IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Voanioala  gerardii

Jeff Searle

Bruce,

That is the same response I received from the USDA when I emailed them regarding these seeds, and lemurophoenix seeds. No special import permit needed

besides the regular agricultural permit I already have. They must be accompanied by a permit from the country of origin.

Mike

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

(Zac in NC @ Mar. 23 2007,20:59)

Mike- Are you planning to move someplace warmer eventually. Lemurophoenix in OH? Wow.

Thanks for the pics, guys. This is an interesting thread.

Zac

Zac,

I don't have any Lemurs, I had one germinate in November but it did not make it. I am hoping for more germinations. I would LOVE to move to someplace warmer, but taking care of my parents is more important. Untill I can move, I will just keep the power companys profits rolling in. At least they help heat the house in the winter :D

Mike

post-223-1174702421_thumb.jpg

Zone 5? East Lansing MI

:) Hi Bruce

If we go back to a thread ,"Super Agg" ,I was letting people know

theres a heck of a lot of changes soon to be inforced .

We're copping them right now,There Super lists of

what soon will be made uniform world wild.

Only if seeds are C.V, & be 2nd Generation can the be moved. Anything harvested in wild has a  'W' thats

the big Full Stop There,Only if ya want to move them

illeally and also, make a false statement, Well thats up

to who ever wants to do, But Be Very Careful.  

I understand what there telling you,But it's not working

that way at all. We've had some 'sp'  named ones completely removed

from what we use to be able to import,not on the list,

Now A submission must be made, money paid and along

time b4 anythings done.

{Still need to include movement advises}

Your guys U.S.D.A/ has being trailing things over here

4 ages.

Ask the officer to sign that paper work Stating that,

B4 He finds out He's not up to date,

Give him my Email I'd allow that,{ Of course get what you

need in writing First.} :)

Regards Mike.E.

P.S.

Thats when seeds will go missing soon, don't get me

wrong guys, I know what there saying to ya and understand ,you may find more go than ever b4.

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

• 3 years later...

Jerry,

This was the only picture of one of two palms that we saw. They were basically the same size also.

Christian,

This was definitely a Forest Coconut. It was confirmed by Pete Balasky, Bill Beatie( Australia) and our local guide. We saw Marojejya insignis growing up in the Marojejy Mtns. earlier. They are completely different in looks.

Ron,

This large speciman was one of only 2 palms growing in cultivation out in full sun. The area was a steep hill side, and where further up the mountain there is a small population in habitat growing.Bill, Pete and a guide has visited this population earlier on another trip.

This small speciman is growing in my yard, here in South Florida. It was planted about 4 years ago and is 2 feet tall now. It has been slow growing, but after removing some heliconia leaves away from it earlier this summer, it has responded well and is growing a little faster now . It is not the largest plant in the ground, but I am extreamly pleased and will be planting more in the ground next year. My soil is a rich organic type and gets plenty of water as needed.

Jeff - any chance we can get a new picture. It would be interesting to see how much it has grown in two years? rolleyes.gif

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

• 1 year later...

Just finished reading this thread and can't help but feel the same way Jeff does about Voaniola making its way into cultivation for the sake of its long term survival. Can anyone post photos of their palm? I gather this palm doesn't do too well in Southern California... Probably not so good in Florida either? Is Hawaii one of the only places it's making it? Australia, maybe?

Just finished reading this thread and can't help but feel the same way Jeff does about Voaniola making its way into cultivation for the sake of its long term survival. Can anyone post photos of their palm? I gather this palm doesn't do too well in Southern California... Probably not so good in Florida either? Is Hawaii one of the only places it's making it? Australia, maybe?

Where are all the collectors with this palm??? :indifferent:

Here's a pic of my Voanioala, been in the ground for about a year now. Not as slow as I thought and so far an easy grow. Full sun, well drained slope, and of course lots of

rainfall.

post-1300-040313000 1332427234_thumb.jpg

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's a pic of my Voanioala, been in the ground for about a year now. Not as slow as I thought and so far an easy grow. Full sun, well drained slope, and of course lots of

rainfall.

post-1300-040313000 1332427234_thumb.jpg

Very nice, and thank you for the comments about it being easy for you. Anyone trying this palm in South Florida?

I have seen Voanioala gerardii "growing" in two San Diego County gardens -- they were alive, and that was considered a victory by their owners. But they didn't look anywhere near as healthy as Tim's in Hilo. I have 2 in 5-gal pots in Hawaii -- one is growing noticeably faster than the other even though they are right next to each other (identical conditions). It will be interesting to see if that continues once in the ground.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

• 1 year later...

:greenthumb: if anyone has pictures of the two in san diego gardens It would be great to see pictures and hear how they are planted thanks in advance

Kim - have they made it into the ground yet?

Here you go, Moose: this is the larger of the two upon planting, December 21, 2012

post-216-0-10616700-1377987952_thumb.jpg

And the same palm more recently, July 23, 2013

post-216-0-42060700-1377988428_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Kim - have they made it into the ground yet?

Here you go, Moose: this is the larger of the two upon planting, December 21, 2012

attachicon.gif2012-12-21 016.JPG

And the same palm more recently, July 23, 2013

attachicon.gifDSC_0187.jpg

Kim, sorry to jump the cue and post before Moose, but the growth you get there is "out of this World", its already a "great looking palm". WOW, thanks for update. Pete :)

post-5709-0-50609100-1377989144.jpg

post-5709-0-77232200-1377989145.jpg

Good lord Kim, what are you feeding that thing? That's some good growth for such a 's l o w' palm.

The one I showed a pic of earlier is chugging along, but hasn't had the growth spurt yours has experienced.

post-1300-0-75064700-1378007077_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

WOW ! KIm take thing is growing like crazy I am going down and show this to mine in the grown right now and tell it this what you are suppose to look like. NOW GET MOVING :rant::rant:

• Upvote 1

it must be the Greta Garbo palm, "I vant to be let alone!" I'm doing nothing special for it at all, as an absentee grower.

Kim Cyr

Wonder if some roots have found that mound behind and said "right" its time for a "Home run" ? :)

post-5709-0-24063000-1378011252.jpg

post-5709-0-14128500-1378011254.jpg

• Upvote 1

Mahatma Gandhi ..."Live as if you were going to die tomorrow...Learn as if you were going to live forever".... but he probably meant to say Garden

Great quote

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

My "fast" Voanioala continues to outpace its twin brother planted on the other side of the plastic. Both palms have access to that mound of soil, I suppose, yet this one is a relative rocket. I have no explanation except that there is variability among plants of a single species. -- AND this palm gives me a thrill every time I look at it! :)

...to be fair, all my palms give me a thrill. :lol:

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

If I can do it, anybody should be able to. I acquired three germinated seeds from California in July 2006. One plant died in the pot from budrot, but the other two were planted out in full Hilo sun, one in April 2012, the other in July 2012. The pic is of the larger one, planted in April.

post-279-0-26383400-1378070044_thumb.jpg

The plant always seems to be putting up a new leaf, but overall has not been a fast grower.

Of interest might be the one in the old Sullivan garden, imaged in December 2009:

post-279-0-77816700-1378070077_thumb.jpg

God knows what has happened to it since a developer bought the property.

• Upvote 1

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

• 2 years later...

I have seen some here and there, I have one plugging along  overpotted in a 15 gal. I can verify they appear to be cool hardy in pots, but once in the ground here in So Cal it seems to be a crap shoot... recent pics would be awesome.. I may even post mine..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

I have seen some here and there, I have one plugging along  overpotted in a 15 gal. I can verify they appear to be cool hardy in pots, but once in the ground here in So Cal it seems to be a crap shoot... recent pics would be awesome.. I may even post mine..

I hope you do post an update.  Very curious to see how yours is growing.  

Found out last night that another SoCal Palmtalker has had one in the ground for a number of years and it is doing very well.  I will let him post his if he so chooses.  This is one that hasn't been mentioned before.

Bill do you think if it was planted high in very loose soil it would improve the odds in the ground?

Here's my larger one again, after three years. 5-gal bucket for scale.

57361454b2d19_Voanioalagerardii_MLM_0428

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

Hello All,

I posted this photo in another V. gerardii thread awhile back, last year sometime, but it's still spectacular. It's grown quite a bit since the pic Mike posted above

back in 2009. I should be able to update it's progress in a couple of weeks from now. 

Tim

IMG_0505_2.jpg

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here's an update of the 'slow as molasses' one in my garden, although it does seem to be moving a bit faster after 5.5 years in the ground from a 

five gallon pot. Still problem free and one of those palms you just leave alone. 

Tim

P1020851.jpg

P1020852.jpg

P1020872.jpg

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

This has to be the slowest plant in my garden!  Great story behind this palm.  In 2010 I was in Oceanside picking up basic king palms from Mark M and he was generous enough to gift me one as I was just getting into palms.  It went it the ground shortly thereafter.  I believe it came from Clark and it started in one of those citrus pots.  For some reason the palm was loose for first several years and wobbled but it appears to have settled in.  

vg222.thumb.jpg.64f5ea8edfd9fce228092640

vg333.thumb.jpg.586c20b4f90d0195902fe183

vg111.thumb.jpg.321a31a918cc34e35c695a50

• Like 1

Compared to the recent beauties posted recently, I'm almost embarrassed to post mine in its 15 gal pot. However since it sat outside all winter and I'm rarely actually embarrassed, here you go...

Tim, I like that we both used water bottles for scale today! hahaha

20160513_193627.thumb.jpg.437a5f3b009c87

Adam, as for your query, I suspect so, but still not sure what is best, or like Kim's palms, it will just take a superior one here to make it. Sadly, I may have had some of those years back from Clark. I picked up some big ones, paid dearly and was shocked that they would sit out all winter and just do fine and keep growing, but at some point they were sitting in the front yard and the weeds overtook them. When I finally spotted them again, they had gone too long without water. But even then they still hung on quite some time..

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Nesh, I hate to say it, but from those pics it does not look like a Voaniola... maybe different pics would prove different. Looks very nice though!! Does it still have the seed nearby?

Nesh, looks more like a Syagrus. Not a Voanioala.

Bill, we need to start using whiskey bottles.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

6 hours ago, realarch said:

Hello All,

I posted this photo in another V. gerardii thread awhile back, last year sometime, but it's still spectacular. It's grown quite a bit since the pic Mike posted above

back in 2009. I should be able to update it's progress in a couple of weeks from now. 

Tim

thats great 

10 hours ago, realarch said:

Nesh, looks more like a Syagrus. Not a Voanioala.

Bill, we need to start using whiskey bottles.

Tim

It does indeed look like Syagrus, possibly botryophora; maybe psuedococos. Voanioala leaves split very early on. Nice palm regardless though!

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

18 hours ago, NESH said:

This has to be the slowest plant in my garden!  Great story behind this palm.  In 2010 I was in Oceanside picking up basic king palms from Mark M and he was generous enough to gift me one as I was just getting into palms.  It went it the ground shortly thereafter.  I believe it came from Clark and it started in one of those citrus pots.  For some reason the palm was loose for first several years and wobbled but it appears to have settled in.  

vg222.thumb.jpg.64f5ea8edfd9fce228092640

vg333.thumb.jpg.586c20b4f90d0195902fe183

vg111.thumb.jpg.321a31a918cc34e35c695a50

Jawad, the story is right, but the palm isn't. Maybe with all those palms you have planted the real one is still in that jungle,of yours somewhere :)

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

35 minutes ago, LJG said:

Jawad, the story is right, but the palm isn't. Maybe with all those palms you have planted the real one is still in that jungle,of yours somewhere :)

Are pseudococos and botraphorya slow growers when young?

Easiest way I could describe I think or look for is it IS a heeled palm that will try a bit to tiller down. The stem so far out o the ground and the non-bifid leafs was the clue.

38 minutes ago, BS Man about Palms said:

Easiest way I could describe I think or look for is it IS a heeled palm that will try a bit to tiller down. The stem so far out o the ground and the non-bifid leafs was the clue.

I was really hoping for a Voanioala.  I have a palm that is identical to Jawad's.  It is slooooow.  Got it from Darian's place.  In fact, I think you and Len tried to ID it the day I got it.  The thinking was a Syagrus or Pritchardia.  

But we were all scratching our heads.  So when Jawad raised Voanioala as a possibility, naturally I got STOKED!  Still struggling with the Syagrus or Pritchardia thought as this thing hasn't moved a muscle since the first Darian sale a few months ago.

Picture, my lad, picture! :)

It has the look of Syagrus botryophora. Pritchardias obviously have the strap leaves when young, but usually begin losing them by this stage. Every Syagrus I've ever grown from seedlings are really, really slow; taking what seems forever to go pinnate. I have S. amaras that took 6-7 years to go pinnate. Botryophora & psuedococos seem to go pinnate within about 4-5 years, at least in SoCal. We're just a lot cooler than where they're from, so everything happens at a much slower pace.

• Upvote 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"