IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

My House

freakypalmguy

Wow, looks great! I can only imagine what the place will look like in 5 years or so. Thanks for the tour.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Brachychiton rupestris

l_80a086de11e041558edc8d2f6cc0f97e.jpg

Xanthorhoea preisii . These are the first plants I have grown from seed and they are VERY slow. Two years from germination. They seem to be gaining some speed

l_81fcdf3468a64caa8053391d8bd4654e.jpg

Closer

l_2a6ab2acee58454ca966088973ac4f4d.jpg

E. horridus X woodii

l_91ce88367edf4756b307f1b6a0eae3f9.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Agave

l_84dfed8a3d9d41f292bfde0f771aaedf.jpg

Bizzie looking a bit tired from the wind

l_885804f7f569421baff34f74d93e7703.jpg

Sabal uresana just starting to gain some speed

l_55c28f83476c489480d0a545ac928191.jpg

Arenga engleri growing very slow

l_0589ded5656c43dd810eba0143bf30ec.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

struggling C. alba

l_1f712b60475d407fb07170e65dcade9e.jpg

Parajubea tor tor

l_1d257f4c352d4616a1753d192dfeafa7.jpg

P. reclinata

l_903ec9df8f0347309989873cfbe6bbec.jpg

another tor tor

l_689b33a79de041fcbae012857821535c.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

P. robellini and D. fine leaf

l_28ad27dba6954442a327f67054303614.jpg

l_327015263a864bf582d7d8562191b0c1.jpg

back down the hill

l_19e59f752e3d43bba3900994fbdc6c70.jpg

C. radicalis

l_16494138ec854c6cb1637e96585ac34b.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

E. longifolius blue which is some sort of hybrid I believe

l_ba678a9a36ed4e54a6304188b48e1710.jpg

Z. furfuracea

l_4af3709e2148445d96a164a55c560b6f.jpg

Z. floridana

l_4c654eed78e74795a9a9a0672c66c28f.jpg

Wallichia densiflora and Colocasia

l_f9fdb0a802814b0791784e3311dc59dc.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

E. trispinosus seedling

l_d5454c37313a4aa2b1a64b6163ba827c.jpg

C. melango and Z. vasquezii

l_f08f4aa39036488095a3062ce613b4e3.jpg

some of my recent booty that will have to wait untill spring. D. onilahensis, Mac. diplomera, C. ophiolitica, T. latisectus, A. purpurea, and Attalea geraensis

l_8c19422771db4049ab32be6b5b49d421.jpg

A. arenaria

l_e788ba763aa14bf59bbc6926ba1ed236.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

I thought this was a cool shot with the color contrast. E. longifolius joubertina form with a new green flush.

l_42ab7bf959b0452291f2b00bf8c2dd46.jpg

C. glaucifolia

l_ede43a98a16543c3a67db72278acfab6.jpg

Ravenea glauca

l_b1084797e49c4ebf961183a1f296a10b.jpg

I thought this D. fineleaf was interesting how it put out one broad leaf ?

l_efc345366e164148b24bfc628d836006.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

closeup of an emerging flush on C. taitungensis

l_60d1e0f7e6dc47cc9a83df78a567d4ff.jpg

Caryota obtusa and two R. rivularis

l_b0960e91abd14c9cba4f34f34eb9dec6.jpg

Greenhouse

l_beaab6a8780a42b5b369fa36e37394dc.jpg

Inside. It's a bit of a mess

l_415a73f2fdf04a8b8475d873f2904d81.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

and one last parting shot for now, I went up on the entrance road to my place and snapped this overview shot.

l_a5e2c51400dd4b71ae2330ae51002833.jpg

Here is a satellite shot with a red line drawn around. It's about 2.5 years old.

l_060b7c73788744d8837437e3edf339ab.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Great piece of land. It's goona be a heaven one day, i see it :D

island Vis, adriatic sea, Croatia. Zone 9b/10a

Temperature low last winter: -0.9°C/30.4 F

Temperature low this winter: -0.3°C/31.5 F

-Creating my own little palm heaven-

Appreciate it Tim, Bob, and Pivi

Matt in Temecula, CA

Love the aerial view for giving perspective. Hey, you could fly over and take an updated photo yourself! I'm sure the airline would be cool about the detour. (Not so cool about the steep bank to get a photo from the window.)

It looks like you are keeping all the tender stuff close to the house, and up on the hill. I missed the S. riverside and Royal... which posts numbers?

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Love the aerial view for giving perspective. Hey, you could fly over and take an updated photo yourself! I'm sure the airline would be cool about the detour. (Not so cool about the steep bank to get a photo from the window.)

