IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

You Californians think its cold?

Coloradoboi

This morning was the coldest morning on record in Denver for more than 10 years.

My garden side thermometer recorded a temperature of -19 degrees Fahrenheit this morning at five o'clock.

Yesterday it recorded a temperature of -15 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning. The high was only 11 degrees.

It is unbelievably brutal outside. Everyone is afraid to go out. Pipes have been bursting all over the city. The power has gone out several times here, but I am lucky because I have a fireplace.

I protected my palms. The low inside the canvas tent I used for protection was 0 degrees. I think that two of the three T-Fortunei that I had growing are goners. The other one MAY pull through. My Florida Needle Palms look as if nothing happened to them.

- Scott -

Littleton Colorado - Zone 6A.

Growing several Rhapidophyllum hystrix, and attempting a T-Fortunei.

Funny, my brother called me from Denver today for a "temp check" via Nextel.

I said "55 and drizzling" (small exaggeration)

He said "8 degrees here"

I said, "I figured, thats why I moved away"

Silence

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Scott,

Hopefully, it warms up quickly for you. I'm glad to hear the Rhapidophyllum is still OK.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

That sounds really miserable. Really, really miserable! Time for a vacation to a warmer climate? Stay warm, and good luck with the palms!

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

This morning was the coldest morning on record in Denver for more than 10 years.

My garden side thermometer recorded a temperature of -19 degrees Fahrenheit this morning at five o'clock.

Yesterday it recorded a temperature of -15 degrees Fahrenheit in the morning. The high was only 11 degrees.

It is unbelievably brutal outside. Everyone is afraid to go out. Pipes have been bursting all over the city. The power has gone out several times here, but I am lucky because I have a fireplace.

I protected my palms. The low inside the canvas tent I used for protection was 0 degrees. I think that two of the three T-Fortunei that I had growing are goners. The other one MAY pull through. My Florida Needle Palms look as if nothing happened to them.

BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :blink:

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Wow -19F that would be around the -28C, damm that's cold! I never have feel that before in my whole life, and i'm 21 years old now. And i'm sorry but i hope that i never going to feel that kind of tempetures. I hope you're plants will be ok.

Robbin

Southwest