IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians - report your winter lows here

MattyB

I thought I'd start a temp thread again like we did last year. It seemed to work pretty good for comparing microclimates and keeping tabs on each other's garden woes.

Friday, December 19th, 2008

This was right about my coldest night yet at my new place. 40.5F. even though a light breeze was blowing...brrrrrrrrrrr. That surprised me that I could get that cold even though there was wind. But there was no frost even at the bottom of the hill or on rooftops. I think the humidity was too high to let any more radiational cooling happen. My parents place in lemon Grove was 39F. How about you guys. Tonights gonna be a cold one because I think it's getting drier.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I was 38F at my new place. Not great, but could be worse.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Up here in the Bay Area my low Wednesday night was 33F. The coldest in two years. Last night was 45F with rain.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

My starting point for recording temps was yesterday Dec 18, so the coldest I've recorded so far is 42.8F at 6:17 this morning in a sheltered spot under a balcony and trees. Typical postage stamp lot, so I would imagine it could be a little cooler in the exposed areas, but I wouldn't think too much variance.

Carl

Vista, CA

8.2 C - 46.8 F in south tijuana. not california but not far.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

43F\ 6.1c but yesterday morning was 42F. Yesterday's minimum also tied Jan 24th as the coldest temp of the year.

The current pattern of slowly moderating temps is good news with more rain next week. But it should stay cooler than normal for another week & then warm up.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Dec 17th and 18th, a low of 31. Today (19th), a low of 48 but it was raining. Looks good for the next week but with periods of rain. I keep reminding myself winter is not quite here yet.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Before this morning, my low this season was 38F. This morning I hit 36.9F. Tonight is supposed to be about the same.

Mixed forecasts for the the next 10 days. Weather.com has it mild, Accuweather has it bad... lows around 33F for me a couple days.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Dec 17th and 18th, a low of 31. Today (19th), a low of 48 but it was raining. Looks good for the next week but with periods of rain. I keep reminding myself winter is not quite here yet.

Dick

Dick,

Even though it's not officially winter yet, statistically at least for my area, the coldest period is from mid December through the third week of January. After that, chances for freezing weather are decreasing. I'm always pretty happy when February 1st arrives. The worst is over by then and the sun is noticeably higher in the sky.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

A plant note to add:

Dypsis pembana at my parents' place. 39F, showed cold spotting on exposed leaves. Their temp sensor is under their patio so 39F is conserative I think. Here's a pic.

post-126-1229727548_thumb.jpg

post-126-1229727576_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

39 when I went to at 1.45am,plenty of cloud cover and a nice breeze. Checked when I got home low was 38 in my lowest part. Seemed warmer though. Like Matty said no clouds might be colder tonite. It has warmed up pretty fast so I don't see anything to worry about. Terry I feel for you with those temps you might get. Based on pictures though your marginals seem really protected. After 2007 it takes alot to get me to the frantic stage.

San Marcos CA

42 degrees with no frost. I did bring a few potted palms into the kitchen as a precaution but nothing to get nervous about...yet :huh: .

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

Group,

In a protected spot at the nursery near the sales area in Encinitas, CA. 44 degrees F.

At my home under the canopy, 48 degrees. I live in the South Mission Hills area of S.D. Remember, I went ten years in the garden under canopy and didn't get under 46 degrees. Canopy works.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Group,

In a protected spot at the nursery near the sales area in Encinitas, CA. 44 degrees F.

At my home under the canopy, 48 degrees. I live in the South Mission Hills area of S.D. Remember, I went ten years in the garden under canopy and didn't get under 46 degrees. Canopy works.

Phil

I agree but the benefits of a canopy have there downsides also. Howea is probably my healthiest palm & chamaedorea tepejilote always look good. But the only person who sees these beauties is me! Got to raise the canopy without endangering them to sun or cold exposure. Good time to open the canopy is right now while the sun is low.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Sounds like the proverbial "bullet" was bitten with mostly OK aftermaths.

I always start a fungicide regimen when 42 F. threshold is reached and breached. Subdue Maxx is my choice.

Good luck tonight, guys. I think that any period lower than 34 F. should be at sunrise and rebound by 8:30 or so above 40 F.

Great reports, guys!

Pablo

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

38 last night. 37 is my season low which was on Sunday night. Tonight calls for 38 and then after that it starts to steadily get warmer. Hopefully the worst is over.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

28f last night here in Corona. "a bit" warmer tonight.

