IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms Around Darwin

Daryl

I missed this series, Daryl, wonderful images, especially the coastal shots. I look at the palm photos and realize how little I know about palms...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 4 months later...

Bump !

I was just telling Daryl how much this thread makes me want to go to Darwin in a hurry, so for those who missed this and those wanting a re-run of one of the most palm enticing threads in travel logs, have a look and tell us what you think. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Here are some photos of the coast. Bismarckias are popular all over town, and they seem to grow better in Darwin than any other place in Oz.

post-42-1229522140_thumb.jpg

The wet season colours the sky with clouds of all shades and shapes. The sea also changes with the weather. Here is a late afternoon photo looking out over Fannie Bay.

post-42-1229522220_thumb.jpg

And further around towards Nightcliff

post-42-1229522297_thumb.jpg

Menacing rain storm a few Ks out to sea...

post-42-1229522477_thumb.jpg

Thanks Daryl for sharing those fabulous photos. I never knew Bismarkias also came in green. Now I wont sleep till I get my hands on one. Seeing Verschaffeltias in the ground so big and healthy made me feel guilty for that poor little speciman on my desk....maybe I should post it north.

Peachy

Some more foreshore Bizzies

post-42-1229522536_thumb.jpg

They plant them everywhere...

post-42-1229522579_thumb.jpg

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Hi Robyn, thanks for the reply. Search for 'Ratpack Darwin ' to see some more photos from the year before.

Welcome to palmtalk too!

regards,

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Funny that this thread should get bumped back up right now. I was so impressed by the pictures when I saw them back in December that I made up my mind that I had to go. Darwin's experience during the war and the proximity of Kakadu National Park has interested me for years, but the fabulous pictures of the fabulous palms sealed the deal. My wife and I arrive within a couple of weeks - May 18 to be exact.

And since we're on the topic, perhaps someone local or a recent visitor can offer some advice. I'd been planning to spend a couple of days at the Botanic Garden Apartments; being close enough to simply stroll into the garden sounds very inviting. But it looks like the place is fairly expensive. Perhaps someone has (a) an opinion on whether the place is worth the price, or (B) a suggestion of somewhere else to stay. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall

Hi Mike,

Just saw this thread again... we have been rather pre-occupied lately. I suggest if you can book ahead, it will be a lot easier on you... Darwin is busy with tourist at the moment. I think where the boys were staying at the Free Spirits Resorts at BP Palms is quite good and reasonable. It is a bit out of town, but then most of the attraction is out of town anyway.

What are you planning to do here and for how long? And what is your budget for accomodation. Unfortunately, they won't be too many special with the tourist season already started. You might have to stay a few days at the Kakadu resort to save you the trips back and forth to Darwin. Are you planning to go to Litchfield national park? There is a palm garden (a bit run down, but still good) around the corner from my place (well, not literally around the corner...lol), that you might want to check out. Also, don't forget to have a few glasses of wine on the Mindil Beach on Thursday/Sunday night while watching the sunset and enjoying the market. A must do in Darwin... really.

Let me know if you want any other information. I might not be contactable next week, since I am going to the hospital on Tuesday (touch wood), but I should be back on my feet the weekend after when you get here....

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks so much for the information and advice, Ari. I'll definitely follow your suggestion and make sure to do a little advance planning and get a reservation or two.

Our general plan is to stay 10 days in the Northern Territory spending most of the time visiting Kakadu and Litchfield National Parks with a few days or so in Darwin. We'll be camping out most of the time which makes me realize that we don't really have to worry about budget that much for the few nights we'll spend in hotels. My wife has been quite keen about going to the Mindil Beach markets; she thought it would be a good way to get a feel for the locals' way of life. Your comments make me think we should really try to work that into our schedule. I'd been considering passing back through town between parks anyway since it's often nice to get a good meal and a night in a clean bed after camping out for a few nights. Maybe we'll do that on Sunday to allow us to hit the market.

I hope your visit to the hospital is quick and painless and your recovery is swift. Maybe I'll send you a message to see if I can get for the location of that little palm garden near you. One nice thing about palm lovers is that you don't have to explain why you might travel half-way around the world and then spend your time visiting every garden - even the humble, overgrown ones - you can find.

