floridagrower

2009 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

John Case

I have amde a fewe contributions to Palmpedia.

Let me expand on Dean's statement about the work lists.

Everything you do shows that there is that much more to do. If all of us took some time to learn the software and add what we 'know', the resource would have that much more value. This is especially true because its data comes from real growing data, not just descriptions found in reference material.

Palms grown in California have a great opportunity as we have such a diverse climate, we can contribute to both tropical and temperate palms, special projects and studies that we perform and much more. Additionally, all of the information is easily available as well.

I encourage all of use to contribute what we can and make it the definitive palm resource.

(BTW, the area near my spa heater must be a Zone 11 microclimate!....when its on.)

Dean, you can send me the 10 bucks any time :rolleyes:

Austinpalm
Here's a link to bookmark.

CLICK HERE FOR SUNSET UBER-MAP!

And let out a shriek of delight!

Did whoever designed Sunset Zones forget that the Texas border follows the Rio Grande all the way from El Paso to Brownsville? The map does not show the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Whats up?

Edited by Austinpalm

DoomsDave
Here's a link to bookmark.

CLICK HERE FOR SUNSET UBER-MAP!

And let out a shriek of delight!

Did whoever designed Sunset Zones forget that the Texas border follows the Rio Grande all the way from El Paso to Brownsville? The map does not show the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Whats up?

Hmm. Looks like someone wasn't as sensitive to geography as they need to be.

When I lived in Corpus people elsewhere tended to forget about us, too . . . .

Cindy Adair

Hmmm. It says 8a for Virginia Beach when I've been told all these years it was 8b. Our zip in Puerto Rico is 12b which sounds right with lows 55-60 F.

Walt

The new USDA hardiness map with regard to Highlands County, Florida, IMO, is generally accurate.

While the map doesn't indicate the 1/2 to 1 (or slightly more) higher zone ratings in close to the many large lakes here (thermal effect of the water), it does, for the first time, indicate the area located in the south central part of the county that runs much colder (at night) then the rest of the county.

The Archbold Biological Station (ABS) is located in this cold area. ABS has an official NOAA weather station there, among some other weather stations. While the area on the new USDA map shows this area to be 9a (whereas the rest of the county is 9b), most winters it is actually 8b. And in fact, ABS has twice recorded a low of 13 degrees (8a). On numerous ocassions (during severe radiational cooling events) I've seen low temperature differences of more than 20 degrees between ABS and some lakeside locations. Large bodies of water (lakes) is the great moderator of air temperatures here deep inland away from Atlantic and Gulf influences.

redant

The map states its data as 1976 - 2005 leaving out some rather nasty data for FL in 09-10

Eric in Orlando

Why such a short time frame of data? Why not use 50 years or so, incorporating cold and warm winters for a better average.

Mandrew968

Why such a short time frame of data? Why not use 50 years or so, incorporating cold and warm winters for a better average.

Yeah, why not?? The map tells me I'm in zone 10b, but I know better than that...

Stevetoad

i live in zone 10a...ok... does this mean my 10a palms wont get frost burned now??? :rolleyes:

Mandrew968

i live in zone 10a...ok... does this mean my 10a palms wont get frost burned now??? :rolleyes:

Yeah, your gonna be fine, Steve. :mrlooney:

floridagrower

I agree. We have the data already. Why not use it?

stygiana

100% in agreement