IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

It rained all night in the San Francisco bay area with a low of about 48 F. It seems to be clearing now and the temp has dropped to 46F. There might be some chilly air behind this front, but rain is still forcast, so that could keep the temps. higher. So far the lows have been higher than forcast, but we have had cloud cover most of the week.

Dick

Richard Douglas

45F here a/o 6:20 pm

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

37.2F low temp at 6:30am. Dreading the next few days.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

33F here at 7:00 am.....will probably go to 30 or so before the sun makes a difference

John Case

Brentwood CA

At 2AM it was still 43F with a light breeze. Sometime after that, the temperature began to plummet and by 7AM it was 35F, my low.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

As I suspected, it was colder than forcast for Walnut Creek. Clear skys and a low of 31F here this morning with a white frost. There was a thin skim of ice on a rain puddle. Even colder forcast for tonight. Apparently the jet stream has moved further north, and a warming trend here next week, if you can call a high of 60 F warm.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Clear 33.1F and just the slightest hint of frost here and there. Not too bad. Like Terry says, next few look a bit rough.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

This morning's low was 48.6, very mild.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Dick,

Your posts are sounding more and more morose....

So far we haven't been in the 20s and only 1 more month of risk......31 short days...

Let's find a way to find a happy place!

John Case

Brentwood CA

Hi John,

I guess morose is the right word.........and short days. I hate 'em. On the positive side we had colder weather last year before we did this year. I think it actually hit 55 F here today and felt warm if in a sheltered area with sun. Clouds may move in tonight....I'm hoping.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Hi John,

I guess morose is the right word.........and short days. I hate 'em. On the positive side we had colder weather last year before we did this year. I think it actually hit 55 F here today and felt warm if in a sheltered area with sun. Clouds may move in tonight....I'm hoping.

Dick

I believe Bay Area palm growers will be OK as clouds move in overnight. But the San Joaquin valley & all coastal & valleys areas in SoCal are under a frost advisory except the LA basin. It has been windy all day but the wind could lower before shifting out of the NE later tonight with several hours of calm winds in LA region.

Buena suerte palmera cultivadors de California :wacko:

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Happ,

You are right again. I see it's 31F in Riverside and Temecula this morning, the same as I had yesterday morning. A few high clouds did move in during the night and my low this morning is 35 with a very light frost. This is very cold air hanging around. Without the clouds I would have been much colder.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Happ,

You are right again. I see it's 31F in Riverside and Temecula this morning, the same as I had yesterday morning. A few high clouds did move in during the night and my low this morning is 35 with a very light frost. This is very cold air hanging around. Without the clouds I would have been much colder.

Dick

6AM & 7AM readings in the Bay Area were above freezing except in isolated locations & even the Central Valley was only near to slightly below freezing for the most part this morning. High clouds helped & the air is moderating as well. Good going, Dick :D

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

5 am. 12/27 40 degrees with light frost on cab of truck and no visible frost on plants! No big deal here but I brought the usual suspects (Mad Fox, Basselinia Pancheri, etc.) into the kitchen as a precaution :) .

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Sometime last night, my place hit 32.0 F, which was a LOT warmer than I feared.

We had NO WIND (except for yakky-yak and post-beer, well, you know . . . :lol:) last night, and the temps fell like a stone right after sunset, but not as low as the infamous MKL Eve of 2007.

No damage to anything, not even frost on the grass.

Hooray Hooray!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Boy, you guys get some cold over there. Dave, 32F was a lot warmer than you feared!!!!!!!!!! Aaaargh. I wouldn't sleep if I knew we were going to hit 32F at my place. I'd put a gas heater in my garden, light a fire, something. I take my hat off to all you guys who go through this type of cold and still grow great tropicals.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Boy, you guys get some cold over there. Dave, 32F was a lot warmer than you feared!!!!!!!!!! Aaaargh. I wouldn't sleep if I knew we were going to hit 32F at my place. I'd put a gas heater in my garden, light a fire, something. I take my hat off to all you guys who go through this type of cold and still grow great tropicals.

Best regards

Tyrone

30- 32 f is the average winter low in my garden and the reason i grow gbop instead of bananas !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Just glad I only saw 33-34F last night.

Tassie_Troy - Bananas melt at 31F, gbops melt at 26F... but they come back.

It took 4 mornings with a low of 31F to melt my bananas. Now the fronds are hanging at half mast. I see no other damage except some of the cannas are browning in exposed areas. The ones with some canopy look fine. What the heck is a gbop??

I was surprised to see at 3 AM that my temp. is 47 F, but it's cloudy. I expect it will drop a couple more degrees. Mostly the low 40's forcast for minimums here for the next week, and the highs in the 50's. This is that critical period when the sun remains below the horizon in the Artic.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Yeah, what's a gbop???????????

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I am guessing GBOP = Giant Bird of Paradise. (Strelitzia nicolai)...

Algarve, Portugal

Zone 10.

Mediterranean Climate moderated by the Atlantic Ocean

I am guessing GBOP = Giant Bird of Paradise. (Strelitzia nicolai)...

