearly 2 weeks but rain is so important right now to fill reservoirs\ replenish snowpack.

Basically 40's widespread this morning [some 30's usual low basins].

Lo: 47.5F\ 8.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

41.5 for me. It's cold but the humidity was up so I didn't drop into the 30's.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I was surprised by the amount of rain [over 0.50] overnight. Another storm is forming out over the Pacific for late this weekend but favoring Northern California per model runs. Wet soil & cold temps tonight :unsure:

NWS_LA 02-17-09

MAIN CONCERN FOR TONIGHT IS THE CLEARING TAKING PLACE CURRENTLY. THERE COULD BE A POSSIBILITY OF GROUND FOG OR FROST IN SOME LOCATIONS LATER TONIGHT. IF THINGS CLEAR OUT A BIT MORE RAPIDLY TONIGHT AND WITH NAM-WRF AND GFS MOS VALUES INDICATING DEWPOINTS IN MOST LOCATION DROPPING INTO THE MID TO UPPER THIRTIES TONIGHT...PATCHY FROST OR GROUND FOG COULD DEVELOP IN SOME OF THE LOCATIONS. POTENTIAL UPDATES WILL FOR THIS ISSUE WILL BE CONSIDERED FOR NOW.

It is still in the low 50's at 9:30PM so it may not drop too low tonight. Nice warm-up coming.

Here's another photo of snow on the San Gabriel mts.

losangeles_skyline5.jpg

Yikes! No frost here.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

44F this morning. Beautiful clear skies and sunny days for a while. aaaaahhhhhhhh

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

37F with light frost on the car windshield. This is the first time I've left the manilla and the 2 vestiarias outside on a frost morning. Time for them to "man up!"

Nice warm-up overnight in windy areas:

NWS_LA 02-19-09

MALIBU : 56F\ 13.3C

SANTA MONICA PIER : 50F\ 10C

UCLA : 53F\ 11.6C

NORTHRIDGE : 54F\ 12.2C

SIMI VALLEY : 53F

CORONA : 53F

Lo: 49F\ 9.4C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Alright, I've done enough lurking on this post. I think I can make a solid claim to having the coldest non-alpine micro-climate in San Diego county. Wednesday morning I had 37F, this morning was 36F. And those temps are in a covered gazebo about half way up my hill. At the bottom of my hill there was a 1/4" thick layer of ice on the water in a kiddie pool, and in the front yard, there were patches of frost on the grass (and of course the rootops and car windows had frost). And I am only about 2 miles from the ocean.

Last night I was driving home and on the South side of San Clemente canyon (Clairemont mesa), it was 55F, at the bottom of the canyon (52Freeway at regents) 43F, and at the north side of the canyon (Governor drive) 46F. WHY IS THE MESA ON THE NORTH SIDE OF SAN CLEMENTE CANYON 9 DEGREES COLDER THAN THE SOUTH SIDE!!!

I'm starting to think that the cold here is more due to a lack of air movement than to cold air pooling etc... probably due to the orientation with respect to Mount Soledad. The warm up in the morning is unbelievable. There was ice on my car at 7:30AM. By 8:30AM, it was about 60F, comfortable short sleeves weather. It's like the cold air just blows out instantly.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Something blows that's for sure. Wierd stuff man.

I've included a google earth image of your area. I tried to zoom out far enough so as not to give the exact location of your house away. But hey, what are they gonna come steal, some Trachycarpus fortunei! Hayoooooo! You just got snarked. OK, seriously, if anyone can figure out why Matt's place is so cold I'd really be intersted. We've been postulating for months now and it just dosen't make sense. He's so close to the ocean. You can see the canyon that runs east/west just south of his place; that's San Clemente Canyon that he mentioned above. The major canyon that's to the west of his house that runs north/south is Rose Canyon. And to the west of that is Mt. Soledad sitting right on the coast.

post-126-1235086483_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matt

I have life-long friends who live off the 52 highway east of the 15 freeway in Tierrasanta [on a mesa above the Admiral Baker golf course]. They grow blood oranges\ avocados\ cherimoyas. Frost collects in the lowland golf course but rarely just 200' above. My nephew lives in Rancho Peñasquitos northwest & below Black Mt. in a wide canyon and experiences frost occasionally. Living so close to the ocean would seem to greatly modify temps but San Juan Canyon north of San Clemente regularly records the coldest minimums for coastal Orange county. Cold air spills down the deep canyon & even Laguna Beach is often 10 degrees colder than nearby Newport Beach. Redondo\ Hermosa Beach are somewhat hilly w/ pockets of cold air basins\ ravines.

Thanks for the map, Matty

Looks like Temecula was the warm spot today at 78F\ 25.5C. Could see some 80's tomorrow B)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I stayed at home today to get the addition insulaetd and was outside working early. Although I was keeping warm from the work, I was shocked to look over at my "out front" temp and see 38.8 at 7:15 AM! ! It had hit 36F in back!!

Allright, Petrocelli!! Its a grow off! May the luckiest guy win! :P

38F by my reading. Getting tired of reporting temps in the 30s. It will warm up fast though.

It was warm today so I didn't even check. Carpoxylon is flowering, Satakentia is full of fruit, Mangosteens are ripening up.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Minimums shouldn't be much of a concern for a while [50's LA basin this AM]. The Bay Area is bracing for heavy rainfall but subtropical rather than polar for a change :mrlooney: pulling up warmer air but little rain for SoCal. NWS_SF referring to storm track as an "ATMOSPHERIC RIVER" - good luck NorCal [could be mud slides in Big Sur\ Santa Cruz areas.

Lo: 53F\ 11.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

Nice to hear we will be getting something tropical for a change. It's a beautiful day here.......upper 60's, will proably hit 70F this afternoon. The ground is still wet from the rains we had earlier in the week. Roses are popping, grass is green and growing and the first signs of spring here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I think I was 38.5 last night (definitely somewhere in the 38 range, but just forgot the decimal place). Warmer than Bill's back yard!

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

It was warm today so I didn't even check. Carpoxylon is flowering, Satakentia is full of fruit, Mangosteens are ripening up.

Nice. How's that 20ft Lipstick palm doing? Is it still in too much shade?

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter