IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Californians: Heads Up on Possible Arctic Airmass

happ

How about you nor-cal guys?? What are your lows?? I'm at 39.4 right now. I expect it will drop about 8 degrees or so overnight. We'll see!!!!!!........

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

I watched our SD John Coleman tonite, hes not predicting any freezing temps here at least coastal. But he's worried if a storm is coming far south enough to get us for Christmas.

It appears what will save the "south county folks" (SD) over the next few days is the next storm is coming in from the south to us, so it looked like only clear skys (partial) during the day, cloudy at night.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Well, It dropped 5 degrees in like 3 hours. It's 33.8 right now. Sigh, guess I'll get out the sheets. This is no fun when you have the flu to top it all off. Brrr.

Oakley, California

55 Miles E-NE of San Francisco, CA

Solid zone 9, I can expect at least one night in the mid to low twenties every year.

Hot, dry summers. Cold, wet winters.

My outdoor station is reading 77.9 F at 10:00 pm here in Vista :blink:, time for a new one. Like CromulentKevin my roof sprung a leak this morning,I had a lot of fun climbing through the rafters to get a bucket under it. It will be even more fun when the damn bucket is full! :angry: On the bright side we need the rain, just not in the attic.

Looking at the next couple of days they are predicting high 30's for the low's. I'm bringing the Nepenthes inside for sure. I don't think any of the palms are in danger at this point, but I bet a few (Dypsis decaryi, Roystonea b. Wodeytia b.) are not happy with the cold wet feet.

Carl

Vista, CA

Three small dogs usually sleep with me, and in the middle of the night one gave me a big wet kiss and woke me up. I couldn't go back to sleep, so here I am at 3:30 AM. Uggg. I'm surprised the temp. is only 38F (Did I say only)? Scattered showers are still moving in from the Pacific and the cloud cover is saving me, so far. I'm dreading Wed night with a forcast of the low 20's, but it's been warmer than forcast.....so far.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It's interesting... weather.com forecasts lows at 29f for me the next two nights, but all of the others (accuweather, NWS, weather underground) have it at mid to high 30s. I'm waiting to watch the thermometer tonight... if its 20s then I probably better cover a few things...

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

All this begs the question. Is CA due for another cold winter? It seems like we have had below average temp winters for the last several years. Or so it seems. Hey Happ, do you have any insight to our lonterm winter forecast? We are due for a warmer than average winter at some point after dealing with all this cold.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

2004-2005 was our last warmer than average winter. We've had 3 colder than average Winters in a row, based on minimum low temp.

My zipcode is as sorry as it gets for coastal SoCal, and I see nothing lower than 35F from any sources for the next 15 days. That's the good news. The bad news is more days than not show lows in the 35-39F range. My hope is to get past New Years without seeing 32F.

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Looking at the next couple of days they are predicting high 30's for the low's. I'm bringing the Nepenthes inside for sure. I don't think any of the palms are in danger at this point, but I bet a few (Dypsis decaryi, Roystonea b. Wodeytia b.) are not happy with the cold wet feet.

Nacho, if it makes you feel any better, the Roystonea won't mind it.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Matt - Does it make sense to bring in potted Wodyetias, Dypsis, and Hyophorbes when temps will hit the mid 30s? My gut says let them get used to it outside and save bringing them in for when it looks to go below freezing. I'm talking 5-15 gallon size.

Terry, I assume you mean H. indica. If so then I'd leave them all out at mid 30's. Low 30's is the area that you want to keep an eye on.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Rain\ clouds have saved our butts so far but another pulse of arctic air is heading our way tonight\ tomorrow :wacko: Stays unsettled & drier later this week. The trough of cold air looks to stick around into next week.

Epicure

It's anyone's guess what kind of winter we will have [it doesn't start until next week - nice thought, huh?]. Basically the tropical Pacific is neutral [no El Nino\ no La Nina - some refer current condition as "La Nada"]. It has been a warm autumn & ocean temps are around 60F\ 15.5C. Just because it is cold now doesn't mean it will stay cold all winter but I don't see any real warm temps right thru next week.

I checked winter data since 2004:

Monthly maximum\ minimum & rainfall for Dec\ Jan\ Feb:

2004 - 66F\ 51F [all 3 months] Rain: over 40" - anyone remember that rainyear?