--------------------

Kevin Martin - Meteorologist

Southern California Weather Authority

I've had a few nights/mornings of 32F here in Temecula. The other morning my wife said the the lawn/cars/rooftops were covered in light fffrost. Temps are forecast to improve for me a bit.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

I can't believe the warm temps reported here. I live in University City, 1.5 miles from La Jolla shores at the top of a hill. I don't have a temperature gauge but I had hard frozen dew AKA ICE on my windshield yesterday morning after sunrise and this morning I checked the lawn and it has frozen dew (thicker than what I would call frost). I'm really surprised at this because I seem to be the only one reporting ice? This is my first winter at this house...

I do back up to a canyon that feeds into the San Clemente canyon (52 freeway) but all ice was in my yard with no protection.

Brrrr

I thought freezing temps were behind us for a while, but.......wrong! It's 31 here this morning, clear skys, and a white frost. I'm looking for that warming trend. It looks like more rain headed our way next week. This latest front has some pretty cold air behind it.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Same here, The sun just started coming up and I'm at 31F and covered in frost. Checked one of my Beccariophoenix strap leafers and it is covered in frost. This will be the first real test for it.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

37 last night which equals the coldest so far this year and which also was the coldest I got last year. I'll live with 37 If that is as cold as it gets this year, but winter officially begins tomorrow so we'll wait and see. At least for the next ten days only lows in the 40's forecasted.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

36.7F and frost on my lawn. I'm sure there's ice on the car windows too. Still in 10b this winter.

And palms in the garage. It was 40F at midnight, so I brought most of them inside.

post-662-1229791148_thumb.jpg

post-662-1229791159_thumb.jpg

post-662-1229791168_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

I had 37F last night. There was some ice on my car windshield and light frost on the rooftops, but grass had liquid dew (no ice). Jason, I just moved to UTC as well. I'm a bit down the canyon near Regents/Governor intersection, and I think UTC is not the best microclimate. What I am a bit relieved about is that it seems that being on the canyone slope is maybe a bit better than being on the Mesa.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

First-

Matt, you and "Quaman58" need to talk, Bret is just on the other side of Regents rd from you, about in parallel.

I hit 37.6 out front last night and 36.8 in back last night. I suspect the enormous humidity in back is keeping it a degree or so warmer than "dry", usually its about a 2 degree diff between front and back.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

44F\ 6.6c under clear skies but with a light wind. I have wind chimes outside my bedroom window that periodically wake me up but I don't complain since it is the nicest sound to hear during cold nights. Looks like low-mid 40's across the basin\ coastline\ foothills but 30's in the valleys. I don't think sub-freezing temps lasted more than a few hours in frost-prone regions but if frost\ ice formed it is still damaging to some vegetation.

It will stay chilly all week but with occasional storms\ clouds it should be OK. My worry is the duration of cool days & chilly nights with wet ground & expect yellowing palm fronds & general "shitty" look to materialize & last into spring :(

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I got to 32 night before last. Lots of frost in the area rooftops... just a bit of it on my grass ... last night was a little warmer. No damaged noted. (excpet it looks like my damn dog knocked over a 2' Schizolobium!)

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

41° was the low-again a brief dip for me, last night. Most of the night it was 44°. In front garden, which receives more wind, it was 46°.

Low so far-for a whopping 55 minutes-was 38°. rest of garden was still above 40°

So far, so good....

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

39.2 early this morning, 39.7 yesterday.

Blonddude, what kind of system do you have to record the various temps and time? I only get lows and highs from a single sensor.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Hi Kim,

The highly unscientific multiple thermometers and moving sensor in the sweatpants technique. Basically, I walk around my yard and stare at the high-low thermometers and move one sensor as needed.

It's not pretty, but it works-except when I scare an opossum.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Last night was definitely a bit chillier than Thursday night. 37F and hard sheet of ice on my truck's roof. Yuck. Hoping for some more cloud cover to warm things up a bit. Most of the year old (and younger) seedlings got brought indoors.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

My low last night was 41 degrees. I have not seen anything in the 30's yet this fall and no frost at all! I recieved 1 and a half inches of rain in the first storm and 3'' from the last with more expected next week :) . I brought a few palms inside to play it safe and I'm enjoying looking through the new burgandy red frond of my Mad Fox in my kitchen window sill :drool: .

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

42.8 last night under shade cloth but I bet a bit colder out in the open.

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

42.8 last night under shade cloth but I bet a bit colder out in the open.

I suspect 2-3 degrees

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The bad news, this is the first day of winter. Welcome winter. The good news is rain and showers are forcast for the next week, and minimums at or above 40 F. all week. I can live with that. It's 41 F here now, and sprinkles.

Dick

Richard Douglas