IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

bonsai palm tree.

ErikSJI

Has anyone here tried to do a bonsai palm tree? If so anyone have any pointers in starting them out as a seedling.

From what ive read you really cant, but i think you could reduce the size alot if you root prune every year, prune most the leaves off, and maybe shade? I was going to try it with a few trees. I know u can do it to sago's, I have a nice one, I just need to find a 25" wide bonsi pot lol.

post-2010-1229153545_thumb.jpg

You can bonsai Tracheycarpus wagnerianus and Rhapis. Get a small T. wag, don't trim the roots, but wash all the soil off and twist the roots into the bonsai pot, then tie it down to force it into place. then add soil You can keep it this way for several years. Larger growing palms don't lend themselves to bonsai very well.

Dick

Richard Douglas

You can bonsai Tracheycarpus wagnerianus and Rhapis. Get a small T. wag, don't trim the roots, but wash all the soil off and twist the roots into the bonsai pot, then tie it down to force it into place. then add soil You can keep it this way for several years. Larger growing palms don't lend themselves to bonsai very well.

Dick

So if it is a pinnate palm, should I wait for it to go pinnate. Here are some photos I found on the net.

First photo Ponytail palm

The middle photo is from

near Bonneveine, Provence-Alpes-Côte dʼAzur (France)

Last photo sago palm

post-1930-1229183615_thumb.jpg

post-1930-1229183641_thumb.jpg

post-1930-1229183700_thumb.jpg

Edited by ErikSJI

I have a old washingtonia my grandfather grew from seed mail ordered about 20 years ago.

some of the trees are 25 feet today and some are stunted and small. neglect , poor soil, no ferts was the treatment to get it to this stage. :blink:

Its has about a foot of trunk and close to 20 years old. since this photo in october it has started to shoot out lots of adventitous roots.

post-741-1229186577_thumb.jpg

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

Hi friends,

I would say, wanting to make bonsai from palms is litteraly barking up the wrong tree.......... :rolleyes:

You can´t trim their branches(there are´nt any), Palms dont like their roots to be messed with, and they have their own agenda as far as size is concerned.

If you want to ....really... I ´d recomend Raphis as the only one.

Or else try something that ´s not even a palm, but looks like it:Cycads, Ponytails....

Hi friends,

I would say, wanting to make bonsai from palms is litteraly barking up the wrong tree.......... :rolleyes:

You can´t trim their branches(there are´nt any), Palms dont like their roots to be messed with, and they have their own agenda as far as size is concerned.

Or else try something that ´s not even a palm, but looks like it:Cycads, Ponytails....

Thanks for the info Jose. We have cut the roots on many of our palms. They are doing fine. Trunks thickened and they came back with a vigor. We have even weed wacked some 1 gallons that were getting out of control and were to lazy to repot. The palms loved it so much, it made me want to weed wack everything. So it definatley made me wonder. Can bonzai palms be done. In essence all your really doing is prunning them back right? And keep clipping the roots that peak out of the pot.

So if I were to try this. What would be the appropriate age to start? Before or after they are pinnate?

Hi friends,

Thanks for the info Jose. We have cut the roots on many of our palms. They are doing fine. Trunks thickened and they came back with a vigor. We have even weed wacked some 1 gallons that were getting out of control and were to lazy to repot. The palms loved it so much, it made me want to weed wack everything. So it definatley made me wonder. Can bonzai palms be done. In essence all your really doing is prunning them back right? And keep clipping the roots that peak out of the pot.

So if I were to try this. What would be the appropriate age to start? Before or after they are pinnate?

Here is an old article I read that got me interested.

http://www.pacsoa.org.au/palms/Articles/BonsaiPalms.html

Palm Articles

Bonsai Palms

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In 1991 or 1992, my wife gave me a gift of some bonsai tools, a Chinese Elm, and some books on bonsai. The books are full of pictures of amazing, and sometimes very old, bonsai "subjects." I was immediately fascinated that a plant that normally produces leaves the size of your hand will produce them the size of your fingernail under the right conditions.

Bonsai combines horticultural, technical, and artistic skills to produce a living work of art. A well-grown bonsai plant will "miniaturize" in all its parts and eventually have the appearance of a mature tree. It is not a genetic condition of the plant, but rather a condition of its owner's efforts at bonsai culture. According to _Simon & Schuster's Guide to BONSAI_, bonsai culture is over 1500 years old, and originated, most probably, in China.

