IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycads-n-Palms.com - George Sparkman

John in Andalucia

Cycads-n-Palms.com - George Sparkman  

57 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

First time at George's place this morning. He's a great guy and grows some awesome plants. He's got some of the biggest pot grown cycads I've ever seen and they are flawless. Thanks again George for showing me around and for the free advice. I can't wait to go there again when I have some more time.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 1 year later...

I visited George last weekend. Nice guy, who taught me some interesting things about palms. He's got some pretty rare stuff, and it's all hardened off to the Fallbrook climate. Excellent prices. I'd go back for sure.

• 1 year later...

I was working in my garden today & noted the many beautiful palms I have purchased from George over the years, not to mention the exceptional cycads.  I have always been able to drop palms from George's Fallbrook nursery, straight into the ground without having to wait for them to acclimate.  When it comes to the cycads, George's "farm" approach with huge inventory, allows him to offer not only the "type" of a species, but also the atypical, unusual and exceptional plants.  George is a great guy, who has taught me a lot about.  I always look forward to visiting his nursery, partially just to spend some time with George even though I know he is busy.  George does travel, but it's worth the weight to schedule a time when he is available!  A very nice Pseudophoenix sargentii ssp saonae var navassana with some cycads I purchased a while back from George.

20160226-104A1061 Pseudophoenix sargentii.jpg

• Upvote 3

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

• 6 months later...

I was wondering if anyone has had trouble getting in touch with this seller lately? I saw that they updated their for sale list and have since emailed at least four times, called at least three times, and have left messages over the last month to no avail. Is there a magic handshake or something, lol?

22 hours ago, kirkhutch said:

I was wondering if anyone has had trouble getting in touch with this seller lately? I saw that they updated their for sale list and have since emailed at least four times, called at least three times, and have left messages over the last month to no avail. Is there a magic handshake or something, lol?

I've never had any response either - I gave up.  No idea how to get in touch, and no idea whether they ship.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 4 weeks later...

I think he has been travelling a lot lately.  Great, knowledgeable guy with an amazing operation but I've had the same experience trying to coordinate a visit.  He is usually responsive so maybe it's just a temporary thing.

• 11 months later...
On 10/19/2016, 8:09:07, RichAZ said:

I think he has been traveling a lot lately.  Great, knowledgeable guy with an amazing operation but I've had the same experience trying to coordinate a visit.  He is usually responsive so maybe it's just a temporary thing.

You do have to plan ahead, and get in touch with George.  He does a good deal of traveling and also manages his large avocado ranch, so it is different than going to a "typical" retail nursery.  While the palm inventory isn't quite as large as in the past, his diverse offering of Cycads, both in species and size is worth the patience if you have them on your list.  I just picked up a well grown Dypsis psammophila, along with a couple of cycads, and a companion tree on my most recent visit.  Bottom line if you are in the market for any Encephalartos species (inventory for sale on his monthly price list), you owe it to yourself to schedule a time with him.  You won't be disappointed with how well grown his plants are, the diversity of offerings, his knowledge of the species and the prices.

• Upvote 1

On 10/14/2017, 3:18:42, Tracy said:

You do have to plan ahead, and get in touch with George.  He does a good deal of traveling and also manages his large avocado ranch, so it is different than going to a "typical" retail nursery.  While the palm inventory isn't quite as large as in the past, his diverse offering of Cycads, both in species and size is worth the patience if you have them on your list.  I just picked up a well grown Dypsis psammophila, along with a couple of cycads, and a companion tree on my most recent visit.  Bottom line if you are in the market for any Encephalartos species (inventory for sale on his monthly price list), you owe it to yourself to schedule a time with him.  You won't be disappointed with how well grown his plants are, the diversity of offerings, his knowledge of the species and the prices.

Well said!

• 3 months later...

Just planted a nice Coccothrinax borhidiana hybrid (unknown cross), which I picked up from Mr. Sparkman.  Lot's of choices and some great help from George in selecting the right plant for my space.  Also picked up a beautiful 5 gallon Encephalartos ituriensis to fill a specific spot in my garden.  George had every Encephalartos species I could want to select from, but helped me pick the right species to fill my spot's specific goals.  Thank you George for once again, coming through with a great plant and fantastic suggestions on how best to select the plant for the spot!

20180210-104A8553-2.jpg

20180210-104A8559.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I purchased a few cycads from George a few months ago, great price, great plants and great guy. Highly recommend.  

• 1 month later...
On 2/10/2018, 9:30:08, Tracy said:

Just planted a nice Coccothrinax borhidiana hybrid (unknown cross), which I picked up from Mr. Sparkman.  Lot's of choices and some great help from George in selecting the right plant for my space.  Also picked up a beautiful 5 gallon Encephalartos ituriensis to fill a specific spot in my garden.  George had every Encephalartos species I could want to select from, but helped me pick the right species to fill my spot's specific goals.  Thank you George for once again, coming through with a great plant and fantastic suggestions on how best to select the plant for the spot!

20180210-104A8553-2.jpg

20180210-104A8559.jpg

That cocco is freaking AWESOME!!!!

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 1 year later...

Just heard that George Sparkman has died.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.