IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Highest Winter Temperatures-08/09

bubba

Jan.20,2009-MH-Bullhead City,Az-89F;ML-Avalon,Ca-66F. Results-Fl-19;Tx-19;Ca-9.5; Az-2;La-1;ML-Fl-40;Ca-6;Tx-4. Other state highs include McAllen 75,Marathon 72,Los Angeles 84 and Lake Charles 56.Key west could only manage 62F as ML and the mother load is coming!

Jim, I think Texas probably will take the title unless California keeps going at the pace it has been.

What you look for is what is looking

Jan.21,2009-MH-Gila Bend,Az-84F;ML-Santa Monica,Ca-61F;Results-MH-Fl-19;Tx-19;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-40;Ca-6,Tx-4.Other state highs includeEl Centro 80,Brady,Tx 83,Key West 62,Nachitoches 59.From where we stand,my guess is Texas takes it this year unless California jumps back into it's recent form.You know it is cold when Key West has a low of 50F in Florida.

Bubba,

Thanks for all the hard work in keeping up with the data and posting it. It's very interesting to see the trends that take place. I hope everything is ok with everyone in Florida, hopefully it wasn't as bad as forecasted.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Not fair. TX keeps losing by one degree. This has happened many times. If you counted all of those too, TX would be way ahead in this race.

Jan.22,2009-MH-Brownwood,Tx-87F;ML-Santa Monica,Ca-60F. Results- MH-Tx-20;Fl-19;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-40;Ca-7;Tx-4. Other state highs include North Island 79,Gila Bend 80,Ft. Lauderdale 68 and Shreveport 75.Florida freeze is over and the damage will be assessed.

Don, Thank you

Jim, It has been closer than usual. I think Texas will take it. It all evens out.Thanks for your interest.

Jan.23,2009-MH-Llano,Tx-89F;ML-Los Angeles,Ca-59F and Laredo,Tx-59F.Results-MH-Tx-21,Fl-19,Ca-9.5,Az-3,La-1; ML-Fl-40,Ca-7.5,Tx-4.5.Other state highs include Imperial 75,Yuma 75,Hollywood 73 and Hammond 77.Marathon Fl had a minimum of 55F but the cold front has passed and now Florida perhaps can it back into the game.

Jan.23,2009-Correction-ML-Yuma,Az-61F.Accordingly,ML-Fl-40;Ca-7:Tx-4; Az-1

the low deserts in east california and arizona now start to get more warm is possible to see some hot temperatures from there in the next weeks.

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Jan.25,2009-MH-78F-Brownsville,Tx;ML-Key West,Fl-62F. Results Tx-22;Fl-19;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-41,Ca-7;Tx-4;Az-1.Other state highs include Thermal 76,Yuma 72,Houma,77 and Ft.Lauderdale 76.Victoria,tx was reported in WU column to have a high of 81F but it reported 64F.Death Valley was reported in my paper to have a high of 79 but it reported 66F.Florida is warming up but not as fast as Texas.

Cristobal, I am always checking the Desert SW closely and will continue.

Jan.25,2009-MH-Pecos,Tx-82F;ML-Marathon,Fl-62F. Results-MH-Tx-23;Fl-19;Ca-9.5;Ax-3;La-1;ML-Fl-42;Ca-7;Tx-4. Other state highs include Douglas 73, Tampa 78,Thermal 70 and Fourchon 60.I have a dilema using non-NWS stations for Highs/Lows.Pecos,Ft.Stockton,Wink and Big Spring reported 82,79,79 and 78 respectively. They are all non-NWS sites.Brownsville had the highest NWS site in the State at 76.Because of the uniformity in area,even though Pecos is non-NWS,I will give it. This,notwithstanding that the closest NWS site in Midland reported 74F.Please give me your thoughts!

Jan.25,2009-MH-Pecos,Tx-82F;ML-Marathon,Fl-62F. Results-MH-Tx-23;Fl-19;Ca-9.5;Ax-3;La-1;ML-Fl-42;Ca-7;Tx-4. Other state highs include Douglas 73, Tampa 78,Thermal 70 and Fourchon 60.I have a dilema using non-NWS stations for Highs/Lows.Pecos,Ft.Stockton,Wink and Big Spring reported 82,79,79 and 78 respectively. They are all non-NWS sites.Brownsville had the highest NWS site in the State at 76.Because of the uniformity in area,even though Pecos is non-NWS,I will give it. This,notwithstanding that the closest NWS site in Midland reported 74F.Please give me your thoughts!

Those non NWS sites are fairly accurate. Remember, out in West TX, there are huge amounts of land between these towns, so some are not that close to Midland. It is not uncommon for Wink and Ft Stockton to have the state high (not as common as McAllen or Laredo, but it still happens). Midland, however, for whatever reason, usually does not take the state high.

Jan.26,2009-MH-Victoria Tx-86F;ML-Brownsville,Tx and Key West,Fl-64F. Results-MH-Tx-24;Fl-19;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1. ML-Fl-42.5;Ca-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1. Other state highs include Naples 84,Thermal 64,Douglas 66 and Baton Rouge 74.Victoria and it's quick movement shows just how fast it can heat up in Texas.At 10:51 Am it was 73.4F. At 11:51 AM it was 86F. At 12:51AM it was 75.4F.Texas is pulling away in MH!

Jan. 27,2009-MH-Savannah,Ga-91F;ML-Marathon,Fl-69F.Results-MH-Tx-24,Fl-19;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;Ga-1;ML-Fl-43;Ca-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1.Other state highs includeTampa 84,Alice 89,Phoenix 62, North Island 68 and Baton Rouge 82.Georgia gets on the Board with a freak display but it was a NWS site.

Jan. 27,2009-MH-Savannah,Ga-91F;ML-Marathon,Fl-69F.Results-MH-Tx-24,Fl-19;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;Ga-1;ML-Fl-43;Ca-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1.Other state highs includeTampa 84,Alice 89,Phoenix 62, North Island 68 and Baton Rouge 82.Georgia gets on the Board with a freak display but it was a NWS site.

Wow! that is one unexpected MH location. Everything I saw yesterday showed Georgia to be in the 50's and 60's with maybe some low 70's along the Florida line.

Clay

South Padre Island, Zone 10b until the next vortex.

Clay,I know it is curious. Check the Weather Underground wrap-up and it is a NWS station.

Modification: Nothwithstanding my normal reliance on Weather Undeground,irrefutable scientific evidence has been put forward suggesting a major reporting error in the Weather Underground's statement of the high in Savannah,Ga. as 91F. on Jan.27,2009. Accordingly, Jan.27,2009 is hereby amended as follows:

Jan.27,2009-MH-Alice,Tx-89F;ML-Marathon,Fl-69F. Results-MH-Tx-25;Fl-19;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1.ML-Fl-43;Ca-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1

All claims tendered by Georgia are hereby summarily dismissed and they shall go hence without day nothwithstanding the fact that said Savannah WU is reporting 82F as this Modification is issued.

Further Addendum: Special note is taken that Alice,Tx is not an NWS site and that 140F is reported on Weather Underground as the High temperature for Jan.28,as established in 2004.What's a man to do?

Alice did get up to 89 according to NWS. That is one of those S. TX towns that can get hot at any time.

http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=crp

In fact their average Jan High this year has been about 77F, probably about the warmest in the country, including most of FL.

Edited by syersj

Jan.28,2009-MH- Melbourne, Fl-84F.;Ml-Key West,Fl-70F. Results- MH-Tx-25;Fl-20;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-44;CA-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1. Other state highs include Weslaco 70,Los Angeles,75,Yuma,68 and Baton Rouge 70.For the most part Winter is over in the warmer areas of the US at this time and longer days will make those temperatures move up. Texas looks in very good position to take MH this year.A very cool and nice Winter in Florida does not look likely to remove it from ML champ.

Jim, Alice is definitely a hot spot.I would like to see their palms and other foliage.It is amazing the way Texas temperatures can jump 10F in 30 minutes.By the way, the high reported for Alice on Jan.28,2000 is 140 F and one reason I attempt to keep with NWS sites.No disrespect intended and I know most sites in Texas,even if non-NWS, are reliable.

Doing this each Winter is more work and harder than you would expect but at the end of the day,although imperfect,does give an interesting view of climate. I hope you know I am trying my best!

Jan.28,2009-MH- Melbourne, Fl-84F.;Ml-Key West,Fl-70F. Results- MH-Tx-25;Fl-20;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-44;CA-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1. Other state highs include Weslaco 70,Los Angeles,75,Yuma,68 and Baton Rouge 70.For the most part Winter is over in the warmer areas of the US at this time and longer days will make those temperatures move up. Texas looks in very good position to take MH this year.A very cool and nice Winter in Florida does not look likely to remove it from ML champ.

Jim, Alice is definitely a hot spot.I would like to see their palms and other foliage.It is amazing the way Texas temperatures can jump 10F in 30 minutes.By the way, the high reported for Alice on Jan.28,2000 is 140 F and one reason I attempt to keep with NWS sites.No disrespect intended and I know most sites in Texas,even if non-NWS, are reliable.

Doing this each Winter is more work and harder than you would expect but at the end of the day,although imperfect,does give an interesting view of climate. I hope you know I am trying my best!

Bubba,

Good job keeping up on all of this. As far as the foliage and palms of that area. Please remember that Alice (which is inland near Corpus Christi), is prone to the once in a few decades artic blast similar to central and northern FL. Their all time low is a very cold 12F in 1989, possibly colder in some of the unrecorded freezes many years past. So while warm 99% of the time, it's that once in a blue moon blast that keeps S. TX from being as tropical as S. FL. - it's more in line with central FL. Alice is relatively on the same latitude as Bradenton or Vero, but it's more in line with maybe Daytona palm wise. You're going to see lots of towering palms, but their mainly hardy Washingtonias (planted by the thousands) and other hardy varieties such as PHX, Texas Sabals, Queens etc. It's not until you get to extreme south TX, that you start seeing the Royals and occasional coconut (and their not totally permanent), ala Sarasota/Bradenton/Vero, etc. Even there, washys are planted by the millions it seems. And their on the same latitude as Broward or Dade Co. Also, S Tx is much drier than FL...30 inches of rain a year instead of 50-60 like FL

Jim, Texas,especially Tropical Texas,is a part of the country that I would like to spend time in getting to know!

Jan.29,2009-MH-Okeechobee,Fl-87F;ML-Marathon,Fl-68F. Results-MH-Tx-25;Fl-21,Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-45;Ca-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1.Other state highs include Laredo 70,Fullerton 81,Yuma 74 and Hammond 62.This is turning into a Hoss race as Ca. heats up and Artic cold threatens to freeze the Florida straits through the Keys.

Jan.30,2008-MH-84F;ML-Key West,Fl-61F. Results-MH-Tx-25;Fl-22;Ca-9.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-46;Ca-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1. Other state highs includeEdinburgh 71,Santa Ana 82,Phoenix 75 and Lake Charles 64.Florida moves back to a freeze while the West heats up.

I am having great difficulty reconciling some other temperatures recorded on sites that state NWS with Weather Underground. This is an impossible task if multiple sites have to be reviewed.Accordingly,I will stay with Weather Underground as I have stated all along.Weather Underground also identifies sites that it considers official NWS sites.I am at a loss to attempt to explain these differences.

In that regard,I will take information reported on other Posts on the Board and show the discrepancies between those sites and Weather Underground.Santa Ana,Ca is an NWS site on Weather Underground.(hereinafter referred to as WU) An apparent NWS site posted High/Low for Santa Ana as 87/58.WU reported 82/55.Upon further review, the low temperature of 55F was reported at 11:51 PM,which was well after the the NWS site was reported.According to WU the High of 82 must have occurred between 11:53 AM and 12:53 PM when the temperature moved from 81F to 79F.Additionally, the site caveats all reported temperatures with the Statement that the temperatures represent preliminary data and have not undergone final quality control by NCDC and are subject to revision.

Hence my quandry but my only solution is to stay the course with WU as I started.Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Jan.31,2009-MH-Thermal,Ca-80F:ML-Key West,Fl-55F;Results- MH-Tx-25;Fl-22;Ca-10.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-47,Ca-7;Tx-4.5;Az-1.Other state highs include Yuma 79,Houston 71,Ft. Lauderdale 67 and Natchitoches,La 71.

Weather Underground is simply not as thorough as other sites put forward on this site.Just one example was Riverside,Ca yesterday.WU reports 79/45 at the airport.The other site in the California section that reports NWS with review caveats reports 83/47 at another site in Riverside.The highest official NWS station on WU was Thermal at 80.

Highest lows is even trickier.A review of the California post had numerous sites reporting above 55F.For example, Getty Center reported 60,Ucla 60 and Lake Forest 56.A review this morning of the site reported all of these low temperatures missing and I can only assume not verified.

Another example of frustration was Morro Bay,Ca,which reported 65/58.On WU site typing in Morro Bay,Ca,it reports 71/30 but upon inspection it is San Luis Obisbo with the caveat that it is not official NWS and click here for nearest official site.The click takes you to Santa Maria,Ca,which reports 69/35.

I hope these inconsistencies do not effect the final results. I doubt they will effect ML because of the large lead Florida has.However,it certainly could effect MH. I wish there was a site that did a better job of picking up these California sites that were deemed official NWS sites.It is clear the microclimates are vast.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Feb.1,2009-MH-Thermal,Ca-84F;ML-Brownsville,Tx-57F and Key West,Fl-57F. Results-MH-Tx-25;Fl-22;Ca-11.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-47.5;Ca-7;Tx-5;Az-1.Other state highs include Edinburg 82,Marathon 75,Yuma 77 and Baton Rouge 71.Florida moves to freeze and the West heats up.

Feb.2,2009-MH-Fullerton,Ca-84F;ML-Ft.Lauderdale,Fl-66F.Results-MH-Tx-25;Fl-22;Ca-12.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-48.5;Ca-7;Tx-5;Az-1. Other state highs include West Palm 79,Weslaco 73,Yuma 77 and Houma-66.The coldest air of the year is headed to Florida promising a deep freeze.The West is on fire.

Feb.3,2009-MH-Riverside,Ca-84F;Key West,Fl-59F. Results-MH-Tx-25;Fl-22;Ca-13.5;Az-3;La-1;ML-Fl-49.5;Ca-7;Tx-5;Az-1.Other state highs include Ft. Lauderdale 72,Falfurrias 78,Phoenix 82 and Sulfur 68.On NWS site Getty Center reported 64F as low around 4PM but was listed as Missing this morning.Coldest air of the year is scheduled to hit Florida tonight threatening all-time lows.

Bubba, just for clarification. Threatening all time lows for the Date, not for the locale. I'd be facing a forecast low of 7F but in reality its 21, still within the USDA Zone designation (9a) for the Jacksonville area. Annoying and potentially damaging for sure, but nothing truly extraordinary. BTW, I love your tracking efforts! Florida is getting smoked, but there is time for a comeback! I predict we will.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Keith,Tongue and check,brother! I am glad somebody reads this jazz.

Feb.4,2009-MH-Bakersfield,Ca-84 andPhoenix,Az-84F;ML-Key West,Fl-55F. Results-MH-Tx-25,Fl-22,Ca-14,Az-3.5,La-1; Fl-50.5,Ca-7,Tx-5,Az-1.Other state highs include Laredo 79,Lake Charles 56 and Key West 71.High/lows were suprising.Palm Springs reported 58F on Nws site but WU reported 50F.Santa Monica reported 57F on NWS site but WU reported 50F.Phoenix and Yuma both reported 53F on WU,which was the closest Continental US to Key West. Brownsville reported 44F.Cold Dome is here in Florida today!

Feb.5,2009-MH-Tucson,Az-84F;ML-Los Angeles,Ca-55F. Results-MH-Tx-25;FL-22;Ca-14;Az-4.5;La-1;ML-Fl-50.5;Ca-8;Tx-5;Az-1. Other state highs include Ft.Lauderdale 62,Blythe 77,Laredo 81 and Nachitoches 64.

The low temperature race is interesting today.LA had the winner with 55F.However,given the severe Artic front experienced the High/Lows were close than expected. Key West recorded 47F(only 6 degrees above all-time record). In texas,Brownsville and Laredo reported 51 and 52 respectively.In Arizona,Yuma and Phoenix reported 51 and 52 respectively.Even on the coldest day in 15 plus years in Florida,only 8 degrees separated the MH.

The effect of the Artic air was by no means isolated just to Florida.West End and Freeport in the Bahamas reported lows of 51F as did Green Turtle,where snow was also observed in 1977.Havana,Cuba reported 46F,one degree lower than Key West.

Feb.6,2009-MH-Pecos,Tx-87F;ML-Brownsville,Tx-62F. Results-Tx-26;Fl-22;Ca-14;Az-4.5;La-1;ML-Fl-50.5;Ca-8;Tx-6;Az-1.Other state highs include Naples 70,Imperial 73,Gila Bend 75 and Lake Charles 73.Texas is heating up while Florida returns to normal.

8 more days of this. bubba can you compare this winter with the last winter when you finish ?

and thank you very to do this for us. its to me very interesting.

Edited by Cristóbal

TEMP. JAN. 21/10 C (69/50 F), AUG. 29/20 C (84/68 F). COASTAL DESERT, MOST DAYS MILD OR WARM, SUNNY AND DRY. YEARLY PRECIPITATION: 210 MM (8.2 INCHES). ZONE 11 NO FREEZES CLOSE TO THE OCEAN.

5845d02ceb988_3-copia.jpg.447ccc2a7cc4c6

Feb.7,2009-MH-Laredo,Tx-84F.;ML-Brownsville,Tx-66F. Results-MH-Tx-27;Fl-22;Ca-14;Az-4.5;La-1;ML-Fl-50.5;Ca-8;Tx-7;Az-1. Other state highs include Douglas 73,Tampa 73,Oroville 68 and Hammond 77.Texas is now on a roll and I do not expect any state to mount a sufficient run to put them in danger.California had a great run and I was suprised last year when the Southwest did not show up.They had a cool Winter last year like Florida did this year. Florida is back to normal,which will mean low 80 highs but that can't touch South Texas.This has really been a nice Winter for folks in South Florida,with many mid 70/mid 50 days/nights.That is perfect given the fact that we usually sweat profusely here even in the Winter many years.I hope the freeze damage is as limited as possible throughout the State.I still think we missed a major bullet.

As to ML, it is apparent that Florida is hard to top.Texas won today at 66F but Ft. Lauderdale reported 63F and even the station in the Intracoastal island in WPB/PB reported 64F.

Cristobal,Thank you for your interest. I will definitely do a wrap up around closing.(Feb.15) That also happens to be my oldest son's B-Day!

Florida can still catch TX in MH. TX is having a run of warm weather, but it could still be close, if a cold front comes through later this month. Most of our cold fronts are over though.

Feb.8,2008-MH-Boothville,La-91F;Brownsville, Tx-ML-67F;Results-MH-Tx-26;Fl-22;Ca-14;Az-4.5;La-2;ML-Fl-50.5;Ca-8;Tx-7;Az-1. Other state highs include Naples 76,Imperial 66,Falfurias 80 and Yuma 63.I am very suspicious of Boothville's high. It was recorded at a NWS station. Boothville is at the very Southern tip of La. Baton Rouge,to the North end,reported 79F so it is not complete left field stuff,I guess.This is subject to revision but I checked NWS before reporting.

ML was close. Ft lauderdale reported 66F and a weather station in the Intracoastal in WPB/PB also recorded 67F.

Jim,I need your help on Boothville. Remember Winter in this game ends Feb.15 and I find it highly doubtful anyone can touch Texas this year in MH.

Feb.8,2008-MH-Boothville,La-91F;Brownsville, Tx-ML-67F;Results-MH-Tx-26;Fl-22;Ca-14;Az-4.5;La-2;ML-Fl-50.5;Ca-8;Tx-7;Az-1. Other state highs include Naples 76,Imperial 66,Falfurias 80 and Yuma 63.I am very suspicious of Boothville's high. It was recorded at a NWS station. Boothville is at the very Southern tip of La. Baton Rouge,to the North end,reported 79F so it is not complete left field stuff,I guess.This is subject to revision but I checked NWS before reporting.

ML was close. Ft lauderdale reported 66F and a weather station in the Intracoastal in WPB/PB also recorded 67F.

Jim,I need your help on Boothville. Remember Winter in this game ends Feb.15 and I find it highly doubtful anyone can touch Texas this year in MH.

Bubba, according to the NWS, the high in New Orleans yesterday was 75F, so I am HIGHLY skeptical that boothville hit 91. There is no way. Boothville is SE of NO and is closer to the water, so is probably cooler than NO this time of year. Also you have TX going from 27 MH's to 26.

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/lix/

What was your TX high yesterday...it was fairly warm here.

Jim, I agree. Something is wrong in Boothville,La.MH is herby modified on Feb. 8,2009 as follows:

MH-Tx-28;Fl-22;Ca-14;Az-4.5;La-1

Feb. 9,2009-MH-Edinburg,Tx-86F;ML Brownsville,Tx-69F-Results-MH- Tx-29;Fl-22;Ca-14;Az-4.5;La-1;ML-Fl-50.5;Ca-8;Tx-8;Az-1. Congratulations to Texas on MH. They have closed out the field with only 6 days left. Other state highs include Naples 78,New Iberia 79,Imperial 64 and Gila Bend 68. In ML, Florida's best big station was 66f,with Will's in the Intracoastal near PB recording 69F.