IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can This Be Global Warming!!!

The Palm Nut

The summer rains that have been missing, atleast where I live, have come at last. Not only have they come but they have come with the tropical Northernly winds. And Iam talking about lots of rain, not the sprinkle we often get from the south which is anything but tropical . This is what it used to be like years ago. And what makes it even better, its not thunderstorms that ofter bring damaging hail, fortunately I seem to miss out on all the damage, touch wood.

We all like pictures so here is one outside my dinning room window.

Mike

post-250-1229139526_thumb.jpg

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

The summer rains that have been missing, atleast where I live, have come at last. Not only have they come but they have come with the tropical Northernly winds. And Iam talking about lots of rain, not the sprinkle we often get from the south which is anything but tropical . This is what it used to be like years ago. And what makes it even better, its not thunderstorms that ofter bring damaging hail, fortunately I seem to miss out on all the damage, touch wood.

We all like pictures so here is one outside my dinning room window.

Mike

Beautiful, nourishing waves of tropic rain to replenish nuch-needed cellular moisture! Enjoy the pitter patter of the raindroips on the roof...then look for your plants in the bext several days look hydrated & refreshed!

This is great fortune, Mike; ebjoy the day!

Cheers! :)

Paul

Paul, The Palm Doctor @ http://www.thewisegardener.com

Enjoy that tropical rain. It's awesome when you get that. A few weeks back we had a similar situation and it was great.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Things should grow well with the warmth and the rain for you. I noticed that things really are taking off now, unfortunately including the weeds. BTW, how were those pitchardia seeds?? Mine are all up now.

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Here in Paraná it´s strangely dry last month while in Santa Catarina (state south from here) was flooded by 300 to 500mm (!!!!!!!!!!!) rain in 3 days. More than 100 people died and thousands lost there house. It were the heaviest rains in history of Santa Catarina. A lot of mounts ´´melted´´ and covered plantations,houses........

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Don't know about NSW, but the island nation of Kiribati is definitely feeling the pinch. Check out this program:

Kiribati

Eating palm hearts is not a crime...but is should be.

Things should grow well with the warmth and the rain for you. I noticed that things really are taking off now, unfortunately including the weeds. BTW, how were those pitchardia seeds?? Mine are all up now.

Regards, Ari :)

Hi Ari,

I have had two of the Pitchardia and five of the Euterpe precatoria germinate.

Thanks again.

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

• 2 weeks later...
Don't know about NSW, but the island nation of Kiribati is definitely feeling the pinch. Check out this program:

Kiribati

Is it climate change or just good old erosion? After all, since these islands are so small, the effects of erosion by the ocean and winds might have a much larger effect than on a larger island....

I noticed the WWII gun placements still in place. Where were they situated in the 1940s? That might help in determining the difference.

Even if we stipulate climate change, do we blame the human race for it?

I am not yet ready to stipulate either one.

John Case

Brentwood CA

Owner and curator of Hana Keu Garden

USDA Zone 9b more or less, Sunset Zone 14 in winter 9 in summer

"Its always exciting the first time you save the world. Its a real thrill!"

I'm sorry to hear about all the adverse changes. After poking at people for saying that "global warming" is a crock because of three cold years or a freak snowfall in Las Vegas (which is not the first), I'd say the same to those who say the earth must be warming because some unusual thing has happened once or twice. This is probably a longer-term trend over a huge amount of short-term and other long-term variation, and obviously far from determined beyond a shadow of a doubt. But, there is substantial evidence of a gradual warming trend. For a while, we probably will see few easily-quantifiable changes, and some spots may even benefit from warming in the long run. But, I sincerely hope that the trend isn't a trend at all. I'm just not counting on it.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

How come islands in Kirbati that 40 yrs ago were islands are gone while the others are still there? Why are other islands throughout the Pacific not disappearing at the same rate? Shouldn't sea level go up everywhere?

Islands have always come & gone is the Pacific. Most are the tops of undersea volcanoes, or coral atolls built on the tops of volcanoes. As time goes by the are eroded away and sink. This will happen to Kirbati, the Hawaiian islands and others regardless of what we do or don't do

david

Is it possible that things like this have been happening for eons and eons but no Press existed to report it?

What you look for is what is looking