IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

"living with the kombai tribe"

paulgila

i started watching this for the tropical backdrop & palms but i found the lifestyle of the people to be fascinating.

have you seen this show? if so,what do you think?

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

i started watching this for the tropical backdrop & palms but i found the lifestyle of the people to be fascinating.

have you seen this show? if so,what do you think?

Nope... :)

But I think if you took the many hours here to explain what you saw, what you heard, what you liked, what you didn't like, and what you thank, We would all "thank" you for telling us all on what we missed. :)

Yur buuuuudy,

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Good show. I love the translations of what the Kombai are saying. They are a funny people... funny and violent!

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Where is this show? Is this the tribe Jim Carry stayed with in "Pet Detective II"?

Jerry

So many species,

so little time.

Coconut Creek, Florida

Zone 10b (Zone 11 except for once evey 10 or 20 years)

Last Freeze: 2011,50 Miles North of Fairchilds

i stay away from ANY movie with jim carey :rage:

far,far away.

some amazing shots of palms.i tried to find some images from the show on p.bucket to post here but no luck :huh:

still "warning-free."

I think lowlando california has a rule against the weenie sticks paul, but if you wanna wear one around the house, back yard etc.. I wont judge!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

The way of the transgressor is hard

I visited the kombai tribe years ago. Nice crew. They still send Christmas cards.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Paul the thought of a lowlando cop wailing on you with a night stick as his partner maces you for jaunting thru the neighbor hood wearing the weiner gourd, is just like the ultimate most shcking video dream come true!!

Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.

Abraham Lincoln

i am surprised they havent caught me yet! :winkie:

there is a female cop that lives a few houses up.that might be fun....

still "warning-free."

so tad youve obviously seen the show but have you been able to peel yer eyes away from the "wiener gourds" long enough to enjoy anything else about this remarkable show? :hmm:

still "warning-free."

that shows kinda lame, and I think its a little bit exploitive, I see enuff people living in squalor that will croak from preventable disease when I am in mex!

the jungle shots are nice but I am more of a smoking gun, you tubes greatest pwnage moments stuff, if I am going to be entertained by otherpeoples pain and suffering and deplorable circumstances, I want their to be an edgy guitar overlay, and some decent cleavage here and their, not that old nasty 25 year old jungle gal that looks 90 cuz shes had 6 kids,nursed a pig and cant kick the stomach worms she gets from eating rotten food, as she squats and smokes smiling with her one good tooth because she doesnt know about toothbrushes and mouthwash!

Abraham Lincoln

cmon tad,how do you REALLY feel about it? :lol:

i think its interesting to see how other cultures live & how they use whats available to them to survive.

i guess theres always "girls gone wild" if thats what ya like. :mrlooney:

still "warning-free."

Paul, in all honesty I like the show. In fact I have a longtime college buddy that tells me he knows the area because he went through there 15 years ago. It is actually on the Indonesian side of Papua (Irian Jaya to you and I Russ). Anyway, his stories fascinated me so I decided to do the other side and hit Papua New Guinea and went up the Sepik River. Plenty of "weiner gourds" there too.

<.....and end name and country dropping>

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

I can't wait till next season. I hear they are doing "Real Housewives of the Kombai."

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

also coming next season: "project kombai" in which contestants make haute fashion form gourds & grasses,& "top kombai chef" in which chefs from around the world compete to try & make sago grubs edible to western tourists--with wine pairings.

still "warning-free."

Dewd, when the po-po had you down what was worse? the mace? the taser? or the new friends you made in county while modeleing your gourd?

whats wrong with girls gone wild? single artist mothers need supporting too, and I like watching how they live, er dance, and best of all, no gourds!!

Abraham Lincoln

hmmm good question,tad.unfortunately i blacked out so i have no memory of it.maybe it'll surface on you tube.

i'm sure yer wife supports you helping out poor struggling schoolgirls.what a humanitarian you are. :winkie:

still "warning-free."

:) just trying to do my part to STIMULATE the economy!!

post-18-1229261470_thumb.jpg

Abraham Lincoln

Tad,

I like the T shirt. It sort of reminds me of life in Brazil.

I did not see the program, but I am sure I would have enjoyed it. I am sure it is not all that far removed from some of the aspects of life in Amazonia.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

I just feel bad for those people, and like I said I see enough of that crap in real life!!

true story, when I was working down in Mex close to Mante, there was a little kid named timoteo, he was like a shadow at the produce shed i was running, left town one day came back about a week later....where is my tocaillo?(we have the same name)...translated his cause of death was "the air hit him wrong"

they had no clue what he died from, he just died, I HATE THAT SHIT!!!!! I have seen enough of that crap in real life, the jungle shots are nice but thats about it!

Abraham Lincoln

i'm sure yer right,don.

in the last episode one of the brits who was living with the tribe mentioned that even tho the beliefs of the tribe seem ridiculous to us,

western beliefs are just as ridiculous to them.just goes to show it all depends on yer point of view. :winkie:

still "warning-free."

• 2 weeks later...

Dry clean only.

quick question - are the penis gourds dishwasher safe?

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

-- Alfred Austin

thanks,len.

cmon,danny,everyone knows they dont have dishwashers.

still "warning-free."

I just feel bad for those people, and like I said I see enough of that crap in real life!!

true story, when I was working down in Mex close to Mante, there was a little kid named timoteo, he was like a shadow at the produce shed i was running, left town one day came back about a week later....where is my tocaillo?(we have the same name)...translated his cause of death was "the air hit him wrong"

they had no clue what he died from, he just died, I HATE THAT SHIT!!!!! I have seen enough of that crap in real life, the jungle shots are nice but thats about it!

hmmm,maybe therapy is an option at this point. :mrlooney:

still "warning-free."