IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Jungle Music - Phil Bergman

PALM MOD

99 members have voted

1. 1. RATE THIS GROWER

• POSITIVE - I have had a positive experience and would recommend this grower. (Comment Optional)
    • NEGATIVE - I have had a negative experience and would not recommend this grower (Comment Required)

PLEASE READ AND UNDERSTAND THE ABOVE RULES BEFORE REGISTERING FEEDBACK.

Edit: Info from Phil Bergman - Owner of Jungle Music

In response to Dean's request, I will provide the following information regarding Jungle Music Palms and Cycads:

1. Length In Business: 31 years, San Diego and Encinitas, CA, USA
2. California Nursery License: yes
3. Encinitas Business License: yes
4. San Diego Business License: yes
5. State Resale Liscense: yes
6. Federal Nursery Stock Importers License: yes, commercial
7. Pesticide Applicator's License: yes
8. Regular Agriculture Inspection Program by County/State: yes
9. Agricutlural Product Inspection Program for Interstate Shipments to customers: yes
10. Federal Tax ID Number: yes
11. State Tax ID Number: yes
12. Pesticide Application Monthly Reports: yes
13. Fictious Name Permit: yes
15. State Motor Carrier's License for Nursery Transport: yes
16. Water Runnoff Inspections: yes
17. Water Backflow Prevention: yes
18. Hiring of Only Legal Employees: yes
19. Payroll taxes paid on All Payroll: yes
20. Workman Comp Insurance: yes
21. All Sales Booked and Reported as Income: yes
22. Sales Tax Charged when Required: yes
23. Undeclared Cash Sales/Undeclared Income from Sales: no
24. Liability Insurance: yes
25. Unemployment Insurance: yes
26. Employement Education Courses/Programs Required by Law: yes
27. Phytosanitary Permits Sent with All Interstate Shipments When Required: yes
28. International Phyto Permits: not applicable, no international shipments
29. Customer Relations Program: yes
30. Customer Followup When Possible: yes
31. Refunds When Applicable (or Replacements): yes
32. Required Paperwork with All Shipped Plants: yes
33. AFFILIATIONS
International Palm Society
Palm Society of Southern California
Cycad Society (American)
Cycad Society South Africa (Encephalartos)
Nurseryman's Association
Quail Botanical Gardens
PACSOA (inactive)
Master Gardeners, speaker
Many Others
34. Positions Held:
IPS: President, Vice President, Director
PSSC, President, Vice President, Director, Area Chairman
35: Articles Written/Pubished on Plants;
Over 50 articles on palms or cycads during career
36. Community Services
Donations of plants to many plant societies
Donations plants to many botanical gardens
College Student Education programs on palms and cycads
Speaker and Host of many Garden Society visits/meetings at Nursery
Public Garden Consultations on plant and horticultural issues
Hosting of Community Events
Home Garden Tours, IPS and PSSC
Donations for Municipal Benefit Programs
Horticultural Information provided this discussion group
many others
37. Website: yes, one of first on palms and cycads in the world
38. Website Informational Material Offered: yes, many articles, advice, etc.
39. News Coverage: Extensive, click on link below:
NEWS COVERAGE JUNGLE MUSIC
40. This is enough for now

So, why do I print this here? Because sometimes people think that all there is to having a "nursery" is germinating seeds and posting an ad. Running an actual nursery is umbelievably time and labor consuming, and also very expensive. Very few do it legally or follow legal and ethical requirements. Many don't even have a nursery license. We at Jungle Music always attempt to run an ethical, legal, and exciting nursery with good customers relations, service, and beautiful plants. I invite others to post similar information about their operations.

Phil

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Phil and his employees grow awesome plants. I have bought several things from Phil and will continue to do so. His plants are very healthy and can be nice sized if you spend the time to look around. I would recommend Jungle Music to anyone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

In recent years the quality of plants offered by Phil and the JM crew have become hard to beat. A truly top notch operation in which its almost impossible to find a plant in poor health! A superior website and sage advise given freely.

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Phil has a mind boggling selection of plants that are in great health with a good selection of sizes. To top it off, the staff that he has is knowledgeable and very accommodating wiling to spend the time to make sure you find what you are looking for.

