IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

PSSC BANQUET

JEFF from Trabuco Canyon CA

Jeff, well, rocked.

It was a bit long, but I didn't care, what with all the palms in habitat and Dr. Dransfield, Da Godfadda, and his expressions.

Esecially the part about what seedling was sold as which, and well, deja vu all over again, which Dr. D. wisely acceded to. I would have, and I will. . . .

Madagascar, here I come . .

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Wow!! What a PRA :drool::drool: Definately $55 well spent! Jeff Marcus's pics from habitat were mindblowingly beautifull :drool::drool: Jeff has such a passion for these Madagascan species that in half of the pics he was hugging the palms :wub: . Dypsis Robusta, Prestoniana, Malcomberi and true Basilonga but the winner was Ovobontsira with it's Jet black shiny trunk :drool: . On a sad note Jeff also revealed some of the wreckage taking place over there. He showed a pick of what is believed to be the last Beccariophoenix no windows and he said Dypsis Saint lucei is all but extinct on the island as they use the trunks to make lobster traps :blink: . And to think I almost did'nt go :rolleyes: . Clark talked me into it and I'm glad he did!! We picked up Bradah Dave (Deez palms) and rolled up to the OC To get Pogo, Braden and Brett (palmfreek). As a side bonus we got to tour Pogo's awesome garden. If you like New Caledonian palms Pogo's garden is as good as it gets :drool::drool: . Good friends, great palms, delicious food,awesome day.

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I agree with all, this PSSC Banquet was absolutely outstanding in every respect, a good value for my $55 for sure! Bill Dickenson gave a detailed tour of the hotel grounds, just superb, with lots of history about the palms, the hotel, and he even had old palm journals with photos of some of the exact palms we were viewing, so we could see how much they had increased in size in the last twenty years. The asian-themed lunch was delicious, we all ate too much!

Jeff Marcus' presentation was way beyond my highest expectations. I was so impressed by the photos, the palms, and the really brilliant objective of photographing the adult palms and their seedlings to improve and document identification. It was amusing to hear his apologies for the palms he has mistakenly sold under incorrect names, while seeing the correct species on the screen, as in, "This is the true basilonga..." What an exciting adventure, solving so many palm mysteries, and raising so many new palm mysteries. Certainly the grand black-trunked Dypsis ovobontsira was a highlight for me, but some of the "ankle-biters" like the shiny D. bosseri (sp?) were heart-stoppingly gorgeous also. By the end of the presentation I was ready to sell my soul to the devil if it would buy me another trip to Madagascar, and surely I was not the only one who felt that way!

One of the mysteries solved by Dr. Dransfield in the course of the expedition: this palm, which I photographed back in March 2008 in Don Turk's Botanical Garden outside Ranomafana, and was unidentified at the time, is now said to be Dypsis robusta. It is growing in Jeff's garden in Hawaii on the Big Island.

DSC_0582.jpg

DSC_0583.jpg

It was fun to see friends again, meet some of the new folks on the board, and I had a great time enabling Hulagal during the auction!

In a few days, when I have some time to organize and re-size my photos, I will post some in the main forum.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

This was my first PSSC meeting & banquet and it was an incredible experience. The tour was great and my personal highlights on it included the countless Rhop. Sapida's, the two large Teddy Bears at the front of the hotel and a really nice Dypsis Lutescens.

The slideshow was incredible. That's really all I can say. A few other people above me listed the amazing images that we had the priviledge of seeing. One other standout for me that was not mentioned above was the Dypsis Decipiens that was at least 25 - 30 feet tall (it looked like a Roystonea it was so big!) and the Blue Dypsis Lutescens!

All in all, a great time. Great food and I am anxiously awaiting future meetings and banquets! Special thanks to Ralph Velez for putting this on!

Jason you were right on with that Blue D. lutescens, it was great!

Jason, I also wish you had Identified your self. If you have looked at many of the threads, I'm hard to miss, or look at my profile. I could spot any people that looked like your avatar. :D But glad you made it, either way.

Bill

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Wow!! What a PRA :drool::drool: Definately $55 well spent! Jeff Marcus's pics from habitat were mindblowingly beautifull :drool::drool: Jeff has such a passion for these Madagascan species that in half of the pics he was hugging the palms :wub: . Dypsis Robusta, Prestoniana, Malcomberi and true Basilonga but the winner was Ovobontsira with it's Jet black shiny trunk :drool: . On a sad note Jeff also revealed some of the wreckage taking place over there. He showed a pick of what is believed to be the last Beccariophoenix no windows and he said Dypsis Saint lucei is all but extinct on the island as they use the trunks to make lobster traps :blink: . And to think I almost did'nt go :rolleyes: . Clark talked me into it and I'm glad he did!! We picked up Bradah Dave (Deez palms) and rolled up to the OC To get Pogo, Braden and Brett (palmfreek). As a side bonus we got to tour Pogo's awesome garden. If you like New Caledonian palms Pogo's garden is as good as it gets :drool::drool: . Good friends, great palms, delicious food,awesome day.

Where were you?

WAIT!!!

Where was I when you were there?

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

:mellow:^_^;):P:D:lol:B):rolleyes:

Dave- Thought you guys knew each other. Steve was sitting to your left about 10 feet away. He was sitting near Bob DeJong and had a very shiny head. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Dave, he was sitting next to 'realarch'. B)

Tim

Henceforth, I'm going to put my real name and my nom de Palmtalk on my name tags at PRAs . . . . . .

:mrlooney::rolleyes::winkie::unsure::drool::blink::angry::lol: