IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

2009 USDA Plant Hardiness Zone Map

floridagrower

I have amde a fewe contributions to Palmpedia.

Let me expand on Dean's statement about the work lists.

Everything you do shows that there is that much more to do. If all of us took some time to learn the software and add what we 'know', the resource would have that much more value. This is especially true because its data comes from real growing data, not just descriptions found in reference material.

Palms grown in California have a great opportunity as we have such a diverse climate, we can contribute to both tropical and temperate palms, special projects and studies that we perform and much more. Additionally, all of the information is easily available as well.

I encourage all of use to contribute what we can and make it the definitive palm resource.

(BTW, the area near my spa heater must be a Zone 11 microclimate!....when its on.)

Dean, you can send me the 10 bucks any time :rolleyes:

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

Here's a link to bookmark.

CLICK HERE FOR SUNSET UBER-MAP!

And let out a shriek of delight!

Did whoever designed Sunset Zones forget that the Texas border follows the Rio Grande all the way from El Paso to Brownsville? The map does not show the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Whats up?

Edited by Austinpalm

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Here's a link to bookmark.

CLICK HERE FOR SUNSET UBER-MAP!

And let out a shriek of delight!

Did whoever designed Sunset Zones forget that the Texas border follows the Rio Grande all the way from El Paso to Brownsville? The map does not show the Lower Rio Grande Valley. Whats up?

Hmm. Looks like someone wasn't as sensitive to geography as they need to be.

When I lived in Corpus people elsewhere tended to forget about us, too . . . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 years later...

Hmmm. It says 8a for Virginia Beach when I've been told all these years it was 8b. Our zip in Puerto Rico is 12b which sounds right with lows 55-60 F.

Cindy Adair

The new USDA hardiness map with regard to Highlands County, Florida, IMO, is generally accurate.

While the map doesn't indicate the 1/2 to 1 (or slightly more) higher zone ratings in close to the many large lakes here (thermal effect of the water), it does, for the first time, indicate the area located in the south central part of the county that runs much colder (at night) then the rest of the county.

The Archbold Biological Station (ABS) is located in this cold area. ABS has an official NOAA weather station there, among some other weather stations. While the area on the new USDA map shows this area to be 9a (whereas the rest of the county is 9b), most winters it is actually 8b. And in fact, ABS has twice recorded a low of 13 degrees (8a). On numerous ocassions (during severe radiational cooling events) I've seen low temperature differences of more than 20 degrees between ABS and some lakeside locations. Large bodies of water (lakes) is the great moderator of air temperatures here deep inland away from Atlantic and Gulf influences.

Mad about palms

The map states its data as 1976 - 2005 leaving out some rather nasty data for FL in 09-10

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Why such a short time frame of data? Why not use 50 years or so, incorporating cold and warm winters for a better average.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Why such a short time frame of data? Why not use 50 years or so, incorporating cold and warm winters for a better average.

Yeah, why not?? The map tells me I'm in zone 10b, but I know better than that...

i live in zone 10a...ok... does this mean my 10a palms wont get frost burned now??? :rolleyes:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

i live in zone 10a...ok... does this mean my 10a palms wont get frost burned now??? :rolleyes:

Yeah, your gonna be fine, Steve. :mrlooney:

I agree. We have the data already. Why not use it?

Jeff

North Florida

100% in agreement

Sebastian, garden on La Palma island, 370 m (1200 feet) above sea level / USDA Zone 11/12 ; Heat zone IV / V

Record High: 42°C (107F) / Record Low: 9°C (48°F). Rain: 600 mm (24 inches) per year with dry/wet seasons. Warm Season: July-November / Cool Season: December-June
Warmest month (August/September) average minimum temperature : 21°C (70°F) / Warmest month (August/September) average maximum temperature : 28°C (82°F)
Coldest month (February/March) average minimum temperature : 14,5°C (58°F) / Coldest month (February/March) average maximum temperature : 21°C (70°F)

Temperature of the sea : minimum of 20°C (68°F) in march, maximum of 25°C (77°F) in September/October.

• 2 weeks later...