IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians: Heads Up on Possible Arctic Airmass

happ

My head hurts, I wonder why.....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

3-4 days of cold and wet don't worry me so much Burt. As long as we can dry out a bit between rains I'm happy. I may not water all winter but to wet the surface and mulch a few times. Seemed to work last year.

Now, THAT's the kind of positive thinking I like to hear. For a guy with a slow leak in his head, you think pretty good. :winkie:

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Looks like its 37f at my place right now... been raining all day. I just had to go out and run a hose to drain the pool some... looks like its about to overflow.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

SAN BERNARDINO AND RIVERSIDE COUNTY VALLEYS-THE INLAND EMPIRE-

SAN DIEGO COUNTY VALLEYS-COACHELLA VALLEY-

SAN DIEGO COUNTY DESERTS-

816 PM PST WED DEC 17 2008

...FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THURSDAY TO 10 AM PST

FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN SAN DIEGO HAS ISSUED A FROST

ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 10 PM THURSDAY TO 10 AM PST

FRIDAY.

A COLD AIR MASS WILL BRING AREAS OF FROST THURSDAY NIGHT AND FRIDAY

MORNING. MINIMUM TEMPERATURES WILL GET INTO THE UPPER 20S TO LOW

30S WITH A FEW MID 20S POSSIBLE. JUST A FEW CLOUDS AND CALM WINDS

WILL RESULT IN SEVERAL HOURS OF FROST DURATION. GROWERS WITH

SENSITIVE PLANTS SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR FROST PROTECTION.

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR

PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

Doh!

Carl

Vista, CA

Ditto for parts of LA :unsure:

VENTURA COUNTY INTERIOR VALLEYS-VENTURA COUNTY COASTAL VALLEYS-

SANTA CLARITA VALLEY-LOS ANGELES COUNTY SAN FERNANDO VALLEY-

854 PM PST WED DEC 17 2008

A FROST ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 3 AM TO 9 AM PST THURSDAY.

LATER TONIGHT...DIMINISHING WINDS...CLEARING SKIES AND DRIER AIR

MOVING INTO THE REGION WILL ALLOW FOR SOME RADIATIONAL COOLING.

TEMPERATURES ARE EXPECTED TO LOWER INTO THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S

IN COLDEST WIND PROTECTED LOCATIONS LATE TONIGHT.

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT AFFECTED AREAS CAN EXPECT AT LEAST TWO

HOURS OF SUBFREEZING TEMPERATURES BETWEEN 28 AND 32 DEGREES...WITH

POSSIBLE DAMAGE TO CROPS AND TENDER VEGETATION. MEASURES SHOULD BE

TAKEN TO PROTECT SENSITIVE CROPS AND VULNERABLE ANIMALS SHOULD BE

KEPT INDOORS IN A BARN OR SIMILAR STRUCTURE.

The temp dropped to 45F a few hours ago & is staying there but lack of wind & cloudiness could mean 30's in the usual safe areas tomorrow morning & Friday.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

I can think of a LOT of things I'd rather spend money on. Right now I'm sitting here like a dummy watching various parts of drywall soak up water and whatever else get damaged. This is a vaulted ceiling, so I can't do anything to stop the leak before it hits drywall and insulation. My leak was worse in the windiest time too, but it's still steadily growing. How old is your house, btw? Mine is about 13 years old. . .

My house is about 15 year old :hmm:. I crawled up in the attic today and it there was no sign of the leak. It has been raining all morning, but there really isn't any wind to speak of. I thought the bucket I put up there would have just about been full but it only had a little water in it. It was pouring in through the a seam in the attic on Monday :unsure: and nothing today, not sure what to do.

Lots of standing water outside, actually had to dig a couple of drainage trenches to get the stanidng water to drain. I have two queens and a foxy lady that have standing water around their trunks. We could use a little breather to get our head above water, but I hope it doesn't get too cold!

Well as I was writting this we had a BIG down pour, so I crawled up in the attic again and it was leaking. the leak had moved over a couple of inches so it wasn't hitting the bucket. I too will have water damage in the ceiling. Fun fun fun.

I heard that water often comes through seams in the plywood where the roof felt isn't doing its job. But wood swells when it gets wet, so that actually could make the leak slow down. Most of my leak too happened right in the beginning, then lessened in magnitude as it kept raining. So if it dries up, then rains again, probably will start all over :(

My palms are completely in standing water too, especially on my side yard. . .it's been nearly ankle deep over there for like 4 days! Hopefully there won't be a big rot problem. I've been here for about 5 years, but I don't remember it ever being this flooded for this long.

I can't wait until these storms stop for a second, though I might eat my words because that could mean more chance of freezing temps if the weather is clear.