Don

• Upvote 1

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Phil and Jessie organised palms for me when visiting, put aside some very rare palms for me and allowed some other people to leave some palms with them for pick up. Also their hospitality was great, we had a very enjoyable afternoon. Now this may not sound to unusual but he was putting them aside for me to take back to Australia, by the way, just got the survivors from Quarantine after 2 years

regards

Colin

• Upvote 2

coastal north facing location

100klm south of Sydney

NSW

Australia

The best hands down. Phil and Jesse grow great plants,good prices( an overgrown 5 gal is still a 5 gal price). Take time to answer any questions. Also just a great place to hang out and talk palms,cycads or whatever with a great crew. First class all the way.

• Upvote 1

San Marcos CA

The web site is a very useful information source. The nursery will almost always have that rare item you seek, and plants are clean and healthy. Knowledgeable and friendly staff always take time to answer questions even on the busiest days.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Love 'em. Great place to hang out too. Phil always loves to spend time talking palms.

• Like 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I never have enough time to go down every aisle. 2 hours is not enough time.

The palm's are grown in such an ideal environment, some might need to be acclimated to sun slowly. I learned this by burning a few leaves last winter. The palms all bounced back and looked fine by summer.

I voted positive by the way!

• Like 1

Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22

7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)

Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)

Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

Excellent plants, excellent people. Another socal grower you can't go wrong with.

Matt

• Like 1

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

In response to Dean's request, I will provide the following information regarding Jungle Music Palms and Cycads:

1. Length In Business: 31 years, San Diego and Encinitas, CA, USA

2. California Nursery License: yes

3. Encinitas Business License: yes

4. San Diego Business License: yes

5. State Resale Liscense: yes

6. Federal Nursery Stock Importers License: yes, commercial

7. Pesticide Applicator's License: yes

8. Regular Agriculture Inspection Program by County/State: yes

9. Agricutlural Product Inspection Program for Interstate Shipments to customers: yes

10. Federal Tax ID Number: yes

11. State Tax ID Number: yes

12. Pesticide Application Monthly Reports: yes

13. Fictious Name Permit: yes

15. State Motor Carrier's License for Nursery Transport: yes

16. Water Runnoff Inspections: yes

17. Water Backflow Prevention: yes

18. Hiring of Only Legal Employees: yes

19. Payroll taxes paid on All Payroll: yes

20. Workman Comp Insurance: yes

21. All Sales Booked and Reported as Income: yes

22. Sales Tax Charged when Required: yes

23. Undeclared Cash Sales/Undeclared Income from Sales: no

24. Liability Insurance: yes

25. Unemployment Insurance: yes

26. Employement Education Courses/Programs Required by Law: yes

27. Phytosanitary Permits Sent with All Interstate Shipments When Required: yes

28. International Phyto Permits: not applicable, no international shipments

29. Customer Relations Program: yes

30. Customer Followup When Possible: yes

31. Refunds When Applicable (or Replacements): yes

32. Required Paperwork with All Shipped Plants: yes

33. AFFILIATIONS

International Palm Society

Palm Society of Southern California

Cycad Society (American)

Cycad Society South Africa (Encephalartos)

Nurseryman's Association

Quail Botanical Gardens

PACSOA (inactive)

Master Gardeners, speaker

Many Others

34. Positions Held:

IPS: President, Vice President, Director

PSSC, President, Vice President, Director, Area Chairman

35: Articles Written/Pubished on Plants;

Over 50 articles on palms or cycads during career

36. Community Services

Donations of plants to many plant societies

Donations plants to many botanical gardens

College Student Education programs on palms and cycads

Speaker and Host of many Garden Society visits/meetings at Nursery

Public Garden Consultations on plant and horticultural issues

Hosting of Community Events

Home Garden Tours, IPS and PSSC

Donations for Municipal Benefit Programs

Horticultural Information provided this discussion group

many others

37. Website: yes, one of first on palms and cycads in the world

38. Website Informational Material Offered: yes, many articles, advice, etc.

39. News Coverage: Extensive, click on link below:

NEWS COVERAGE JUNGLE MUSIC

40. This is enough for now

So, why do I print this here? Because sometimes people think that all there is to having a "nursery" is germinating seeds and posting an ad. Running an actual nursery is umbelievably time and labor consuming, and also very expensive. Very few do it legally or follow legal and ethical requirements. Many don't even have a nursery license. We at Jungle Music always attempt to run an ethical, legal, and exciting nursery with good customers relations, service, and beautiful plants. I invite others to post similar information about their operations.

Phil

• Upvote 2

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

Hmm.

An early New year's resolution . . . .