2005 - 69-70F\ 49-52F - Rain: 5"

2006 - 67-71F\ 49-52F - Rain: 4"

2007 - 65-69F\ 49-50F - Rain: 16"

Last winter was a La Nina & was cooler then normal [who can't remember the 2007 Jan Freeze?]. But overall, the last 4 winters have been normal.

I took these photos earlier this morning showing the snow around Mt. Wilson\ 5710'\ 1740m

12-16-08004.jpg

12-16-08007.jpg

And blooming dombeya in the cold

12-16-08008.jpg

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Matt - I have 2 indicas and 1 spindle. If the forecast is 33f or lower they go in the garage.

Happ - LA got a lot more rain than San Diego last year, which only received 9". I remember we got hit harder with every cold front too, but thankfully nothing major.

At 4 PM, Tuesday, it's 38F and overcast in Walnut Creek, East bay San Francisco. It looks like snow, and if the clouds deminish, we are going to get zapped tonight. The high today was around 40F. Things are still wet from the rain earlier today.

Dick

Richard Douglas

At 4 PM, Tuesday, it's 38F and overcast in Walnut Creek, East bay San Francisco. It looks like snow, and if the clouds deminish, we are going to get zapped tonight. The high today was around 40F. Things are still wet from the rain earlier today.

Dick

I see that the NWS has started putting up frost and freeze warnings over a lot of NorCal. Some around the higher elevartions of LA County as well.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

I saw J. Coleman (I want to just say JC, but that doesn't seem right) on tonites forecast mention it looks like a wet Christmas in San Diego after all....

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

My outdoor station is reading 77.9 F at 10:00 pm here in Vista :blink:, time for a new one. Like CromulentKevin my roof sprung a leak this morning,I had a lot of fun climbing through the rafters to get a bucket under it. It will be even more fun when the damn bucket is full! :angry: On the bright side we need the rain, just not in the attic.

Hi there. I'm curious to know what you plan on doing to take care of the leak? I had a couple places give estimates for my small leak and it's pretty outrageous what they are charging. . .like 1,400-1,800 range. . .apparently they want to rip up all the tiles in a very large area around where they think the leak could be, add a couple of layers of felt/underlayment or whatever it's called, and put it back together. Plus repair loose tiles elsewhere, check/repair flashing, etc. I don't have any experience with roof repairs. Anybody know if this is normal to repair such a large area instead of pinpointing it? I guess their theory is if they repair a huge area as if they are redoing 20 percent of the roof, they'll definitely take care of the issue. But I wonder if this is wasteful.

Dick

Dick

Good luck buddy :o That bitterly cold air mass is moving into SoCal tonight & may trigger significant thunderstorms & low snow levels. Rainfall could be quite heavy. But we are safe so long as moisture is involved.

hi 60F\ 15.5C

lo 45F\ 7.2C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Hi there. I'm curious to know what you plan on doing to take care of the leak? I had a couple places give estimates for my small leak and it's pretty outrageous what they are charging. . .like 1,400-1,800 range. . .apparently they want to rip up all the tiles in a very large area around where they think the leak could be, add a couple of layers of felt/underlayment or whatever it's called, and put it back together. Plus repair loose tiles elsewhere, check/repair flashing, etc. I don't have any experience with roof repairs. Anybody know if this is normal to repair such a large area instead of pinpointing it? I guess their theory is if they repair a huge area as if they are redoing 20 percent of the roof, they'll definitely take care of the issue. But I wonder if this is wasteful.

Aw MAN, that is not what I wanted to hear. :angry: Just think of the palms you buy for $1800 skoots. I have not checked into it as far as estimates but most of the leak was wind driven. Once the wind quit howling the leak subsided, but I still need to have it looked at. I have read a little about it and they do have pull up tiles and seal it underneath. I'll do some checking and follow up with you via email.

Bummer.

Good news is my outdoor temp station is working again, 51F at 9:38 here in Vista.

Carl

Vista, CA

It's 6:30 AM and still dark here, but most San Francisco E. Bay locations are reporting right at freezing give or take a few degrees. The clouds moved out over night, but there was a slight breeze that mixed the air and made it warm up a couple of degrees. Righ now it's 32 F at my place, but it was 36F a couple of hours ago. Not a happy report here, but it could have been worse. I only get disturbed when the murcury drops to 25 or below.

