IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

I've been everywhere man

Walter John

Wal,

Love your humor you make it worth my visit to PT.

Looks like a great trip to Clayton's, tell him to keep the VBs cold I'll see him soon mate! :interesting: :interesting:

Cheers,

clark

I was completely straight until I started growing palms and met the rest of the ratpack. It's all their fault.

VBs ?

I don't think so.

Wal

Your clearly still straight up, just keep true and roots, last man standing get her.

VBs ? Victoira Bitters! Best brew mate! Or are you on 4X?

Keep growenum mate,

Clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

VB = Vomit Beer...wouldn't touch the stuff...sorry Victorians :lol:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

We'll have to get Dean to make a new rule that no-one is allowed to slang off about beers ,, it seems to be a sacred topic especially here down-under . Personally I prefer a cider , and used to nearly spew if I picked up a mates beer by mistake . But after suffering in US & Mexico I slowly got used to drinking the stuff .. they have XX and XXX over the border .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Hey Daryl, you got any more pics worth showing from the weekend ? I'm all out, none of the ones from the car (especially the two blondes in the SAAB) came out.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Darrel they weren't for you! :blink:

Cheers,

Clark

Evolution Palms-Cycads-Exoticas Nursery - We ship email us at - surferjr1234@hotmail.com - tel 858-775-6822

Darrel they weren't for you! :blink:

Cheers,

Clark

Clark, I was just adding my opinion...I know how Wal feels about VB... :mrlooney:

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

VB = chipper :lol:

Clark, I hope they weren't for me :sick: , Colin might like them, I think he and Michael are VB tippers.

So Daryl, more importantly, any more pics from Utopia ? you mean I only got my new shirt on film the once ? damn thing cost me 4 bucks.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Ah Wal, OK, here ya go...

post-42-1228296126_thumb.jpg

Here's a Joey growing next to a Chambey... The Chambey is the large leafed variety...(Houailou) although when Clayton obtained the seed it had another name??? Clayton may want to chime in here..I can't remember what it was...

post-42-1228296164_thumb.jpg

Dwarf Betel Nut

post-42-1228296552_thumb.jpg

Dypsis onilahensis var rottweiler..ask Mike (Newcal) about his friend...

post-42-1228296694_thumb.jpg

Heckyl looking in the mirror

post-42-1228296843_thumb.jpg

Jeckyl driving back...stop-start traffic and 34C heat... fun!

post-42-1228296909_thumb.jpg

regards,

Daryl

I don't remember seeing the Joey/Chambey. Better go back again.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Great OZ-PRA guys. Love it!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

post-42-1228296909_thumb.jpg

why you guys driving on the wrong side? :hmm:

That's because we're in the southern hemisphere and the roads go clockwise, I thought everyone knew that. :unsure:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Hi all,

Many thanks for all those pics from Utopia. Would like to add somethings about NC palms.

New Caledonian colour, Burretiokentia dumassii (is that how it's spelt ?)

dumasii in honor to Marc Dumas here.

Does he have any grandiflora too.

Basselinia from top of Mt Panie... is this gracilis or eriostachys? It has a much tougher leaf, different look and great colour when compared to some of the other forms at Utopia.

If this one is comming from Mt Panié It's eriostachys cause gracilis seems to be the one from Mandjelia. Have not seen any description till now.

This one could be a gracilis as it's normaly coming from Pic Mandjelia.

DSCF0031.JPG

I think pics you shown could be an eriostachys from Mt Panié but not from the top. Couldn't be sure.

Take a look at this pic from endemia. This one is from the top. That's a pretty particular form.

http://www.endemia.nc/plante/photo.php?code=7871

Did someone know if Clayton came here to collect seeds himself.

Does anyone have any pics from Clayton's Pritchardiopsis.

Here's a Joey growing next to a Chambey... The Chambey is the large leafed variety...(Houailou) although when Clayton obtained the seed it had another name??? Clayton may want to chime in here..I can't remember what it was...

Did he said "Kua".

Mat.

Edited by MatNC

Wow Mat. as usual, a great habitat pic! (the link)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Every time the Rat Pack post pics of their adventures, it excites me more and more about palms. How often does the Rat Pack go on the road? Are we talking several hours to get to these places?

Huntington Beach, CA

USDA Zone 10a/10b

Sunset Zone 24

Hi all,

Many thanks for all those pics from Utopia. Would like to add somethings about NC palms.

New Caledonian colour, Burretiokentia dumassii (is that how it's spelt ?)

dumasii in honor to Marc Dumas here.

Does he have any grandiflora too.

Basselinia from top of Mt Panie... is this gracilis or eriostachys? It has a much tougher leaf, different look and great colour when compared to some of the other forms at Utopia.

If this one is comming from Mt Panié It's eriostachys cause gracilis seems to be the one from Mandjelia. Have not seen any description till now.

This one could be a gracilis as it's normaly coming from Pic Mandjelia.

DSCF0031.JPG

I think pics you shown could be an eriostachys from Mt Panié but not from the top. Couldn't be sure.

Take a look at this pic from endemia. This one is from the top. That's a pretty particular form.

http://www.endemia.nc/plante/photo.php?code=7871

Did someone know if Clayton came here to collect seeds himself.

Does anyone have any pics from Clayton's Pritchardiopsis.

Did he said "Kua".

Mat.

Mat, I believe Marc Dumas gave Clayton the Burretiokentia seed.

We have 'Kua' floating around as a name here too. The name Clayton mentioned was different again.

regards,

Daryl

Every time the Rat Pack post pics of their adventures, it excites me more and more about palms. How often does the Rat Pack go on the road? Are we talking several hours to get to these places?

Joe, It all varies...

Darwin was a 90 minute drive to the airport, check-in,then 4 hour flight.

Rocky was a 7 hour drive

Clayton's is a 2:15 drive from the Gold Coast, but only 1:25 from Wal's

Either way, we have a great time! I wonder where the next one will be???

Daryl

Have a good look at this face, would you trust this man ?

post-51-1228038000_thumb.jpg

Not from the picture!

You are a great reporter Wal. Always with good fun, good pics and solid information!

Panié, panié.... it has a spectacular crownshaft. As far as I recall, Bassellinia gracilis growing on the top of Panié have entire or almost-entire blades. Why are the leaves of the one you have shown so split? And i spy it is seeding!?!? How old is it?

Wow Mat. as usual, a great habitat pic! (the link)

Thanks Bill. Unfortunately I lost all my pics of Cyphokentia macrostachya in habit. Will recover them soon normally. I Have some new pics to share from a trip I made last weekend. 2 days trip. 10 species. Most rarer were C.macrostachya B.sordida and B.grandiflora.

Mat, I believe Marc Dumas gave Clayton the Burretiokentia seed.

We have 'Kua' floating around as a name here too. The name Clayton mentioned was different again.

regards,

Daryl

Thanks for your additional informations Daryl.

To clarify about Houaïlou Chambey. Houaïlou is a town but is an area too including serveral little other towns. Kua is the right location. One of the right location but the main one to be more accurate. I'm very intereted in the name Clayton said. Koh or Kouaoua are other possibilities.

Panié, panié.... it has a spectacular crownshaft. As far as I recall, Bassellinia gracilis growing on the top of Panié have entire or almost-entire blades. Why are the leaves of the one you have shown so split? And i spy it is seeding!?!? How old is it?

That was what I wanted to said in my first post too. I agree whith Carlo this one couldn't normally be from top of Mt Panié.

Mat.