Go down to Jungle Music and get some plants!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Phil is the guy that got me roped into this crazy obsession. I have never been able to "visit" without getting something, despite my best efforts. The selection is almost unending, the plants look as happy as it's possible to look. Phil, Jessie and all the crew are knowledgeble and honest. If they think a plant's going to be tough to grow in your area, they'll tell you. Come to think of it, that's the first question they ask; "What part of town do you live in?" The only problem is that the selection is so huge, I feel like a kid in a toy store that's been told he can only have one toy. (Usually, by my wife. "But I don't know which one to get!!!") Seriously, the plants are generally Southern California "hardened", and acclimate quickly to outdoor living. This is important, since I don't own a greenhouse. Finally, I have been self employed most of my life, so I can judge another business owner pretty easily. Your customers are your livlihood, period. The way Phil runs all aspects of his business proves that he understands this relationship with his customers completely. It shows.

Bret

• Like 1

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

It's always educational, fun and a feast for the senses at Jungle Music. Everyone is very helpful, Phil is a wonderful font of knowledge and I'm always tempted to buy more than my budget will allow.

David

Hollywood Hills West, Los Angeles, CA USA

Southwest facing canyon | Altitude 600 - 775 feet | Decomposing granite
USDA Zone 10b | AHS 6 | Sunset Zone 23 | Köppen Csb | No frost or freezes
Average Low 49 F°/9.4 C° | Average High 79 F°/28.8 C° | Average Rainfall 20"/50.8 cm

• 4 weeks later...

If you are looking for great plants - most likely Phil has it! If not, just walk around his nursery and you'll find many good quality plants you'll want instead! Well worth the trip from Arizona!!!!

I've purchased plants from Phil for many years - always pleased with what I came away with. Always going back for more!!!!! I've got room for more - so, I will be back.

Rod Anderson

Phoenix, Arizona

p.s. He mails stuff too! Packed great!!

If you are looking for great plants - most likely Phil has it! If not, just walk around his nursery and you'll find many good quality plants you'll want instead! Well worth the trip from Arizona!!!!

I've purchased plants from Phil for many years - always pleased with what I came away with. Always going back for more!!!!! I've got room for more - so, I will be back.

Rod Anderson

Phoenix, Arizona

p.s. He mails stuff too! Packed great!!

I too have visited the Jungle Music Nursery. It is fabulous. Teh people who work there are very knowledgable. They are a great nursery.

Phil:

Just wanted to say thanks for the time you gave me last week. The plants I purchased (Syagrus Ruschiana, Prichardia Lanigera) last week are fabulous.....as everything you grow! I especially wanted to thank you for your openness in sharing your expertise in palm propagation. This board is a wonderful place to educate yourself and your posts increase that exponentially.

Dan

North San Diego County Line

3 Miles Inland - 9B at 50' elevation

• 5 weeks later...

Phil has been extremely helpful in selecting and growing palms at my place. He has always taken the time to give me good advice regarding all aspects of palm and cycad cultivation.

My garden has trived due to the expertise of Phil and Jesse Bergman.

Wayne :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Group,

We at Jungle Music pride ourselves in our plants, service and relations with customers. I've tried in vain over the past month to contact the person above ("Leomx") by personal messages. I've not had one response back from four attempts. I do not know what his real name is, when he visited our nursery, or what he purchased. I've looked through our entire sales records for the past 9 months under the name Leo and Leonel and couldn't find anyone with this name. I would like to know why he didn't feel welcome, but can't offer more information at this time. If anyone ever visits us and has any complaint, either at the time or later, I welcome their contacting me directly. It is very rare that we get any complaints, but our viewpoint is that happy customers return. So, we like our customers to be satisfied with their experience at our nursery. If Leomx reads this, please contact me by private message. Thanks.

Phil

Owner

Jungle Music

Jungle Music Palms and Cycads, established 1977 and located in Encinitas, CA, 20 miles north of San Diego on the Coast.  Phone:  619 2914605 Link to Phil's Email phil.bergman@junglemusic.net Website: www.junglemusic.net Link to Jungle Music Palms and Cycads

• 4 weeks later...

Went to Jungle Music last week and had a great experience. Phil and his crew were very helpful and they packaged all the palms I purchased perfectly. After the 400 mile drive back home, the palms looked great and are doing well. Was definetly worth the trip and I will be back.

