IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

Tomorrow morning could be as cold or even colder & 40's are predicted all week. :unsure:

San Diego office data not in yet but the minimums in LA were OK except in usual low areas.

AVALON HARBOR : 45

GETTY CENTER : 42

LAX : 44

DOWNTOWN/USC : 45

MALIBU : 44

SANTA MONICA PIER : 44

UCLA : 41

BURBANK : 39

SAN GABRIEL : 39

WOODLAND HILLS : 31

CAMARILLO : 35

POINT MUGU : 36

SANTA BARBARA CITY : 39

I recorded 43F\ 6.1C in upper garden & 41F\ 5C on slope.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

42 @ Getty Ctr. is pretty much as cold as they get, right Happ?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

More frost tonight. Though I believe another freezing temp reading will happen in Temecula again. Was so cold this morning in my house that I thought I saw my own breath.

FROST ADVISORY

SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WEATHER AUTHORITY

FEBRUARY 10, 2009 12:00pm Pacific Time

THE INLAND EMPIRE ... SAN DIEGO VALLEYS AND NORTHERN COASTAL ... NORTHERN LOS ANGELES COUNTY VALLEYS ... BAKERSFIELD VALLEY ...

THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA WEATHER AUTHORITY HAS ISSUED A FROST ADVISORY EFFECTIVE TONIGHT TILL 9AM WEDNESDAY MORNING ...

CLEAR SKIES AND AMPLE SURFACE LEVEL MOISTURE WILL LEAD TO FROST IN THESE REGIONS ...

SCWXA - Socalweather.Org

A Frost Advisory is issued When dynamics produce frost in the area. Isolated frost is not the issue on hand.

Edited by KMartin

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

Darn it. I'm convinced, I should not push the envelope. Thanks for the heads up Kevin.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

43 last night was my low at the bottom. Did not check, but guessing 45 at the top of the garden.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

I bottomed out at 32.2 F this morning under clear skys. You guys in S. Calif. in the colder areas will get what I got this morning. At 3 PM clouds are moving in here and rain expected tonight. Temp is only 52 F., but a warmer night expected.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Yup, the NWS is now forecasting 37 at my house (they have a relatively new interactive feature which is somewhat cool). If that pans out, THAt will now be my low for the winter....so far. I knew we were going to pay for all those days of 80+F temps. <_<

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

So I decided to take my sensor and hang it from a stake suspended 4ft from the ground... out in the wide-open coldest spot in my yard. No Canopy at all, and the house 25 ft away. It's reading 37.9F at 9:51pm. I'm on track to hit 30-31F as I track with weatherunderground (forecast 38F at 10pm).

Here's hoping for a slight breeze...

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Terry,

I'm sure Jack or Happ can correct me if I'm a bit off, but putting a thermometer out in the open is not a particularly useful or valid way to get a temp reading. The temperature you'll read will have more to do with the conductive properties of your sensor (along with humidity and airflow) than the actual air temp. You'll get a scary low reading, but it doesn't mean that your air temp was anywhere near that number.

I think that overhead protection is the most critical factor to actually getting an "air temperature" measurement.

It's going to be cold tonight. I'm already at 40F at 10:30PM. Just hoping I don't dip below 32.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

I always have it out in the open at night because at night there is no sun so the air in the "open" is the "real feel" rather than an overhang which can act to be warmer than it is. During the day it is an overhang deal because the full sunlight can make it hotter than it is.

--------------------

You sold me Matt. I don't want to see that number tomorrow morning. The sensor is back to it's normal place, 12 ft from the house on a deck post with just the slightest canopy from the deck. It went from 36.2F back up to 38.7F in a few minutes.

I have a second sensor out in my hybrid shadehouse/greenhouse where it is 40.8F. The thing has no door and 2 windows for airflow.

Potted palms are all in the garage.

42 @ Getty Ctr. is pretty much as cold as they get, right Happ?

Can't find current reading for Getty Center but nearby UCLA is already 45F at 11:30PM. Beverly Hills recorded 40F this morning & San Rafael Hills observed 38F. Wind is quite light & skies are completely clear. Dew point temps are in the 30's. NWS-LA has not issued frost advisories but east winds under 5 MPH may not allow much mixing.

47.3F\ 8.4C currently at my place. I think it was 49F at this time last night; I could experience a minimum below 40F for the first time this winter.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

We covered LA with a frost advisory early today. The winds won't stop it.

--------------------

Breezy here now. So far a little more than 1 degree F warmer than yesterday. 37F out front.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dropped to 35F, which is a relief when it was 39F at 11pm last night.