It's supposed to be clear today and breezy with a high of only 48 F. Tonight will be the clincher with clear skys and colder temps. I'll be moving some of the more tender container plants inside tonight.

Dick

Richard Douglas

It's 6:30 AM and still dark here, but most San Francisco E. Bay locations are reporting right at freezing give or take a few degrees. The clouds moved out over night, but there was a slight breeze that mixed the air and made it warm up a couple of degrees. Righ now it's 32 F at my place, but it was 36F a couple of hours ago. Not a happy report here, but it could have been worse. I only get disturbed when the murcury drops to 25 or below.

It's supposed to be clear today and breezy with a high of only 48 F. Tonight will be the clincher with clear skys and colder temps. I'll be moving some of the more tender container plants inside tonight.

Dick

Dick,

My low bottomed out at 35F last night, the coldest night this season. But the forecasters are predicting a few degrees warmer tonight here even with clear skies. I hope it's because the cold air mass is moving out of the area. Every winter I hope it stays above 32F so my bananas keep their nice green leaves otherwise I only worry if they forecast lows in the upper 20s, which is thankfully very rare.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Jim,

I bottomed out at 31F this morning. The most cold sensitive plant in my garden is the Abyssinian banana, and it's looking pretty limp. This was my lowest temp of the year so far. This is a very cold bubble of air over us now, and I'm worried about tonight. Like you, I hope it will move out today.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I am watching the snow melt in the oakland hills from my house now. I still have ice everywhere and its 10:45. Frost seems to be all over the place too. Had to ice off the car this morning. Its 38F right now. Yesterday we hit a high of 36F in my sheltered freezing area. Last night we bottomed out at 26.4F. We had some wet snow a few nights ago, but it didnt stick. Seems like palms are ok with it, even though the ground remains frozen at this hour.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

At 1045AM it is raining & 49F\ 9.4C - that has been the temperature since midnight. Most of the heavy rain is over San Diego county w/ good snow build-up in the local mountains. We are in treacherous times if the cloudiness moves out since the frigid air mass has an icy grip on California :blink: Fog in the San Joaquin valley provided enough overnight warmth but the Sacramento valley dropped into the 20's this morning. It is snowing down to the desert floor in Palmdale\ 2700'.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Matt - I have 2 indicas and 1 spindle. If the forecast is 33f or lower they go in the garage.

My spindle was in the ground and went through the 2007 without any leaf burn. I was surprised. Maybe yours need to acclimate to the cold. I already put away the carpoxylon, young dypsis, and new prictchadia, better safe than sorry.

Still 49F here as well with a pouring rain. Brrrrrr..... :badday: Low tonight is supposed to be 45 and cloudy with showers.

Z10b

warm summer/mild winter

31.7 F in my backyard in the coldest spot, coldest temp of the year, but I'm not sure the thermometer is properly calibrated; a nearby station reported 32 F and that makes more sense given the wet air. I think it stayed right about freezing for around an hour. No damage to report to anything, including really tender stuff, which makes me think it never went under freezing and may have stayed just above.

I had hoped we would stay above 35, but I guess I'm happy we didn't get the forecast temp of 30 F.

Looks like we get high clouds ahead of the next storm tonight. That should keep the temps higher. Fingers crossed.

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

49F here at 11:35am. Brrrrrr, the temp is just staying the same, no daytime warmth. 1.25" of rain since midnight so far. This has been the heaviest rain of the three systems this week.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

as long as the clouds don't clear out at night, i'm not worried.

BUT....

plants in rain-soaked pots and really cold air mass = really bad situation!

3-4 days of cold and wet don't worry me so much Burt. As long as we can dry out a bit between rains I'm happy. I may not water all winter but to wet the surface and mulch a few times. Seemed to work last year.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Jason,

I hope your right about the clouds moving in tonight. It looks like I topped out today at 50F, but also looks like a southerly jet stream might be coming into play. If it gets this far north, that would be great news. Mt. Diablo about 12 miles SE of me is white with snow. My forcast low tonight is between 28 and 32 degrees depending on which weather service one uses. So far, it's been a few degrees warmer than forcast.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Aw MAN, that is not what I wanted to hear. :angry: Just think of the palms you buy for $1800 skoots. I have not checked into it as far as estimates but most of the leak was wind driven. Once the wind quit howling the leak subsided, but I still need to have it looked at. I have read a little about it and they do have pull up tiles and seal it underneath. I'll do some checking and follow up with you via email.