Excellent interpretation of lazy palm board slang, siafu! :)

For the weather record, this morning's low was 36.1F, a tad lower than yesterday's 36.7F! I had thought it would be a tad warmer . :bummed:

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Interesting Kim. My cold spot hit 36F last night, 37.2F out front which meant both were warmer than my previous night by a little more than 1 degree F.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Winter low 39.4F......so far.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

The cold spell is over :yay: and by & large it wasn't too bad.

My main concern was the repeated days in the 50's-barely 60F\ 16c. The last time it was 70F+ was 12/12/08 [though 69F\ 21c on 12/21/08]. There will be a nice return to more seasonable temps & some rather warm weather looks likely for early Jan. Rain doesn't, I'm sorry to say. California desperately needs more rain\ mt snow.

Lo: 45F\ 7C

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

My low in the coldest part of my yard ended up being a "balmy'' 45 degrees last night. The rest of the week looks like mid 40s for lows and upper 50's to around 60F for daytime highs. Bananas are still green but a little wind beaten.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Yesterday (Sunday) was the nicest day here in weeks. It got up to 63 and what did I do? I stayed inside and watched two foot ball games. It's 41F this morning.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Back above 40 again, at 42F. The next 10 days looks nice according to weather.com.

Out in the open:

Sat 12-27 = 38.7F

Sun 12-28 = 40.1F

Mon 12-29 = 49.9F

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

So far the lowest was around 31 degrees here and it stayed around the freezing point for quite a few hours (i.e. the last couple of days). But my yard doesn't show that much obvious damage. I mean, I live in Temecula, so there is ALWAYS winter damage. But it so far has actually probably been less noticeable than most years. It is only now that my banana and cannas actually are getting knocked down. In the past this has often happened in November. Most palms have continued to grow at a decent rate way later into the year than normal. So I think even with everyone freaking out about cold, so far this year has not been at all brutal (crossing fingers it stays that way). Though I'm slightly concerned with the heavy rains that there could be some rot potential.

Though I should mention in certain more exposed areas of the yard, it probably hit 28 or so, but most of my yard has a decent canopy (thank you queen palms).

There were casualties in usual upper valleys [Ojai recorded several nights below freezing & Central Valley was cold in spaces].

It was a windy night that kept minimum above 50F\ 10c for the first time since 12/22 & before that on 12/13. But prolonged periods of 40's are not uncommon in SoCal & why we all suffer some damage each winter. Enjoy the next few days. San Rafael Hills\ Whitier Hill\ Claremont are already above 70F\ 21.1c at 10AM B)

Lo: 52F\ 11.1C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It looks like a minor repreive in our area with highs in the low 60s and lows in the low 40s......

Dick, take a deep breath and enjoy.....we still need more rain/snow, though...

John Case

Brentwood CA

Really nice sunny day & above normal temps for the first time in quite a while. Even some 80's [Rialto: 80F\ 26.6c & Riverside: 81F\ 27.2c] but mostly 70's. Nice breeze this evening should guarantee comfortable minimums. Just what weary palm aficionados need for a few days.

A little cooler toward the end of the week before warming-up again next week. No complaints ;)

Hi: 76F\ 24.4C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

It hit 65F today after a morning low of 43F. Looks like fairly mild weather is going to hang around for at least a couple of weeks.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I saw a quick prediction of a cold Sunday or Monday night coming again. :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

A clear windless night and my low was 47F. Not terrible at all for this time of year. A warm afternoon is expected.

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

I saw a quick prediction of a cold Sunday or Monday night coming again. :(

It depends on which weather source you are looking at. Weather.com has a Sunday and Monday nights in the 30s, then returning back to normal 40s with possible rain next week. Accuweather and weatherunderground show it as normal through the weekend.

Starting January 5th, accuweather has Oceanside in the 30s for 9 days in a row. How they can go for an extended worst case scenario that far out is beyond me. It's the same kind of dire forecast they pushed going into the last cold spell that turned out fairly mild.

No worries this morning & today turned out to be perfect [though it will cool down slowly into the weekend].

Hi & Lo today for some of the warmer cities:

Los Angeles: 76\ 51

West LA: 77\ 58

San Gabriel: 77/ 47

Santa Paula: 77\ 43

Santa Ana: 76\ 46

El Toro: 75\ 54

Riverside: 79\ 45

Temecula: 78/ 36

El Cariso: 74\ 55

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Another mild winter day but the immediate coastline experienced low fog most of the day with chilly day temps. Eventually that onshore push will move inland with cooling temps into the weekend. Slight chance of showers but won't bet on it. Minimums should stay well-above freezing everywhere in SoCal. Next week looks really nice B)

Max\ Min today:

West LA : 69/ 54

Downtown : 68/ 46

Santa Monica : 57/ 43

Chatsworth : 75/ 42

Pasadena : 73/ 48

Simi Valley : 71/ 44

Fullerton : 68/ 44

Oceanside : 62/ 33

Encinitas : 63/ 40

Montgomery Field : 70/ 44

Cabrillo Mnmt : 54/ 38

Ontario : 70/ 46

Riverside : 78/ 41

Temecula : 75/ 37

Escondido : 72/ 48

El Cajon : 71/ 39

Indio : 77/ 43

Jill, what is it about Pt Loma that attracts cold air?

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23