The humidity is over 70% right now. Does moisture in the air create a "cushion"? Our extreme lows always seem to be accompanied by very low humidity.

Yup, the NWS is now forecasting 37 at my house (they have a relatively new interactive feature which is somewhat cool). If that pans out, THAt will now be my low for the winter....so far. I knew we were going to pay for all those days of 80+F temps. <_<

Hmm....only dropped to 43 for whatever reason. That's good. :)

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

42 here in Encinitas, two degree warmer than my coldest temp this winter.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I got the same as yesterday:

38.5F out in the open

41.5F under canopy

About sensor placement:

I noticed that some sensors seem to get an accurate reading when left out in the open and some obviously don't. My home base receiver, which has a sensor in it also, can be set out in the open and read accurately (in my estimation). It has a relatively large plastic body and the sensor is probably more protected inside than the smaller remote sensors where the sensor is probably very close to the plastic cover. My new rain gauge/temp sensor has a large plastic body around it which forms the rain catch and that seems to get a fairly accurate reading when left set out in the open. I'm using that as my "out in the open" sensor since it reads the coldest. My other "out in the open" sensor is a traditional small remote sensor and I had to put a tupperware container hat over the top of it or it would read crazy low. The hat seemed to allow the sensor to sync up with a traditional thermometer that I could hold in my hand and double check I wasn't reading too low. Try laying your sensor face up on an outside table on a clear dry night: It'll be 40 outside and your sensor will read 30. You've just gotta play with it and double check it against other thermometers to get a feel for what your system wants to do.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Basically a repeat of yesterday morning. It dropped into the 40's early last night but the temperature decline slowed. Nothing worse than this morning into next week but minimums will be quite chilly, none-the-less. Potential big storm this weekend ;)

AVALON HARBOR: 44

GETTY CENTER: 43

LAX: 42

DOWNTOWN/USC: 41

LONG BEACH ARPT: 39

MALIBU: 43

SANTA MONICA PIER: 44

UCLA: 42

BURBANK: 35

SAN GABRIEL: 37

WOODLAND HILLS: 30

POINT MUGU: 37

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 41

SAN DIEGO: 45

MIRAMAR: 37

OCEANSIDE ARPT: 35

CARLSBAD: 40

IRVINE ARPT: 40

FULLERTON ARPT: 39

ONTARIO: 36

RIVERSIDE ARPT: 34

PALM SPRINGS: 39

My lo: 43F\ 6.1C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Basically a repeat of yesterday morning. It dropped into the 40's early last night but the temperature decline slowed. Nothing worse than this morning into next week but minimums will be quite chilly, none-the-less. Potential big storm this weekend ;)

AVALON HARBOR: 44

GETTY CENTER: 43

LAX: 42

DOWNTOWN/USC: 41

LONG BEACH ARPT: 39

MALIBU: 43

SANTA MONICA PIER: 44

UCLA: 42

BURBANK: 35

SAN GABRIEL: 37

WOODLAND HILLS: 30

POINT MUGU: 37

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 41

SAN DIEGO: 45

MIRAMAR: 37

OCEANSIDE ARPT: 35

CARLSBAD: 40

IRVINE ARPT: 40

FULLERTON ARPT: 39

ONTARIO: 36

RIVERSIDE ARPT: 34

PALM SPRINGS: 39

My lo: 43F\ 6.1C

I was reading on the NWS San Diego site today that the storms have been revised to be a little warmer than originally forecasted with higher snow elevations.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Humid night makes for cold but consistant temps,

47 out in the open

48 under canopy

The ground is cold and soaked and more is on the way

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Did it rain overnight in San Diego? I only recorded 0.02. Possibility for some massive amounts of rainfall this weekend :mrlooney: especially in Northern Cal\ Sierra snowpack. Today is the 8th day of below normal temps.

40's overall this morning [low 50's San Diego bay & some 30's inland, esp Ventura county].

Lo: 46F\ 7.7C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Happ,

We got a little precipitation last night (barely measurable). The best part was being at least 10 degrees warmer than the night before. I've heard from various people in the past that Feb. 15 is a historic cutoff date for frosts in much of SoCal. Is that accurate?

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

It's mostly cloudy and 50 F in Walnut Creek today. I don't know if the clouds are from the last low that passed over us or the big one coming. We didn't recieve much rain from the last low. The next front is described as significant with heavy rain and snow down to 2000 to 3000 ft, and high winds and surf. Let it come! In N. Calif. We have had nothing but drizzle and light rain in the latest series of lows. Effects of the new low are to begin tonight and tomorrow morning and the clouds are already coming from a southerly direction. Let 'er rip!!! The ground is still dry in some places under some of my fan palms.

