IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

JD Andersen Nursery - Jerry Andersen

PALM MOD

44 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE ABOVE RULES BEFORE REGISTERING FEEDBACK.

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Many rare gems of various sizes can be found at Jerrys. While the health of some may vary with the fairly rare, many good bargains can be had. Its always worth the trek up to Fallbrook, and to see Dan too! :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

JD Andersen Nursery shipped seeds and seedlings to me Spain, and running a palm business, I both recommend and value them highly.

I placed an order with Jerry and everything looked great except one plant looked bad. I called and with no fuss at all I shipped it back and It was credited back to me the same day. Customer service when I was not 100 percent happy is what seperates people in my book. I will order again.

Tom

With a tin cup for a chalice

Fill it up with good red wine,

And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

I have bought palms from Jerry many times over the years and some of my nicest palms have come from his nurseries both here in Fallbrook and on the big island of Hawaii. He is a very knowledgeable plantsman and has an awesome Aroid collection in Hawaii as well! Great nurseries and very nice person as well!

Stevo

Urban Rainforest Palms,Cycads and Exotics. Were in San Diego Ca. about 5 miles from the beach on Tecolote canyon. It seems to be an ideal growing climate with moderate temps. and very little frost. Vacation Rental in Leilani Estates, big island Hi PM me if interested in staying there.

I've been out to the Fallbrook nursery 4-5 times, and have always been happy with the service and the plants. I've received good advice and they've always taken the time to talk with me and offer good suggestions. I'll be back!

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

I once arranged a purchase by phone, and after picking up the palms and driving home, discovered one of the palms was not what I had arranged for. A phone call, some Q & A, and we got it sorted out with satisfaction for both of us. To err is human, to correct the error is good business. I would not hesitate to buy from them again.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I bought some palms from from Jd, this summer,and healhty beautiful plants arrived in excellent condition,and I would buy again,with no worries from JD nursery.

On the other hand when I was ordering this plants I told jerry the seeds I had bought from him at Xmas time

Orange crush,Fine leaf dypsis and Licuala Orp. none had popped as of 6 months,these have been a greenhouse kept moist with night time temps of 65* to Daytime temps of close top 90* and next month will be a year,and still no seds have germinated as of yet,I will give them to the new year before I dispose of them to the compost pile,for I can use the spave for other seeds.

So in response I will have to give a neutral rating.

Don

Don Bryan

I have been collecting and landscaping with Palms and Bromrliads for over 20yrs so I'm not new to this. I have bought from most of the growers in Southern California over the years. Taking nothing away from the rest of the growers I feel that JD Andersen Nursury is the best overall. Jerry and Dan certainly know as much about the product as anyone I've dealt with and are able to site examples of any given Palm that is growing in the area. If you want to try a Dypsis Hawaiian Punch for example, they will tell you where ones growing. That's very helpful in making a decision to plant or not. They have a large assortment of Palms including the latest greatest new thing. They are very nice to deal with and have the expertise as well. With all of that and competitive pricing they have my vote and business.

I also want to say that my Wife and I had the pleasure of staying in their rental home in Hawaii on the Big Island. Not only is it a bargin but you get a great house in the middle of a Rainforest that is in one of the best Botanical gardens I've seen. If you have the great fortune of going to Hawaii be sure and stay there if you love Palms and other tropicals. One more thing.......thanks to Jerry's wife Cindy for her hospitality in Hawaii. We will be back next year

post-1545-1228006445_thumb.jpg

Dean Slater

San Clemente, CA

Drpalm@cox.net

I have bought about a couple of hundred plants from JDA Nursery over the years, and have been happy with all of them. The lion's share were purchased to grow on and sell when I was in "the business" myself.

It's well worth the schlep out to the place to check it out. Both Mr. Anderson and his sons are very helpful and knowledgeable.

If I had a dollar for eveyone I'd sent there . . . . .I'd be pretty well off.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I have bought two palms from Dan Andersen on eBay. The palms Dan sells on eBay are extremely healthy and robust. I definitely recommend Dan and JD Andersen Nursery.

Cincinnati, Ohio USA & Mindo, Ecuador

• 2 weeks later...

We drove down last January, in the driving rain, to Fallbrook. The road was rutted, muddy and full of twists and turns. No one was at the nursery when we got there. Odin, the largest black dog I had seen up to that time, was barking madly around the Subaru after I dashed back in.

Dan, JD's son, emerged from the mist and spent at least two hours wandering around-in the rain- showing us all sorts of plants and being very helpful. We got three palms that are all doing well, almost a year later. Odin never left my side the whole time. Great dog. :)

I drove from Hollywood-at least 2 and a half hours one way- and would gladly do it again. The selection is amazing, prices very fair and the knowledge was flawless.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

• 1 month later...

I've bought the majority of my palms from JD anderson. Not just because they are in Fallbrook (like me) but because the prices and selection is always great. I would recommend them to anyone looking for good palms at affordable prices.

• 8 months later...

Most of my palms are from this nursery. Before I spend money I always look for the best option. In SoCal for palms(for me) it's JDA nursery.

Plus they are good guys with a wonderful knowledge base to learn from.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

• 5 months later...

Hello, all -

top recommendation for Dan, too. :) Nobody else but him ships internationally without problems. Very rare specimen and my key source for the L. hoehnei.

Perfect handling, top communication, very cooperative.

JD Andersen Nursery get full marks.

Best regards, Verena

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Placed an order on 4/23, still have not received the package. Tried emailing a few times, only have had two responses in over a month both saying he will ship that week and then never does. Haven't had a response from him in over two weeks. Completely disappointed, wouldn't mind the wait,but there is no communication.

Blake

• 6 months later...

Placed an order on 4/23, still have not received the package. Tried emailing a few times, only have had two responses in over a month both saying he will ship that week and then never does. Haven't had a response from him in over two weeks. Completely disappointed, wouldn't mind the wait,but there is no communication.

Similar experience with me. I did get palms, but he kept having to re suggest other palms from what I wanted. He said first selection wasn't in great shape due to lack of water....so made suggestion, then emailed me back to let me know he ended up not having any. All this went on over a period of 3 weeks or so and was almost comical. In the end I did get a 1 gallon Nicobar Palm and a 1 gallon Ptychosperma waitianum. The P. waitianum wasn't in the best of shape with a lot of leaf spotting but looks great now and has pushed one new frond in a Hawaiian punch color. I liked the fact I was able to order palms in their pots which I prefer.