It looks like you are keeping all the tender stuff close to the house, and up on the hill. I missed the S. riverside and Royal... which posts numbers?

Terry,

For now, until some of the more cold hardy stuff gets bigger on the hill, I am being cautious. I am starting to spread out more now that I am full up top for now. Someday I'll remove some of that water guzzling grass to make more room. A pool might happen in the back yard which opens up a whole new are for planting. Someday.

Post 14, pic 4 next to the hose is the Sabal, and the Royal is to the left of it but not in the pic. I had not noticed I missed that grouping. I'm doing the redeye to Kennedy tonight so I'll have to get a pic up when I get back in a few.

Also the Sabal riverside seedling and Syagrus obreojos are in post 13 pic 4 but they are to small to see :D there is a bunch of other stuff on that hillside like R. xerophila, and 3 B. allfredii but they are also too small for now.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Wow, you are really going to transform that 5 acres!

Out of curiosity, how far apart are those palms in the 'Canary Field' planted?

zone 7a (Avg. max low temp 0 to 5 F, -18 to -15 C), hot humid summers

Avgs___Jan__Feb__Mar__Apr__May__Jun__Jul__Aug__Sep__Oct__Nov__Dec

High___44___49___58___69___78___85___89___87___81___70___59___48

Low____24___26___33___42___52___61___66___65___58___45___36___28

Precip_3.1__2.7__3.6__3.0__4.0__3.6__3.6__3.6__3.8__3.3__3.2__3.1

Snow___8.1__6.2__3.4__0.4__0____0____0____0____0____0.1__0.8__2.2

Wow Matt that is some transformation from the first pic till know. In 5 to 10 years those jubs and cidps will be out of this world. Nice collection of cycads along with the palms. Your yard is looking great, thanks for sharing those pics.

Don

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Wow, great visual presentation. As others have already said....it's going to be really awsome in a few years. Do you run individual drip irrigation to each plant......the place looks really dry (but the palms are doing great). Anyway, thanks for the visuals........you are really freaky! :)

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Fantastic place and a good variety of drought hardy palms . How cold was it january 2007 ?

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

It looks bigger than my 5 acres.... How long have you been planting it? Mine is only 2 years old...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Thank you all again.

Mark Nova - The canaries are planted twelve feet apart. They will be touching eventually, but my plan is to sell some or all someday.

David - Before we planted, my wife and I rented a ditch witch, trenched all over, and laid pipe so everything is irrigated on individual drips on a timer. I was well worth the effort.

Troy - we got down to 22F

Ari - We started 3 years ago with a bunch of queens, then two years ago probably two thirds of what is planted then this spring another third. I look forward to this spring :D

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt your place looks awesone!

I like your cycad & palm collection, and the best of it, is that you still have plenty of room for more cool plants!

Congratulations

Christian

5 acres, palm garden, RV, greenhouse, airline pilot... you are living the dream buddy! :drool:

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Thank you Christian.

I'm having some fun with it Len, and talk about living the dream :hmm:

Matt in Temecula, CA

BS, I see if I can get her in a bikini and strike a pose for you :drool:

Really Matt, you let it warm up a bit first. I don't want her to catch her "death of cold" or nuthin like that. B)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Awesome job Matt! Fantastic!

Question, I notice there is very little natural vegetation. Is there normally no grass or natural ground cover in your area?

Matt, wow! 5 acres of palm bliss? That is going to be an amazing yard. This is going to be an amazing "before and after" yard in a few years. How many palms did you put in the ground this year?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

BS, I see if I can get her in a bikini and strike a pose for you :drool:

Really Matt, you let it warm up a bit first. I don't want her to catch her "death of cold" or nuthin like that. B)

The cold makes it more interesting :blink:

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt, wow! 5 acres of palm bliss? That is going to be an amazing yard. This is going to be an amazing "before and after" yard in a few years. How many palms did you put in the ground this year?

Thanks Joe, I guess I probably put in around 35 this year. Mainly small stuff because that's all I can afford right now. Except for that killer freebie I got from LJG. Had to dig it, but it was worth it.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Very nice Matt! You still have a lot of land to work with. Did you get your succulents from SteveInSoCal? BTW, what happen to him.

Alot of land and a lot more palms!!! Great job!! It will look steller once you get some age on the palms!!

"Randy" IPS member # 150229

Dover, FL (West of Plant City, FL)

120 feet above sea level

Average Yearly Rainfall is 51.17 inches per year

Average Summer Temp 83F

Average Winter Temp 62F

USDA Zone 9a/9b

Dover.gif

Really well done Matt!

I didn't realize you had that much space. Sweet.

Love the collection and plantings that you have choosen.