I have purchased from Phil twice over the past 2 years. Each time, I spoke with him (or IIRC his son) over the phone about my order. I have never visited the nursery, but he shipped my orders to me here in Texas. Each experience was enjoyable, informative and altogether satisfying. I have had palms shipped to me from a number of reputable (even very good) nurseries over the years, but Phil's plants just flat arrive healthier. His plants are also MUCH, MUCH larger for the same pot size than anyone else I have ever dealt with. Given a choice, I will always buy from Phil, because I know the quality of the plants will be better.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

• 1 month later...

Group,

I wanted to thank all of you above for your positive comments. We do our best to please our customers and if there is ever a complaint, we try to correct the problem. I'm writing now to specifically comment on mail orders as many readers here are not in Southern California and would need plants shipped. We've been shipping plants for over 2 decades and pretty much have it down to a science. Jim is right that our plants are typically of good size and quality. When a customer orders, we try to select the best specimen that we have available of what the customer ordered. And, we go to great lengths to insure the plants arrive safely and in good condition. I'm a firm believer that, if the customer is satisfied with his plants, he is more likely to reorder. And, our typical customers reorder multiple times.

Remember that all nurseries and suppliers of plants are not the same. We've posted our credentials above and have invited others to do the same (few have). We host an extremely large website with volumes of information and pictures of palms and cycads. We are a California Certified Nursery and ship to all States within the U.S. We do not have a "shopping cart" at our website because I prefer to talk to the customer directly about their choices to ensure that appropriate species for any given area are being selected. This is time consuming for us, but leads to better successes in growing.

Thanks for reading this and do visit the nursery if you are ever in Southern California.

Phil

• Upvote 1

I just wanted to update my previous post with my most recent Jungle Music experience (last week). For a particular place in the yard, I had decided on a particular species. I spoke to Phil about the order, and he said he wanted to look at his stock and call me back. When we spoke again, he informed me that he did have one specimen of the palm I wanted in the size I wanted, but that it was "just not up to [his] standards." While he suggested several alternatives, he did not "push" at all. I actually have still not made up my mind about this particular order, but the way Phil dealt with the matter was not only friendly and courteous but, in my opinion, extremely professional. If it is possible to have more confidence in and esteem for Phil and Jungle Music than I already had, I do now. He is my "go to" guy.

Jim Robinson

Growing in:

San Antonio, TX Z9a

Key Allegro, TX Z10a

• 3 months later...

I have had nothing but good experiences dealing with Phil. He's a great guy, everyone working with him is great and helpful, and his suggestions are fantastic. I only wish I lived closer. (But, then I'd need another 100 acres to plant palms.) Taking a walk through his extensive array of greenhouses is like being 5 years old at Disneyland for the first time!

Jason

Menlo Park, CA  (U.S.A.) hillside

Min. temp Jan 2007:  28.1 deg. F (-2.2 deg. C)

Min. temp winter 2008: 34.7 deg. F (1.5 deg. C)

USDA Zone 10A since 2000

• 10 months later...

This is my first experience with Jungle Music and I have to say that it was a wonderful one. The order left Phil’s nursery within one day after the order was finalized. His palms are much larger for the pot size than anyone else I have bought from. I am extremly pleased and happy with the quality of the palms that I received. Phil is a great guy, he is friendly, courteous and professional. I would recommend Jungle Music to anyone!

Tulio

Lutz, Florida

• 4 months later...

Phil, Jesse, Rusty, Shon..and the rest of the maniacs that make Jungle Music..,

Are on top of their game all the way! No better selection, no better reverence for their plants, doubt you'll find a more knowledgeable staff!

These guys are legit! Like some have said before, you can't go wrong with JM. They are professional, courteous, knowledgeable, and willing to take

the time to help the customer select uncommon plants that will work for their particular climate and environmental conditions. They played a major

role in turning me into a palm freak and it is a good thing! Thanks again to all at Jungle music for your past and continued help!

-eric (beaumonttropics) hofmann

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

• 1 year later...

I have bought a good amount of palms from Jungle Music I live in inland So Cal in Fullerton we get pretty cold sometimes and we have intense heat in summer ...every single palm from Jungle Music has survived except one, and it was my fault because I over-watered it in the winter. It takes me awhile to drive there but it is always worth the trip. Great customer service, and just an all around wonderful place to spend a Saturday.. Honest too, you wont get ripped off or sold something that isn't what you think it is

• 1 year later...