Bummer.

Good news is my outdoor temp station is working again, 51F at 9:38 here in Vista.

I can think of a LOT of things I'd rather spend money on. Right now I'm sitting here like a dummy watching various parts of drywall soak up water and whatever else get damaged. This is a vaulted ceiling, so I can't do anything to stop the leak before it hits drywall and insulation. My leak was worse in the windiest time too, but it's still steadily growing. How old is your house, btw? Mine is about 13 years old. . .

Kevin, go get some of that Henry's wet patch and climb up on your roof and slobber some around your vents in that area. It's usually old dry tar that cracks and lets water in. The wet patch just might stop it. I spent the first rains of last winter up on my roof in the rain trying to do just that. I've got no leaks so far this year. Knock on BS Man's head.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Well I have not got the real cold as predicted, low's hanging at around 40F. But the rain on Monday and today has been huge. I don't know how much as of yet, but it was one of the biggest downpours in recent memories.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

You guys in S. Cal. got the bulk of the rain. It mostly skipped over N. Calif. I got about 3/4", but I'm happy for anything I can get.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Freeze Watch has been issued for the entire Central Valley. It may be windy enough in the Bay Area to avoid frost. Does the San Ramon valley get off-shore wind, Dick?

The "mother low" is moving over SoCal bringing more showers & heavy snow at 2500' [the Mohave Desert is a winter wonderland - hope it doesn't melt too fast tomorrow]. The next several mornings could be the worst w/ frost advisories already posted for Santa Ynez & Ojai valleys & freezing temps possible in all coastal valleys by Friday morning. Temps should moderate by this weekend & warmer storms are possible around or after Xmas.

Hi today was 52F\ 11.1c [only 3 degrees difference from the lo - 49F].

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I can think of a LOT of things I'd rather spend money on. Right now I'm sitting here like a dummy watching various parts of drywall soak up water and whatever else get damaged. This is a vaulted ceiling, so I can't do anything to stop the leak before it hits drywall and insulation. My leak was worse in the windiest time too, but it's still steadily growing. How old is your house, btw? Mine is about 13 years old. . .

My house is about 15 year old :hmm:. I crawled up in the attic today and it there was no sign of the leak. It has been raining all morning, but there really isn't any wind to speak of. I thought the bucket I put up there would have just about been full but it only had a little water in it. It was pouring in through the a seam in the attic on Monday :unsure: and nothing today, not sure what to do.

Lots of standing water outside, actually had to dig a couple of drainage trenches to get the stanidng water to drain. I have two queens and a foxy lady that have standing water around their trunks. We could use a little breather to get our head above water, but I hope it doesn't get too cold!

Well as I was writting this we had a BIG down pour, so I crawled up in the attic again and it was leaking. the leak had moved over a couple of inches so it wasn't hitting the bucket. I too will have water damage in the ceiling. Fun fun fun.

Carl

Vista, CA

Well, the highest rain fall for any day in more than a year has just been recorded...it's 7pm and the front has passed thru San Diego.....3 inches of rain later. Temps are dropping fast I'm at 50f at present but it's clearing and I'm sure it will go to 45f by midnight and 40f by 5am. Although too much water on the ground and everywhere else to do any damage. :mrlooney: :mrlooney:

No watering for a month here!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

MERRY CHRISTMAS...

clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Well, the highest rain fall for any day in more than a year has just been recorded...it's 7pm and the front has passed thru San Diego.....3 inches of rain later. Temps are dropping fast I'm at 50f at present but it's clearing and I'm sure it will go to 45f by midnight and 40f by 5am. Although too much water on the ground and everywhere else to do any damage. :mrlooney: :mrlooney:

No watering for a month here!!! :drool: :drool: :drool:

MERRY CHRISTMAS...

clark

That is the good thing! :) I've had the sprinkler off for a couple of weeks now, just watered a few pots. Shoot anymore rain I'm building an ark. Predicting more rain next week. :hmm:

Carl

Vista, CA