Your lot will be even more completely awesome looking in the years to come!

Keep up the good work.

Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Hi Matt,

You did an outstanding job in your garden. I liked the greenhouse with the small palms waiting to be planted.

Your garden inspired me ...... what to do in my own garden!

Enjoyed your post.

Thank you Contractor, Joe, and Jose.

Very nice Matt! You still have a lot of land to work with. Did you get your succulents from SteveInSoCal? BTW, what happen to him.

Thanks Big,

I did get some of my succulents from Steve. He has been very busy with his house remodel and also bought a vacation home in the mountains that he has been spending a lot of time at.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Awesome job Matt! Fantastic!

Question, I notice there is very little natural vegetation. Is there normally no grass or natural ground cover in your area?

Sorry I missed this before Jim.

It would be covered with sagebrush, tumbleweeds, and assorted other weeds but I try to keep it cleared. I'll try to take a pic of the natural vegetation that is not cleared off the back side of my property when the sun comes up. Actually, I just noticed in the Satellite photo, you can see what the natural looks like on the back side of my house.

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt,

Thanks for sharing the photos. Very nice. I appreciate the time you took to post this thread. For those who don't know Temecula, it's north of San Diego one and a half hours and interior from the coast. This means it's hot in the summer and cooler in the winter. You'll notice that Matt is growing the species that benefit from this heat but survive his winters.

Matt, a few things that I noticed and took interest in: The cycads look great. The Brahea clara is superb. Everything blue is really showing good color with your heat. Your plantings are going to continue to be great for photos. They are nicely spaced because you have so much land. If my recognition is correct, is that a R. rivularis in the front? It looks excellent. Many people have trouble with Ravenea rivularis inland. And, the Hyphanae corriacea. That's gong to be superb in time. I also liked the P. torralyii. I'm sure your Bismarckias are going to jam up there if we can cancel the deal with Alaska to send us their air.

Way to go and thanks again.

Phil

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Matt- My lower jaw's on the floor, and if I ever get it reattached I'll mop up the drool. Great Landscaping! Perito

:lol: Thank you Perry.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Matt,

Thanks for sharing the photos. Very nice. I appreciate the time you took to post this thread. For those who don't know Temecula, it's north of San Diego one and a half hours and interior from the coast. This means it's hot in the summer and cooler in the winter. You'll notice that Matt is growing the species that benefit from this heat but survive his winters.

Matt, a few things that I noticed and took interest in: The cycads look great. The Brahea clara is superb. Everything blue is really showing good color with your heat. Your plantings are going to continue to be great for photos. They are nicely spaced because you have so much land. If my recognition is correct, is that a R. rivularis in the front? It looks excellent. Many people have trouble with Ravenea rivularis inland. And, the Hyphanae corriacea. That's gong to be superb in time. I also liked the P. torralyii. I'm sure your Bismarckias are going to jam up there if we can cancel the deal with Alaska to send us their air.

Way to go and thanks again.

Phil

Hi Phil,

Thank you for the very nice comments.

That is a Ravenea rivularis at the front of my house. I placed it there as it is South facing and hopefully gets some radiant heat from my house. Also the queens next to it offer a little protection. There were others in Temecula that defoliated in the big freeze but came back just fine. I also observed Archontophoenix cunninghamiana that burned 100% but have recovered.

Also my spacing has gotten better, but I do have a few placed way to close together. My wife gets the credit for the improved spacing. She is constantly reminding me, "don't put that there, it's toooo close". So now I usually consult with her before I plant so I don't get scolded later. :D

I don't know if you keep a record of what your customers purchase, but there are a few in there from you. Here is a list and how they are doing.

The Caryota obtusa I purchased from you before the big freeze a few years back, but luckily had not planted it yet. It has been in the ground for about a year and a half and is doing very well. It is on it's third spear of the year. Right now I have it partially covered.

Chamaerops humilis var. cerifera growing very nicely.

Bismarkia nobilis really took off this year

Dypsis decipiens doing well

The large Dioon edule always looks great.

Colocasia Black Majic defoliates in the winter but comes back nicely in the spring.

Also The double Buitagrus. I remember you wanted me to select a nicer one, as this plant was looking a bit rough. I appreciated your care, but we really wanted a double. It was slow to start, but as you can see from the pics it has now exploded with growth and is looking beautiful. Next year I think it is really going to go in to overtime.

My three largest Jubeas are from you and all doing great.

Unfortunately, the big freeze claimed my Dypsis decaryi as it was the first I planted.

Depending on how this year goes (weather wise), I might get a tad more adventurous.

Thank you again,

Matt

Matt in Temecula, CA