As part of my newfound interest, I joined the San Diego Bonsai Club and participated in weekly meetings at Casa del Prado in Balboa Park. Very early in this association, I noticed that no one was doing any bonsai with palm trees. I started asking other members whether it would work, and how it could be done. Usually, this brought either a blank stare or a shrug of the shoulders from the person I was addressing. Palm trees were probably the last thing they wanted to think about while they trimmed their ficus and juniper. Fearing ridicule, and because of the generally negative reaction, I didn't tell anyone I'd already started a few palms as bonsai.

Once, on a bus trip back from a bonsai show in Los Angeles, I was making my now-familiar inquiry regarding palms as bonsai subjects, and drew the attention of some of the more "senior" members of the club. One of them turned and, somewhat irritated, asked: "That's what you're interested in? Palm trees?" I shrugged my shoulders and nodded. It was pretty clear that my interest in palms was a "square peg" in the "round hole" of the Bonsai Club.

Shortly after this encounter, I resigned as a member of the Bonsai Club and joined the International Palm Society, and started quizzing IPS members about palms as bonsai subjects. I have to say that there is usually very little difference between a Bonsai Club member's face or an IPS member's face when you inquire about bonsai palms. Not surprisingly, one IPS member asked me flat out: "That's what you're interested in? Bonsai?" I should have anticipated that response.

Through persistence, I finally did learn that Rhapis are sometimes grown as bonsai. Some are genetic dwarves and all seem to tolerate being rootbound. Additionally, they already have slender trunks and grow slowly. In other words: It's easy to keep them in a pot. However, pictures of the ones I have seen don't suggest to me that they are "miniaturizing" dramatically the way true bonsai do -- leaves, trunk, and all. I am not only interested in keeping the plants small, but also in growing them to healthy, miniature, mature, trees.

About a year or so ago, I had a conversation with Walt Frey, and was pleased to learn that he, too, was interested in bonsai palms. He told me about a Chamaerops humilis of his that has been in the same pot for years and has miniaturized over time as a result of its cramped conditions. He hadn't used any root pruning techniques, though, and we talked generally about palms and bonsai. At last: a kindred spirit.

Next, I wrote to Drs. Natalie Uhl and John Dransfield to get their input regarding bonsai palms. Dr. Uhl referred me to Dennis Johnson, who wrote a small article on some bonsai palms he saw in Indonesia. The article appeared in the April, 1991, issue of _Principes_. Pictured were a Dypsis lutescens and a Cocos nucifera --both of which looked, honestly, like they were in desperate need of a root pruning.

Dr. Dransfield told me that there is a tradition in Indonesia of pot-growing clustering palms. Apparently, Calamus ciliaris can look very pretty when its aerial stems are pruned back. His favorite bonsai palm, however, is Dypsis lutescens. When grown well, it produces dwarfed fronds, slender short stems and very dense clustering. He also informed me that Dick Douglas, ex president of IPS, used to have some handsome dwarfed Trachycarpus fortunei (the form normally called T. wagnerianus) growing in bonsai pots, with very tiny leaves.

I have several palms that seem good candidates for bonsai because they have survived root prunings and seem to be miniaturizing. These include: Phoenix roebelenii, P. canariensis, P. reclinata, Butia bonnettii, Chamaerops humilis, Dypsis decaryi, Syagrus romanzoffiana, Trachycarpus fortunei, and Trachycarpus "takil".

Every other Spring, I've been cutting 10-40% of each subject's roots, giving each some new soil, and putting them back in the same pot. My pots are deeper than traditional bonsai pots because the palms were climbing too quickly out of those. I fertilize only very lightly, and never around the time of a root pruning. Most of these plants are watered two to three times a week and seem to be healthy. Most started this process as seedlings or one gallon plants. I've chosen plants that won't be missed too much if they perish in the process. So far, I haven't lost any.

I'm only three or four years into this "experiment," but am encouraged that some of my plants are showing signs that my efforts will be rewarded. It's important to remember that a good bonsai is not just a stunted plant--it's a healthy, miniature tree. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has any information or experience to share: It's a pretty lonely road, and I could use all the company I can get.

I would encourage all of you to flip through a bonsai book the next time you're in a bookstore. If you're not really familiar with the art, you may be surprised by what you see. I would also encourage you to do a little root pruning on some smaller potted palms and see if you like the result. It takes a little time and patience, but we're all pretty accustomed to that. It will be years before my subjects have any appreciable trunk on them, and only then will I be able to tell if they are really miniaturizing the way they seem to be. In the meantime, I'm enjoying the creative process. Hmmmm..... Dypsis decipiens in a thimble? Could be.

Contributed by: David F. Schwartz