Aloha,

Mike

Mike Lock, North coast of Maui, 330 ft/100 m elevaton, 80 in/2000 mm average rainfall

Hospital should be ok.... I don't know about painless though.... I don't what it is about May... everyone is coming to visit and I can't take them anywhere... Just bad timing. Just in case, I am out of communication range, Daryl has been there to the Fred Pass garden and hopefully he can give you direction.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hi Mike, I'm sure you will have a good time there! Here is a rough map of how to get to Fred's pass for you , and also for Jack next week. Well worth the time to find and walk around. An hour should be enough. Easy to get to...just drive south from Darwin City down the Stuart Hwy until Coolalinga shops. Continue south past Girraween Road and drive about 1 km further. Turn right into Bees Creek Road, then right into the gravel road into the park. See the following image for more detail. Once you turn onto the straight gravel track and head north, follow the rusty pipeline until you find a dirt mound constructed over the pipe. Turn left over the pipe and continue for 100 metres. Park in the shade under the trees. You will be able to find the rest once you get out of the car. It is not immediately obvious at first, but walk towards the vegetation and you will find the park.

post-42-1241790085_thumb.jpg

As for the rest of your stay there....I would recommend a Cessna flight over Kakadu...an unforgettable experience, especially flying over the top of Jim Jim Falls. Ours left from Jabiru airport. Also, to see the Hydriastele ramsayii, just drive along the Arnhem Hwy towards Kakadu. Once you cross into the park, look for the bridge marked 'West Alligator River East branch'. Slow right down and you will see the palms on both sides of the road in open Eucalypt forest.

Back in Darwin, check out East Point War museum, Fannie Bay Yacht Club area, and the Botanical Gardens of course. Also check out Howard Springs, Berry Springs, Casuarina Coastal Reserve, where you will see wild stands of Carpentaria, P.bleeseri, Hydriastele wendlandiana, Livistona benthamii etc. Charles Darwin Nat'l park has more war relics and Livistona humilis, although you will see this palm by the millions on the outskirts of Darwin.

Also check out Cullen Bay for some nice dining. Another tip is to just drive around the older suburbs of central Darwin such as Parap, Larrakeya, Doctor's Gully which have some nice old gardens etc. I could go on with more...but PM me if you need it.

regards,

Daryl

p.s ....Ari, good luck with the baby!

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

BTW, the NT Government House is open on the Friday 22 May and Saturday 23 May 2009. I think it is well worth checking out the garden, if you happen to be in town. Small but nice. I think I have posted some photos before last year.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Me too Ari, all the best for the birth, nothing wrong with "Wal" for a name.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Unless it is a girl....lol

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thanks for the tips and directions. Besides the great photos, you went above and beyond, Daryl, with the map to the park at Fred's Pass. (Quite literally above with the Google satellite image - a nice touch. I'm packing the map with me.) That, of course, is exactly the kind of place that I'd never be able to find without someone willing to share some local knowledge. It's also exactly the kind of place I'd like to visit. In fact, the more I learn about the area, the more I realize just how much time I could spend exploring. But it also looks like I'll need to brush up on my native north Australia palms; I've never seen either Hydriastele ramsayi or H. wendlandiana in anything other than pictures before.

Hi Mike, if you do actually venture out to see the wild Hydriastele ramsayi , believe you me, it will be the greatest palm experience you may ever have.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi Wal,

A Hydriastele ramsayi hunt is now on the must-do list. From the pictures I've seen, it looks like an impressive and distinctive palm. And Daryl's directions make it sound quite doable.

By the way, I'm glad you resurrected this thread. Being the quiet type, I don't think I would have asked for tips and hints otherwise. Now I have some new and potentially very interesting stops on my itinerary.

Mike

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...
On 12/18/2008, 4:06:15, ariscott said:

Most of the planting were done in the late 80's and early 90's. Unfortunately, Darwin is going through 'native' phase at the moment... where people are encouraged to plant Top End Native trees... The native nazi is actually winning the argument at the moment. It is not like I have anything against natives, because I actually plant them myself on my property. Due to lack of imagination in the city planning part and availability at the nursery, they tend to plant one or two species everywhere. One of them is Hibiscus Tileaceous (sp?) rubra. They are now planted EVERYWHERE. I used to like them until they bombarded the place with it, now I feel like taking all 3 of mine out :hmm: .

Not many palms are being planted these days and many palms in the residential blocks are being removed everyday. It is mainly because of the weedy Carpies, but people don't make distinction. I saw a few Alexandrea in the back of the trailer the other day... chopped up and taken to the tip. Palms are getting the bad reputation, which hopefully will change again. There are still some palm people out there here in Darwin. They are just very quiet...

We got the Native Nazis here too. Instead of promoting the use of natives, they take it to an extreme. Not very receptive to those who force their preferences on others. Thankfully these palms got in the ground when they did. 

Thank you Daryl for a wonderful thread. Lots of nice mature unusual palms.  :wub:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

After seeing this thread it makes me want to go back to Australia again.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Image how palms would grow if Darwin had regular rainfall instead of being dry for 7-8 months of the year.  

Edited by steve99