I purchased a pritchardia munroi and a Pandanus furcatus from Jungle Palms, both were healthy specimens. While prices may be higher at Jungle Palms, Phil has one of the largest inventories in Southern California, and will probably have the one rare thing you are looking for that you can't find anywhere else. I am very happy with the plants I bought.

I didn't get a bluetag from him but the plants still passed our local Santa Cruz County agricultural inspection here, so the plants are clean, no glassy wing sharpshooter and no palm weevils I wish I would have had the chance to visit the nursery when I was down there, but I didn't make it from Norcal to Encinitas until 5PM, so Phil had my plants waiting for me at one of his workers' house.

I hear the nursery has some great stuff to look at, and the Jungle Palm website itself is the most extensive nursery website I've ever seen.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently bought a butia x jubaea and butia yatay from Phil. These are not so easy to come by, and the specimens look great. Had them shipped to florida to put in my cold hardy spots. The greenhouse is so extensive, it probably would take a whole day to see what is in there, and I mean 8 hours... Phil is a fountain of knowledge about palms, I walked out with more knowledge than I came in with.

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 7 months later...

Phil replied to my initial email almost instantly and I put in an order for a couple small 9" liners in the mid afternoon and they got here the next day in perfect shape. I honestly don't think it could have been packed any better, the plants would have survived being tossed around and box kicked. very impressed by the extremely quick turn around

• 2 months later...

Phil has an incredible selection of plants including some real gems. Whether your focus is on palms, cycads, or even understory plants, he has many choices to choose from. The number of plants is so vast as to be mind-boggling. You could easily spend a whole day there and still not see a lot of the plants. Phil also has an extensive knowledge of the plants and is generous in sharing it.

• 6 months later...

Always a positive experience buying from Phil. I've been lucky enough to visit him and his nursery a couple of times when I took trips to San Diego.

I would like to add that while Phil no doubt has tons of customers in California and warmer regions of the US, he's always taken the time to point out a selection I made may not be the best choice for my area (in Nebraska) and usually I will buy it anyway and always sent Phil a note with pictures to show him how they are doing and indeed doing well in my area.

I know he appreciates getting feedback from his customers where he can pass that information along to others. A true friend to the palm hobbyist.

Scott

Omaha, NE

Edited by sashaeffer

• 9 months later...

I really cannot say enough good about Jungle Music. I have mail ordered from them twice now, and stopped by to pick up a haul of palms to bring back on my road trip from San Francisco to Houston back in April. First off, regarding the mail order service. They truly know what they are doing when it comes to packaging palms. They ship with soil, and through the magic of wooden sticks and what must be rolls and rolls of tape, the soil and plants must barely move in transport. I recently ordered six plants to be packed in around one 5 gallon Parajubaea. Shipping cost for the entire haul to Texas only ran $60, and I would have to think they spent that much in packing supplies! Every palm arrived in perfect condition. When I visited the nursery in April, Phil, Jesse, Ricardo, and Alma were all extremely friendly and helpful. They make you feel like their only customer. Each of them has a ridiculous amount of knowledge about their product too, and make sure that your wild ideas for what you want to purchase will actually work. Below is a picture of that latest shipment that arrived today. All are getting used to the weather before they head to their permanent homes. Thanks Phil and crew, you are truly top notch!

-Beau

palms.jpg

Stopped in here during my recent trip to San Diego and met Phil and some of his team. They were all super friendly and helpful. Phil knows his stuff well and gave me plenty of useful advice. He even talked me out of a couple of sales which he didn't think would work well for me which is a big indication that he's more interested in selling quality plants for the right spot than just making a quick buck. Would definitely recommend.

• Upvote 1

• 10 months later...

Great service and follow up.  Have had quite a few mail order experiences with Phil and his staff.  Every one of them was a pleasure.  Customer service is great and they really make sure the plants are wrapped and safe for the journey from one coast to another.  Great selections too.  

• 2 months later...

I wanted to show Palmtalk the beautiful packing and shipping from Phil Bergman's Jungle Music Nursery.  I ordered this Anthurium by telephone, and it arrived at my home just 45 hours later in perfect condition.  Thanks Phil !  :greenthumb::greenthumb:

IMG_4107.JPG

IMG_4108.JPG

IMG_4109.JPG

• Upvote 3

San Francisco, California

• 2 months later...

Phil and Jesse are absolutely the best of the best.  Helpful, nice guys with an amazing selection of high quality plants.  

• Like 1