Dick

Richard Douglas

This broad trough we have been in for the last 40 years in starting to get on my nerves. Yes, the rain is great, but the cold temps are not. I don't think it broke 60 today. When are we going to get some ridging in place? Not the transient stuff.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Sometimes forecasters drop the gun too quick to beat others. This next predicted storm Sun-Mon is one of those examples. I did not jump the gun on the Southern Califoria Weather Authority website due to the fact the flow was ODD.

THe storm will flop and totals will be lower with Sun-Mon storm and the third will not come in like others thought.

Man what crazy stuff eh?

--------------------

Bret - According to weather.com it once hit 29F on March 2 in my zip code.

I'm just glad lows forecast for the next 15-days never drop below 39F.

Thanks Terry,

I've got a couple in-ground plants that need a break...

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

40.5 out in the open

41.5 under canopy

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

53F and 51F on the other right now AND sun is peeking out....

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Interesting that you were so much warmer than me John. It was crisp and clear at my place but I could see a cloud/fog bank sitting along the coast. Must have kept you insulated.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Matty - Your numbers are weird. I was 43-44F this morning. Cloudy at my place though.

Like you said Terry, you had clouds and I didn't. I just realized that John was giving his current temps at the time he was posting which was 10:30am. That makes more sense.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Interesting that you were so much warmer than me John. It was crisp and clear at my place but I could see a cloud/fog bank sitting along the coast. Must have kept you insulated.

Maybe. I don't really know why. :hmm:

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Elevation is usually your enemy when it's cloudy or rainy. I'm always about 2C (4F) colder than downtown LA in those situations...

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

I'm at about 85M. I don't know what that is in ft.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Mt. Diablo, which is about 12 miles east of me is covered with snow from the fronts that passed through the SF Bay Area on Thur. and Friday nights. The night time low temps have been around 42F and today the high was 55F. Clouds are already moving in from the South from the next big low that promises to hang around for a couple of days in the bay area. The one moving in is supposed to be a biggie with lots of moisture and high winds. Off and on rain and showers are forcast for the next week. I hear the mountains are getting lots of snow.

Dick

Richard Douglas

No frost advisories have been issued but it will definitely be another cold night due to mostly clear skies\ low wind. Next storm is a bit more latitudinal so minimums should rise by Monday w/ heavy showers & then warmer more seasonable temperatures into late week, finally :)

AVALON HARBOR: 54/ 45

GETTY CENTER: 55/ 39

LAX: 54/ 41

DOWNTOWN/USC: 58/ 41

SANTA MONICA PIER: 59/ 42

PASADENA: 57/ 38

WOODLAND HILLS: 56/ 30

SIMI VALLEY: 57/ 35

SANTA BARBARA CITY: 58/ 37

FULLERTON AIRPORT: 59/ 39

SANTA ANA: 62/ 40

HUNTINGTON BEACH: 61/ 41

LAKE FOREST: 60/ 39

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT: 57/ 38

SOLANA BEACH: 58/ 45

SAN DIEGO: 59/ 48

RIALTO: 60/ 38

RIVERSIDE UCR: 60/ 38

TEMECULA: 60/ 39

WILD ANIMAL PARK: 64/ 40

EL CAJON: 68/ 41

INDIO: 68/ 49

My location: 41.7F\ 5.3C

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I am learning a bit about the incredible micro-climates in California through the NWS sites supplied by Happ.Checking them the next morning,I am suprised the number of stations that report M(missing) the next morning. As an example, this morning Getty Center,which reported 55/39,reported 55/M.Wild Animal Park,which reported 64/40,was 64/M this morning.Indio was reported at 68/49 reported 68/M.Nearby Thermal reported 65/38.What is with this M stuff?

What you look for is what is looking

I am learning a bit about the incredible micro-climates in California through the NWS sites supplied by Happ.Checking them the next morning,I am suprised the number of stations that report M(missing) the next morning. As an example, this morning Getty Center,which reported 55/39,reported 55/M.Wild Animal Park,which reported 64/40,was 64/M this morning.Indio was reported at 68/49 reported 68/M.Nearby Thermal reported 65/38.What is with this M stuff?

My guess, right or wrong, is that not all stations are automated to report to the NWS. Maybe somebody has to actually look at the thermometer and call it in. Who knows....

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter