IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

December weather

Tyrone

I'm spending the holidays in Escazú (San Jose) where it is considerably cooler than it was over on the coast in Manuel Antonio. The lower humidity here really makes a difference in how it feels.

Here's the Escazú forecast through the 31st.

Thurs High 25C/77F Low 19C/66F

Friday High 24C/75F Low 16C/61F

Sat High 25C/77F Low 15C/59F

Sun High 25C/77F Low 16C/61F

Mon High 25C/77F Low 17C/63F

Tues High 24C/75F Low 16C/61F

Wed High 24C/75F Low 15C/59F

Compared to the forecast for Manuel Antonio

Thurs High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Friday High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Sat High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Sun High 30C/86F Low 22C/72F

Mon High 30C/86F Low 21C/70F

Tues High 29C/84F Low 21C/70F

Wed High 31C/88F Low 22C/72F

That is really true Jeff. We spent 4 days in Escazu after our documents were stolen on the way back to San Jose before we could get a flight home to Manaus. In spite of the reason for the stay we did enjoy the place we were at. The nights were cool and you didn´t need any AC at all. And, it is a really nice area. And, Manuel Antonio was great as well. I should have my photos organized to post some pictures of the trip this weekend.

It has been raining a lot here. But, the afternoon it cleared up and down at one of the ports on the river it was a beautiful afternoon. The temperature was around 90 F I believe. The owner of this port called Super Terminais and he has coconuts planted all over the place. He brought them up from Bahia via his trucking company as large palms already.

post-188-1230336536_thumb.jpg

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Very true Scott but what fun would that be? :D

I received .75 inches of rain yesterday. With that and all this warmth, what's a glooming forecast dude to do?!

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

This is how December is shaping up here, taken from the eldersweather.com site.

"Perth has been abnormally cold recently, with 16 days in December being more than 2 degrees below average (only 4 have been more than 2 above average), and now it's about to get abnormally hot.

This month has so far seen a repeat of November, with a predominance of cool southerly winds keeping the hot interior air at Bay.

That's about the change however. A stationary synoptic pattern is developing which will see very hot easterlies funneled over the west between a high to south and a broad low pressure area near Tropical Cyclone Billy to the north.

Temperatures will climb into the high thirties (more than 10 degrees above average) by later in the week. They could reach the forties next week as models indicate a likely persistence of the hot easterlies.

Though the average maximum for Perth so far this month has been just under 27 degrees (2 below average), the forecast hot spell at the end of the month will give it a late boost.

Counter-intuitively though, the month is still likely to end up as the coolest in terms of daytime temperatures since 2005."

I'm going to make sure my sprinklers are working at 110%.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

The cold wave has arrived yesterday here... the coldest forecasted at this moment around new years eve and the night before that. The forecast gives milder weather for the beginning of januari.

Robbin

Southwest

I received .75 inches of rain yesterday. With that and all this warmth, what's a glooming forecast dude to do?!

You're supposed to enjoy the nice weather Ray! :lol:

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I'm spending the holidays in Escazú (San Jose) where it is considerably cooler than it was over on the coast in Manuel Antonio. The lower humidity here really makes a difference in how it feels.

Here's the Escazú forecast through the 31st.

Thurs High 25C/77F Low 19C/66F

Friday High 24C/75F Low 16C/61F

Sat High 25C/77F Low 15C/59F

Sun High 25C/77F Low 16C/61F

Mon High 25C/77F Low 17C/63F

Tues High 24C/75F Low 16C/61F

Wed High 24C/75F Low 15C/59F

Compared to the forecast for Manuel Antonio

Thurs High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Friday High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Sat High 31C/88F Low 21C/70F

Sun High 30C/86F Low 22C/72F

Mon High 30C/86F Low 21C/70F

Tues High 29C/84F Low 21C/70F

Wed High 31C/88F Low 22C/72F

That is really true Jeff. We spent 4 days in Escazu after our documents were stolen on the way back to San Jose before we could get a flight home to Manaus. In spite of the reason for the stay we did enjoy the place we were at. The nights were cool and you didn´t need any AC at all. And, it is a really nice area. And, Manuel Antonio was great as well. I should have my photos organized to post some pictures of the trip this weekend.

It has been raining a lot here. But, the afternoon it cleared up and down at one of the ports on the river it was a beautiful afternoon. The temperature was around 90 F I believe. The owner of this port called Super Terminais and he has coconuts planted all over the place. He brought them up from Bahia via his trucking company as large palms already.

Hi Don, yes it is much cooler and it's a nice change from the heat and humidity of the coast.

I look forward to seeing your photos. I have a few that I took of you, Raquel and Kai on the beach and in the pool.

I enjoyed your visit but it's a shame what happened on the way back to San Jose. Did you get your documents replaced?

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Ouch!

Recorded -4.2C/24.4F last night! Who can blow some warmer air to over here, because the forecast is not very good for the next couple day's/nights... i think this will be the coldest wave since winter 2004/2005.

Southwest

Jeff,

Interstingly enough Dan the lawyer sent me a note and someone found the bag we had the documents in with at least some of the stuff. At any rate we got things pretty much replaced.

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

You're supposed to enjoy the nice weather Ray! :lol:

I know it is hard Ray ,and totally out of character,but what Jeff said! :winkie::lol:

Scott

Titusville, FL

1/2 mile from the Indian River

USDA Zone COLD

Still hot and humid here. Afternoon thunderstorms every day...very tropical! Got pounded with 94mm of rain in 2 hours yesterday.

Here's some photos...

Storm Photos

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Many many awesome lightening photo opportunities over your way at the moment Daryl. Would love some of that action over here. No real thunderstorm activity is likely for a while here, just hot and blue skies. We got a solid 36C yesterday, and after a 21C night it's 38C today. Hopefully we'll get some convection forming over the west coast to at least produce a bit of cloud, and then maybe, just maybe, some thunderstorms. But I'm not counting on it.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

We are back to an Indian Summer here in So. Louisiana. If only it could stay this way for the rest of the winter. My palms could recover from the hurricanes. Keeping my fingers crossed.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Real hot here today too Tyrone. Currently in the garden it is 34.8C and 66% humidity, without any breeze. The UV forecast for today was 16 and it feels like it too...that sun is burning brightly! The forecast is for 'just an afternoon shower or thunderstorm' so we'll see what we get later.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Yet another thunderstorm today, but not as big as the last two day's storms. The one last night produced 18000 lightning strikes...is that enough for you Tyrone? :D

All of this rain and hot humid weather is great for the garden though.

I took this photo of the remains of today's storm after it blew through this evening...

post-42-1230636958_thumb.jpg

Daryl

It got to 39C today. Clouds brewed but no rain. 37C tomorrow, then 39C Thursday, 35C Friday, cooling to 30C for the weekend, then low thirties after that.

Tyrone

It didn't get as hot as predicted yesterday, but it still reached 35C. Going for 39C today but I think we'll go past 40C. It's a howling easterly out there now. I sure wish I had some of Daryl's humidity from QLD. 36C and 23C dewpoints must feel really sticky, but great for the palms. That's real tropicality.

Best regards

Tyrone

It got to 39C today. Clouds brewed but no rain. 37C tomorrow, then 39C Thursday, 35C Friday, cooling to 30C for the weekend, then low thirties after that.

Tyrone

Gonna be 39 here too. 39F that is.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

December was my third highest rain fall month. 15.78 inches, that's almost 40.6 cm. Nine inches came in one 8 hour period on December 11th.

Rain at Wai`anae Steve's Hale

Wai`anae Steve-------www.waianaecrider.com
Living in Paradise, Leeward O`ahu, Hawai`i, USA
Temperature range yearly from say 95 to 62 degrees F
Only 3 hurricanes in the past 51 years and no damage. No floods where I am, No tornados, No earthquakes
No moles, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, etc. Just the neighbors "wild" chickens

December was my third highest rain fall month. 15.78 inches, that's almost 40.6 cm. Nine inches came in one 8 hour period on December 11th.

Rain at Wai`anae Steve's Hale

400mm...that's a nice drop for the month...you'll be living in a rainforest before you know it!

Daryl