I bottomed out at 31F again this morning, but locatons around me are a couple of degrees lower than yesterday. The murcury hung around 32F for several hours so the duration of freezing was longer last night and my coldest night of the season. Clear sky, no breeze, the worst of all situations. Rain is expected later today in N. Calif. and a slight wsrming trend. I expect my Cannas got zapped last night, but thanks to our warm Autumn, it's about a month later than normal.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Awwwwww, shuks!!

Let's look on the bright side of all this:

1) At least the ground is well watered so maybe the damage won't be so bad, and

2) I get to stay in zone 9B this year by .5 degrees! Joy! :P

Have a great day everyone!

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Patrick,

How cold did you get last night? Looks colder over towards the Valley. The forcast haven't been as bad as predicted here, but still bad enough.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Woops!!

I just went out and there is about 1/8" inch of ice in buckets of water. This was a hard freeze, and all the Cannas are black and wilted. Winter is here.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Looks like I only hit around 35 last night.... we'll see what tonight brings...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Low of 45 last night. Soil temp is extremely low at 53.5F

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

Joe, I've got 2 outside and 1 in the greenhouse. I planted bananas at the lowest spot in the canyon too so I can see how cold it gets way down there. Last year I got 39F at the top of the hill and the bananas were melted so I know it hit 31 down there. Last night I got 46F, just like John.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here's some video I took at the end of the day yesterday. Joe, I think you can see my little bananas at the lowest spot in the canyon.

th_rain-002.jpg

th_rain-003.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Fun videos Matt. I would love to be able to say "my little canyon".

I woke to clear skies but was relieved to see it was only 40.1F outside. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 34-36F range.

I took photos of the San Bernadino mountains on the way to work this morning. This is from the corner of Bobier and Melrose... right on the Oceanside/Vista border.

post-662-1229621947_thumb.jpg

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Nice shot Terry.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

46° for most of the night at the bottom of the canyon. Then, around 6:00 a.m., I dropped to 38 for about 45 minutes. I was at 48° by 9:00 a.m.

No frost, nothing too ugly yet.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

Using a friends iPhone. 25.7 or so, Dick. More later

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

Patrick,

How cold did you get last night? Looks colder over towards the Valley. The forcast haven't been as bad as predicted here, but still bad enough.

Dick

I bottomed out at 30.4F last night....32.6F in the area where my most tender plants are. I think I watered well enough for now, but, geez...this is the exact time of year 1990 started this kind of crap.

On the bright side, it warmed up fast. It's gorgeous outside.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

Fun videos Matt. I would love to be able to say "my little canyon".

I woke to clear skies but was relieved to see it was only 40.1F outside. Tomorrow is supposed to be in the 34-36F range.

I took photos of the San Bernardino mountains on the way to work this morning. This is from the corner of Bobier and Melrose... right on the Oceanside/Vista border.

Terry

That is a truly awesome photo :mrlooney: perfect desktop material

We dodged another bullet of this arctic assault thus far:

HUNTINGTON BEACH : 44

DANA POINT : 43

OCEANSIDE AIRPORT : 43

DEL MAR : 47

MIRAMAR : 45

SAN DIEGO : 50

IMPERIAL BEACH : 52

ONTARIO : 39

RIVERSIDE AIRPORT : 41

TEMECULA : 38

ESCONDIDO : 43

RANCHO BERNARDO : 44

LA MESA : 47

AVALON HARBOR : 46

LA DOWNTOWN : 45

SANTA MONICA : 42

UCLA : 40

BURBANK : 37

SAN GABRIEL : 39

WOODLAND HILLS : 31

CAMARILLO : 34

OJAI : 27

POINT MUGU : 36

SIMI VALLEY : 34

THOUSAND OAKS : 36

SANTA BARBARA : 43

SANTA YNEZ :32

Another cold night or two but well-above freezing across much of the coastal region. The good news\ bad news is that more storms are likely into next week & no freezing temps. Bad news is that it will be the "wet feet syndrome." :o

Lo: 42F\ 5.5c

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I have found that Accuweather is pretty close when it's within a 5 days forecast. Next week looks real good so far...

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

I have found that Accuweather is pretty close when it's within a 5 days forecast. Next week looks real good so far...

I agree, but if you go out longer than that, they are usually pretty far off.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

It warmed up here nicely, if you can call 56F warm. Clouds are moving in now from the next storm and it should be much warmer tonight. With a low last night of 31F and sustained 32F for several hours, I can see no damage except the banana. Things are looking up.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I bottomed out at 31F again this morning, but locatons around me are a couple of degrees lower than yesterday. The murcury hung around 32F for several hours so the duration of freezing was longer last night and my coldest night of the season. Clear sky, no breeze, the worst of all situations. Rain is expected later today in N. Calif. and a slight wsrming trend. I expect my Cannas got zapped last night, but thanks to our warm Autumn, it's about a month later than normal.

Dick

Chop the Cannas back throw some pine mulch if you have some...or what ever mulch on top and you'll be :drool: :drool: :drool: by May!

Happy Holiday,

clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

goodluck californians.

get the daconil and copper fungicide ready after it drys up so all the fungus doesnt get in the bud. the cool wet weather last year along with mid to upper 20's gave washys,trachys, cidp, queens, and a pygmy date all spear pull with nasty smelly fungus.

they all came through with treatments though.

its been warm as hell here.

Luke

Tallahassee, FL - USDA zone 8b/9a

63" rain annually

January avg 65/40 - July avg 92/73

North Florida Palm Society - http://palmsociety.blogspot.com/

It was 42F at 10:30pm and a sky full of stars. I moved a bunch a palms to the garage.

moved a lot of stuff around at the nursery in Vista today.....right now @ 11:30 PM in my little backyard greenhouse in San Marcos it is 43F....i stuck the heater in there, so everything should be fine!

The midnight temp continues to fluctuate between 46-48F depending on a light gust of wind. Hope it stays windy. There is a dying front over Central Cal falling apart. It will stay clear tonight in SoCal & with lower humidity could easily be the coldest weather of this arctic airmass. :(

Edited by happ

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://raleighwx.easternuswx.com/models/gf...nomalyNA216.gif

This is a model outlook West Coast meteorologists are looking at. A strong high pressure system sets up over Alaska & descending winds usher in a very cold airmass over Nevada. This is the type of dynamics that can bring us a serious freeze [comes in the "back door" without the benefit of the Pacific ocean to warm the air mass like in 1990 & 2007]. This model is well over a week away & things can change considerably so it is too early to panic. Ten days out is considered a "marginal" forecast.

Stay tuned :unsure:

Only went down to 40F :drool: :drool:

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

37F here. Ice on car windshields.

I woke up to the pitter patter of rain on my roof and a temp of 48F. You guys in S. Cal. are getting what we had in N. Cal 24 hours earlier. It's turned out to not be so bad. This weak little system is petering out, but more clear skys tonight and low temps, but nothing really dire for the next few days.

Dick

Richard Douglas

http://raleighwx.easternuswx.com/models/gf...nomalyNA216.gif

This is a model outlook West Coast meteorologists are looking at. A strong high pressure system sets up over Alaska & descending winds usher in a very cold airmass over Nevada. This is the type of dynamics that can bring us a serious freeze [comes in the "back door" without the benefit of the Pacific ocean to warm the air mass like in 1990 & 2007]. This model is well over a week away & things can change considerably so it is too early to panic. Ten days out is considered a "marginal" forecast.

Stay tuned :unsure:

Only went down to 40F :drool: :drool:

I take that back my front when down to and currently is 32F....Brrrrrr! :violin: :violin: :violin:

38F in Front and 36.9 in back last night...still 10b, that won't last....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nothing below 40F, season total of about 4 1/2 inches of rain, so far so good. The next two months fill me with dread, however, January and February having been the cruelest the last two winters.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

All the cold predictions did not happen at my place, 42F was the lowest. Must be global warming................NOT!

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

It was 36 F under my patio cover at 630 AM. The front was probably colder with thick ice on top of my car. probably 1/8 inch thick. I may see palm damage. It wasn't forecasted to get below 40F.

Palms are life, the rest is details.

Wednesday night was my coldest night in two years at 33F. Bananas still green and cannas still in bloom! Last night's temperature was 45 with rain. Could go down to upper 30's tonight.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

It was 42.8F at 6:17 this morning in a sheltered spot, under a balcony and trees. Typical postage stamp lot, so I would imagine it could be a little cooler in the exposed areas, but I wouldn't think too much variance.

Carl

Vista, CA

We got caught in a pinch at the nursery. Some of our greenhouse roofing (fiberglass) blew off last week so we were in the process of replacing the roof with a different covering (film) yesterday. We didn't get it finished since we had several repairs to make along the way even though we worked til 2:15 am. At 10:45 pm we hit 37 degrees and that worried me since it was so early and close to no wind, sometimes totally still for an hour or two. At 2:15 I looked again and it was still hovering around 37 degrees. After shuffling plants and palms around my staff and I called it quits and wished for the best. We like messing around with the marginal stuff at our nursery so I was concerned about a few things (Carpoxylon, Joeys, basselinias, etc.). This morning at 9:00 am we found that the low temp on the edge of the greenhouse (3' from the ground) was 35.9 degrees and 98% humidity. This part of the greenhouse had half of a wall of film but no roof. We added 3/4 of an acre (unprotected) for our large palms last spring. I am fairly certain that we must have been at or slightly below 34 degrees on that side. Still haven't seen signs of damage but we are keeping our eyes peeled... I think we are going to be alright based on current observations.

John Mendoza

Landscape Designer, Owner

Tropical Vibe Nursery and Landscape

www.tropicalvibe.com

-Full Landscape design and installation

-Wide variety of palms and tropicals, centrally located in Orange County

-Complete line of garden care products available everyday